Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I still want to come down and bombard you all with n00bular questions... I'll keep an eye on the thread in the morning because I also don't want to get my tank bogged Rolleyes

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

(01-07-2011, 09:56 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  I plan to be there on Sunday as I'm busy Sat. I think some more inverted Heli stuff will be necessary. Smile

Aw, you'll miss be barrel rolling my heli then Wink

Howdy Guys
I will be at the field tomorrow for anyone who could not make it today to get their mug shots taken for the new membership cards for 2011-2012.
I have been called in to work in the morning. Not sure how long it will take but I expect to be at the field between 9 and 10.
See you all there dont be late.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've got a sick family this weekend. I apologise for being a pain but will need to get my mug shot done at a different time. Alternatively, can I supply a passwort framed style photo?

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone fly at our field today other than heli's?
Just wondering what the conditions were like, and if cars can get in.
I am planing on being there tomorrow if runways are useable.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Ended Up being a of nice Day, with helis flying beautifully and planes as well. Yes Can Drive In and it is a bit muddy on the descend and ascend so be careful and Field is wet on main but usable.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Paul,
I went down to get my mug shot done today but didn't fly as I didn't have the time. I have decided to fly at Penrith tomorrow as the strip is too wet for my liking, the puddles on the main strip just won't go away in this cooler weather. If you are hand launching or using the cross strip you should be OK.

Happy flying all.

Chris M

PS. Is anyone else venturing westwards to Penrith tomorrow?

OK Team
Here is what is happening.
I am not wasting whats left of my weekend after having to work from sunrise to sunset sitting around waiting to take photos of people who probably won't turn up, to a field that is a bog/ quagmire.
I will be taking photos from when I get there (probably around 9am until I leave at 10.30) I will then be heading out to Penrith for a fly.. Anyone who dosen't get their mug shots done this weekend will have to organise with a commitee member to have them done in the next 7 days or you can email a passport shot to the club.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(02-07-2011, 11:30 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I will be taking photos from when I get there (probably around 9am until I leave at 10.30)

Ok, see you then boss! Smile

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Thanks guys.
Kev and I have decided to give the flying a miss today.
We will arrange our mugs shots for Kieran.
Hope those of you who go to Penrith have a great day.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Much the same here - I'm having a bad hair day and Owen is doing what teenagers do and sleeping in, so we'll have to email mug-shots through during the week as well.
Won't be able to go to PEMAC today, so good luck to everyone who does!

Steve Murray

Wind forecast looks marvellous!

Yeh, great news since I've got a load of laundry to do on the weekend Frown

Steve Murray

Looking good for slope soaring, anyone interested?

Can the planes be powered or are they strict?

(06-07-2011, 06:28 PM)Servo Wrote:  Looking good for slope soaring, anyone interested?

I'd definatly be in a slope soaring expidition I have a couple of slope models that can be made ready in very short order, just needeing a reciever bind and a radio set up.

but I can't think of any place that works in a south westerly except for the cliff at North Head and that will be turbulent to fly with the wind strength over 15 Kts and there's no posability of recovery if you end up down the bottom. That's probably why no one flys there. Also I don't think it's an aproved sight either.

Doberoid head works in a S'Easter and long reef work's in a N'Easter and the other side of long reef works in S'Easter. If there's more than about 12-15 Knots there won't be any parra gliders to dodge Smile

Bald hill at Stanwell Park is a great spot but It needs an easterly wind

There is a hill owned by the quary off Archabald rd that faces west. I few there once years ago but they asked me to move on. Now there are some big trees in front of it that would spoil the flow up the slope a bit I think.

There is also a place at Mt Annon but I've never been there and I don't know what wind direction it works in.

Quote:Can the planes be powered or are they strict?

I've flown electric models at Doberoid Head not that long ago. They were pretty informal about it, much less formal about flying than we are. It's not a club owned field there, It's just a designated area where RC flying is allowed. So anyone can fly there and your covered if your a member of the MAAA

A lot of the of the electric models we fly at PRCAC would be OK on the slope if it were a good day. In fact something like a funjet would make an excellent slope model on a windier day!! Something like a Trogen would be AWSOME too you'd just want to take the under carage off it and land it on it's belly. There isn't much of a strip at most slope flying sights.

I remember having a flying wing balasted with about 1.2Kgs of roofing lead taped to the top of the wings and flying in wind gusting over 40Kts at long reef. That was a blast, a sand blast in fact at times.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I was thinking of Mt ANNAN, I went out there last Friday, apparently it's a good winter site and works well with west winds. They don't mind powered since they let me fly my Kinetic. There are three flying spots on the hill with different aspects so it handles a wide range of wind directions.

http://swenban.rchomepage.com/page.php?id=1

Thanks Kev, I was thinking you were referring to Mt Annan, I remember they had noise issues a while back so I wasn't sure if electric were allowed or not.

Kev,
Not knowing the site or the forecast, does Mt Annan work with high winds that we have had of late?
If I was to fly my glider (mass = 400g approx and no motor to get out of trouble) a strong wind could see it land back in Parramatta before you know it.
I would love to try a dedicated slope soaring site in the right weather conditions.
When were you intending on going down to Mt Annan?

Cheers
Chris M

Chris, was thinking of going Saturday morning depending on the wind. Willy is forecasting 30km which I believe is great for the standard slope soarer plane with good penetration. I think the glider I saw you flying at Penrith would not have the speed range to get you out of trouble, you would need 20-30 km over the wind speed. I think your Trojan would be ok. Kieran's hot liner would be ok. On the other hand Saturday/Sunday may be a good opportunity to watch some experts fly and pick up a good understanding of slope soaring. The drive to the site is about 50km from here (fast road mostly on the M5) and a 10minute climb up the hill, so you would need to carry everything apart from your plane in a back pack. Your plane doesn't need wheels, in fact they are a hindrance, you belly into the long grass.
When I was there last Friday the winds were light (about 10km) and I had to use the motor about 20% of the time to recover height. That is the beauty of Mt Annan, it gets better with more wind, certainly u could fly there in winds that you would not fly in at McCoy.

KevB

I'm not quite ready for my Hotliner maiden yet, still fiddling with a few things but that Mt Annan sounds like a lot of fun, I will look forward to going there in the near future with you guys.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Perhaps I should just grab my 737 and join you at Mt.Annan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasWlaVNgbU&feature=player_embedded

What a beutiful place to fly.. Norway in the spring/summer.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

hey he did a great job as a slope soarer that looked like fun.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

The wind forecast is settling down for tomorrow, Will be down at the field to re-maiden the Stryker

Unfortunately I cannot come down tomorrow.

Hoping Sunday will be OK wind wise - if not I shall have to wait for next weekend - All the best for those flying tomorrow.

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

(08-07-2011, 02:54 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  The wind forecast is settling down for tomorrow ...
Yes, that's good news - Willy now says 8 to 10 km/h.
Junior and I managed to get some circuits in this morning with KevB, Claudio and Simon. The field is in good condition and the main runway is fine. Several touch-and-go landings with the Trojan to test out the runway - no problems.

Steve Murray

I wont be flying tomorrow men, I have to go to a bloody christening at 11 am at Deewhy. (Yeehaa...NOT)
So hope to see you all on Sunday.
Runway permitting I will be maidening my new Deuces Wild.... Lookout!
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I hope to be there Sunday as well...just for a little while though.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I'm down for Sunday.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

I be Down if Weather's Good Tommorow.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile
Thread Closed