Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

We went down to the "Wings over Illawarra" air-show (which wasn't much chop this time around) and so didn't get to the field either Claudio - don't know what the conditions were like.

Jeez ... a weather station somewhere near the field would be handy wouldn't it! Watch this space!

Steve Murray

About 8 of us turned up between 7 and 9 on Sunday.
Most of us got a few flights in but the rain arrived at 9.30 and we all scarpered.

Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(28-02-2011, 12:04 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  We went down to the "Wings over Illawarra" air-show (which wasn't much chop this time around)

Jeez ... a weather station somewhere near the field would be handy wouldn't it! Watch this space!

Sorry to hear about the airshow.

I picked up some more of those JarCar wealther stations, at the end of the day they were going for all you could carry for $5, unfortunately I could only carry 6. They are most likely faulty but the sensor mechanics should be ok.

Also heard about a web based weather net work called

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstati...x.asp?MR=1

cheers
KevB

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the gates are being unlocked tomorrow morning, if so what time?
Thanks
Chris

I am Up For A Fly Tomorrow morning Early if the weather is good to Us. Smile

Sunday's out as I'm doing Tour DE Hills Shock yes ShockWith My better half Smile

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I have to work tomorrow, but if no one else is available I can drop by the field a 5.30 on the way to work and unlock..
I won't open the boom gates I will just unlock them.
Someone please let me know if they are arriving early so I dont need to detour.
PS : I will be flying later weather permitting, hope to be there by 10.30

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks for that Gary we would be lost without you.
I will be down at 8-00am weather permitting and if the weather is not good I will go down before 9am to lock up assuming that no one else is flying.
Cheers
Chris

I'm planning to go down Sunday around 8am.
Kieran, I keep missing you as far as parts pickup. Are you planning on coming down to the field this weekend? I can try to meet you if it's not Sunday - don't stress though, we'll meet eventually - Thanks.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

I will not be down tomorrow as we have just returned from holidays.

Been travelling all day, pretty tired, lots of unpacking to do.

Shall try for Sunday as no batteriies etc are charged or planes checked.

Hope to see you then! Will post tomrrow for Sunday should be OK for 7.00am if the weather is OK.

Where are the other key holders so it is not left up to Garry & myself to open every weekend?

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

I will be down between 7 and 8am. Forecast looks reasonable.

Most Saturdays I can't make it down.
Will be there Sunday though.
Just wondering, whatever happened to the rule of not flying before 8am Saturdays
and 9am Sundays? I'm assuming we are only using the quieter planes early?
No EDF's, Stryker/Funjets etc Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Won't be down this weekend..Spitfire is still undergoing her upgrades, (Sound system is much better with the 3 blade prop), AND I need to recoup brownie points from my work trip overseas. (She was REAL jealous that I couldn't take her with me.....the presents helped, but MY presence is what she requires. ) Wink Wink

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I will be opening the locks on the gates on the way to work.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(04-03-2011, 09:54 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I will be opening the locks on the gates on the way to work.
Gazz

I opened up on the way to work 6.30

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gary

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I might get down there if the wind drops a little it seems to be building at the moment tho'

I'd have been down there earlier but I've been putting the finishing touches on my New Edge 540

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I have a key and normally get there at about 9:00am-ish. I'm not needed today and it sounds like the wind's up. With other family pressures today, I'm grounded this week.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

To all that didn't get there, there was a good turn out this morning with the wind really not gettting in the way of some decent flying.

Colin "landed" his Cessna on the roof next door. Steve retrieved it ok. Some minor damage saw it grounded in favour of the fan powered flying wing.

The *lawn dart award* went to Steve who had aileron servo issues during a high speed low level pass over the second runway. Just a few metres from Gary's PC9 crater, Steve's plane went in hard leaving a 4m debris field. Only the tail section left to make a wall mounted trophy for the sports room.

Chris brought down a 2ch sail plane and after some trimming issues, it performed quite well but the concensus of opinion would be that it would fly much better with a mod to the tow hook for the bungie to launch it much higher and to fly in quieter winds. Found myself flashing back myself to the days of the 2ch 'floating' sail planes and tow line starts with the brother peddling the bike one handed with the line in the other (no bungie!).

John's TB20 performed flawlessly until a hard'ish landing revealed a stress fracture in the wing root. TB20 back in the boot. Out with another parky which zoomed around until no batteries left.

A good morning of flying until the rain started to sprinke down about 10.30am. That cleared the field!!

Yes It was A nice morning down at the Field , many Flights with Speedy glider , Stryker, Rv9 and of course the carnage of the Pogo

Yes Take off was great many flight circuits and low passes , till i turned into another low level pass and when i tried to level up i lost response from Aileron Servo. (Using 1 Aileron Servo for both Ailerons) and it Crashed and burned ( if i had a match it would have burned). Was Pretty Spectacular, Heh I was even Impressed myself and its mine. Smile

Though after wards i was Little Frustrated in considering i got it finally set just right with Cris's Landing gear setup and COG and Thrust Angle Perfect.

But i had found the issue and i have no one to blame but myself as i am the one that wedge the Aileron Servo in its tight position and
Jammed those wires in tight and removing the wing many times on/off getting all other things right i had inadvertently caused a crash in its making.
initial thoughts was servo was Jammed or failed internals but that not the case.
Negative wire was broken internally at casing and other were not far behind.
It Must Of been just making contact and then just decided to fail in flight. Strange but ?

SO GO THE TURNIGY METAL SERVOS ALL INTERNALLY A1 Smile

Will be sticking to the same setup and servos in the new POGO Airframe.

Steve Smile

(05-03-2011, 04:45 PM)samste Wrote:  SO GO THE TURNIGY METAL SERVOS ALL INTERNALLY A1 Smile

Will be sticking to the same setup and servos in the new POGO Airframe.

Apart from the tragedy of the pogo going submarine, there is probably a good maintenance tip coming out of it for all of us (..to check the servo wiriing leads from time to time).

I hope to get down there tomorrow to test fly the new edge.

sorry to hear about the pogo.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Weather permitting I will be opening up around 8.00 am tomorrow.

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

fingers crossed

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Not the most successful weekend for me I'm afraid...

Friday evening saw my T-28 ultra micro flying backwards out of the park when the wind picked up shortly after take-off (eventually recovered after a 20 minute search).

Went down to the field Saturday, but the wind was enough to scare off this newbie...

Down to the field on Sunday again with the Stinson. Gary was kind enough to take me up on a buddy umbilical, and after a bit of struggle settling in with the different settings dialled in to his transmitter (Owen, will be sure to take note of what we've got dialled in to your transmitter next time we're at the field) was just getting comfortable when suddenly the Stinson and Victor's aircraft thought it might be fun to share the same piece of airspace :-)

After a couple of seconds holding half to 3/4 left aileron to maintain level, Gary took over and brought the wounded bird home deftly. Which was pretty remarkable given the damage included a half chord break at the wing root, similar damage on the outer left side of the wing with some warping, and the outer half of the left aileron deciding it would rather be a flap. Hat's off to Gazz.

Victor landed shortly after, and best we could tell at the field there was just a small nick on the wing, so fortunately it looks like his aircraft was the (ahem) victor. In Gary's words - Balsa and Ply: 1, Foamie: 0

Came home, went to fly the ar.drone, and it bricked itself during a firmware upgrade. Insult to injury.

So that's the bad news. The good news is the ultra micro was in one piece, I've a new Stinson wing on order, the old wing is mostly repaired and may just be worth continuing with (albeit it with some, um, retrimming), and a hacked up USB cable to give to anyone else who needs to fix a bricked ar.drone.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(06-03-2011, 07:58 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Victor landed shortly after, and best we could tell at the field there was just a small nick on the wing, so fortunately it looks like his aircraft was the (ahem) victor.
Heh, heh, heh - very good Claudio Smile

Steve Murray

(06-03-2011, 07:58 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Not the most successful weekend for me I'm afraid...

Nice report. Can only believe it was bad luck that lead to to the mid-air contact. "Onya" Gary for the evasive action and emergency landing. Claudio, we hope your Stinson is back in the air real soon.

Welcome to the world of RC aircraft, Claudio.
All is good in the world though mate. With a new wing the mighty Stinson will be off like a Brides nightie. We all have to deal with trials and tribulation in life........
We all hope that we will be a major factor in a Bride loosing her nightie.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(06-03-2011, 08:21 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Welcome to the world of RC aircraft, Claudio.
All is good in the world though mate. With a new wing the mighty Stinson will be off like a Brides nightie. We all have to deal with trials and tribulation in life........
We all hope that we will be a major factor in a Bride loosing her nightie.
Gazz

Hey Gazz, maybe you could start a new thread on 'how to lose that nightie'.

My bride definitely kept her nightie on!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot remember when I last flew 3 different aircraft in a day and came down unscathe..........must have been MY day after all the trials and tribulations of the last few weeks.

Keep smiling chapsBiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

Smile

I'm doing family stuff this Sat, but I'm planning to be there Sun to fly at 9am. The Spitty will be there with speakers ready and amp cranked up to 11 !!! Smile (thanks to "Spinal Tap") Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro
Thread Closed