Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club
THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - Printable Version

+- Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' (/showthread.php?tid=753)

THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - wingtipper - 20-08-2012

hi , here is the maiden flight report of the yak 54, these were on special from hobbies in the hills for $99 needless to say i snapped one up before they sold out
the build ,
HK 60AMP ESC with BEC
Prop drive series 30-36 550w 1400kv motor
4x corona MG digital 929 12g servos .
3s LIPO 1800mah batteries
APC 11X5.5 PROP .

PULLED 59 AMPS STATIC AT 640 WATTS .

arrived down at the field on a windy day ( it was calm when i left) and windy when i arrived , id been practicing solo on the pheonix simm countless hours , and flying the cessna and extra 330 foamy solo for some time , also managed a few landings and flights with the LARGE MX2 via the buddy setup , so felt ready to send one up for a maiden , the fact no one was there made it all the better for the nerves .
anyhow after pre flight cheks and a little nose heavy setup , she was ready for take off .
ramp up to full throttle and up she went straight into a verticle climb !!!!! OMG I thought it cant be tail heavy , so i pushed elevator stick down and got some good height while trying to settl;e the panic .
1/2 stick down to keep it level was a worry , so i trimmed ailerons 1st , then to my surprise , 4 clicks of down trim and it was level flight .
it was then that i realised 50-% expo and low rate 45% throws = 1/2 ( 4 TRIM CLICKS ) lol .
anyhow the plane twitched and rocked all over the place due to a mad cross wind above 10 metres which was more like turbulance , it simply wasnt flying well . so a few minutes trimming and a few approaches was necessary for a landing .
the plane is super dosile and floaty at low speeds , but very direct and un self correcting at high speed . it felt safe and easy at low speed and unforgiving at hi speed , trun in at 1/2 speed rendered a little trouble against the wind turbulance , it needeed sharp turns to fight the wind otherwise it wanted to drop its tail and stall , even though it was nose heavy , so a 2 to one power ratio saved this as it had plenty of verticle power when needed .
anyhow brought her in for a landing . all was good .
upon inspection i noted that it still had a little up elvator suggesting a little too nose heavy , so moved new battery 10mm back , checked CG , checked trims( recentered sub trim ) and up again for another 4 min flight .
the wind was a little annoying for flying this plane , it didnt seem to like it . never the less , time to check the true CG , so went over the strip inverted , and only the slightest fall to the ground was evident , so this suggested almost a nuetral balance , slight nose heavy . purfect .
anyhow the thing just wouldnot sink on a few approaches , so i had to do some slow flying low circuits to try and get some short approaches , i was a little frustrated as the thing just did not want to sink as the prop windmilled quite abit after thrttling off , which made me feel like it was running on .
managed a complete flyover the strip at 6 feet high , and had to go around for the final approach , same thing except i throttled off earlier , the plane floated by and i was waiting for it to sink , however at about 5 feet in the air it suddenly stalled and dropped , with wings level
one of the undercarraige strutts snapped off the fuse .
so i guess my experience wasnt so bad but a little challanged on landing . the undercarriage is the week link here on these planes , so ill have to do a quick restrength - refitt .

after that i had 2 flights with the cessna , which made me realise how bad the turbulance and cross winds were , as that wasnt nice to fly either ,upon touchdown on this a wind gust crosswind lifted the wind and caused a cart wheel . ( no damaghe though )

time for the big gun .
the SRL EXTRA 330 FOAMY
THIS THING LOVES THE WIND , makes me look like a pro and pulled some great hovers whilst the wind blew it sideways , looked a treat .
anyhow the maiden report is minor damage to the undercarraige , other planes no damage , all up enjoyable day .
but frustrated that more work to be done both in strengthening /and repair to undercarraige , and sorting out the setup .
its good for a 4 minute flight with the 1800mah 3s batteries , and up to 5 minutes i would think . as each cell had 3.9 volts after flights .
and the motor produced heaps of power .

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - secant0give - 20-08-2012

Nice one Frank !!
Sounds like you need a nice still day to get it trimmed, sorted and set up with the right balance of Rates and Expo

Well done !!

Nothing quite like test flying a new model on a windy day is there Smile

The thing I noticed with mine is that when you approach from the left, cause it's red, it seems to go dark and with the trees behind it, it's is a little difficult to see on final. I was going to put a yellow strip on the LE of the wing to help with this.

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - wingtipper - 29-10-2012

i havent reported on this lately . this has now become my favourite plane . ONCE the CG was set up correctly it flew like the big MX2 .
ITS GOOD FOR A SAFE 4.20 MIN ON 3S 1800MAH . i have a 2200 pack which is better . 5.20 minutes on this .
anyone contemplating this plane , i thoroughly recommend . it does need the undercarraige modded as youll be sure to rip the wheels off . get rid of the stock wheels and put standard light foam wheels on and re inforce the undercarraige , after this it can take a tough landing .
PROBLEM . the tail elevon is too weak and needs strengthening , i have narrowed this down to fluytter which is cause by the large elevon control flap . i need to fix this flutter by re enforcing the control rod and re gluing it .
anyhow its a pleasure to fly , well balanced strong , and flies like the big boys . i di some nice 3d practice today and enjoyed it immensly .
flying this in on 1/4 throttle if you get it right it will touch down in flight and just idle down .

BUY ONE . they were at hobbies in the hills for $99 , i think they are about $170 online . but worth it IMOP .

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - secant0give - 30-10-2012

Are they back on sale again ????

Woooooooo Hooooooooo !!

They won't last long !!

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - secant0give - 31-10-2012

Here's a pic of the simple mod I did to toughen up the tail plane after it came away mid flight
It's just a couple of peices of 2mm carbon rod glued in place with Zap and kicker. epoxy would also do fine Smile

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - wingtipper - 31-10-2012

yeah i had another go at toughening up mine again yesterday , stripped it back and dremelled the glue out and reglued it , i also reglued the control rod as that as the control surface was fluttering causing cracking also . if this doesnt work , i'll be doing what you've done next .

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - secant0give - 01-11-2012

After I added those two carbon braces it was very noticable how much stiffer it made the whole tail group.

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - wingtipper - 07-11-2012

well this the 3rd time for me the covering has come off , today the stab was ok but the elevon flap broke in 2 places . i'm definatley doing this mod now . currently reinforcing even more of the flap and stab as it has broken too many times , then the carbon rod is going on .

5 minute job . thanks Jason . i like your style . heres mine.

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - gbanger - 07-11-2012

Don't mean to be nasty guys... but thats why they were $99

(07-11-2012, 08:42 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Don't mean to be nasty guys... but thats why they were $99

yep agreed . i wouldnt buy one of these without willing to mod it . i knew about the pathetic undercarraige but not about the elevo and stabilizer . they are really nice to fly though aside from these problems that must be attented too .

RE: THUNDER TIGER YAK 54 45'' - secant0give - 07-11-2012

(07-11-2012, 08:20 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  5 minute job . thanks Jason . i like your style . heres mine.

That looks perfict !!

Your photo is much better than mine too Smile

I havn't had any more dramas with mine since the mod about 15 flights ago