Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Hey Chris,

What was the condition of the field this morning ?

The weather looks like it is improving over the next few days....

thanks,

James.

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

Field is good but soggy in parts, still plenty of room though.

Grass has not been mowed for 2 weeks but my Trojan handled it okay, tail draggers may be a problem.

I will be there by 9am tomorrow.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

I piked out of going this morning when I saw the wind picking up & the weather gloomy. I'm off this week & next so I might go tomorrow as the forecast looks better.
I've been setting up my new DX9 Radio and I'm keen to try it out. I forgot how time consuming it is to set up all your models again from scratch. The model copy function comes in handy for similar models. I haven't even started on the Helis. They'll require swash levelling etc again. It's all fun though and a great way to learn your new Radio when you set up so many models. I've never set up the Trainer function before & this Radio has a wireless one - bound it to my DX7 and seems pretty straight forward - instructor can even take back control by simply moving either Joystick.
I like the voice alerts too, for timer countdown, switch positions and various warnings.
Plenty of switches but amazing how quickly you can use them up. Most are 3 position and fully assignable.
At least I can fly again now. Was thinking of upgrading to this Radio and was nudged along when I discovered a few weeks ago that the RF from my DX7 is a bit suspect when I lost connection with my Plane 3 times during a flight, at close range (100-200m), using a full range AR400 Spektrum receiver. Borrowing a Taranis immediately afterwards produced a perfect flight with the same plane.
Sorry... Waffling on the wrong thread!

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

That's Nice John, No More Glithes with tx Issues Now Smile
I Did Suspect your Dx7 tx to possible have an signal issue, its not unusal for wires to break off inside, had my dx7 aileron stick signal wire come off many years ago.
so i gave the stick wires all a solder check and extra glue.
tx connections are snap on type connecter.

Keen to get a fly in myself this week and test out my new Quad.
Possibly Tommorow.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Might see you today then Steve.
Just having coffee/breakfast, then I'll head down to the field - there around 10.
Re: DX7 - I remember you telling me about the difference between US & EU (European) versions, my DX7 being EU and only transmitting 100mW compared to the US Version's 200mW. From what I read online, not changeable without swapping the RF board, but in any case should still have maybe 1Km range even with EU & possibly 1.3Km with the US Version (double the power gives 30-40% more range) - so my DX7 has an issue when only getting 100-200m!
Pleasantly surprised when I looked at the rear of my new DX9 to read the label saying"US Version, not for use in Europe"!

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

I will be at the field to open up tomorrow by 9.30-10. If anyone is going earlier to open up, please post.

Ill be there around 8am

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Weather Being Good, Im Planning To be Down At the Field Tomorrow Morning for some R&R Flying and maybe get an Expert in Quads to Give My New Quad a Maiden

Biggrin Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Well good news and bad news.

The field is no longer underwater. There is the usual large puddles opposite the flight box, end of the runway on the driveway side and towards the Grace end of the field. Whilst I didn't walk down to the strip I would also suggest that the strip itself is wet underfoot.
I have turned around the "NO DRIVING PAST THIS POINT" sign.
I for one will give it a miss this weekend and hope it dries out over the next 5 days so it can be mowed. Watch this space.

Sign has been turned back around.

Drive in is now allowed.

Excellent !!

Hope it dries out enough soon so that I can put some more fill in the big hole at the grace end of the main strip.

Did much of what I put there get washed away ?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Looking outside this morning, sunny and calm, but I guess it's safe to assume the field would be a swamp at the moment with all the rain we've had over the past few days. Forecast still says 80% chance of showers today. Hopefully this tropical weather will settle down eventually.

John Jelovic

Time for some building

Only trouble is deciding which project to continue with Smile

I went to the field yesterday. End of runway near driveway was waterlogged. Field didn't look to bad.
I am popping down today for a closer look.

I don't know which one of you guys pissed off the Sun God, but will you please apologise.....sheesh

I just found out our garage fills with a few inches of water in heavy rain, if you guys copped what we just copped, Lake McCoy will be overflowing. SMFC wont be flooded, but continuing rain for the next week will put paid to flying.

I think it's time to repair the Skipper.

I vaguely recall RC planes, we used to do it some time in the past.
Hopefully some calm sunny skies sometime soon.

John Jelovic

(29-01-2016, 02:30 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  I just found out our garage fills with a few inches of water in heavy rain, if you guys copped what we just copped, Lake McCoy will be overflowing. SMFC wont be flooded, but continuing rain for the next week will put paid to flying.

I tell you some people are living the lifestyle, with there you own indoor pool. Biggrin

Just keep the garage door closed and top it up and just add chlorine and i can send yo a pool pump in the mail Leet

(29-01-2016, 10:59 PM)samste Wrote:  
(29-01-2016, 02:30 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  I just found out our garage fills with a few inches of water in heavy rain, if you guys copped what we just copped, Lake McCoy will be overflowing. SMFC wont be flooded, but continuing rain for the next week will put paid to flying.

I tell you some people are living the lifestyle, with there you own indoor pool. Biggrin

Just keep the garage door closed and top it up and just add chlorine and i can send yo a pool pump in the mail Leet

Wise words from Monte Python, "always look on the bright side of life"

Hi Wayne
Will bring my floaties next time I head down to Nowra pylon day!!

Which by the way is coming up soon.

Might catch you down there that weekend we usually fly Saterday and Sunday
Saterday is usually a normal flying day with a few trim and practice flights and heaps of fun flying!,

I urge anyone to come along and have go pylon it's great fun and the field at Nowra is very nice. It's got a paved strip believe it or not!!

Or Come along fun fly and practice on Satterday and watch and cheer on the Parramatta boys racing on Sunday. Get involved have a go at being a timing official and get a close up view of the racing from inside the judges cage.

Classes raced are EF1 Rare bears (HK fun fighters any of these planes are eligible to race in the class)
Q500 46 size glo engine planes and F400 seriously fast IC powered machines

Post up on the 2016 Air Racing thread if your interested or have any questions

I feel your watery pain Fisho.
With Toongabbies 30mm worth of rain in 10 mins yesterday making the news and also referenced on the BOM severe weather alerts flooding was inevitable.
I ended up with a lovely water feature down my lounge room wall as my gutters gave up the fight Mad
As an aside I suspect Lake McCoy could well be the McCoy Sea now. Anyone been down for a sail yet?
Cheers
Rob B

Driven by sheer desperation, I actually did visit the field early Sunday morning. (31st Jan)

With hope in my heart and a spring in my step, I set off from Gladesville to Toongabbie. I was hoping that the 12 inches of rain that fell in Gladesville on Saturday afternoon might have somehow been confined to that area, and not reached as far as Toongabbie. Oh, and did I mention that I set off in heavy mist as well.

How wrong I was. The field was completely flooded, and there had been a substantial amount of water all over the field, as all the grass was flattened and there was debris strewn over the whole area. At least the mist had somewhat cleared.

I parked back up at the main gate and just walked down.

Photos attached.

James

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

great Frown ... thanks James

I would expect this fine weather will severely help it dry out. I will pop down tomorrow and post the results. Rain for the week is supposed to be only 1-5 mm, so hopefully it won't affect us too much. Mind you it was supposed to be rain the last 2 days and my plants have had more water Smile

Has anyone seen the condition of the field in the past few days ? There was a LOT of water on the field last Sunday (31st Jan..) and I was wondering if it has drained. I haven't seen any Field Maintenance logs.

Is there any hope for this coming weekend ?

I, and 3 others, had a fly on Wednesday, before Thursdays rain. I am not sure if the boys got down to mow today but the field was in "reasonable" condition, considering the weather.

As it is supposed to be fine tomorrow and maybe Sunday I will be opened up by about 8.30am.

Wind conditions are about 30kmph Saturday but decreasing to gentle on Sunday, keeping my fingers crossed.

Well it's raining at Northmead. I won't be opening up, might try later in the day otherwise tomorrow if it doesn't improve.

I was down there for a little while and the road in was quite dry enough
What could be mowed of the strip was really nice and i got a couple of flights in before the little ones got tired of the idea and about then the breeze came up as well

Tomorrow looks good

I went there around 9.15 am and Had a couple of flights and crashes as usual...
was expecting some one to show up but no one came...got bored and packed up
Thread Closed