Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club

Full Version: Archive: Flying this Weekend...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I will be flying this weekend and should be opening up the field tomorrow morning at 8 .00am
See you there
Gazz
Have a good time Mick!
Have an enjoyable trip to Honkers Mick, Hobby King is available on line, cant imagine you will find anything different but I know the enticement of Hobby Shop visits.
See you bright and early Gazz, am off to the boat show mid morning.
Hey I might even make it down to lodge my entry application Shock
Hope to see a crowd down Tommorow while the weathers good Smile

Steve Smile
Weather Update: Hong Kong - 30 degrees & raining! No flying for me today!

Otherwise having a good time. see you all in a couple of weeks
Mick
Wife & Boy away this coming weekend. Was hoping to get in some extra flying but forecast is for strong winds all weekend! Damn! Can contribute to working bee if any happening this weekend - ramp etc.
(09-08-2012, 10:13 PM)helijeli Wrote: [ -> ]Wife & Boy away this coming weekend. Was hoping to get in some extra flying but forecast is for strong winds all weekend! Damn! Can contribute to working bee if any happening this weekend - ramp etc.

Thanks for the offer John.
But I think you may be right with the weather as they predict rain Tommorow and Sat, Lets See What Happens and Hope There Wrong.

The Strip should be Perfect as the Grass is very slow Growing at the moment, and inspection on Wed it Looked Great and very Short.
And Ramp Possibly needs compacting at bottom if dry enough,But thats about It.

As for the Bricked Club House and Bbq Area,Picnic Tables, sheltered area,Charging Bay, Plane Wash Bay.
That can wait, all in Due Time, Flying is more Important Biggrin Its Nice to Dream.

If The Weather is in our Favour i will be Flying Sunday Only.
Sat ? Depends when i Finish working.

Steve Smile
Well, this is crap (weather). Kinda not sorry I haven't got my Stinson ready to maiden this week end.
Yes Steven, looks like yet another weekend where the battery charger gets a bludge!
was going to maiden my yak 54 yesterday or today , looks like a no for another week .
Still might be hope... things are very calm right now. Not for me, though. In light of a recent purchase, I need to grab one of those budget AR4000's for the Stinno from work, as I need to save my 6ch satellite for something that will definitely need it more... in the future Wink
Just had a look at Willyweather, 75% chance of 1-5mm r**n, expected w**ds 20-30kph from 9am, so I will be opting for ways other than flying to fill in time. Tomorrow has more tolerable w**ds and flyable if r**n forecasted steers clear of our field.
Gday Wayne/ All

My read on the weather this weekend is not so diabolical.
For the coast yes rain is likely and will be windy however I don't expect rain out here.
Breeze will pick up in a couple of hours but should be flyable. Brush up on your xwind skills as it will be full component.
More of the same tomorrow methinks with slightly less wind factor.

Cheers
Rob B
Wind skills are indeed a wisely attained skill, but last time I flew in the winds predicted for today, was not just me who succumbed to the accompanying turbulence created by the trees surrounding our strip and 2 out of 2 planes bit the dust. I havent seen postings of anybody else venturing to the field today to brave the elements and do not wish to walk planes in for destruction by myself. Not intended to sound agitated by your comments Rob, just voicing my feeling of insecurity in winds 20kph + at our field once described as a postage stamp and having the ability to fly at one of the most restrictive fields around in the best of conditions means you can fly anywhere in more adverse conditions.
Gday Wayne

In the world of aviation to err on the side of caution is always preferred.
However the point I was trying to make is that the Willy forecast will not apply to us out here in regards to adversity.
As an example I work in Nth Sydney, yesterday it was so windy a roof ripped off a building next to us and I almost got blown off my feet getting my lunch. Here at toonie I had foam/ balsa/ tools and an aircraft on my back veranda ready for the weekend work, I expected to find it all scattered over my back yard however not a single bit out of place.
Using standard forecasts will not be location specific and can be misleading.

Cheers
Rob B
Was looking on Willywaether, as many of our members do, which can be searched location specific. Probably the reason why nobody has posted that they are flying today. Margaret & I both had yesterday off & ventured to Gunnamatta Bay for some childhood reminiscence. Dogs had to be taken of leashes to stop them flying like kites, unbelievable winds. Back home wasnt so bad but still windy, so I see where you are coming from. Even though I have my bronze wings, still lack confidence in my abilities and as such spend many hours on Phoenix so that I can stop having to think about recovery actions by attaining instincts. If you have to think about recovery actions, it is often too late & panic can slow thoughts even further. Trying not to let wind deter me, but at the moment, my decisions on the side of caution still prevail. Like other pastimes, doing it solo, where even the most remote danger exists, should be avoided.
I would be the first person to recommend improving ones skills by flying in a good breeze from time to time. Flying in the wind is not really an issue at all provided your aircraft has a better than average thrust to weight ratio.
The problem however; is compounded 10 fold when you deceide to bring you trusty beast from the heavens and approach terra firma. Turbulance is the big killer especially when there is a variety of building/trees/bush and open ground of varying heights close to your runway.
It is the turbulance caused by these ground features which then get amplified by wind gusts which make approaching the ground a very interesting exersize. It can be smooth sailing one second and then a snappy micro wind shear can punch you aircraft into the deck faster than you can say " What the F**k was that".
So by all means improve your skills but just remember to keep your "Startled Gazzelle" reflexes at the ready.
Gazz
I remember having heaps of fun once with my Floater Jet. Wind was so strong it was flying backwards and i needed full throttle just to get the plane back in front of me again. I remember it was also a challenge keeping the plane level as it was unbelievably twitchy in that wind and that was my issue when it came to landing even though it was a 'hover' type landing.
Sorry to have opened this can of worms after voicing my concerns about the wind Willy Weather correctly forecasted today (thankfully the 75% chance of rain proved unsubstantiated). Forecast for tomorrow is mildly improved and given the discussed benefits Confused of windy weather flying, is anybody game enough to test that theory & open up tomorrow.
PS do we bring a shovel?
Probably a good idea to bring a shovel or even better a matic, along with your wellies.
I will wait to have a look at the conditions in the morning.
If it is still enough, early. I will throw a plane in with my shovel and head down.
I will post in the morning, if the sky is kind.
I will be opening up Early guys, as I love to have a bit of Fun in the Wind as long as its not raining.
Today was a long work Day, so looking forward to some fun Tommorow.

Will post when heading Down

Steve
Thanks Steve, will join you, always wanted to be a Kamikaze
I went to the dog area opposite the field this afternoon.

The wind was gusting quite heavily, and was blowing in a direction that would have been almost coming directly into a pilots back - directly side on to the runway.

It may be the case that the buildings protect the strip enough to get safe takeoffs and landings, it would just mean there is a sudden surprise waiting for anyone flying over the height of that cover.

Good luck to anyone flying tomorrow - I hope you get weather like early this morning where it was relatively still.
Thanks for the well wishes Ben. I expect to be there shortly after 8, dependent on when Steve opens. Forecasted winds early mornings are from SW early swinging to from the south later all under 20kph. This will mean take off & landings from right to left, not my favourite direction but beats the s**t out of crosswinds. Feel free to drop in & hear me curse the turbulence over the willow trees as I come in for a landing Biggrin and Steve defy the wind with speed runs
For the addicted Fliers who need a fix of a few Flights Today i will be heading down shortly.
Conditions are not the best with wind around but it may settle a little, though it looks better than yesterday, as robair mentioned.

Steve Smile
Of course, with it being Monday now, the conditions for flying are very good! Frown
Don't get me started!!!!!!
Gday All

Tomorrow BB and myself will be down at the field filming a video promoting club safety, this may not be ALL we are doing, that's just what the committee thinks is happening. Biggrin
Additionally our "Producer" will not be present so expect poetic licence to be liberally applied.
So, can you please all be on your worst behaviour?

Finally, here is a weather briefing;

0200 UTC 17/08/12 AIRSERVICES AUSTRALIA
GENERAL MET MESSAGE BRIEFING

Prepared for: ROBFLIGHT

YSSY
IDN42903
AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY
NEW SOUTH WALES

SYDNEY AIRPORT WEATHER BRIEFING
ISSUED AT 2303Z ON THE 16/08/2012 [0903 ON THE 17/08/2012 LOCAL]

SYDNEY TAF: (THIS TAF MAY NOT BE THE LATEST ISSUE)
TAF AMD YSSY 162248Z 1700/1806
34015G25KT CAVOK
FM170400 29025G35KT 9999 -RA FEW035 BKN060
FM171200 30018KT 9999 FEW040
FM171800 27018KT 9999 SCT040
FM180000 25020G30KT 9999 SCT040
RMK FM170000 MOD TURB BLW 5000FT
FM171000 MOD/SEV TURB BLW 5000FT
T 16 17 15 13 Q 1006 1003 1003 1005

TAF SUMMARY:
A COLD FRONT IS MOVING THROUGH SOUTHEASTERN AUSTRALIA. A LOW IS
EXPECTED TO FORM NEAR TASMANIA TODAY BEFORE MOVING OUT OVER THE
TASMAN SEA DURING THE WEEKEND. MODERATE NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS AT
THE AIRPORT WILL INCREASE LATER THIS MORNING AND TEND STRONG AND
GUSTY WEST TO NORTHWESTERLY IN THE AFTERNOON WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE
FRONT. WINDS WILL REMAIN FRESH WESTERLY THROUGH THE NIGHT, TENDING
STRONG SOUTHWESTERLY LATER IN THE MORNING ON SATURDAY. EXPECT
TURBULENCE BELOW 5000 FEET THROUGHOUT FORECAST PERIOD.

THUNDERSTORM POTENTIAL:
VERY SLIGHT CHANCE WITHIN 20NM OF SYDNEY AIRPORT FRIDAY 00/04Z,
MOSTLY SEAWARDS.

OTHER POSSIBILITIES:
TIMING OF THE WESTERLY CHANGE TOMORROW +/- 1 HOUR.
20% CHANCE OF CROSS-WIND ABOVE 20 KNOTS ON PARALLELS THROUGHOUT
FORECAST PERIOD.
60% CHANCE OF CROSS-WIND ABOVE 25 KNOTS SUSTAINED FOR LONG PERIODS
THIS AFTERNOON, 04-10Z.
30% CHANCE OF MOD/SEV TURBULENCE BETWEEN 00-10Z.

SYDNEY OUTLOOK:
SATURDAY : PARTLY CLOUDY. CITY MAX: 18
SUNDAY : MOSTLY SUNNY. CITY MAX: 18

REGARDS
FRANCOIS UNTIL 7PM THEN CHRIS.
NOTES:
1. THIS BRIEFING IS NOT AMENDED BETWEEN ROUTINE ISSUES. FOR
OPERATIONAL PLANNING, REFERENCE SHOULD BE MADE TO THE LATEST TAF OR
TTF.

I went to the dog park opposite the field this afternoon.

I saw some very light r... in the general area this afternoon, but it seemed to have entirely missed the field. The ground seemed fine.

Im hoping to fly on Sunday.