Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

(01-10-2017, 09:30 PM)wmarkman Wrote:  I will be coming to the field next weekend!

You are most welcome both days but, as Barry suggests, we will be hosting an fpv quad racing event on the Sunday, so the flying field will be closed to regular flying activities from about 8am till about 4pm. If you are available please come down and check out the action. It will be a fun but busy day.

Long weekend, and the hour shift I suspect that got in the way of attendance today, I certainly got down there later than normal, abt 11am. Dirk was down there early for a few flights, but you must have come in between. Come next Saturday... Sunday the field is closed for an racing event, but that make a good spectacle.

I went out early and then checking my time on the phone it was an hour later than I expected ! Time goes faster on the field, me totally forgetting about the hour shift had nothing to to with it ! Had 3 flights with my Hyperbipe but then had to leave for a family day out hike in the blue mountains.

Good to hear there was some great action later in the day !

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Hi,
My name is Gerald Arnold. I have dropped into the field today with my kids. I spent some time with a few people, who gave me some great advise on the best way to set-up my plane. Fantastic help that is greatly appreciated. I bought a Tarannis Q X7 and a Strix Stratosurfer, and I've been practising on a sim for a couple of months. I used to fly a balsa/petrol plane about 10-15 years ago.
After I've made the suggested modifications to the plane, I'll drop back in again for fly (hopefully). I'm aiming for next weekend.
Gerald

Hello, I currently own 4 Helicopters listed below. Just wondering if you have many Heli flyers in the club.
1. Align Trex 150
2. Align Trex 450L Dominator
3. Align Trex 470LP Dominator [upgraded to metal parts]
4. Blade 300x
I am using a Devo 10 Radio [I have 2 of them, so could setup a buddy system with some assistance] into which I have installed a 4 in 1 module, allowing me to control most protocols on the market. I also have Realflight 7.5 [interlink Elite Controller Edition] flight simulator.
I am a beginner flyer who can hover no issues tail in but still trying to learn orientation and would like to join an RC club with helicopter flyers that can assist in my progress in flying. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

(31-01-2018, 05:17 PM)TrexHeliFlyer Wrote:  Hello, I currently own 4 Helicopters listed below. Just wondering if you have many Heli flyers in the club.
1. Align Trex 150
4. Blade 300x
I am using a Devo 10 Radio [I have 2 of them, so could setup a buddy system with some assistance] into which I have installed a 4 in 1 module, allowing me to control most protocols on the market. I also have Realflight 7.5 [interlink Elite Controller Edition] flight simulator.
I am a beginner flyer who can hover no issues tail in but still trying to learn orientation and would like to join an RC club with helicopter flyers that can assist in my progress in flying. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

G’day Steve,

Wow, nice set of aircraft you have there!

We do have a few conventional heli flyers. One of our newest (Quang) is actually a sponsored pilot at competition level.

If you are still getting the hang of flying with control and in different orientations (other than tail in) then I would strongly urge you to keep at the conventional heli flying in simulation while getting to know our flying field, and familiarising yourself flying in various orientations, using a fixed wing plane and/or a multicopter. This will almost certainly save you a heap of money, heartache and stress while also mitigating much of the risk involved.

I look forward to meeting you down at the field.

Regards,

J.

(01-02-2018, 03:39 AM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  
(31-01-2018, 05:17 PM)TrexHeliFlyer Wrote:  Hello, I currently own 4 Helicopters listed below. Just wondering if you have many Heli flyers in the club.
1. Align Trex 150
4. Blade 300x
Steve

G’day Steve,

Wow, nice set of aircraft you have there!

We do have a few conventional heli flyers. One of our newest (Quang) is actually a sponsored pilot at competition level.

If you are still getting the hang of flying with control and in different orientations (other than tail in) then I would strongly urge you to keep at the conventional heli flying in simulation while getting to know our flying field, and familiarising yourself flying in various orientations, using a fixed wing plane and/or a multicopter. This will almost certainly save you a heap of money, heartache and stress while also mitigating much of the risk involved.

I look forward to meeting you down at the field.

Regards,

J.

Thanks for that J, I actually know of Quang, as my friend I fly with is good friends with the owner of RC Crew Hobbies,Chris, who I believe knows Quang quite well.
Steve

(20-01-2018, 08:44 PM)GezArnold Wrote:  Hi,
My name is Gerald Arnold. I have dropped into the field today with my kids. I spent some time with a few people, who gave me some great advise on the best way to set-up my plane. Fantastic help that is greatly appreciated. I bought a Tarannis Q X7 and a Strix Stratosurfer, and I've been practising on a sim for a couple of months. I used to fly a balsa/petrol plane about 10-15 years ago.
After I've made the suggested modifications to the plane, I'll drop back in again for fly (hopefully). I'm aiming for next weekend.
Gerald

Hi Gerald, thanks for posting... sorry for the late reply, look forward to seeing you again.
Did you make any research in the taranis-X7 trainer connection, re the issue we had?

Hi,

I want to get into the sport (rc planes, not helis) and was wondering what the best time to wander down and say hello might be?

Cheers,

Josh.

Hi Josh, a good time is on Saturday and Sunday mornings (weather permitted), there you'll find a few members flying and very willing to answer any questions you have about the hobby of RC aircraft.
Keep an eye on the post in this part of the forum regarding "Flying tomorrow" where we mostly communicate with other club members.

Regards Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

(04-02-2018, 09:58 AM)robbo Wrote:  
(20-01-2018, 08:44 PM)GezArnold Wrote:  Hi,
Gerald

Hi Gerald, thanks for posting... sorry for the late reply, look forward to seeing you again.
Did you make any research in the taranis-X7 trainer connection, re the issue we had?

I've done some research, bit it is an odd one. The 2 theories that I have tracked down that may apply are:

1) The slave transmitter had some channels set differently to the master, but I don't think this is true as I'm sure we checked this.
2) Differences in the OpenTX versions may cause the mappings of the channels to be different on the 2 Transmitters. This may be true, I'm running the latest version (2.2.1) on mine, so I guess if yours had an older version of OpenTX, they may have changed the way mapping of the channels is done (maybe???).

I was out at the field on Saturday, and everyone out there was great. We didn't have a working buddy system again, but we did the same as last time and stood close ready to hand the transmitter over asap. I can not thank everyone enough for all the help and support, it has made it a real pleasure to fly with you all.

Good to here. I'm not sure what version my OpenTX is... but I dont think I have upgraded in more than a year... so seems it might time.

Hi guys

I have moved recently from Brisbane.
I am wondering if I could come this Sunday morning, if I am allowed to fly with my foamies.
For helicopters I got bronze wings, gold for planes. I am really keen for flying and meet new people.

Cheers!

Gunter i am going down weather permitting tomorrow ... should be there by 10ish

Thanks to visitors who came down today, Gun, Suraj and Adam... was a nice day even though not many down there, hope to see you all again.

Good job for Suraj too. We had some plane setup challenges and a bit of wind occasionally, but once we got the plane set and trimmed he was flying pretty good tight circuits, with the stabilizer OFF and no buddy lead... just a nervous instructor reaching for the TX... really good learning today.

Hey all,

I'm going for my drone licence, finishing 13 April to do film work, mainly for activists (for free). I'll be rated to 7kg, not like that seems to mean much with the crazy speeds they go.

I'd like to connect with you all to understand drone components, builds, etc, and see how you all fly.

I'm also after a rig, so if anyone is selling something to get to speed, let me know.

Thanks! Smile)

(27-03-2018, 07:59 PM)swooned Wrote:  Hey all,

I'm going for my drone licence, finishing 13 April to do film work, mainly for activists (for free). I'll be rated to 7kg, not like that seems to mean much with the crazy speeds they go.

I'd like to connect with you all to understand drone components, builds, etc, and see how you all fly.

I'm also after a rig, so if anyone is selling something to get to speed, let me know.

Thanks! Smile)

The field is generally well populated between 9am and 12am most Saturdays and Sundays, provided weather permits it. Check the forecast for wind and rain, or reach out on the forum here, before heading down at your next convenience to say g’day. We are always happy to welcome new people and provide assistance and guidance where nessesary and possible.

As for the rig you are after. If it is for your activist work then perhaps a DJI Mavic Air would be perfect for your needs. It is pretty tiny, and seems much like a toy, but it is incredibly capable and a perfect platform for capturing quality 4K footage of most things including natural and build landscapes, and the like. If you have a more complex or other specific application in mind, for which the little DJI Mavic Air is not suitable, or you would like to source some other type of craft such as a conventional RC plane, helicopter or FPV racing drone, just let us know and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction.

Regards,

J.

Hi Guys,

Just moved to the area and found you guys! I'm planning on coming around to check out the club.

I am a multirotor pilot with two quads and a heavy lift hex (mainly all video platforms), however I am looking to learn fixed wing flight soon Biggrin

(03-04-2018, 03:14 PM)MickeyB Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Just moved to the area and found you guys! I'm planning on coming around to check out the club.

I am a multirotor pilot with two quads and a heavy lift hex (mainly all video platforms), however I am looking to learn fixed wing flight soon Biggrin

G’day Michael,

No worries. We love multirotors, but mostly fly fixed wing. There’s been a few new guys learnin’ to fly, and we generally have people around able to lend a hand.

I look forward to meeting you.

Kindest regards,

J.

Welcome to the forum Michael.

Hope to catch you down at the field some time

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Guys!!

First of all English is not my first language so sorry for my mistakes.

Hey, I would like to join your club, I've been flying planes and Helicopters for over 15 years.

Currently I have 2 Cessnas an UMX from Horizont and another one from TopRc both of them with less than 1 meter wingspan and I am wating for another UMX Mustang.

Reading your rules I got few questions because I don't know how this Hobby works in Australia.

"1. Members & visitors intending to fly must be financial members of the MAAA to fly at
this field. Visitors must present their current MAAA card & and all certificates required
for their model before flying."

Where do I get these "current MAAA card & and all certificates required
for their model before flying"?

"4. Transmitters should conform to the MAAA’s guidelines."
How do I know that?

"5. Members and guests are to be qualified to a bronze wing standard before flying solo."
Where do I get bronze wings?

"8. No aircraft is to exceed 93 db with a tolerance of 3 db. To exceed this means no flying
and no running of engines."
How do I meassure this?

"11. It is recommended that members do not fly alone."
Why?

If I am a member, can I access the club during weekdays?

Is there any chance for a visitor from overseas to fly in the club?

I know there are big and dangerous models, I used to fly up to 1/3 of scale, or other models that could reach 300+ Km/h
Maybe I am getting things wrong here but It sounds very complicated, if someone could answer me I'd appreciate that.

Regards

G’day Gabino,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to our forum. We’re always happy to welcome new flyers to the club.

1. The Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club, like all such clubs, is an MAAA affiliated association. You are issued an MAAA membership card when you join an official flying club.

4. Most modern remote control equipment conforms to relevant MAAA guidelines. I can go into further detail here, feel free to share the type of radio you use and I will endevour to advise whether it meets relevant standards and why.

5. When you join the club one of our suitably qualified members will evaluate your ability to fly with control, see this link for context.

8. We have a sound level meter for testing louder aircraft.

11. In short, safety. I am sure you realise this, but I’ll point it out anyway. Flying with others improves your situational awareness greatly. It can also improve the safety of anyone who might stray into the flying area, as well as the pilot and the aircraft. I learned how important this can be when flying alone at the club field early one Saturday morning, when I was attacked by a large and very aggressive unaccompanied dog. The aircraft was quite a distance from me and I was quite a distance from the relative protection of my car.

Our club is available to members on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. There are exceptions.

Yes, we can accomodate visitors however any pilot who doesn’t hold at least Bronze Wings must be accompanied by a current member of the club who does.

We love big planes and fast planes too, however due to the urban location and constrained size of our field we are limited in some ways. For example we are an electric only club so we don’t fly turbines, pulse jets or gas engines at our field. I’m not sure anyone has ever done 300km/h at our field, but some have been quite quick.

Some rules may seem onerous and/or complicated but it’s really not too bad. Please feel free to come down to the field one day, we can help fill you in and bring you up to speed on most of what you need to know. If you do decide to come down please do post about it here so we can ensure someone is at the field who can open the security gates and assist you.

We are a friendly bunch, and all have a love of flying. We look forward to meeting you.

Kindest regards,

Jason B.
(Ordinary Committee Member)

(01-05-2019, 01:38 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  G’day Gabino,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to our forum. We’re always happy to welcome new flyers to the club.

1. The Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club, like all such clubs, is an MAAA affiliated association. You are issued an MAAA membership card when you join an official flying club.

4. Most modern remote control equipment conforms to relevant MAAA guidelines. I can go into further detail here, feel free to share the type of radio you use and I will endevour to advise whether it meets relevant standards and why.

5. When you join the club one of our suitably qualified members will evaluate your ability to fly with control, see this link for context.

11. In short, safety. I am sure you realise this, but I’ll point it out anyway. Flying with others improves your situational awareness greatly. It can also improve the safety of anyone who might stray into the flying area, as well as the pilot and the aircraft. I learned how important this can be when flying alone at the club field early one Saturday morning, when I was attacked by a large and very aggressive unaccompanied dog. The aircraft was quite a distance from me and I was quite a distance from the relative protection of my car.

Our club is available to members on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. There are exceptions.

Yes, we can accomodate visitors however any pilot who doesn’t hold at least Bronze Wings must be accompanied by a current member of the club who does.

We love big planes and fast planes too, however due to the urban location and constrained size of our field we are limited in some ways. For example we are an electric only club so we don’t fly turbines, pulse jets or gas engines at our field. I’m not sure anyone has ever done 300km/h at our field, but some have been quite quick.

Some rules may seem onerous and/or complicated but it’s really not too bad. Please feel free to come down to the field one day, we can help fill you in and bring you up to speed on most of what you need to know. If you do decide to come down please do post about it here so we can ensure someone is at the field who can open the security gates and assist you.

We are a friendly bunch, and all have a love of flying. We look forward to meeting you.

Kindest regards,

Jason B.

Thank you Jason B.

" Most modern remote control equipment conforms to relevant MAAA guidelines. I can go into further detail here, feel free to share the type of radio you use and I will endevour to advise whether it meets relevant standards and why."

Currently I have 3 planes

Cessna 182 umx from E-flite
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/air...c-eflu5650
P51 mustang umx from E-flite
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/air...c-eflu3350
Both paired with a DX8e
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Defa...d=SPMR8100

And also a Cessna RTF from TopRc

https://www.monkeyhobby.com/top-rc-cessn...-beginner/

do they meet the standards?

Can I bring my planes with me when I visit you?

(04-05-2019, 07:32 PM)Gabino_Huerta Wrote:  

Kindest regards,

Jason B.

Thank you Jason B.

" Most modern remote control equipment conforms to relevant MAAA guidelines. I can go into further detail here, feel free to share the type of radio you use and I will endevour to advise whether it meets relevant standards and why."

Both paired with a DX8e

G’day mate,

Each of your 3 planes are ideally suited to our field. All DSMX/DSM2 gear (100mW@2.4GHz) meets relevant standards no problem at all.

Yes, by all means, bring your planes when you visit the field. Again, please be sure to notify us here on this forum so we can make sure suitably qualified members are there to assist.

May I ask whether your transmitter is mode 1, mode 2, mode 3 or mode 4?

Thanks,

J.

(04-05-2019, 10:03 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  
(04-05-2019, 07:32 PM)Gabino_Huerta Wrote:  

Kindest regards,

Jason B.

Thank you Jason B.

Both paired with a DX8e

G’day mate,

Each of your 3 planes are ideally suited to our field. All DSMX/DSM2 gear (100mW@2.4GHz) meets relevant standards no problem at all.

Yes, by all means, bring your planes when you visit the field. Again, please be sure to notify us here on this forum so we can make sure suitably qualified members are there to assist.

May I ask whether your transmitter is mode 1, mode 2, mode 3 or mode 4?

Thanks,

J.

Hi all my transmitters are set up in mode 1, I'll visit you next Saturday if that's ok

Provided the weather is good and the wind isn’t up I’d say it’s pretty likely you’ll find one or more members down at the field between 9-12 on Saturday.

Hi all,

Many years ago (bc) I flew electrics with the Hornsby club at Galston.  My favourite was a 36inch Lazy Bee.

Children have (mostly) grown up, and we've recently moved to Castle Hill.  I am now ready to start the process of re-learning everything I have forgotten in the intervening years.  Your club sounds like just the sort of place that I'd like to be.

Most of my old gear has gone, so I'll be bothering your sponsors for some kit.  Slow flying trainer class is where I'll be going, not trusting that anything I used to know will suddenly find its way back to my fore-brain.

The next few weekends are out for me, but I hope to be able to come down to the field relatively soon to meet some of you folks.

Cheers,
Robert

(07-05-2019, 06:19 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  Provided the weather is good and the wind isn’t up I’d say it’s pretty likely you’ll find one or more members down at the field between 9-12 on Saturday.

Ok, it's an hour drive to get there from my place.

Is there any way to know for sure if someone is going?

Gabino, keep an eye on the BOM forecast for Parramatta attached and in the weather is good like little wind and no rain the there will definitely be people flying.
Wind up to 25kph, rain no more than 5-10mm predicted

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/parramatta.shtml

Regards Todd Hazell

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

(10-05-2019, 12:36 AM)Busboy Wrote:  Gabino, keep an eye on the BOM forecast for Parramatta attached and in the weather is good like little wind and no rain the  there will definitely be people flying.
Wind up to 25kph, rain no more than 5-10mm predicted

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/parramatta.shtml

Regards Todd Hazell

Thanks, I'll try to be there by 10am