Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

hi all

just wanted to say it was awesome to meet you all this morning at the field. Shame I had to leave early but I will try to be back tomorrow for some more action and will hopefully get the B400 sorted too.

and big thank you for all the tips and help !!!!!

Alex

DX6i radio

Flown:
Blade 400 (parked atm, practising on sim)
Skyartec Cessna 182 (how many times am I going to crash this ?)
HK Yak 54 (love it love it love it ... little indestructible beauty)

To be flown yet (when I know what I am doing):
Durafly Spitfire XL (huuuuuugeeee)
HK Spitfire (little brother of the above)
P51-D Mustang (love the quad prop)
3D Hawk 80 (what is 3D ??? heh)
HK Pitts (its so beautiful!)

Just got back in from checking the field - it's surprisingly good, given the rain we've had over the past couple of days.
There are two obstacles though: There's a pool of water on the main strip about half way along, but it's close to the southern edge of the strip - the other issue is that there is quite a lot of water on the western end of the strip, including a stream running right across the main runway near the western end of the bungee-run.

The cross strip is perfect and all of the eastern half of the main strip is good too.

The forecasts don't look good for the next week or so, with rain predicted every day. If it doesn't rain between now and tomorrow morning then I'll be flying tomorrow to get some stick-time in while there's a chance. If there is any significant rainfall overnight though, then I'd recommend giving it a miss.

Steve Murray

Thanks for the update Steve
Doesn't sound to promising though.
Will wat until tomorrow to make a decision about flying or building.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

No worries Gazz - most of the strip is in really good shape, it's just the pools of water at the western end which would make a landing a bit difficult if you happened to find yourself heading into one of them. With a T-28 or similar you'd be right because it's a bit easier to put them down where you want 'em to be (up the eastern end, or anywhere on the cross-strip) but anything that comes in fast and needs a bit of space would be problematic.

What's making me think I'm going to go, is that Willy says there's going to be almost no breeze in the morning, which means with the choice of a right-hand circuit we can come in right-to-left over the top of the mushy end and land on the very good sections of runway to the left.

Anyway, need to see if the rain holds off overnight I guess ...

Steve Murray

Hi Steve, I'm planning to be there Saturday only. I want to get some stick time up on the Spitty and work on an "airshow routine". Smile Hope to be there 8 to 830.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Gday All

We just had some quite heavy rain here, hope this has not swamped up the field too much.

Cheers
Rob B

I think the forcast is for a few showers and clearing ??

Hopefully I'll get down there this morning
I'd like to test the new antenna I made for my video link Smile Been hanging for Saturday all week

Looks like the suns comming out again hopefully it lasts

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Definitely going to sneak back over to the field for a fly again tomorrow morning - the cross-strip was good today and the water which was on the main strip this morning will probably be gone completely if there's little or no overnight rain. There's not much hope of a mid-week flight, judging by the forecasts.

Congratulations again to Jason, his video downlink was excellent - the reception was rock-solid whenever the aircraft was in front of the receiving antenna ground plane, and the telemetry overlay had us enthralled. Loved it!

Steve Murray

I agree Steve, the downlink of his video looked excellent..coupled with nice, smooth flying.

Thanks to Owen for videoing the Spitfire. I must admit it looked beautiful.....dead stick and all! Smile
Turned out to be a dicky ESC. I have a new one & the problem's gone. Thanks Steve, also for the 4s!!

Now, if I put floats on the Spit for today, I can turn it into a Schneider Trophy Racer! Smile

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I got my Blade ready and also spent the Sat working on the Spitfire I got Smile (yes, more planes!!! see my sig).

looks like the field will be flooded though after the nights rain, is anyone going out ?

DX6i radio

Flown:

Alex, I can give you some TX settings that will help with the Spit. It's not a beginners a/c. The elevators are VERY sensitive. Have the linkage closest in at the servo and furthest out at the elev. Set the travel adjust on elev to 90% up & down. Set the D/R to 50%. It needs a "bootfull" of right rudder on takeoff. When airborne throttle back to about 2/3, select gear up and D/R on elevator *. I have reduced the ailerons too but can't remember what to. Get maximum throw from the rudder.

* Practice your finger movements on the TX at home.."Pretend" to takeoff...ease throttle up, up elevator to prevent nose over, right rudder to keep straight, ease off back stick as it accelerates, once airborne, throttle back, gear up D/R....remember gear down for ldg. "Picture" the a/c in flight responding to your inputs.

At work we call this "armchair flying"....visualising the flight and developing muscle memory for switches etc. It will make it MUCH easier for your real flight.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

thank you very much for the tips Andrew , I also found a good thread on the RCgroups forums with lots of good tips on how to modify and improve the Spitfire. Have a look here: LINK CLICK HERE if you have not seen it.

I tried the spitfire on the phoenix 2.5 and I am surprised to hear about the right rudder on take off u r referring to as thats exactly what was happening on the simulator. After few take offs, I got used to it and apply a decent amount when going up and then slowly let it go as u clear the ground. Its pretty cool.

I think it will be a while till I fly the spitfire though, I might keep practicing with the Cessna and the P51-D. And, ehm, by some accident I just purchased the YAK-54 from HK, its so cheap, I cant resist!!!! Reason why I got it is I wanted a small plane I can fly at the park which is literaly next to my house Smile

DX6i radio

Flown:

John. Thanks for the photos and video. You got really close to the weeds by the lloks of some of the passes.
I think the white spot you picked out further to the right from where I suspected appears to be it. Unfortunately, it is at the edge of what looks like a clearing and this rain may be threatening to wash it down the stream.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

anyone going out on the field tomorrow morning ?

DX6i radio

Flown:

Yes Alex
There will be quite a few tomorrow.
We have our Australia Day Trials as well as scheduled normal flying for all members.
HYBLOAP?
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

The kids had a v-late night tonight so it'll probably be after 9 before I get there. I'll bring a new foamy and the Aussie dayt lists.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Despite the early rain we're gonna give it a go today

I have to take one of the kids to the Doctor's this morning...I'll try to get to the field before lunch.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Ok, so for those who were not down the field today. If you are flying tomorrow, Please park in the heli practice area tomorrow and on the 22nd & 23rd of Jan.

Flying ops are available on both the main runway and Parramatta park training runway however the cross strip will be closed when the training runway is in use.

well ... I had my first flight and first crash yest ... I was going to come out to the field yest but got a piece of metal stuck in my foot so had to take care of that ouch ... I thought I might give the Cessna a go though later at the local school field which is huge and has a nice pitch in the middle perfect for landing Smile

anyway, in all the excitment I checked everything I can however, forgot to change the model in my dx6i !!! it had my yak set up and its elevator servo is reversed ... well you can imagine what happened. I hand launched the Cessna and it flew nice and straight beautifully and I was standing there I got the CG and other basics right. Then I was ok lets start climbing and the moment I pulled my elev stick down, massive nosedive from about 3m with full throttle Frown ouch ... prop broke, engine is fine and so are the mounts. However the main wing broke in half so I am going to have to fix that. Frown oh well ... we learn the hard way, just like with my blade. heh

I should have waited till this morning as I am sure with all the pros around I would not make such a mistake ... bummer ...

I still have the yak ready to go but Im bit nervous atm so might take the day off and come back next weekend ...

gosh, cant even imagine flying the spitty ... it will be a while till his maiden Frown

DX6i radio

Flown:

That's a bummer about your plane mate.

I have seen a real cheap way to prevent it happening again.
Get some white painter's tape..write the words, "Correct model. Do a control check"..and stick it on the front of your TX. It works.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I'm wondering why Model match didn't work

That's right Kieran,

This has occurred using 36Mhz to me, BUT I was lead to believe that 2.4Ghz the motor nothing should work - hence being able to use multiple planes at once without the worry of interferance.

That was another reason I have change to 2.4Ghz from 36Mhz.

The Tansmitter should ONLY lock into the designated receiver which it has been binded to.

I would check the receiver / transmitter to make sure that this was an isolated case - sounds like something is not right.

Sorry about the plane - as they say no pain no gain!

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Was good to have another morning of Flying today, as I have to go back to work after 2 weeks off. Steve Hand launched my Funjet (Maiden Flight) and helped with flying tips and finding the Rates switch on my Tx when I couldn't find it with shaking hands and not about to take my eye off the plane! Was good though - nice to have a plane with a bit more speed and fun.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

(16-01-2011, 07:25 PM)dingy Wrote:  The Tansmitter should ONLY lock into the designated receiver which it has been binded to.

yep, you are right. I actually looked into it later and realized I have done number of things wrong, most importantly I should have reset my settings as I was using the yak Tx in the Cessna without changing the settings on the elevator. I did not even look at the name on the dx6i as when I plugged the battery in I moved the sticks around quickly and I could hear servos moving so thinking all is sweet I did not visually check that all the parts are moving int he right direction. Frown such a rookie mistake !!!!!!

I bought 8 receivers from HK (amongst other things) now so I will have one for each plane, so much easier and very cheap.

cant wait to have another go ... btw just nearly finished building the 3D Hawk-80, it was a lot of fun and cant wait to fly it but it might be a while.

lol, first of all, I need to stop buying more planes and need to start actually flying !!! fingers crossed the weather works out this weekend, really hoping to get out there and get some tips from you pros ThumbupThumbupThumbup

DX6i radio

Flown:

just received the replacement wing for my Cessna ... not sure if this will fly , heh.

[Image: img1345ar.th.jpg]

[Image: img1349w.th.jpg]

DX6i radio

Flown:

Looks Like a Bit Of Epoxy is in Order Wink unless supplier will send you a new one.

Hobbyking Supplier ?

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

no, VIC supplier ...

cant glue it together, part is bent badly ...

I can glue the one I broke potentially ...

DX6i radio

Flown:

Anyone Heading down Tomorrow ?

Hoping to head down Tomorrow for a re flight of the speedy Glider after last mishap. Leet

(shaft just sheared off during flight after i gave it just one too many Full throttle from zero fly bys Then i had a 5 min dead stick glider landing Wink)

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

As usual Steve
I have to pop into work for an hour or so, but should be at the field by 9.

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thread Closed