Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Its a sad day folks, Captain Decadance signing in for the last time, yes I have to go back to work next week...... and that sux!
I will be however be opening up the field tomorrow about 8am.
Weather looks good AGAIN!
See you there!
Yes George... Ive got your props in my box.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(11-05-2012, 06:54 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Its a sad day folks, Captain Decadance signing in for the last time

/sniff He had a good run. And couldn't have timed the run of nice weather much better!

Thanks for opening up for myself and others the last couple Wednesdays, and various other days. Definitely allowed more than a few of us get some extra air time in!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(11-05-2012, 06:54 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Its a sad day folks, Captain Decadance signing in for the last time, yes I have to go back to work next week...... and that sux!
I will be however be opening up the field tomorrow about 8am.
Weather looks good AGAIN!
See you there!
Yes George... Ive got your props in my box.

Captain Decadence, it's good to be the king Wink

I have a sample of that catapult rubber we were discussing week before last, for you perusal, I'll bring it with me tomorrow. Please remind me about the cattledog for the shirts and hats

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

No worries Jason
The cattle dog is already in the car

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi Gaz, can I pick up that carbon fibre offcut for the skyfun tomorrow?

i will be down later Today, around 11pm
Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

i was impressed with the field, the runwayand amount of members we had there today , and most importantly the no damage to my planes / and no radio glitches today . all i needed was less wind and it wouldve been a perfect day . jason gave my foamy extra 330 its maiden today , and aside from the wind i liked the way it looked , georges s'bach maiden seemed to fly quite well ,i'm guessing when thats sorted it will be a beauty , i got to fly a trojan t28 today as well , nice fly but a little bumpy in the wind , learnt how to hand launch successfully today also , unless i winged it LOL , And the stinger fought off the wind well . finally starting to have a little fun , interesting to see the mix of planes ,building styles and flying styles down at the club .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Good to here that there were many down this morning.
Yes, Field is getting better, i popped down after lunch and wind had settled a bit and got some flights in.

I think it's a good practice to fly in all conditions, Just pick the planes you have that best handle the windy conditions.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

George's Sbach maiden

http://youtu.be/XC8hl7DOCkU

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(13-05-2012, 01:56 PM)secant0give Wrote:  George's Sbach maiden

Nice job George. It does like to be flown all the way to the ground doesn't it? I've mixed in a touch of flaperon on mine.

Could I ask what prop/motor/batt you are running? I've got a 10x6/Turnigy Park 480/3S 1800mAh, and it feels like it could be more fun with something beefier Smile

Formation flying soon? Might have a squadron of these soon (you listening Chris M? Smile)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

George How did you go with the HK Katana? have you flown it yet?

My little yellow edge is about that size and I've got an Eflight 10 in it and I runing with a 3S 1300 lipo pack. It's got enough grunt to indefinitely vertical can hover OK and flies for 5 mins with judicious throttle use.

I'm just as interested to hear, as Claudio is, what your running in the Sbach

(13-05-2012, 08:47 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(13-05-2012, 01:56 PM)secant0give Wrote:  George's Sbach maiden

Nice job George. It does like to be flown all the way to the ground doesn't it? I've mixed in a touch of flaperon on mine.

Could I ask what prop/motor/batt you are running? I've got a 10x6/Turnigy Park 480/3S 1800mAh, and it feels like it could be more fun with something beefier Smile

Formation flying soon? Might have a squadron of these soon (you listening Chris M? Smile)

Thanks for posting the video and comments. Second flight was better, did some knife edge and spins, but again the landing was off. I'll upload the video when I have a chance.

Yes you are right Claudio she doesn't like muddy/soggy grass for an instant stop and the wind certainly was pushing it off the runway. It’s not a glider and will tip stall at any loss of air speed. Must be landed with reasonable speed and power all the way home.

Ok first thing guys don't use the small short clevises that came with the plane. They are weak and too short to lock the horns in, any little pressure and they pop out, even with a tube/ring. I changed them all.
I also coated/brushed the firewall and all the balsa under the cowl with thin CA to toughen it up (read this on RC groups).

I used a 3542 1000kV motor (Aeolian branded). Fit perfectly. 40A FMS ESC I have from my B25. Prop was 11X5 and nanotech 4S 2200mAh pushed all the way forward to get the CG right. Lots of Expo 60%+ on all to tame it down.
Flies well on half throttle hardly used full power in both flights. Should get 6-8miniuts out of the 4S 2200mAh easily.

I think with the smaller motors (480), use a bigger prop 12x6 and a heavier 3S or would be better on 4S.

See you at the field next Saturday for 3 X Sbach air show.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hi Claudio,
Yes I am listening intently, I have copied your power train (10x6, Park 480-850kV & 2200 3S Lipo).
Thinking of upping the prop to 11X6 given the feedback from George and yourself plus the current draw on this setup is only 18Amps.
Will be down this coming Saturday to maiden my girl and the weather forcast is good at the moment.

Chris M

heres hoping a better day with less wind next saturday .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

hope sunday is ok this week, id love to see what rc flying is like Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

I shall be down from 8 am Tommorow Guys, so gates will be open from 8am
Steve Smile

I will be opening up the field at 7 for those coming down to help with the field working bee.
Don't forget your Wippa Snippers

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(16-05-2012, 08:51 PM)~KevJ~ Wrote:  .... id love to see what rc flying is like Smile
Heh, heh, ... yeh mate!

Steve Murray

Anybody with a key opening this morning for a fly whilst the weather is ok

Yes, but I won't get there until about 10:00am sorry John.

Steve Murray

The field looked a bit wet to be driving in this afternoon it may be a lot better tomorrow by the afternoon.

The forcast for tomorrow is fine with moderate Easterly wind of around 20Kmph
I'm guessing that even tho it will blow down the strip from wier end it will probably get a bit lumpy coming over the factories located on the eastern end of the strip and make an approach from over the willows quite interesting. especially as the usable width of the strip has been reduced due to it being fairly wet and soggy.

I might head down tomorrow for a bit of a fly in the morning as long as it's not blowing an absolute gail. A little wind is always fun to fly in. I'll be walking in

Fortune favors the brave !! Smile

I think its a good idea to walk in this weekend, so we dont destroy the entrance.
I will not be flying tomorrow, the wind will be crap.
I will probably go out to PEMAC Sunday.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

The Weather Forecast appears to favour Sunday rather than Tommorow, But i will see What it is Like in the morning and will Post, Possibly if Wind is Gone it will be a Good day. Possibly a Pemac Visit Saturday or Prcac on Sunday if it dries out.

Steve

Dont fancy your chances Steve
Forcast is for morning winds from 30 to 45 k's abating to 20 k's in the afternoon.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Just came from the field strip is usable and Wayne and I had no trouble getting some flying in

A slight correction to your post Jason. After my first turbulent flight I decided to call it quits for flying again today & exercised the whipper snipper for the second time. When Gazz turned up for a flight I stopped my Whippett activities & had another flight. Should have trusted my first instincts. The unsettling turbulence was much higher than my first flight & I was coming in very early. Final turn for a left to right landing had the wind push me further left of the strip than expected & the turbulence rising from the trees saw the need for more stick moves than I could handle & it was swallowed by the trees...big ooops & more damage than I am happy with.
Gazz's Trojan landing prompted his saying "nothing that a bit of epoxy wont fix", but put paid to the need for a second battery & we both called it quits for the day.

Sorry to hear that Wayne and Gazz, The breeze did end up picking up a bit more later on
My last flight this morning wasn't that much fun, the landing was OK but the take off was pretty scary Smile It allays seems to be more turbulent when the wind blows along the strip

She'll be right mate if ya can't handle the heat, stay out of the sauna, or so they say.
I will be flying at McCoy tomorrow if the weather is ok. I will post in the morning.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I will be at Mcoy bright and early if Weather is on our side.

Hopefully Maidening my Old Man's Glider on 5s Wink

Steve Smile

"if ya can't handle the heat, stay out of the sauna" was my initial thoughts when I temporarily decided to not have a second flight yesterday. Unfortunately I entered the sauna again & got fried. Am not overly perturbed by the crash, and my turning up today is as per another saying "if you fall of the horse, get straight back up & ride again"
Thread Closed