Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club

Full Version: Archive: Flying this Weekend...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,
I only have a couple of hours today so I am going to the field at 8-00am this morning.
Anyone know if the gates will be open?

Cheers
Chris M
Looks like we have a gate issue, It is on the agenda for the next committee meeting on Wednesday, all welcome!
Although the weather was wonderful, it was a disappointing session of flying for me yeaterday. It was my only chance to get to the field for several weeks and I was on a tight time budget.

My little P51-ish foamy is having a holiday in the reeds just left of the red bush at the right end of the flying field. (If you happen to go in near there, please pick it up if you see it Smile ). I only had things so I've cut my feet a little but also a noticeable cut on my knee.

A warning to all who venture into the woods - watch out for very sharp reeds and sticks.

The upside is that the weather and company was great and I did get a couple of flights in with my rebuilt BYOB (biplane) before the gates opened and my PT-20 after emerging from the reeds.
Hi Drew,
I missed you by a couple of minutes yesterday.
I called in to pickup the Depron from you as I was not
flying yesterday.
Never mind, I'm in no great hurry just let me know the next time
you plan to be down the field and I'll try again.
Sorry to have missed you Paul. I was on a bit of a timeline yesterday and we were back to back with running about for the whole afternoon!

I'm hoping to get to the field before the Christmas do and very much hoping the date is set soon so I can be there for the finction (there's already competition for the 18th Frown ).

I'll post before I go down next so you'll know. We could possibly make a time so I will wait for you.
Hi Guys,

Due to the weather & condition of the field I shall not be flying @ all this weekend - see how next week goes???

Ingo
Doubt I'll make it down on Saturday but am hoping for Sunday
Had a few minutes free today and also had the car
so I called into the field at 1pm to see what sort of condition it was in.
The driveway is good, and from the top you think the runways look great.
Unfortunately as soon as you get down to the bottom of the driveway
the ground becomes very wet.
The runways and taxiways have quite a lot of surface water lying on them
with some large puddles in the middle of the runways.
The car parking area is not bad as is the Pit area but heaven help anyone who is unlucky enough
to come down on the wrong side of the creek. I doubt if you could get your car around there
due to the amount of water in the long grass.
It was nice and quiet down there today except for the sounds of the frogs which seem
to be hiding in the long grass.
I reckon if no more rain was to fall between now and Sunday you could use the field
but be prepared for some muddy conditions.
I would not suggest going down tomorrow unless you have just hand launch and belly landers
Thanks Paul,

If it doesn't rain tomorow I may then venture down on Sunday morning - but saying that it depends alot on the weather - it's been terrible.
I wont be flying this weekend AGAIN, I know.......... I cant believe it myself.

Working tomorrow (whoppie) and V8s on Sunday, so I suppose I can live for 1 more week without flying!

But it will be difficult.

I hate December!!!!!!!!!!

See you all soon .... I hope.

Gazz
Another Weeekend Washout for Flying Frown

And Who said we needed a desalination Plant with all this rain, I Think we Needed a Dam instead.

Great weekend For Xmas Shopping Wink

Steve

Thanks for the field report PJ - it's a shame there's so much water on the ground because it would otherwise be good flying weather: Overcast and reasonably still air.
Them's the breaks ...
I'm really going to have to work on those floats for mt PT-20. although, I could use SRL's landing method and just pluck it out of the sky from a hover Wink.
As much as I'd love to show off the new Trex 600 Heli to all, it will have to wait until the conditions improve..I'll just have to keep flying it on the vacant block of land next door to home.
Weather doesn't look too bad at the moment. I don't expect the gates to be open or the field to be dry but I think I'll walk in with a least 1 plane for a few flights. Will head down around 9am.
@#@$#$##@@! !!!
Bugger! Only recently finished repairing my Lark and I've crashed it again!
I've had some issues landing it since I put the brake on the speedy and don't get the added Prop drag on landing. It comes in fast and long and I've ended up stopping in the bush along the driveway at the end of the strip (and almost taken out Rob's wife's car once!) a few times. Today I was still airbourne and hit the Scrub & some thick branches, breaking the wing with some impressive crunching noises. So after a short tantrum, I packed up and went home to pout. It's a Favourite Plane so I'll attempt repairs, although balsa covered foam core will test my repair skills.
Bummer!!! At least its a nice clean 'cut' and the rest of the sirframe looks good.
Thats a bummer dude, instead of adding drag you could try bringing the CoG rearward a smidge, will help with getting it to slow down for a flare.
Hi Aviators
Has any one been down to the field in the last few days and got a strip condition report. I havent flown for 3 weeks and was wondering what aircraft to bring with me.
Gazz
(10-12-2010, 05:21 PM)gbanger Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Aviators
Has any one been down to the field in the last few days and got a strip condition report. I havent flown for 3 weeks and was wondering what aircraft to bring with me.
Gazz

Yes Gazz - Owen and I have just got back from the field and it's in good condition: No water at all on the ground and no large soft muddy patches on the runways. The grass is not too long either, but of course that won't stay the same for long.
In short - we're good to go, barring any heavy overnight rainfall.

Hope to see you there mate!
Colin, John and I ventured out for a fly this morning. Unfortunately, none have access to a key so we were operating on a reduced fleet.
However, the runway looks excellent! From the top of the hill, I though the bikes had been back but it was just Darren's tracks after going thorugh the puddles (no dents just brown smudges Smile).

There is a nasty big puddle on the left at the beginning of the runway (landing left to right) which I used my prop to measure the depth of. It's ok - it helped wash off the mud from the rolling take-offs earlier.

The wind was up a bit which meant you had to actually fly the planes and manage throttle contrle a bit but as I haven't flown for a month, it was great to get a session in.

Hopefully, the rain will hold off long enough for tomorrow to be a great day for all.

PS: if you're trekking through the reeds near the right end of the runway, please look out for my P51ish foamy that went in a few weeks back.
My work has changed for tomorrow, looks like I'll be able to get down for a couple of hours in the morning after all! Yay. I'll bring the Trex 600, and the Spitty.
I am planning on going flying for a few hours only tomorrow morning.
Will be opening up at about 8am weather permitting.
Gazz
T
(25-12-2010, 04:14 PM)gbanger Wrote: [ -> ]I am planning on going flying for a few hours only tomorrow morning.
Will be opening up at about 8am weather permitting.
Gazz

See you there
Steve Smile

Unfortunately Pat is unwell and has severe back pain.
I won't be down tomorrow and probably not Monday or Tuesday either.
Will wait and see how she recovers after a couple of days rest.
Hi All

Paul, Sorry to Hear Pat is not well hope she gets well soon, Back Pain is the worst.

Well i Got to Laugh, with the Weather deciding to turn and Rain this Morning Just when i was Planning to Have some Serious Air Time Today,I'm being Punished for not being down for so long.

Will be around all this week so Will post when i Head down and Fly if any one is keen to Join and Hopefully the weather will Change for the better soon.

Looking forward to catching up with All.

Steve Smile
Happy new year pilots
I have been at work pretty much non stop for the last 2 months until 2pm today.
2011 I get my flight life back.
So with that said I will be at the field tomorrow from 8.30.
Hope to see you there

Gazz
I took my family to Armidale just before Christmas, and apparently I have to bring them home again. Smile I'll be up there this weekend. Happy New Year everyone, happy flying this weekend.

Happy New Year!!!!
We just got home from watching the fireworks @ Woolwich.

I'm going to get a bit of a cat nap and then join Gary at the field (It might be a little later than 8:30am tho Wink)
Happy ... (hic) ... New Year, all,
Just got in a little while ago from a trip to The Rocks ... the less said about it the better. Too late to charge batteries now, so see you Sunday ...
S