Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45''

hi , here is the maiden flight report of the yak 54, these were on special from hobbies in the hills for $99 needless to say i snapped one up before they sold out
the build ,
HK 60AMP ESC with BEC
Prop drive series 30-36 550w 1400kv motor
4x corona MG digital 929 12g servos .
3s LIPO 1800mah batteries
APC 11X5.5 PROP .

PULLED 59 AMPS STATIC AT 640 WATTS .

arrived down at the field on a windy day ( it was calm when i left) and windy when i arrived , id been practicing solo on the pheonix simm countless hours , and flying the cessna and extra 330 foamy solo for some time , also managed a few landings and flights with the LARGE MX2 via the buddy setup , so felt ready to send one up for a maiden , the fact no one was there made it all the better for the nerves .
anyhow after pre flight cheks and a little nose heavy setup , she was ready for take off .
ramp up to full throttle and up she went straight into a verticle climb !!!!! OMG I thought it cant be tail heavy , so i pushed elevator stick down and got some good height while trying to settl;e the panic .
1/2 stick down to keep it level was a worry , so i trimmed ailerons 1st , then to my surprise , 4 clicks of down trim and it was level flight .
it was then that i realised 50-% expo and low rate 45% throws = 1/2 ( 4 TRIM CLICKS ) lol .
anyhow the plane twitched and rocked all over the place due to a mad cross wind above 10 metres which was more like turbulance , it simply wasnt flying well . so a few minutes trimming and a few approaches was necessary for a landing .
the plane is super dosile and floaty at low speeds , but very direct and un self correcting at high speed . it felt safe and easy at low speed and unforgiving at hi speed , trun in at 1/2 speed rendered a little trouble against the wind turbulance , it needeed sharp turns to fight the wind otherwise it wanted to drop its tail and stall , even though it was nose heavy , so a 2 to one power ratio saved this as it had plenty of verticle power when needed .
anyhow brought her in for a landing . all was good .
upon inspection i noted that it still had a little up elvator suggesting a little too nose heavy , so moved new battery 10mm back , checked CG , checked trims( recentered sub trim ) and up again for another 4 min flight .
the wind was a little annoying for flying this plane , it didnt seem to like it . never the less , time to check the true CG , so went over the strip inverted , and only the slightest fall to the ground was evident , so this suggested almost a nuetral balance , slight nose heavy . purfect .
anyhow the thing just wouldnot sink on a few approaches , so i had to do some slow flying low circuits to try and get some short approaches , i was a little frustrated as the thing just did not want to sink as the prop windmilled quite abit after thrttling off , which made me feel like it was running on .
managed a complete flyover the strip at 6 feet high , and had to go around for the final approach , same thing except i throttled off earlier , the plane floated by and i was waiting for it to sink , however at about 5 feet in the air it suddenly stalled and dropped , with wings level
one of the undercarraige strutts snapped off the fuse .
so i guess my experience wasnt so bad but a little challanged on landing . the undercarriage is the week link here on these planes , so ill have to do a quick restrength - refitt .

after that i had 2 flights with the cessna , which made me realise how bad the turbulance and cross winds were , as that wasnt nice to fly either ,upon touchdown on this a wind gust crosswind lifted the wind and caused a cart wheel . ( no damaghe though )

time for the big gun .
the SRL EXTRA 330 FOAMY
THIS THING LOVES THE WIND , makes me look like a pro and pulled some great hovers whilst the wind blew it sideways , looked a treat .
anyhow the maiden report is minor damage to the undercarraige , other planes no damage , all up enjoyable day .
but frustrated that more work to be done both in strengthening /and repair to undercarraige , and sorting out the setup .
its good for a 4 minute flight with the 1800mah 3s batteries , and up to 5 minutes i would think . as each cell had 3.9 volts after flights .
and the motor produced heaps of power .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Nice one Frank !!
Sounds like you need a nice still day to get it trimmed, sorted and set up with the right balance of Rates and Expo

Well done !!

Nothing quite like test flying a new model on a windy day is there Smile

The thing I noticed with mine is that when you approach from the left, cause it's red, it seems to go dark and with the trees behind it, it's is a little difficult to see on final. I was going to put a yellow strip on the LE of the wing to help with this.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

i havent reported on this lately . this has now become my favourite plane . ONCE the CG was set up correctly it flew like the big MX2 .
ITS GOOD FOR A SAFE 4.20 MIN ON 3S 1800MAH . i have a 2200 pack which is better . 5.20 minutes on this .
anyone contemplating this plane , i thoroughly recommend . it does need the undercarraige modded as youll be sure to rip the wheels off . get rid of the stock wheels and put standard light foam wheels on and re inforce the undercarraige , after this it can take a tough landing .
PROBLEM . the tail elevon is too weak and needs strengthening , i have narrowed this down to fluytter which is cause by the large elevon control flap . i need to fix this flutter by re enforcing the control rod and re gluing it .
anyhow its a pleasure to fly , well balanced strong , and flies like the big boys . i di some nice 3d practice today and enjoyed it immensly .
flying this in on 1/4 throttle if you get it right it will touch down in flight and just idle down .

BUY ONE . they were at hobbies in the hills for $99 , i think they are about $170 online . but worth it IMOP .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Are they back on sale again ????

Woooooooo Hooooooooo !!

They won't last long !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Here's a pic of the simple mod I did to toughen up the tail plane after it came away mid flight
It's just a couple of peices of 2mm carbon rod glued in place with Zap and kicker. epoxy would also do fine Smile

yeah i had another go at toughening up mine again yesterday , stripped it back and dremelled the glue out and reglued it , i also reglued the control rod as that as the control surface was fluttering causing cracking also . if this doesnt work , i'll be doing what you've done next .

After I added those two carbon braces it was very noticable how much stiffer it made the whole tail group.

well this the 3rd time for me the covering has come off , today the stab was ok but the elevon flap broke in 2 places . i'm definatley doing this mod now . currently reinforcing even more of the flap and stab as it has broken too many times , then the carbon rod is going on .

5 minute job . thanks Jason . i like your style . heres mine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Don't mean to be nasty guys... but thats why they were $99

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(07-11-2012, 08:42 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Don't mean to be nasty guys... but thats why they were $99

yep agreed . i wouldnt buy one of these without willing to mod it . i knew about the pathetic undercarraige but not about the elevo and stabilizer . they are really nice to fly though aside from these problems that must be attented too .

(07-11-2012, 08:20 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  5 minute job . thanks Jason . i like your style . heres mine.

That looks perfict !!

Your photo is much better than mine too Smile

I havn't had any more dramas with mine since the mod about 15 flights ago