Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Helicopter Discusssion

Choppers are my original interest.. So here is a thread for anyone to talk rotor-craft and any-thing at all related to rotor-craft.. Setup etc etc

Just some tips and things I have learned along the way that may help..
Feel free to correct or embellish..

Setting Pitch =
1 - Go into Throttle-Hold/Idle Up mode. This gives you your full range of pitch. (Normal mode usually starts at about 40% pitch as you don't want full negative pitch to slam your bird down into the ground)
2 - Go to 50% throttle and make sure all your 3 servo arms that work the swash are at 90Degrees to servo bodies.
3 - Level your swash mechanically using your swash leveler tool, your eye or preferred method.
4 - Still at 50% throttle adjust your linkages from swash to head until you have ZERO degrees pitch with your pitch Gauge.
5 - You should have about 9-11 Degrees pitch positive and negative.
6 - *Digital TX Only * Adjust your swash mix 'PITCH' until have enough pitch range. Anything closer to 100 will increase pitch range.

Setting Tail Rotor = Confused
Struggling here. Can't get her to stop spinning since changing to CNC tail. It is the standard Belt CP rate Gyro. HK HeadLock Gyro on order, hopefully this will help.
Any other idea's? (Gyro in normal mode spins clockwise, in reverse mode, spins anti-clockwise) Wired When figured out will update this section with actual useful tips on tail rotor.

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

Gday Rob.
Good idea for a thread.
I'm not sure what to do about your tail prob. Maybe as you said, it's the gyro. Have you tried it with the original tail again Or is it binned? Can you bring the bird this Sat AM? I MIGHT be able to make it...I'll let you know Fri Eve.

A couple of tips..t a k e i t s l o w l y . . . Stay within your comfort zone.

More tips to come when I know some more. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Gday Fellow Rotor Heads

I have been spinning up the Twister into a light on the skids "hover" to get used to the controls. One thing that is starting to drive me nuts is the fact that the cyclic is split over 2 sticks. How does one get the cyclic on the one stick. I suspect that it isn't entirely simple.
Also, Kieran, would you have some time to help me set up Darren's heli, I need to program my DX7 and also convert the Twister over to the DX7, I would really appreciate your help with this. Also need to install the FlyMentor software on my PC.
Love these heli's, too much fun by far!!!!!! A warning to Andrew R, Rob I, KV and Gazza, I have LOTS of questions and look forward to learning from you all.

"A helicopter is merely a collection of rotating parts waiting to fail"
"A helicopter pilot is a collection of rotating priorities waiting to fail"

Cheers
Rob B

Hi Rob B,

Top name, hehe.. Biggrin: Rolleyes I could have completely mis-understood you, however it seems your asking how do you get all your 'cyclic' control onto one stick on the controller (Tilt Fwd, Back, Left Right) .. if that is what you are asking, then that is simply a Mode 2 Controller setup. Throttle on the left, spin left right, and all your cyclic on your right stick.. I am mode 1 however, which is supposedly the standard for Australia..

If your DX7 is Mode 1 then your stuck with it,, I don't know how to mod the controller to change it,, not sure you can - I'll look round the internet when I get a chance..? Maybe with some swifty servo setup or something you could do it... Got me thinking.. Is that what you meant??

P.S > BrotherBlonde/Andrew > Thanks for your offer!! Thumbup ...couldn't make field last weekend.. Icon_evil I will be down there this weekend (Oct 2 & 3) and will bring my bird just in case..

Rob

Gday Rob

Thanks for your reply.
No you have not misunderstood me, cyclic one stick, the other, throttle and tail rotor. Having said that I would prefer a "mode 2" setup with throttle on the right stick not left. I am pretty sure the DX7 cannot do this as the mixing for the swash just probably isn't going to happen. From what my limited research has established it is that I am likely going to have to get a new radio where you can assign channels rather then being locked into a mode.
I can't really see any other solution?

Cheers
Rob B

Rob B,
Mode 2 is throttle/rudd (or tail rotor) on left.

Here's a link of how to change a DX7 from mode 2 to mode 1 with pics. Maybe reversing the steps will work.
http://www.mugi.co.uk/tutorials_dx7_modechange.php

Mode 1 to 2 w/o pics. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788537

Some more help here.. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=44577

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Gday Andrew

What I would prefer is a mode 2 setup, reversed, ie cyclic left stick, throttle/tail rotor right stick.
From a Pilots perspective I have always found mode 1 odd, however got into that because Kieran was the only mode 2 flyer when I joined the club and it was recommended that I go mode 1 to get Darren and others assistance when initially learning.
My flying brain works with the throttle in my left hand and my control surfaces in my right, ok to replace my feet with the right hand as the throttle is a low workload item.
Does that make sense?
Having said that flying helis that is completely reversed due to being PIC in the right seat as opposed to fixed wing in the left.
So many decisions!!!!!

Will have a look at the conversion links you have posted though, may be a work around there.
Cheers
Rob B

Sorry Rob, been heaps busy of late. I'll see if I can find some time to get around to your place.

What you're looking for Rob is Mode3 and with the DX7, it just doesn't look possible without modifying the wiring.

That said, I'm thinking their MAY be a way to do it with the FlyMentor seeing that it doesn't actually use the swash mix in the DX7.

In the mean time, go nuts!: http://www.google.com/search?q=dx7+heli+mode3

Gday KV

Thanks for the reply, I figured you were uber busy!
Can't wait to see you though to get em all on my DX7.

I am going to persevere for the moment on mode 1 as even though I find it odd I am having stacks of fun lurching the Twister around my back yard using Gazza's TX and settings. Thank god for the training legs!!!!!Shock

Having said that likely that I will join you in the Mode 2 brigade, I am really interested in the next gen telemetry capable TX's and may flog off my 2610 and DX7 to fund this. So may ponder Hi-TEC, Futaba, JR.....??? ConfusedConfused
Sometimes I hate the decision quandaries I get myself into.

Cheers
Rob B

Look at the Dx8, they are mode changeable which should ease transistion and keep your RX's relevant and has telemetry available on new receivers. Other radios I have considered if a decent rx supply ever became available for them:
-Hitec Aurora
-Futaba 14MZ (Darren's Jet radio, actually a possibility now as there ARE cheap Futaba rx's available)

Alternatively, if you see a 2nd hand MX22 or JR PC9x II pop up for sale you could grab them and a FR-Sky or Spektrum Module, they are showing their age now however.

In the end, whilst I can easily manage a mode1 plane, mode1 heli is just terrible to contemplate!

Hi Rob B,

Here is a link clearly visually displaying all 4 modes for Helicopters.
In the end whatever works for you is the one you should use.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-heli...modes.html

The more I look around on the internet, the more I am finding that there are things you can do.. with basic electronics knowledge to change modes..

Rob

Problem with converting his DX7 though is that whilst you can easily resolder the sticks and trim tabs to do what he wants, the trim display can't be changed which would make it a PITA

Howdy fellow Heli pilots
Was wondering if any of you have come across a supplier of authentic Airwolf bodies for the T Rex 600.
I found this one on the net but cant find a supplier.
Any info appreciated
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Gday Gaz

Andrew R posted this link on the group order discussion page that may assist.
http://stores.ebay.com/sylvian1975/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=362156939&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

I really like this A109 fuse
http://cgi.ebay.com/Austa-A-109-Fiber-Gl...ccessories&hash=item45f2c2e82b
This is even better
http://cgi.ebay.com/Austa-A-109-Fuselage...ccessories&hash=item3efde1f086

These heli's will be the financial death of me. Must learn to fly them first!!!

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks Rob
But my Heli is a 600 mate although the 500 bodies look sweet they just dont fit and that is where the delema is!
Heaps of companies have after market fuses for 500s but fuses for 600 are as rare as rocking horse shit.
Thanks for the help
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gday Gaz

Yeh you're right, the 600 bodies are thin on the ground.
Do you want a Hughes 500, maybe a Hughes 500, ever thought about a Hughes 500?
Is the lack of 600 fuse's due to it being a new size and the market is yet to catch up?

Cheers
Rob B

I know someone makes a 600 size Huey fuse but its exxy. Unfortunatley the 600 size is kinda new (compared to 500/450) so the chinese haven't had time to retool just yet.

This guy in QLD sells RTF helis. with or without scale fuses.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AirWolf-600-100-C...d_Vehicles&hash=item2eb06bb70e

And after emailing him I found his supplier of scale fuselages to be here
http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/canopyf...d0q84e9j97

Hope that helps.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(16-09-2010, 07:01 PM)SydRob Wrote:  ..................
Setting Tail Rotor = Confused
Struggling here. Can't get her to stop spinning since changing to CNC tail. It is the standard Belt CP rate Gyro. HK HeadLock Gyro on order, hopefully this will help.
Any other idea's? (Gyro in normal mode spins clockwise, in reverse mode, spins anti-clockwise) Wired When figured out will update this section with actual useful tips on tail rotor.

STILL struggling here. Ever since that CNC tail it wants to spin.. Anyway I have installed the new HK Head Hold Gyro as I said I would.. I like it, seems to be pretty awesome quality for the price.

The beast now holds OK until about 75% throttle then just lets go and starts spinning clockwise like it's possessed.. Wired Getting CLOSER to solving the issue I guess.. Tounge I have ordered a new 40Amp ESC just in case that ends up being the cause of the problem.. Will bring the chopper down this weekend for anyone who wants to go 'Sherlock Holmes' on me and figure the last part of this mystery out.. haha Lol

P.S. Gary > This is the EXACT one you want for your 600.. TOP looking fuselage I have to say again... This mob has it on for around $300 USD http://www.completeheli.com/Fusuno-600-A...-FUF-6004A

Rob

Very strange that it just goes psycho, I'd want to see if its a reversing issue or it could be vibration related. Have you got some foam tape insulating the gyro?

Thanks for the site Andrew, looking very closely at the 450 size Apache Icon_twisted

Thanks for your help guys
Am getting closer to purchasing an Airwolf fus for the mighty 600
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Rob I,

a couple of questions re your tail prob.

Which way does the rotor rotate? It should rotate so the top blade moves from front to back. (Someone said "so the lower blade pushes the gravel/dirt towards the heli & not you.)

When you push left rudder on the TX, the pitch slider should move to the right, & vice versa.

And, if you move the nose of the heli to the right, the slider should move to the right (to try to move it back to the left)..once again vice versa.

If all those are correct, check for binding of the servo linkage and the pitch slider.

If they are ok, you might have to check the thrust bearings on the tail hub.

If they are nicely greased, I'll bring a spare gyro on Sunday (If I 'm allowed to come down. Smile )

Hope that helps.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

WOW .. thanks for the responses guys.. Leet All great tips.. Thumbup

I don't "think" it is a reversing issue.. Seems to be working right way..
I will remove a Zip Tie I was using to hold the Gyro down to reduce vibration.. see if that helps..

Will go through all the other tips as well, super helpful, my pitch slider direction etc... to see if anything changes.. (If I can get time in workshop before weekend that is Rolleyes )

One thing I DO KNOW I have right is Tail Rotor Direction courtesy of the following links >

PICTURE > http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/album_page,pic_id,23221.html
VIDEO > http://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360#...MGMdPfJsqw

Rob

(07-10-2010, 10:57 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Rob I,

a couple of questions re your tail prob.

Which way does the rotor rotate? It should rotate so the top blade moves from front to back. (Someone said "so the lower blade pushes the gravel/dirt towards the heli & not you.)

When you push left rudder on the TX, the pitch slider should move to the right, & vice versa.

And, if you move the nose of the heli to the right, the slider should move to the right (to try to move it back to the left)..once again vice versa.

If all those are correct, check for binding of the servo linkage and the pitch slider.

If they are ok, you might have to check the thrust bearings on the tail hub.

If they are nicely greased, I'll bring a spare gyro on Sunday (If I 'm allowed to come down. Smile )

Hope that helps.

I always go by the rule that the tail rotor rotates up into the downwash from the main rotors Wink Smilie

Cheers - Jeff. Smile

We found the problem Wink Trashed my heli today, let it get too far away and lost orientation... Rob has pics. Now to stick with 450 or go 500!

(09-10-2010, 03:11 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  We found the problem Wink Trashed my heli today, let it get too far away and lost orientation... Rob has pics. Now to stick with 450 or go 500!

... yeah thanks for your help... Thumbup CAN NOT believe some of the things we found.. it all seemed right at home, I looked 100 times.. anyway.. now to fiddle around with what we discovered and get her right... back to the workshop.. maybe I'll get it sorted tonight.. Rolleyes

Posting footage of your 'excursion' today Frown under the VIDEO thread .. will call the thread .. "Keriens adventure" I think... Wink [[GO a 700!!]]

Rob

Thanks for the link Andrew

I have emailed the supplier and they have been informative and very helpful.

So I have just ordered and paid for one of these babies.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/600-air...d0q84e9j97

They are out of stock at the moment but are expecting a shipment next week, so with a bit of luck I will have it before the end of the month.

Sweeeeeet.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(12-10-2010, 02:51 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Thanks for the link Andrew

I have emailed the supplier and they have been informative and very helpful.

So I have just ordered and paid for one of these babies.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/600-air...d0q84e9j97

They are out of stock at the moment but are expecting a shipment next week, so with a bit of luck I will have it before the end of the month.

Sweeeeeet.

To quote someone recently..."Sweeeeeet"!!
Mate that price is amazing considering the 500 sized helis from the same place are not much cheaper. ( I just need to sell a couple of our kids.....)
When you get it, I am more than happy to bind it to my TX & "test" fly it for you. Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

... I'll do the filming Gary.. Someone MUST film the Maiden of that Airwolf fuselage and I SHOTGUN doing it.. Sweeeeeeeeet..

Rob

Gday All

Kieran, nice job putting the xmas decorations on the house and lawn, but..it's October mate? I don't recall any references to Helicopters in the Bible either. But I could be wrong!
Andrew, don't sell your kids, talk to Kev. He knows how to turn a mobile phone into a Habu! No Joke!
Gaz, she's gonna look cool!

Cheers
Rob B