Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

All repairs complete.
I've got a replacement prop for the PT20 and the firewall is epoxied in place.
The decathlon has been dragged back into life (sorry Kieran) but I think it only has one more decent crash left in the fuse.
The stabiliser and nose of the Reach worlwhind has been re-plastered.

My heart says I'd love to fly tomorrow but my head is not so sure that it will be logistically possible. My wife is away and I need to ferry #1 son to Sailing at 11:00. Maybe I can squeeze in a quick cra##... er.. FLY or two if the kids can get organised early enough.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

I know the feeling Drew - we've got "Daughter Murray" competing in the state Little Athletics carnival at Homebush this weekend. Owen and I are going to try and get an early flight in tomorrow morning and then leave at about 10:00am. We'll probably go back to the field in the afternoon if the weather is suitable.

Steve Murray

I have a function on tomorrow so I won't be flying tomorrow.
If work leaves me alone and the weather is ok I will be flying on Sunday.
See you all then.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I will be there. Even if I have to walk in. And on Sunday too. Only mother nature can stop me... and that could be possible... but I will be there if MN holds out.

The Spitty is up and running again, this time with flaps to help for slower landings. Unfortunately I have family commitments this Sat and work on Sun, so I'll have to wait till next Sat to battle the "Hun in the Sun". Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Probably only Sunday for me this weekend too.
Then I'll miss the next 2 weekends as I'll be in Brisbane.
Have fixed the battery leads on the Mustang and the Vector X
has a new Motor so hopefully we'll get a good day Sunday.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

If the weather is OK I shall be down round 7.30am tomoroow.

See you guys then hopefully it will not rain & the wind be moderate.

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Wont make it this weekend, Have fun guys

Hi Guys,

Been up for a while watching the weather, it is very windy & sprinkling here.

On that I have decided NOT to pack the car & go today.

Shall leave it till tomorrow - hoping conditions will be better.

All the best,

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

I'd got the kids arranged and all planned up to get a quick flight in this morning but the rain and wind has defeated me. Frown
We've got another set of Adelaide visitors over next week and so might not make iot them either.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260

Went down this morning at 8am was spitting rain lightly, decided to leave flying to later as it looks like it may clear up and head down about 11am if it does

P.s No ones down there

steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

... and it's raining again at the field right now - not just sprinkling either Frown

Steve Murray

After the rain stopped and the sun came out for a while I went down for a fly. Strip is in great condition, no water, even flew some touch and goes. The only mud was outside the gate where I parked.

Here are a couple of photos taken about 10:10 am.

If there is no more heavy rain things should be good. Willy Weather is predicting very low winds this afternoon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What a difference a few hours can make. In Parramatta, and presumably at the field, we have had 1 1/2 inches of very heavy rain.

Being the eternal optimist I'll still be going to the field tomorrow morning if it isn't raining at the time.

John

Yes the Weather has set in john and i Think its to stay for the rest of the weekend. They did Predict it for Friday but it came late.

I Too like Paul waiting for my Dongle so i can Fly on line Hopefully this week.

I keen to try and fly in rain for some fun, I Think the Plane would be OK but the TX wont Like It at all.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

John - you timed your run perfectly, it looks like being the only flight of the weekend!
Here's what the field looked like at 4:25pm today ...

KevB - those pontoons/floats you've given away to Drew would be useful now Wink

Steve Murray

(15-03-2011, 08:42 PM)Skidz Wrote:  
(15-03-2011, 08:30 PM)secant0give Wrote:  
(15-03-2011, 06:49 PM)Skidz Wrote:  
(14-03-2011, 06:52 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I also found that they hunted a bit around the center and had a little back lash too. Now it's going to be Hitec 5085MGs instead

Hey Jason,
Maybe your servo had a broken tooth around neutral. I have had the same thing happen.

That's Interesting Dave I'll have to pull it apart and have a look now that it's out. What brand of servo was it that you had the broken tooth with? and what brand of servo are you currently using? I remember you showed me some nice ones on your rotor head a week or two back, they moved super smoothly, but I can't, for the life of me remember what name they went by.

New servo is now installed in the edge 540 Smile and I'm still thinking of shifting the C of G aft a little more to get it right.

slowly slowly catchy monkey

I don't use the large servos like the larger planes are using. I had trouble with el-cheapo HK servos. They were Hextronic HXT somethings (blue case). Ok for some models but not ok in helicopter cyclic controls (on my learner 450 - not the 500 I fly at the field). The plastic teeth came free quite easily after a mishap. I fixed the rotor head only to end up cursing the servos. I had freeplay and "issues" around mid travel. Right where the gears were meshed at crunch time. The heli developed eratic behaviour until I realised it was jumping a tooth or three.

The servos I am using at present are Savox servos. The manufacturer of my heli (Align) relabel them as DS510 for the cyclic control and DS520 for the rudder (higher torque and faster) but they are Savox units. On the quality scale they are 3.5 stars from 5.0. They are plastic gears not metal. Plastic has a better mesh quality and much less freeplay than metal. Provided they are matched for the load, I am duly advised plastic is ok. When you get in to the stump pulling torque requirements, I guess metal gears are better. I put a lot of stress on the cyclic servos with the flybarless set-up due to the way things link together but the servos are just fine.

Here is a good link that readers might find useful: http://www.spartan-rc.com/resources/servodb/servo.php. It is customised towards helicopters but the information is excellent.

Dave

Thanks Dave !!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Steve - Your photo has dampened my optimistic streak totally. Reckon I would have still gone tomorrow to see if flying was possible. Not to worry, there's always next weekend.

John H

Sorry about that John, but it's been tipping it down out here on and off all evening as well. Even though the water was flowing very quickly through the channel at the eastern end of the field when I was there on Saturday afternoon, it will still take a few days to drain off even if there was no further rain.
You're right mate - the focus is now on next weekend Smile
All the best!

Steve Murray

Gday all

Following up on previous field reports rain has been solid all night, field would be well and truly underwater for sure.

A look at the radar now indicates it's going to be be one wet day ongoing.

Cheers
Rob B

I guess we're all flying at Blacktown this weekend Wink

(21-03-2011, 09:24 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  I guess we're all flying at Blacktown this weekend Wink
Yup - I think that's the plan mate!

Steve Murray

(21-03-2011, 09:24 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  I guess we're all flying at Blacktown this weekend Wink

What's Going On you all want to Desert the lonely Field Just because its a little wet. lol

Steve Biggrin

If I had only grabbed those floats from Kevin, I could be fitting them now Wink.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Happened to be driving past the field this morning. Took a few photos. The field is looking good and driving in and out is not a problem. Grass still nice and probably doesn't need a haircut just yet.

There is some small areas of water on the main runway but should be gone by Sat - particularly if there is some wind Friday. The engine run-up bay at the bottom of the main runway is still a pool but we don't use that area (not on purpose anyway).

The photos are the very worst patches I could find. Mostly green, dry and ready for the weekend.

Bummer! I'm out of action all Saturday proctoring an exam and we've got guests over Sunday. I was hoping for crappy conditions so I wouldn't be hankering for a fly Frown.

Have a great time for those that make it out Biggrin

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Yeh, ditto Dave - I went over at about 4:30pm and saw much the same. There are a few patches that were squelchy underfoot, but it's recovering really quickly. The cross-strip is in quite good condition along it's complete length.
Fingers crossed for no rain on Friday, but that's all we can do for the moment ...

Steve Murray

(24-03-2011, 05:27 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Yeh, ditto Dave - I went over at about 4:30pm and saw much the same. There are a few patches that were squelchy underfoot, but it's recovering really quickly. The cross-strip is in quite good condition along it's complete length.
Fingers crossed for no rain on Friday, but that's all we can do for the moment ...

We've certainly got wind enough to dry things out this morning !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I will be there in the morning. Going to vote first and get it out of the way. Waited until the end of the day last time and was pi555ed at the length of the queue.
Changed my mind. Flying before voting. Gotta get my priorities right (plus they predict big queues early).

ETA 8am.

A morning flight looks a good option at this stage - Willy says it's going to be windy (13 km/h at 0700), but experience suggests that Willy often overestimates the early morning wind strength.

Steve Murray
Thread Closed