Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I would say today is a perfect RnR day.....Rest and Repair.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Willy's forecast has not changed, which only proves his accuracy failure. How can it only be 90% chance of rain while it is has been raining for over an hour. Strip was only partially usable on Thursday and will be worserer now.
Also with fresh, over 30km winds on the way, I am in agreeance with Chris & give flying a miss. Hey poetry again, maybe I should/could practice that today to pass the time.

Rain has stopped, field will be soggy all over, current wind 22kph gusting to 35kph. #@&* I think our flying weekend is f#$*&ed

Was down at the field for an hour or so for some Heli practice this morning, despite the conditions as I was in the area anyway (had to wait half hour for the drizzle to stop - I could see on the rain radar that the rain was clearing). It was definitely cold and a bit windy - Heli practice was a case of 'try to keep it in control and watch out for the wind gusts'. I had 5 batteries charged anyway so I considered it good flying in not so ideal conditions practice. I did come down mid week for a dozen flights which was good but haven't run into any club members in weeks. Hopefully we'll get some good weekend conditions soon.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Good on you John, at least someone enjoyed the freshly mowed strip. Playing Russian Roulette with the wind & rain is not my idea of fun. Am watching the wind guage tree out my lounge room window & it is shaking it's head saying "don't do it". I listen to it more than Willy

Just charged some batteries & heading down to the field about 8.30ish. Wind is forecast to pick up tio 25 k's later this morning, but that is gusts & is still manageable

Am at the field & news is not good. We must have had more rain overnight which has flooded more of the field. Strip is greatly narrowed & shortened. Still flyable as long as you stick to the dry areas which won't be easy if the wind picks up as predicted.

Last Sunday turned out to be pretty good for flying. There was the additional bonus of seeing Mick in his natural repose Smile

Steve Murray

Gunna smack a few golf balls around the driving range first thing in the morning, but still hoping to open the gates 8.30ish & prepare the field for flying.

Sorry guys, this morning's driving range was practice for tomorrow's golf, so I won't be opening up in the morning. If you are planning to be at the field early to open up, please post on this thread to assist those without our gate code.

Tomorrow's forecast is not looking the best with 50% chance of showers but may be only coastal.
At best for me I will be a late arrival at the fiels as I have to pick up my new spectacles. However depending on a miraculous recovery from another dose of the dreaded llurgy, I may not be flying at all tomorrow. If anyone intends opening early, please post your intentions here.

As long as its not actually raining first thing in the morning, I'll be opening at around 08:45am.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Thanks for that John, we only have 50ish members yet we consistantly get over 400 views of this thread from Friday night to Saturday morning. That equates to a minimum of 350 people without the entry combo.
I remember my days as a visitor & pre-combination lock days, sitting & waiting at the gate for somebody to arrive & open the field. The reason I actively post on this thread is to prevent others from experiencing the same.

Wayne - the great majority of those thread hits will be search-bots not actual human users, but your point is well made. Thanks for the reminder!

Steve Murray

It was good to get down to the field today and watch a couple planes flying and crashing :-).
it was a pretty good turn out compared to other times i have been down in the past. i am hoping i will be able to come down more often which will hopefully eventually turn into a membership.

We had a great time out at Pitt Town this afternoon, practicing for pylon tomorrow.
Looks like there will be a few takers for Trojan/foam warbird class, which is good to see!!

Hopefully the weather will be kinder than forcast and get some racing in !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Where is the pylon racing happening today? wouldn't mind watching.

(01-06-2014, 09:46 AM)TopGun Wrote:  Where is the pylon racing happening today? wouldn't mind watching.

Sorry I didn't see your post until now
All the pylon racing dates can be found at nswpylon.org
On the Callander page

The next race day is the Willows cup June 15 at our field
And after that it's Nowra

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(01-06-2014, 05:42 PM)secant0give Wrote:  
(01-06-2014, 09:46 AM)TopGun Wrote:  Where is the pylon racing happening today? wouldn't mind watching.

Sorry I didn't see your post until now
All the pylon racing dates can be found at nswpylon.org
On the Callander page

The next race day is the Willows cup June 15 at our field
And after that it's Nowra

That's of thanks for the response. i will have a look thanks for letting me know will have a lookThumbup

Today had 100% chance of 15 - 25mm of rain which has not (yet) eventuated. Parramatta received 7mm rain according to the news. 55% chance of 1-5 mm showers are again forecast for tomorrow. Worth a chance of a fly tomorrow, but I am still confined to barracks with a lurgy & I wont be flying tomorrow. If you are intending opening early tomorrow, please post your intentions here.

I won't be there early but I might get down that way after lunch for a while

Rain pretty much everywhere around Sydney this morning, looking at the rain radar ( and out the window). Today was supposed to be the more promising day of the weekend. As well as some rain, wind forecast for tomorrow.
Ah well, time look at projects indoors.

John Jelovic

I bet the runway is soggy too...

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Yep it's pretty soggy
this is what it looked like this afternoon

The news is almost all good, have just come from the field after a brief light shower of rain. Apart from the usual pooling at the Grace end of the strip, the runway is nice & firm and closely mowed (dont know when last mowed though). Forecast for tomorrow is FINE weather with 5-7km winds. Aperfect day for flying. So get your batteries off storage charge, wipe the dust & cobwebs off the planes and get yourself to the field. I am sufficiently recovered from 3 weeks of virus & will be opening up about 8.00 - 8.30 tomorrow. See you there.

I will probably be at the field 8.30 - 9.00 to open today. Dew and fresh grass clippings made a mess of the planes early yesterday, so no need to open too early.

I will be at the field tomorrow with the membership renewal form for paid members to sign. I will take a plane or 2 to fly but if Willy is at all accurate, I wont be there too long (winds 25kph will make flying uncomfortable from 10am onwards expected to increase to over 40kph by midday & nearly 50kph by 3pm).

It's going to be windy in Nowra !!
I'll be trying out the new practice plane after doing some mods to it today
It's going to be interesting !!

I attended the field today and although was windy, did not appear to meet the forecast's intensity and saw speedie's plane in the air. Several guys had quad & milti rotor copters in the air. I had my Eratix & PA Addiction in the car but left them there on the side of caution. Gusty conditions are herd enough to fly in, let alone when still not fully recovered from my virus.
Winds are set to top 30kph from 9am tomorrow, but I will be at the field 8.30am again to take signatures for renewals.

Hi everyone. Oh for the gentle winds of Parramatta. Took my Beaufort meter out the front of the house at Maitland half an hour ago and it went off the scale (over 55kph). Looked it up on Willyweather real time and it was 65kph and been like that or worse all night.

The COSMOA club up here is excellent and I'm getting to know a few people. The strip is sooooo long. To land, you can get into the glide path and use motor power control to keep it just right. Fabulous.

I do miss you all though.

Have fun.
Thread Closed