Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club

Full Version: Archive: Flying this Weekend...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wind forecast looks reasonable early morning. Is the strip dry enough for wheeled take-offs/landings.
Where are you flying Gazz?
Just checked the forecast...looks OK... will have to wait till the morning to make a desicion.
If its good I will be going to PEMAC about 8.30 ... to maiden my Super Tucano.
George you have been warned!
Anyone flying at PRCAC this morning?
(15-07-2012, 09:40 AM)popeyepete Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone flying at PRCAC this morning?

Yes I'm Bringing the Supercub for a possible maiden.
I'm coing down with a couple of Helis. Although I can already see the wind starting to pick up (at Cheerybrook). Probably there after 10 - slept in.
This thread doesn't get used much anymore. Ah well, hopefully this weekend will be flying-friendly. Forecast is for moderate winds but mainly fine. Will probably head down to the field first thing for a few hours.
Willy says today has a 10% chance of showers & SW cross winds Frown around 12kph. I presume the strip to be suitably dried out for a fly Smile and mowed by Steve Thumbup (many thanks). As winds are picking up towards noon, am hoping for an early fly with my new Eratix.
Thanks to Steve and John for helping Ben out with the Blu-Baby today - hopefully he can get some stick-time with one of our instructors next weekend.
Cheers!
Always there to help out, and it was a strange day Today with something for everyone.
With all the seasons of Sun, Rain, Wind, Cold, and in the Air "Ze Plane! Ze Plane!"

Steve Smile
It was an interesting day - for the hour or so I was there there was sun, cloud, wind, almost rain..... thanks to those who have confirmed I have a flyable plane (after I reattach some bits securely and do a bind again). My thumbs are definately getting itchy.
Had been merrily watching Willeys wind forecast decrease for Saturday, eagerly anticipating a fly at McCoy with the Eratix. Then comes the rain, has been a miserable Groundhog Day type repeat at our field for who knows how long. Oh well, looks like a 35k trek to Pemac for me again tomorrow.
The runway is still mushy at the western end and there's one pool of standing water which needs avoiding completely, but the strip is probably just good enough to use tomorrow if most of the traffic is at the eastern end.

For those of you who do intend to be there tomorrow, please seek me out as I've received the MAAA Membership Cards and I'd like to give them to you.
(28-07-2012, 05:57 PM)smuzz Wrote: [ -> ]The runway is still mushy at the western end and there's one pool of standing water which needs avoiding completely, but the strip is probably just good enough to use tomorrow if most of the traffic is at the eastern end.

For those of you who do intend to be there tomorrow, please seek me out as I've received the MAAA Membership Cards and I'd like to give them to you.
Hi Steve, went down this afternoon and agree with what you say.
Don't you reckon however that driving in is a bit dodgy at this point
in time?. Ramp was pretty slippery underfoot I thought.
I parked up and walked in and hadn't thought about driving in Victor, I must admit - I guess we should have a look at it tomorrow with your warning in mind. Thanks mate.
By the way, I have some heat-shrink tubing for you to use on your motor or ESC too (I remember we talked about that when we met at the shopping centre a couple of weeks ago).
(28-07-2012, 06:38 PM)smuzz Wrote: [ -> ]I parked up and walked in and hadn't thought about driving in Victor, I must admit - I guess we should have a look at it tomorrow with your warning in mind. Thanks mate.
By the way, I have some heat-shrink tubing for you to use on your motor or ESC too (I remember we talked about that when we met at the shopping centre a couple of weeks ago).

I remember meeting you but to be honest I forgot all about the heat-shrink.
Nonetheless thanks for your kind thought.
Was adamant I'd be flying tomorrow but at this stage I'm not quite sure I can make it down to the field...........family stuff........will just have to wait and see how the day pans out.

You have a good day flying!!
OK mate - no worries, all the best!
We had to close the gate today as Stephen slid down the ramp.
After todays sun I think it should be alright but I implore members not to brake too much coming down the ramp as that will cause you too slide, Simply roll down the hill while keeping to the right as much as possible.

When going back up the ramp, try to build up some momentum approaching the ramp and use that to coast back up the hill.

Members that approach the ramp slowly and try to power their way up it are damaging it.
If the ramp is damp enough that throttle application is causing damage then it is obviously TOO WET and should not be used!
Would putting sand down on the ramp help at all?
I've got about half a cubic metre in bags which could be poured over the suspect areas.
Plus a metre if bluemetal & a few bags of cement & it would be on the money
Yeh ... I was only thinking of a short-term fix that could be applied before most members turned up tomorrow and might suffice for the day, rather than anything substantially like a real long-term solution.
I'll give it a miss though as I'd rather put planes in the car, than bags of sand.
Sorry Steve, was kind of you to offer, should have also expressed that it may have offered a little extra grip for the first car, but hardly worth the effort or cost.
I dont really own any planes that I am comfortable landing on only half of the strip and am keen to get some Eratix flying in, so am off to PEMAC again today. Just hoping that the wind keeps at bay. Anybody else venturing west?
Hi guys, we need to fix the ramp properly before it gets a lot worse, maybe it's time to go really good working be, not sure how that the club's budget is . Maybe we'll all have to contribute, some funds to help repair it properly,
not sure how members feel about that. But maybe that's the only way to get fixed properly.

Kind regards, Bob.

I was thinking about this during the afternoon.

Is there a pole or something strong and well dug in on the non-retaining wall side of the slope at the top? If there is (or we can put one in), I was thinking of a mesh of heavy chain link, secured with dynabolts to the concrete wall at top and bottom of slope, secured at the top to a post of some sort and let the bottom far corner hang free. The chain should provide enough grip for people to drive on (assuming they dont try to rally drive over it) and the dynabolts should mean that it will be there regardless of weather.

Thoughts?
Seeing as I havent got the secret sign-in handshake yet (or I have yet to pay for membership) that post is locked to me. Im going to take a guess though that a comparable idea was considered and then rejected.
The other forum has been locked to members only so that discussions can be made between members only. Many people have many suggestions, and whilst welcomed, some may not be acceptable to some readers & cause conflicts detrimental to the club. We rent our field from Parramatta Council and whilst all works are cleared by them, open forum discussions may be misread as intended works without permission. Simple answer is join the club and be part of a great team.
Hi Ben,

I doubt your idea was rejected as such. All options are in play but the favoured option thus far is giving the ramp a scrape (bobcat or the like) so that is not convex with a smoother straighter descent. Then covering the surface with gravel. Possibly a diversion for seepage after r--n (dare I utter the word).

Simple thing are never simple. Blacktown Council has jurisdiction at the top of the ramp and Parramatta Council has jurisdiction at the bottom being the actual catchment zone. Parramatta owns the concrete walls and would more than likely not allow drilling and Dynabolts. Heck, we can't create lines on the grass for designating pilot areas. All part of the rules of use.
I won't be flying this weekend as I'm playing with the Big Boys toys today. Flying out to Hong Kong today - yay! BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin. Just wanted to make that announcement to the world! Still trying to work a HobbyKing visit into my iternery!

See you all in 2 weeks or so!
BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

Mick