Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

Welcome Shane,
Drop by any weekend that the weather's good, all the usual suspects will be there Smile And all will be more than happy to bend your ear for hours on the subject of model airplanes.

Be warned it's very addictive

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Shane, come on down. Club n00bs unite :P

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Hi guys,
would like to thank you all for your help and support in getting my Wilga up for it's first test flight.
Unfortunate that it spat the front motor bearing on first flight but I have already ordered some replacement motors and a new ESC to be safe.
By pure luck... I have ordered the Turnigy L2206-A with a kv 1650.
Matched with a 7.4v battery it should have 131W of power.
I've done a bit of research and found math calcs for power/weight ratio matching.... Turns out I think I fluked it and ordered the right motor !

See you soon....
Steve

Welcome to the club Steve & was my pleasure for what little I did.
The dead motor on my HK Pitts special looked similar to your motor & was 700kv but I was running it on 3S, cant imagine your old motor to be much different but might be wrong. 1650 kv seems a little high by comparison. The diameter of that motor is also much smaller and am not sure if that makes a difference.
That power requirements calculator you posted has an inconsistency in it. It mentioned "The average voltage of a  3 cell Li-Po pack is approximately 9.9 volts". That equates to 3.3v per cell. I believe you should not run the voltage per cell below 3.7 v although I aim to not go below 3.8v.
You will find this a useful tool http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=20544 . I use it to test my battery before every flight & when testing a new prop on a plane.
Gazz has mentioned a site that may be of better assistance.
Might be a good idea to post a query on the Q & A thread.
Cheers for now.

(05-11-2012, 09:38 PM)Build em crash 'em Wrote:  Hi guys,
would like to thank you all for your help and support in getting my Wilga up for it's first test flight.
Unfortunate that it spat the front motor bearing on first flight but I have already ordered some replacement motors and a new ESC to be safe.
I've done a bit of research and found math calcs for power/weight ratio matching.... Turns out I think I fluked it and ordered the right motor !

See you soon....
Steve

O GOD , I CAN SEE YOU'VE BEEN BITTEN BY THE RC BUG . welcome to the rc nerds where we talk in watts , ounces per square inch mah's and amps . we can help you out , if your married we can tell you how to get permission for a fly at anytime , start telling your wife about the benifits of 40c batteries and prop pitch current draw and bingo , she'll let you go quickly.
I've even seen a member here ( secant O give ) get kicked out of a wax museum for waffling on about doppler wave lengths to a wax dummy .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(05-11-2012, 09:38 PM)Build em crash 'em Wrote:  Hi guys,

See you soon....
Steve

Sorry Steve, Didn't get to Chance to say Hello on the weekend as i was only there for a bit, Its good to hear you enjoyed yourself and Remember theres always plenty of people more than willing to help, give advice, or just chat.

And there's no Shortages of Steves on any given Day Biggrin

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Actually Steve, that Power Setup is a copy of the Eflite "How to determine your power requirements specs" and it is a very good base line to use for the setup of any new aircraft. If you follow the guidelines and get your Wattage in the close to the higher end of each scale you will be right in the ball park and have an aircraft that does pretty much exactly what you hoped it would.
The final piece to the electric aircraft puzzle is to prop it properly so you dont kill important things like ESC's and motors.... but that... is another story.
Welcome aboard
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

My comments were based on my reading "The average voltage of a  3 cell Li-Po pack is approximately 9.9 volts." which i believe to be incorrect, not so much disputing the equations. I am by no means an expert and is the reason I tell newbies to ask the experts & normally dont comment too much on the intricacies of electronics that I am sadly lacking in. Apologies for disputing you on your research Steve C. Further discussions are best left on Q&A thread as I keep suggesting to keep this thread on topic.

quote='wingtipper' pid='17483' dateline='1352175568'
Quote: I've even seen a member here ( secant O give ) get kicked out of a wax museum for waffling on about doppler wave lengths to a wax dummy .

This absolutly true !!! Wink

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi All,

I've just gotten back into the hobby after a 9 year lapse.

Visited the field a few weeks ago and received a warm
welcome. The major change seems to be the electric
scene is massive now as compared to when I last was
active in the hobby.

I was advised that I should go down the electric path and
am keen to get the advice of the members on this forum
of which plane (trainers) they consider a good choice?

I've been using a simulator which has been a good way of
brushing the cobwebs off.

Thanks in advance

Yudash

G'day Yudash,
There are a bunch of great planes to fly as trainers
Two I would suggest looking at are the Parkzone T28 Trojan or the Eflight Apprentice

Both are very very nice planes to fly and go just great straight out of the box.
I've got a stock standard Trojan I bring down the field often, your more than welcome to have a look at it and see what you think.

Jason

Agree with Jason, my personal pick is -

The One and Only Parkzone T28 Trojan great for all rounder Plane, i still have mine and still fly all the Time.

T28 wont Disappoint.

Glad to hear you gettng back into the hobby, there are plenty at our club that are more than welcome to help out, give advice or just chit chat.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes, a good point in favour of the Trojan is that most members have owned one as a trainer yet many continue to fly them today. My approach to recognising planes that are nice to fly is to look at what planes people fly often. The Parkzone T28 is a stand out. A very popular plane.

Some points behind the T28:
* It is stable at low speeds (therefore forgiving if the speed is set wrong - too slow).
* It is hard to tip stall - meaning you won't lose control on an accidentally too slow approach.
* It flies moderately fast if required.
* It can do most manoeuvres
* It fits in your car without having to dismantle it.
* The canopy easily removes to expose the battery, servos and ESC.
* It is tough in the event of crash (but can be broken - and repaired again)
* It glides nicely - which is good for landings.
* It flies quite well in strong winds so you are not restricted to calm air being a foamie.
* You can do your MAAA Bronze Wings test on it.

The E-flite apprentice is pretty much all of the above except that it is slightly larger and will probably require you take the wings off when transporting in your car plus it is perhaps too stable making it a bit sluggish on controls. This is good for a learner but I have noticed Apprentice owners soon buy a new plane as their skills develop where T28 owners seem to fly on.

Apprentice information and reviews: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915223
Manual: http://www.modelflight.com.au/manuals/pd...Manual.pdf

Parkzone T28 information and reviews: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751802
Manual: http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Files/P...Manual.pdf

Nice appraisal Dave... Do you work for Parkzone?
I all sincerity Yudash, the Trojan would be my pick because once your skill level improves you can increase the rates and it becomes a great all round sports flier.
Once you master the Apprentice the only thing you can do with it is "Sell it", don't get me wrong the Apprentice is a very good trainer but that is pretty much all it is.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

a few people in the club fly these or similar , such as the HK bixler . they seem to be getting good training practice and longevity out of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EfomKG7w18

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(14-11-2012, 09:34 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Nice appraisal Dave... Do you work for Parkzone?
Gazz

No, but I would still bank a cheque if they sent me one Biggrin

Thanks for the overwhelming reply guys.
I'll be getting the Trojan for sure based on this and look forward
to meeting more members at the field soon
then hopefully getting the formalities over with
applying for my membership.

I've already bought a powered glider(Fournier)and have
it waiting in the wings...pardon the pun!

Thanks again,

Yudash

Yes, I remember talking to you at the field a couple of weeks ago Yudash - you were the bloke who'd lived in Ireland and South Africa, if I remember correctly!

All good - you cannot possibly go wrong buying a PZ Trojan (I'm not given to flamboyant assertions like that, but in this case it's warranted).

Steve Murray

Hi Steve,

Thats exactly right, I've spent plenty of time both flying in the
South-african heat to the near freezing temperature in Ireland,
where it was almost impossible to feel your fingers let alone the sticks.
Luckily the Irish winter only lasted for 6 months!!! It was however quite pleasant
from may to september.

Went into a local shop today, everyone seems sold out of trojans. I will
collect one next week from the shop as they receive a new order.

Look forward to meeting up again.

All the best,

Yudash

(15-11-2012, 10:20 PM)Yudash Chetty Wrote:  ... Went into a local shop today, everyone seems sold out of trojans.
Yes - that tells its own story!
The BNF versions are too expensive in my opinion, but the PNP versions are a little more reasonably priced. If you're into a "get the parts and build it yourself" frame of mind, then it can be put together from separately obtained parts for under $200, but that path requires some extra fiddling which you might not be interested in. Anyway, we're happy to talk ... often that's all we're capable of Wink (speaking only for myself there!)
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Frontline Hobbies (Newcastle) have BNF ones in stock for $290, PNP for ordering for $250. They will also let you become a member for $25 and get 10% discount for a year (worth it if you get anything more then PNP, including spare bits). Freight free on orders over $150.

Ben.

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Thanks for the heads up Ben.

I'm sure I'll sort something out by next week.
The PNP version looks the go.
Cheers Yudash

Hi folks.
Well after a little waiting I have now replaced the Wilga motor.... Will see how it goes next time I get it up to the field.
Also, I have received my Trojan, 1270mm with retracts and optional flaps which I'm setting up at the moment..... Can anybody suggest a servo for flaps ?... The ones I have at the moment only have about 90 degree throw... Can I use a better servo with more throw ?

Also, I would like to pay my membership but I have not received bank details for the club...... My email is

--Kieran Edit--
Email address removed for privacy, has been passed on to committee

Cheers Smile

Hi all,
Finally was able to get my hands on a parkzone Trojan, chose
the orange and white colourscheme for the sake of
visibility. Assembly was a cinch.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm really
chuffed with this little plane. Now to get it airborne!

Cheers

Yudash

G'day guys.

Recent RC acolyte with a Hobbyzone Champ that I'm still learning on.

This is after I purchased a Nine Eagles Yak 54 Micro which I couldn't fly (must not always believe sales assistants - lol).

Looking forward to checking out the field and meeting you.

Is there a date/time you guys will be at the field in the first week of the New Year?

Cheers all.

P.S. Any recommendations for a good Foam Warbird?

G'day Arancini,
Welcombe to the forum !!
I will certainly be down at the field on Satterday morning if the weather's good
Your more than welcombe to drop by, have a chat, and meet the guys.

I don't think you can go past a ParkZone Trojan, I think you'll find it's highly recomended as an excellent foam Warbird that's pretty nice to fly and learn with.

I'll bring my Trojan along on Saturday so you can have a look at it

Cheers

Jason

Thanks for the welcome Jason.

May take you up on that. Will check out the ParkZone Trojan as well.

P.S. Love the Da Vinci quote. What a pearler.

I just noticed that Smuzz was selling his old Trojan.

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=873&pid=18595#pid18595

G'Day guys
My co-worker has been flying for a little while now, and is constantly chewing my ear about getting onto it. I have to admit he's worn me down and, despite the better half's objection to yet another hobby, I'm looking at getting myself a plane.
I've been doing some reading here and elsewhere on begginer planes, and I've narrowed it down to the Firebird Stratos or the Super Cub. Thought or recommendations?
I'm also still trying to get my head around mode 1 and mode 2. The aforementioned co-worker insists mode 1 is the norm, but throttle on the left sounds more natural to me (after years of rc cars).
Cheers
G

Hey Gianni

Now, first up, Mode 1 will make it easier to buy equipment in Australia. Think of it as going to Hunter Holden and ordering a Commodore in left hand drive. Possible, but don't always expect it to be an easy option. Also, I heard someone doing a head count at the feild last week end and there were something like 9 mode one fliers to one mode 2. Having an experienced pilot handy who can take your new model up to check the trims and such is a good thing, and also can grab your transmitter off you if you get into trouble.

But yes, having your motor and rudder on one stick and your active control surfaces on the other (just like a real joy stick) does sound logical, but you adapt.

Now, trainer planes. Both are good quality fliers. Both are also supplied in mode one, if that makes your choice any easier :p

The Firebird has a few benifits, one being that it has "tricycle" landing gear, meaning it has a nose wheel, rather than one under the tail. This style can be more stable, and make your first take offs and landings a little more ... calm.
Also, it's wing is located with super strong magnets. If you take a bit of a dirt nap, the wing can pop free, saving damaged mounting points.
It also has this "virtual instructor" thingy that automatically mixes in a little up elevator when you turn to keep it level. This I am not so hot on this feature, because you will have to learn that input sometime, and if you don't from the start it won't be natural. You can disable it though.

Also, I have found the less realistic a trainer plane is, the better it flies. Just my personal experience though.

The Super Cub LP is a nice big stable high wing classic 3 channel trainer. It comes with a full size Spektrum transmitter that can be bound to another basic Eflight/Parkzone model later. Or, more to the point, if you get yourself a Spektrum DX6i or DX8 in the future, you can bind the Cub LP to that, so you have all your models on the one radio.

There will be folks who quite rightfully will suggest The Apprentice or other similar trainers, but out of the two you have your eye on, they both provide an economic starting point that will let you know if this is for you before you blow a whole load of money.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.