Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Helicopter Discusssion

Howdy All
Thanks for the support guys
Andrew - with all due respect all I can say is
Yeh right mate. Good luck with that.
Sydrob - dont forget your video camera. Good videos of maidens are an essential part of life or flying or growing up.
Robair - lookin cool in the air is half the battle.... Staying there is the real battle.
Check this shit out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPby2WQfqQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Once again all I can say is SWEEEEEEET!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(14-10-2010, 06:14 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Howdy All
Thanks for the support guys
Andrew - with all due respect all I can say is
Yeh right mate. Good luck with that.
Sydrob - dont forget your video camera. Good videos of maidens are an essential part of life or flying or growing up.
Robair - lookin cool in the air is half the battle.... Staying there is the real battle.
Check this shit out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPby2WQfqQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Once again all I can say is SWEEEEEEET!

are you serious!! thats awesome gary . awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_CJL1YQRc

ERNEST BORGNINE'S THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i loved this show whilst growing up , this and nightrider.. lol

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Well done Kev
Trust you to find that ancient (BUT REALLY COOL) footage.
Will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before the body arrives, but I can deal with that, like your PC9 really cool shit is worth waiting for.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(14-10-2010, 08:57 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Well done Kev
Trust you to find that ancient (BUT REALLY COOL) footage.
Will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before the body arrives, but I can deal with that, like your PC9 really cool shit is worth waiting for.
Gazz

LOL! I am on the floor.. Lol That old footage is awesome, it was a great series and the fact there is such a nice fuselage made in honor just to suit our helicopters is superb.. Thumbup
Yes worth waiting for. Nice video link Gary.. Leet

(Camera charging.. if I set it on a 0.0000000001 charge rate,, should be sweet by the time it arrives and you build it..?) Tounge

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

Gaz, make sure you get "servo slow" for those retracts please. A nice, slow extension is a pleasure to behold. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(15-10-2010, 06:04 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Gaz, make sure you get "servo slow" for those retracts please. A nice, slow extension is a pleasure to behold. Smile
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this subject and looked a dozens of servos, I remember seeing an in line adjustable servo speed controller that I thought was from HK.
But I have not been able to find anything.
I do know through my research that with landing gear servos it is important to have a torque rate of at least double your flight servos so they dont crumple on landing, with that said 'dont land that heavily"
As always would love to here your opinions and any info you guys would care to share.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(15-10-2010, 06:37 PM)gbanger Wrote:  
(15-10-2010, 06:04 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Gaz, make sure you get "servo slow" for those retracts please. A nice, slow extension is a pleasure to behold. Smile
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this subject and looked a dozens of servos, I remember seeing an in line adjustable servo speed controller that I thought was from HK.
I do know through my research that with landing gear servos it is important to have a torque rate of at least double your flight servos so they dont crumple on landing, with that said 'dont land that heavily"
As always would love to here your opinions and any info you guys would care to share.
Gazz

Here is a link to the servo controller that I use to regulate the speed of the swing wing in the F14.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=8863

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(15-10-2010, 06:37 PM)gbanger Wrote:  
Gazz

Hey Gaz.. I remember you saying you wanted a nice slow retract, which is really great to watch.. I totally agree with Andrew.. One suggestion,, send a utube email to the guys in the utube video's with SLOW retracts,, ask them what they did,, I am sure they will tell you what they did or put you on to a supplier no worries.. Some helicopter guys have helped me before after asking.. Just one idea.. Sure there are better ones..

P.S > Having your servo's crumple a LITTLE on landing,,, is actually a nice effect I think,, like real life shock absorbers.. sweeeeeeeeet! Smile

Rob

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=8863 is what you are after if your radio can't do it. I doubt the torque would be such a great issue cos there will be a mechanical link to take the brunt of impacts. If you are landing that hard to spread shock beyond that, I think the gear will be the least of your worries!! Wink

I'd just chuck the old faithul digital metal geared servos at it.

Gaz,

here's a YT video of the servo slow down thingy I mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7or5h-a8k

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Gday Gaz/ All

I have two of the servo speed regulators that Kieran posted the link for.
One is installed in the Valkyrie's landing gear circuit and it works as advertised. I am super happy. The other one is not doing anything at the moment, if you want to take it for a spin let me know.

If the forums are to be believed this gadget does not affect the servo's torque, only the speed and/ or direction. I concur with the forums advice, this is a good piece of kit.

Cheers
Rob B

Hey Rob
Thanks for the offer, but as we speak I have a couple on route from HK.
As it turns out there is no great hurry anyway, my Airwolf fuse has been distributed by Flying Hobby and started its trip down under yesterday so I may have it buy friday but I think more like tuesday.
The other thing I just realised is that I dont have any spare channels on my AR6200.... oops, so I dont have the ability to control retracts.
Looks like I will be buying a DX8 after all.
And now I will have a near new DX6i for sale......... its all happenin.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gday Gaz

All good mate, that Airwolf is going to be a cracker.
I am waiting for my next paycheck and might get a DX11 so I have capacity for the future, although probably will get a DX8 as they look very nice and quite a bit cheaper. I too will be having a bit of a rug sale when I get around to it to assist funding new goodies.

How good are these heli's? I have swapped out your 36mhz receiver and replaced with a Spektrum however need Kieran to check my settings before I spin that up again in the back yard. I have had so much fun with the Twister that I am seriously considering going 100% rotary wing fleet in the future.

Cheers
Rob B

Hey rob how are you finding the transition to helis, like is it heaps hard to get to level one ie hovering?, do you find the gyro works good ? Had you flown helis on realflight prior to getting that twister? I'm curious but nervous about helis.. I have a "back-up" copy of realflight that does not have full functionality when it comes to helis and I seem to start moving in a direction as soon as I leave the ground and the flights always spiral out of control from there , in saying that tho the controls are not precise and I'm thinking that has an effect on my experience with them.. Interested in your thoughts on the difficulty of your heli flight experience thus far?

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday Kev

No way could I say I have "made the transition", my flights are generally at dot feet just sliding the training legs around, highest flight would be at about 15cm. I am treading very gingerly to avoid destructive carnage. I don't have a sim so no practice there.
It's hard for me to comment as I find mode 1 counter intuitive, not sure how mode 3 would go, have a DX8 or DX11 on the way in the future to resolve that one. I expected the gyro to be a bit tighter as I find that when I do get the thing in the air I can keep her fairly stable but after 5 -10 seconds it is the tail that I begin to lose at which point I chop the power and let the training legs save me.
One thing I can say for certainty is that it involves all the senses and is a super fun challenge. I also like the fact I can practice in my back yard.

Cheers
Rob B

Cheers
Rob B

(21-10-2010, 03:15 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Kev

No way could I say I have "made the transition", my flights are generally at dot feet just sliding the training legs around, highest flight would be at about 15cm. I am treading very gingerly to avoid destructive carnage. I don't have a sim so no practice there.
It's hard for me to comment as I find mode 1 counter intuitive, not sure how mode 3 would go, have a DX8 or DX11 on the way in the future to resolve that one. I expected the gyro to be a bit tighter as I find that when I do get the thing in the air I can keep her fairly stable but after 5 -10 seconds it is the tail that I begin to lose at which point I chop the power and let the training legs save me.
One thing I can say for certainty is that it involves all the senses and is a super fun challenge. I also like the fact I can practice in my back yard.

Cheers
Rob B

Cheers
Rob B

yeah ok it sounds hard , pretty much what i thought , do the training legs safely land her from the 15cm drops and what not? it does sound extremely difficult. as you say tho its a big plus that you can practise away in your back yard..
hmm helis are like the apple in the garden of eden for me, the forbidden fruit.. i keep looking tho, over and over and i think one day im gonna just have to take a bite! Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday Kev

For me patience has been the key so far, taking the little baby steps and adhering to the day 1, 2 day.. etc principle.
The training gear is tops and vital for the newbie. Easily absorbs the throttle chop landings.

You've gotta get into heli's mate, you would love them! Thumbup Also if you get a 500 or 600 size heli the power would be acceptable to your extreme tastes, no wimpy 40 amp esc and 3s battery combo's here. We all know you wont get out of bed unless at least 4s is involved.Leet

Cheers
Rob B

Hey Rob
Im glad that you are having fun with the heli,
remember little steps is the only way to go.
You will probably find you are chasing the tail because the ground effect of the really low hover is upsetting the aircraft. Once you have a little more control and take the next step to a 3 to 4 ft high hover that tendancy to gyro off into the boonies will settle down.

And Kevin my Roulette buddy
Be careful what you wish for mate.
This particular type of forbidden fruit is very very addictive, but as anybody that has taken a bite will tell you.
You need the concentration of a chess master but shit is it ever fun.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Lol yep looks fun although I'm crap at chess Smile
Anyway last nite kizz was kind enough to run thru what I'd require for a 450 setup from hk, taking into consideration the spare esc, motor,rx etc I already have it brings it down to like 150aud ish so I'm going to give it a crack in the next few weeks Smile thanks for the info guys.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Someone once said that hovering a heli is like trying to balance a ping pong ball on a piece of wood while it's balanced on the end of a stick. I agree. Smile
All helis will drift to the left or right on lift off. Our rc helis will drift left due to the clockwise rotation of the main blades. This means that the tail rotor is producing a sideways force to the right to counter the torque. There is enough force from the tail to push the heli sideways. To counter that, as you lift off you need a bit of right cyclic to "lean" into the tail rotor wash in order to keep it from drifting sideways. Forward/back & up/down movements are due to the fact that the heli doesn't really fly.....it beats the air into submission. Smile

To keep it still you always are "stirring the pot of soup". Unless you have a helicommand thingy like kierans.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(22-10-2010, 09:54 AM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Someone once said that hovering a heli is like trying to balance a ping pong ball on a piece of wood while it's balanced on the end of a stick. I agree. Smile

I think it's closer to trying to balance a marble on a sheet of glass by remote control!!!! But it feels real good when you get it right LeetLeetLeet

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Gday Kev

Just saw your HK order.
Onya mate!!! Thumbup

Cheers
Rob B

yeah im a forum stalker and when you guys kept flooding this heli discusion thread you wore me down..

then there was the bobby watts video

but really "you had me at airwolf" Icon_twisted damn gary Smile

ive ordered 2 x 450 kits , wanting to keep parts cheap to see if "A" i like flying them and "B" i can manage to hover Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I've just ordered this little baby. It's shipped & should be here soon. Yay.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/heliart...-5024.html

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Howdy All

Here is a link to the guys I bought my Airwolf fuse off.

And by the way, I picked it up yesterday and this thing is just

awsome, so if you want to be in on the best deal you will ever see

and get the best heli on the market..... with the best servos etc.. etc...etc..

I paid $1249.00 for this package 9 months ago

Sell your kids........ sell your car....... shit I would sell you kidneys

but check this shit out.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/trex-60...-6447.html

TREX Rocks

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Check out this kid, puts us old fella's to shame......

He even has his own website... http://www.justinjee.com/

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Hi Guys,,

Firstly to 'Popeypete' .. that kid is famous.. There is video of him at 38 months old flying like a pro on a simulator.. Check it out,, just crazy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1QTCXGqxII

Secondly - If you have seen it already > This IS THE ONE video of all video's online today, showing extreme flying that makes your jaw drop to the floor.. to the floor..! You MUST watch this if you like helicopters or not.

Craziest Smoothest Heli Flying ever seen ..

Rob

Thats an awesome clip, your reflex's have to be very sharp not to hit the ground.

I've also now ventured into the Heli domain and have a HK-450 Heli on route minus a few parts. Picked up the $9.99 bare bones frame, motor, blades & canopy. Awaiting the Gyro & servos as they are on back order.
All up under 60bucks...what a deal.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(18-11-2010, 07:01 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  Thats an awesome clip, your reflex's have to be very sharp not to hit the ground.

I've also now ventured into the Heli domain and have a HK-450 Heli on route minus a few parts. Picked up the $9.99 bare bones frame, motor, blades & canopy. Awaiting the Gyro & servos as they are on back order.
All up under 60bucks...what a deal.

60bucks. Unreal. Just crazy. ..Helicopters ROCK.. Only hovered 4 times and I say that with ultimate conviction.. Wow, what a deal, so cheap now.. Maybe we could try some precision hovering when your baby arrives.. Leet

Rob

Do you just follow 'Finless Bobs' vidoes for the set-up? Or is there a better forum to get me started?

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)