Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I'm at the field and it's quit nice a little breeze but nothing harsh
I'll be here for about another 40 mins

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

We have had a little rain overnight & things looking dampish outside. Wind forecast good, but showers expected. Anybody flying today?
I am heading down 8.30ish for a looksee & possible few flights

I'm sure the field will be fine
I may get down there for a bit this morning I'll have the little ones with me so I won't stay for long

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Sprinkling lightly at Cherrybrook at 7:15am. Hmmm?

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

dry as can be here at sevenhills

There's been no rain here at Toonie so far.
I'm off to Emu Heights for the day as it's PEMAC's Xmas barbecue today Smile

Steve Murray

Not the most ideal flying conditions with the wind in the high teens, but at least no rain. Heading to the field about 8.30. See y'all there, for those who dare

Hi guys, sorry for standing behind my lectern again but I feel this topic needs to be raised again.
We have had quite a few new fliers/member at our club of recent who don't have the combination for entry.
As we are at the beginning of the holiday season, I have had queries about opening times for flying. The best advice I have been able to give is to visit our forum before venturing to the field.
To best help these guys, I would urge everybody who has access to the combination & intends to fly over the holiday period, to check the forum & if nobody has posted that they are opening the gates, to do so themself.
This action has more advantages than previously mentioned. There is also a safety issue, I do not believe it is wise to fly alone at the field. There are records of people injuring themselves with planes & helies, if nobody is there to to assist, there is no passing traffic to assist or get help.
Get injured looking for a plane in the reeds or trees, who would know where you are and how long would it take for a search party to start looking for you. By posting your attendance of the forum, at least somebody will know where you are if you go missing for a prolonged period of time.
So do yourself & others a favour, dont wait for others to post flying intentions, if nobody else has done it for the day, do so yourself. Even if you dan't have the combination, I am sure you will get a reply from somebody who does.
Am I alone with these thoughts?

(21-12-2013, 04:12 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  ...
Am I alone with these thoughts?

No, you're not alone, Wayne - the forum has been quiet lately with everyone presumably preoccupied with other things leading up to Xmas. It is a good idea to post messages up in this thread to let everyone know what's happening. Something we've got to get back into the habit of!

Steve Murray

Ok I am on holidays as from Friday last, I was hoping to get some time spent at the field over the next 2 weeks. I know that our flight times are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
My question is, can we fly at the field on an ad hoc basis on other days during the festive season or are we "strictly" forbidden to fly outside of the alloted days?
I agree that one should never fly alone, for safety reason, the hard part being that if one posts in the forum that they will be attending the field on a particular day, should they wait for a response before travelling to the field and setting up the flight box etc?...or do so anyway, and wait?

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Anyone planning on going tomorrow, if the wind is lower than it was today? I'm hoping to get there early but I've not joined yet (bringing the form tomorrow). Would hate to get there and find it locked, so I'm checking here first.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I will be down bright and early tomorrow Simon, I plan to be there by 8.30, see you there
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(21-12-2013, 06:29 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  Ok I am on holidays as from Friday last, I was hoping to get some time spent at the field over the next 2 weeks. I know that our flight times are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
My question is, can we fly at the field on an ad hoc basis on other days during the festive season or are we "strictly" forbidden to fly outside of the alloted days?
Not sure of this question, hopefully this is clarified by one of the comittee members.

(21-12-2013, 06:29 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  I agree that one should never fly alone, for safety reason, the hard part being that if one posts in the forum that they will be attending the field on a particular day, should they wait for a response before travelling to the field and setting up the flight box etc?...or do so anyway, and wait?
I don't believe our regulations cover this, I mentioned it on a personal level and merely offered food for thought. Flying alone is at own risk, and hopefully now it is a more educated risk.

(22-12-2013, 07:53 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  
(21-12-2013, 06:29 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  Ok I am on holidays as from Friday last, I was hoping to get some time spent at the field over the next 2 weeks. I know that our flight times are Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.
Not sure of this question, hopefully this is clarified by one of the comittee members.
We pay Parramatta City Council for use of the field on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays which essentially gives us exclusive use of that area of McCoy park on those days. It means we can arrive there as a mob and help ourselves. We've got the field and it's ours, on those occasions. On other days we could be justified in viewing ourselves as any other member of the public, and as long as we're careful to coexist with people who might be walking dogs, or people practising golf, or whatever - then we're entitled to share the facility like anyone else. It's always necessary to exercise caution - but in small groups and with a readiness to share the area, flying on any day should be viewed as if it were any other activity which makes use of the public land.

(22-12-2013, 07:53 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  
(21-12-2013, 06:29 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  I agree that one should never fly alone, for safety reason, the hard part being that if one posts in the forum that they will be attending the field on a particular day, should they wait for a response before travelling to the field and setting up the flight box etc?...or do so anyway, and wait?
I don't believe our regulations cover this, I mentioned it on a personal level and merely offered food for thought. Flying alone is at own risk, and hopefully now it is a more educated risk.
If you're intending to fly on a certain day (particularly if it's a Wednesday, or a weekend) and you've got everything set up to do so then you shouldn't have to cancel your plans just because nobody else is available to turn up. So, get there if you wish, open the field box so that the boots and first-aid kit are available and go for it. We discourage people flying alone because of the reasons and very real risks that Wayne correctly pointed out, but we're not in a position to disallow it. In the main, we're adults that can and should be able to make a judgement call ... and to deal with the consequences of course.

Steve Murray

Thanks for the backup Steve, none of us are intending to be the flight Police outside of Council, CASA & MAAA regulations but it is important that we highlight safety precautions as they come to need. Although, If you are flying alone it is still important that we still stay within the flyzones.

No worries Wayne - and you're right when say that it's safety which is the primary requirement.
Yes again, we must ALWAYS stay within the flying zone.

Steve Murray

I will be flying at the field this Tuesday 24th Dec..... Anybody who wants to join is welcome

(22-12-2013, 10:32 PM)Build em crash 'em Wrote:  I will be flying at the field this Tuesday 24th Dec..... Anybody who wants to join is welcome

What time, mate, we'll come down...

(22-12-2013, 10:12 AM)smuzz Wrote:  We pay Parramatta City Council for use of the field on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays which essentially gives us exclusive use of that area of McCoy park on those days.

Is there an official policy - either from us or from the council - regarding motorcycles and quadbikes in that area?

I went down to the field from 3pm to 5pm yesterday (Sunday), because I really wanted to maiden a new aircraft before the holidays. Around 4:30pm, three motorcycles and a quadbike showed up, and proceeded to tear up and down the runway. I talked to the one who looked like "Dad" (some of the others were only little tykes on little bikes), and asked him to at least keep off the runway, and they mostly avoided it afterwards, but I didn't know what the rules were in regards to them being there in the first place.

Unless council have rules against it and are willing to enforce them, I can't see us doing much to keep the bikes out. The guy seemed genuinely surprised to find out that the mowed strips were runways.

(22-12-2013, 10:12 AM)smuzz Wrote:  We discourage people flying alone because of the reasons and very real risks that Wayne correctly pointed out, but we're not in a position to disallow it. In the main, we're adults that can and should be able to make a judgement call ... and to deal with the consequences of course.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see a "no fly alone" rule instituted. What Wayne said about safety holds at all times of course, but personally I do not believe it's dangerous enough to warrant a rule. SCUBA comes to mind as an example of something that should never be done without backup, but I just don't think flying RC planes is quite in that category. The pilot is looking at the plane the whole time (hopefully!), and the chances of flying directly into one's self are rather remote. Even then, the pilot would have to be extremely unfortunate to be incapacitated beyond the ability to call for help.

In some ways I'm more worried when there are lots of people present - for example that HK event at PEMAC a few weeks ago. An entire sideline was filled with human bodies, all the way along. Had any of those massive helis or hotliners lost control and flown to a particular side, they'd have chewed up somebody.

Yesterday, the worst part was the heat. I went through 2L of water in 2h and I still felt thirsty. The covering looked like it had melted off the balsa frame.

(23-12-2013, 10:00 AM)disoriented Wrote:  Is there an official policy - either from us or from the council - regarding motorcycles and quadbikes in that area?

I went down to the field from 3pm to 5pm yesterday (Sunday), because I really wanted to maiden a new aircraft before the holidays. Around 4:30pm, three motorcycles and a quadbike showed up, and proceeded to tear up and down the runway. I talked to the one who looked like "Dad" (some of the others were only little tykes on little bikes), and asked him to at least keep off the runway, and they mostly avoided it afterwards, but I didn't know what the rules were in regards to them being there in the first place.

Unless council have rules against it and are willing to enforce them, I can't see us doing much to keep the bikes out. The guy seemed genuinely surprised to find out that the mowed strips were runways.

Yes Andre - there is a Council policy regarding the use of quads, trikes and motor-bikes. Essentially, it's illegal and yet there's quite a number of incidents each year which frustrate us. Council rangers occasionally patrol (there were a couple watching our Xmas party event) but I think they know that their current level of commitment isn't enough to stop it completely.

Thanks anyway, for having a word to yesterday's visitors - it's about all we can do, in most cases.

(23-12-2013, 10:00 AM)disoriented Wrote:  Personally, I wouldn't like to see a "no fly alone" rule instituted. What Wayne said about safety holds at all times of course, but personally I do not believe it's dangerous enough to warrant a rule. SCUBA comes to mind as an example of something that should never be done without backup, but I just don't think flying RC planes is quite in that category. The pilot is looking at the plane the whole time (hopefully!), and the chances of flying directly into one's self are rather remote. Even then, the pilot would have to be extremely unfortunate to be incapacitated beyond the ability to call for help.

In some ways I'm more worried when there are lots of people present - for example that HK event at PEMAC a few weeks ago. An entire sideline was filled with human bodies, all the way along. Had any of those massive helis or hotliners lost control and flown to a particular side, they'd have chewed up somebody.

All good arguments!

(23-12-2013, 10:00 AM)disoriented Wrote:  Yesterday, the worst part was the heat. I went through 2L of water in 2h and I still felt thirsty. The covering looked like it had melted off the balsa frame.

Water is only useful up to a point - then you need to head home for a few beers! Wink

Steve Murray

(23-12-2013, 09:52 AM)iainwhyte Wrote:  
(22-12-2013, 10:32 PM)Build em crash 'em Wrote:  I will be flying at the field this Tuesday 24th Dec..... Anybody who wants to join is welcome

What time, mate, we'll come down...

I'm thinking around 8.30..... ish... lol... would be good to have some company Biggrin

There are signs saying motorcycles are prohibited and that large fines can be imposed on those who do ride down there

Sorry guys, I wont be opening this morning. Typical of my recent holiday luck, I have the dreaded flu bug & sitting it out.

(28-12-2013, 06:00 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Sorry guys, I wont be opening this morning. Typical of my recent holiday luck, I have the dreaded flu bug & sitting it out.

Sorry to hear your not well, get well soon. No doubt you have lots of repair jobs to fill in your time lol

Sorry to hear that Wayne.
Apologies to all too - I can't open up either today.

Steve Murray

So I guess there's no CAFI's on the field today? I'll sit today out if that's the case.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

There's a few instructors here at the field today

A BIG thank you to Wayne, not well, with no planes in tow, but still came to the field to help out us non soloists, well done mate, you are what Clubs are all about.

Thanks for the compliment Chris. Was not a problem, my days of needing an instructor are very fresh in my mind (still need them when maidening my bigger & more expensive planes) and I see it as an honour to put back into the club what I have got out of it. We have a club full of friendly & helpful people, only too willing to go out of ther way to make our club what it is, one that other clubs only aspire to become.

Nice work Wayne!

The forecasts say that it's going to be really windy tomorrow, and flying often isn't much fun when that's the case. Things look a little better for a fly during the week, so maybe we can get down to the field again in a day or two. We can make some posts in the relevant thread for that I guess.

Steve Murray
Thread Closed