Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club

Full Version: Archive: Flying this Weekend...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sure all appreciate the efforts in preparing the field for a possible weekend of flying. I did not attend the field last weekend due to my need for a runway solid enough to at least support wheels when landing. That was my first weekend of non attendance to the field since Parramatta airshow and withdrawals were hardfelt. I will again be suffering those withdrawals this weekend as my fiance's father passed away this morning and I am in Culburra helping support Marg & her mum during this emotional time.
Hope the field dries out for all to enjoy successful flying this weekend.
Cheers
My sincere condolences Wayne
Hope to see you next weekend with an even dryer airfield.
I will be opening up at 8 am weather permitting.
Gazz
Won't be there this weekend. My wife needs the car in the AM, then a kids party to go to in the PM.

Sunday...well....bad career move to be anywhere but home on THAT day.

Hopefully see you all next weekend.
I'm at soccer early but hope to be able to stay well after lunch.
Well looks like the Saturday fliers had great weather today.
Hope you all enjoyed your flying.
I was planning on flying tomorrow but have decided that
I better do the right thing seeing it's Mother's Day and we are
having the family come over for a barbie.Smile
Hopefully next weekend has good weather and I'll be there.
Enjoy yourselves tomorrow and clear skies.
Without any rain over the week, I expect the field to be in good condition - but I'll go over there some time tomorrow (Friday) and have a look around.

The most alarming thing at the moment is the forecast for high winds. It's been pretty gusty over the past two days, but Willy is saying 30+ km/h for Saturday morning and 20+ km/h for Sunday. Very unwelcome numbers to say the least. Can't do too much about it though, so we'll just have to wait and see.
If its dry enough we might consider an early Saturday morning mower owners meeting. It will be very thick in places on the main and cross strip and need a good short back and sides.
Gazz
I can help. I need to leave by 9.30 though so best if we start early again.

Edit: checked out the field 10am this morning when travelling through. The council has been and cut a stripe through the long grass. The large areas under the power lines over the creek have been cut. No issues with the runways. Looks like they had the cutters down when they drove toward the heli practice area then back of the fence line near Grace removals. All ok. Someone else looks like they have done some mowing during the week as well. We need to thank whoever that was as the cross strip is in great shape and nicely mowed. It appears that elves tried on the main strip but could only do where the ground was firm. The pit area needs a small trim but it would be no issue if nothing was done. It is fine also.

It would be good to mow some more on the main strip to make it like the other areas. It is not hugely overgrown at all. I reckon one or two mowers only and would take 30-45 minutes max. I have photos but will put in field condition report.

OK I hope to be down this weekend to finally maiden my Gaui 550! It's been a while coming whilst I get my head around swash mixes, gyro's, curves and head speed - but I think I am there. Everything looks good.

Do I need to do anything/speak to anyone in particular before flying? (I'm not a member yet).

Cheers!

Graham
The wind forecasts might have been unnecessarily alarmist - Willy has changed his mind and now says 14 km/h tomorrow morning. This is more like it and hopefully the trend will continue!
(13-05-2011, 09:02 AM)northerner Wrote: [ -> ]OK I hope to be down this weekend........
Do I need to do anything/speak to anyone in particular before flying? (I'm not a member yet).

Cheers!
Graham

Graham, please check out our rules as per our web site. In particular PRCAC flight rules: line 1

http://www.rcflyingclub.com/docs/PRCACRules.pdf

Note the requirement for MAAA membership. If you don't have this the only way is the use of a buddy cord with a Flying Instructor.

Kevin B
Thanks Kevin,

I will start another thread regarding this so as to not take this OT!

Cheers,

Graham Smile
Hoping to be down Tommorow if finish work early otherwise will be down on Sunday.

P.s
John P, good to see you Today, but would be better down the field Flying. Hope your wife gets better soon.

Steve
Kev is in Melbourne this weekend so I'm doing
the soccer dad duties with Ryan.Smile
I won't be down Sat but hope to be down for awhile on Sunday
So Dave
Do you think the main strip needs mowing.
Keeping in mind, thick not necessarily long grass plays havoc with small undercarriages.
If it does I will be there at 7 with the beast.
Gazz
(13-05-2011, 08:01 PM)gbanger Wrote: [ -> ]So Dave
Do you think the main strip needs mowing.
Keeping in mind, thick not necessarily long grass plays havoc with small undercarriages.
If it does I will be there at 7 with the beast.
Gazz

Gazz, let's do the mowing in the morning. It won't take long. Only the main strip "needs" a cut and only at the ends (refer field conditions thread for pictures). The pit area can do with a 3 minute trim and 5 min trim for the heli pad. We'd be finished in 30-45 minutes and all would appreciate the bowling greens to fly off / land on.

[We all need to thank whoever did the cross strip and some of the main runway. I don't think the council did this as it is too precise for the tractor and on the main strip, the wheel span suggests a Victa or similar].

I'll join you at 7.00am.

D.

Edit: Seems the mystery mower was ChrisM - but from last weekend. The grass grew so little you'd swear it was done mid week. Good news then... today's mowing effort from the Parra Precision Mowing Team (abbreviate to P.M.T.) means we won't need to do a precision mowing display for quite a few weeks I'd guess.
See you at 7 Dave.
I think I will drop the height of the beast 1 click. After our last effort I know the strip was pretty good but I think a little bit more short back and sides would be a lot more landing gear friendley and give longer between mows particularly at this time of the year.
Gazz
(13-05-2011, 09:46 PM)gbanger Wrote: [ -> ]See you at 7 Dave.
I think I will drop the height of the beast 1 click. After our last effort I know the strip was pretty good but I think a little bit more short back and sides would be a lot more landing gear friendley and give longer between mows particularly at this time of the year.
Gazz

Roger Gbanger. Out.
Thanks to all the Guys who helped in mowing of the strip this morning, you know who you are and we know who you are, Great Job.

As For Flying, I will be Down again Tomorrow morning about the same time as Ingo gets down there.

(Got to love that wind today lots of fun it was, but would hope for calmer conditions tomorrow)

p.s Wayne more than happy to Buddy On Tomorrow and who ever else too who wants a buddy

Steve Smile
I flew my (2) batteries out on the Logo early before taking youngest to netball. Nothing left to fly after lunch so you will see me bright and early tomorrow.

And what a nice surprise this afternoon Thumbup. A knock at the door revealed an Australia Post contractor with 2 more batteries. Happy days Smile .

It certainly was windy this afternoon, I managed to get down to the field around midday, The upgrade motor/ESC for my fun-jet arrived in the post Friday arvo so Saturday morning was spent mounting those in the air frame.
I took it down there to give it it's first flight with a couple of 1800 4s packs
many thanks to Stephen b for hand launching it for me!! and thanks also for lending me a decent prop. I'll be ordering some more shortly and I'll replace that one for you.

Well what can I say it's just a HOOT to fly it certainly is able to take up some sky Smile

Sadly a touch and go with the motor running busted the prop and lost me the prop adapter. By the time I got back from home with a new one the everyone had left but I managed to walk down and get in another two flights. The funjet returned home with no further damage.
The wind this morning stopped a few souls from braving the gusts...myself included...except for the trex 600 which seemed to bounce through them ok.

Gazz flew his bi plane beautifully, as did Owen with his T28. Colin's pusher prop thingy (sorry Colin I can't remember what it is) flew nicely in the conditions, although I was told the landing wasn't right in front of him. Smile (I missed it).

Steve & Kieran put on a fantastic display of "slow-speed" flying with their respective Striker and Funjet, as only they know how. Smile I'm glad I have an expensive tripod for the camera because the fluid in it was smoking just trying to keep up with them.

I have a video of this morning's fun on the "videos" forum...If it's not there yet, give it time for me to actually upload it. Smile
(14-05-2011, 06:29 PM)Skidz Wrote: [ -> ]And what a nice surprise this afternoon Thumbup. A knock at the door revealed an Australia Post contractor with 2 more batteries. Happy days Smile .

I don't think anyone's going to complain about seeing the Logo strut its stuff for twice as long to be honest Dave. Beautiful machine.

Graham
Hey Guys..

Weather is looking OK I guess.. 10K Winds Saturday...
FOG then clearing .. SOMEONE BRING A CAMERA/VID.. Imagine the great video you could get of planes/choppers taking off in the FOG etc... Once your in the air and can't see your bird.. well,, G'luck with that Paranoid

[attachment=1362]

Wish I could be there to see the action...
Fog is bad for visibility but absolutely lethal for 2.4ghz. I remember an early morning in winter a few years back where I went failsafe only 5m up and only at the far end of the strip! Luckily I was just crusing slow, straight and level with the Stryker, it came back online and I landed immediatley!
i am soooooo flying on sunday this week, i miss it ! cant wait guys!
I'm planning on being there in the morning as Sunday is out for me (family stuff). Fog could be a pain. Not sure how the fog effects radio though. Could be a Spektrum DSM thing Wink . Will see how things look in the morning. Might take the camera for that "interesting" foggy photo.
I will be opening up at 8 am, see you all there.
Gazz
I left the house at about 7:00am today to walk to the station - as soon as I got outside the house, I could hear the lines crackling in the damp air! I guess my house would be at least 300m from the closest tower, but it sounded like a frying-pan full of bacon.
Don't know what time it was before the sun burned all the fog off, but visibility wasn't great let alone the potential 2.4G signal attenuation with the water in the air.
I noticed that Willy has removed the fog from tomorrow's forecast though - it was there last night but is gone now, perhaps it won't be so bad tomorrow. Certainly, the wind-speed at only 5 km/h in the morning sounds good Smile
See you there!