Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Helicopter Discusssion

Gday Peter

The best forum I have found is called, Kieran, Gazza, Andrew and Darren, you can "log on" to them most weekends at the field. There are also a couple of Rob's and a Kev who will join you on your rotary journey. Apologies if I forgot anyone.

BTW, is any one misguided enough like me to try and fly these puppies on mode 1.?

Cheers
Rob B

Hi Pete

Nobody does a build video as good as Finless Bob.

I studied his Trex 600 build videos and they are seriously the goods.

But with that said let your own grey mater have a bit of a think about the whole thing because understanding what and why everthing does what is does will help you be a better pilot.

It will also help you understand how to trim the heli.

By the way Rob. I fly Mode 1

Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(19-11-2010, 05:19 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Peter

The best forum I have found is called, Kieran, Gazza, Andrew and Darren, you can "log on" to them most weekends at the field. There are also a couple of Rob's and a Kev who will join you on your rotary journey. Apologies if I forgot anyone.

BTW, is any one misguided enough like me to try and fly these puppies on mode 1.?

Cheers
Rob B
Rob I fly mode 1 with my dx6i with planes and I'm using same tx for my heli so I believe I'm going to be flying mode 1.. On the sim my right stick is throttle(up and down) and aileron(roll) and my left is elevator(pitch) and rudder(twist)

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Gday Kev

Yah I have my DX7 set up the same way, it feels so bloody odd though having the cyclic split over 2 sticks. Confused

I haven't flown Gazza's heli though since I ripped out his 36mhz receiver and replaced it with the 2.4. Worked fine on his Tx. Have many questions about the throttle curves etc etc and am pretty sure the current setup in the DX7 is either incorrect or far from optimum. Bring on that heli school.

Cheers
Rob B

what does that mean.. cyclic split over two sticks?

i thought cyclic was the throttle?

hmm... this might get too heavy, perhaps an in person conversation is best suited to my lack of knowledge.. Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I worked on the Seahawk simulator at NAS Nowra a few years back - on that machine the collective and throttle were two separate controls which were on the one arm on the left-side of the seat. The collective was raised and lowered to alter the pitch of the main rotor, but the throttle was in the handgrip of the same arm which twisted like a motorbike throttle.
Clearly on RC helis, things are different - perhaps the collective(pitch) is on one stick and the throttle on another - good luck guys, I'm not going where you are ... Smile

Steve Murray

Gday Kevin. Cyclic is the front/ back, left/right movement. When the heli is hovering, or moving very slowly, those 4 movements are essentially "sliding" in those directions. When the heli is in forward flight, the cyclic virtually becomes elevator & aileron.

Collective, however, is (in 6 channel helis....as we fly at the field) is connected to the throttle. When hovering it makes it go up and down. When in forward flight and you tilt the heli "more " forwards, increasing the collective will accelerate the heli. It's creating more lift, but that lift is angled forwards and pulling the heli forwards instead of up.

Real helis (and mode 2 rc) have the cyclic in the right hand (right thumb for rc) and the throttle/collective is operated by the left hand ( left thumb). the rudders or anti torque pedals are operated by the feet (left thumb).

In mode 1 however, the throttle is on the right stick with the left/right part of the cyclic. The left stick has the forward/back part of the cyclic plus the rudder/anti torque.

I hope that makes sense as I'm typing a couple of days after my Dad's funeral with a bit of wine/beer in my system. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

thanks for the explanation, it does make sense..

it makes me wonder which one i would prefer.. Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

So, is it better to learn on mode 2? Will this make it difficult to flip between two different TX's flying two different craft?

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Trully, Only you can answer that. I'd wager if you were comfortable flying mode2 heli then mode 2 planes should be a snap. If you can naturally fly mode 1 then stick with it.

If you fly mode 1 fixed wing.
I would not reccommend trying Mode 2 for helis. You will completeley blow up your brain thinking about the hand eye motor control.
I fly my heli mode 1 and I have no issues at all flying that way because that is the way I fly fixed wing.
The only new control you need to learn for flying helis is rolling and turning the aircraft at the same time. Carrying out a simple turn from downwind to final approach is done with aileron on your fixed wing but with helis it is a combination of aileron to induce the roll and rudder to twist the heli in the direction you want to go.
Easy eh!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Guy's, I'm buying some more of the awesome Align hex drivers for Darren & Myself
They're $15 au for a set and are absolutly and are easily the best drivers to use on your heli's. They are super strong and even handle the cheap HK screws really well.

http://www.helipross.com/hexagon-screw-d...hz024.html

The more people that are interested, the cheaper shipping will be (currently $19 whether I order 1 or 6...)

Hi Kieran
Ive got a pretty good set of drivers, but if its got Align on it and it less than $20 I have a set. Thanks.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

hey kizz,
for under 20 ill grab one set too.. Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday KV

Count me in too!

Cheers
Rob B

Sweet, right now we're looking at $19.37 per set. Any other takers? Will only get cheaper Wink

Yes please Kieran, I'll grab a set too.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Hey Andrew

I remember you saying you had to add some ballast to the front of your HK500 when you fitted it in the EC 135.

How did you work out the correct C of G (so to speak) or did you just test hover and add weight until you found a happy balance?

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

The Heli should always ideally balance at the main rotor. Hold it by the flybar to see how it balances.

Gaz, what Kieran said. I simply held it & shoved weight as needed (with battery installed) until it hung roughly level. I had a spare 2200mah lipo that was the right weight. I haven't had chance to replace it and use it for it's proper purpose. Smile

The Trex 600 now has the feathering shaft & bearings installed........a looooong way to go yet. Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Thanks guys
I thought that was prettty much the case, BUT.... my Trex always hangs its arse when batteried up and ready for flight, and it hovers like a champion with almost no trim adjustments apart from a little blade tracking. I just thought that Align got it right out of the box. I am using the batteries that they recommended in the build litrature.
Andrew
Its nerve racking work building a master piece. It is however worth it in the long run. Did you have look at Finless Bobs build videos. They helped clear up a lot of simple little issues during the construction of my TRex.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gaz, I'll look at them again...I had forgotten about them.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Built my new HK450, didn't take long (minus electronics). Figured i really need those tools from Kieran, hope i'm not to late. The screws are sh*t as a couple of them stripped at the head, not to worry as they sent me a crap load of extras, i think....

(22-11-2010, 04:44 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Sweet, right now we're looking at $19.37 per set. Any other takers? Will only get cheaper Wink

Kieran, am i too late for a set aswell.....

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Just in time! I made the order last night but caught them today and asked them to add another set!

(24-11-2010, 12:12 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Just in time! I made the order last night but caught them today and asked them to add another set!

Cheers mate, legend!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Can he mow the lawn for us?? Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Paid. Money transferred, Kieran.

(21-11-2010, 11:04 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Guy's, I'm buying some more of the awesome Align hex drivers for Darren & Myself
They're $15 au for a set and are absolutly and are easily the best drivers to use on your heli's. They are super strong and even handle the cheap HK screws really well.

http://www.helipross.com/hexagon-screw-d...hz024.html

The more people that are interested, the cheaper shipping will be (currently $19 whether I order 1 or 6...)

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Running through the set-up now for the heli on the DX6i and theres too much litreature on the net to know whats good or not. But i did find this great spreadsheet that i'm working with to set all the parameters up.
Whilst i think i have majority set, the Throttle & Pitch curves baffle me.
Could you lads have a look and advise whats best for beginners flight curves and set-up.
.xls HK450-DX6iSetupSheet-Popeyepete.xls Size: 68.5 KB  Downloads: 183

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

The curves are a good starting point but every heli/motor/esc/head setup combo will be different so you can't fully set it until we see it flying.

Your main objective is getting the thing extremely light on the skids right on half throttle for starters, don't bother about the stunt modes at all, in fact set them the same as your initial mode for now.

From there its a matter of finding a comfortable head speed and pitch at mid stick to base the rest of your setup around.