Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Was at the field today & our field is still none too pretty. A couple of vehicles drove down to the strip before retreating up the slope to more solid ground up top. Visible tyre tracks indicate damage to be further avoided, so be kind to our field's preservation & walk-in only again tomorrow guys. It may be inconvenient but will save us effort & money to further fill the ruts with crushed rubble.

Wayne, I'm sure that members wouldn't be driving in, especially after all the recent notifications on the forum. The last few times I was there during the recent poor weather, I witnessed people driving in but they weren't members so you'd have to assume that they were ignorant of the fact that there were cars parked up top, or they had no idea.

Perhaps it was a couple of visitors ? Maybe the best way to combat this in the future is to have a sign up at the top like they do at sporting grounds (God knows I've been to enough of these with kids sports). A sign that uses a combo lock so the first person to get there on a weekend can make a call and adjust the sign as required ? Saves anyone from doubt, and it means that when there's vehicle tracks, we can be 100% sure that it's not a member.

Could the Council be lobbied for such a sign? They would presumably have plenty of these, considering the number of sporting grounds within the Parramatta City Council's reach?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(30-05-2015, 06:43 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Was at the field today & our field is still none too pretty. A couple of vehicles drove down to the strip before retreating up the slope to more solid ground up top. Visible tyre tracks indicate damage to be further avoided, so be kind to our field's preservation & walk-in only again tomorrow guys. It may be inconvenient but will save us effort & money to further fill the ruts with crushed rubble.

Hi Wayne,

I don't mean to correct you about yesterday morning, (Saturday 30th May) but no one drove down to the strip before you arrived.
I arrived first, opened the gate and parked up the top. I walked all my gear in. Then Rob arrived and parked at the top as well. So neither of us drove down. We then saw you arrive. I came up and spoke to you as you arrived and offered to carry your gear. You could have asked Rob or myself then if anyone had driven in.

So no one drove on the strip yesterday morning (Sat 30th May). (I'm happy to take photos of my tyres in future...) unless they drove in and out prior to 7.20am

However, I do agree, that I too noticed fresh tyre tracks. But it was not Rob or myself Saturday morning. It must have been someone Thursday or Friday.

Regards,

James.

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

Am happy to be corrected and appreciate everybody's efforts to preserve our field & entry ramp. Tyre tracks when I walked in as well as my hand stop signal & signalling a retreat to an incoming vehicle (whilst I was there, no naming or shaming) caused my comment.
Apologies to anybody I have inadvertently offended, no photo's necessary.

(31-05-2015, 02:44 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Am happy to be corrected and appreciate everybody's efforts to preserve our field & entry ramp. Tyre tracks when I walked in as well as my hand stop signal & signalling a retreat to an incoming vehicle (whilst I was there, no naming or shaming) caused my comment.
Apologies to anybody I have inadvertently offended, no photo's necessary.

Thanks Wayne.

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

Hi guys. A suggestion may be?, The person who opens the gate park their car across the driveway to event anybody from driving down visitor or even member that hasn’t read the post.

Regards, Bob.

probably not a good idea to park across the drive way just in case there's an emergency

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

So a sign is probably the best option then?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I think Wayne needs a sign like the Lollipop people at School Kids Crossings. He looks great in an orange vest. Smile

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Feeling a bit fatigued tonight, will see how I feel in the morning as to whether I will go to the field or not. Will leave it up to other members to open up & set the field up for flying. I may turn up later in the day but wont be bringing any planes again.

I'll be there very early, as I have to leave at 10-ish

James and I are here. The bike tracks on the strip are terrible but we have both flown retract-equipped planes this morning. We did our best to flatten the imprints on the strip with a carefully orchestrated rain dance, but it will need a couple of loads of soil I would think.

hi everyone I am back after a long break from flying. i have been on a contract for work that has taken about 16hrs a day 7 days a week since November of my time.
Good news is I will be available to enjoy my hobby again as my contract is about to expire so I will be at the field on the 20/6/15 I will be bringing the bbq so I was thinking brunch about 1030-1100 please post If you think you will be there so I can make sure I bring enough food for all look forward to seeing you all for a good catch up and good day of flying
new email is craig@artilux.com.au
new ph no. 0421747112

Welcome back Craig. I should be able to make it on the 20th.
At that sort of workload, hopefully you made sh&%loads of money (to spend on more planes).

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Hi Craig. welcome back I certainly will be there for the barbecue have missed your barbecue is very much.

Regards Bob.

Short of further disruptive medical episodes, I will be at the field as usual.

hope all is ok Wayne look forward to catching up soon

Good to hear from you Craig Smile

I'll certainly do my best to be there on the 20th, weather and children permitting.

me too should be good!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Unfortunately I will be away the next 2 weekends, Adelaide and Port Macquarie, and will miss out on the return of Craig. You were/are an integral part of the Club mate and could always be counted on for advice. Look forward to catching up eventually.

Looks like the return of Craig might have to be delayed. Took a trip to the field about 12.30 today & could not walk down to the field to see how firm the strip & spectator areas were because I forgot my waders.

So if the running water clears overnight & you can avoid the forecast showers tomorrow, twill be walk in only for the diehards.
I will be at home getting ready for Monday's Darwin trip.

Thanks Wayne !!

I thought as much going by the amount of rain we've had this week

Have a great trip up north, see you when you get back mate

Was at the field late this morning & Andy was there with his son and flew a skipper & a flying wing. Both without wheels & handled the sloppy field. There was surface water on 100% of the field and is unlikely to dry out by tomorrow.
So if you intend to fly tomorrow, walk in only & wear waterproof boots, you will need them. Belly landers are likely the only planes to handle the conditions. More favourable conditions can be found on the computer with Phoenix.

Thanks Wayne. I was just about to load up the car then thought to check the forum. Glad I did. Thanks for the update.

No problems Chris am more than happy to provide this service. I will be in Darwin next weekend and hope someone else does the honours of a filed condition report & perhaps save the long distance travellers a wasted trip.

Went down to the field today (Wednesday) to check on it's condition. The field itself is not to bad, apart from the old tyre tracks, and the grass itself has not grown much.
There is water in the usual spot opposite the flight box. The strip is still dampish and hopefully this rain will hold off. Weekend is looking good weather wise.
Between the bottom of the ramp and where we park our cars, there is a wet patch about 3-4 mtrs long. I would suggest that whoever is there early Saturday make an assessment as to whether we can drive in. I will try and be at the field around 8.

Dropped in at the field late this morning for a look-see & condition report. Driveway in at the bottom is plenty wet but should tolerate driving in this weekend. Once past the bottom of the hill please keep to the left & away from the trees as it is quite soft there. Further down is ok at our normal parking area.
The strip is useable but very soggy around the recently filled hole opposite the pilot box & our normal lake McCoy will swallow wheels to the right of the cross strip. Remainder of strip is ok but soggy on the far side.
I will be at the field for a fly in the morning about 8.00 - 8.30 to set cones & wind sock up, but I will not be able to carry the pilot box to set it up.
Please be reminded only paid up members will be insured to fly.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen frost in Sydney, but it's frosty at the field this morning. Keep to the left when driving in and park further along today, as part of the parking area is still a little swampy.

Given the icy mornings, I wont be opening & setting up until 8.30ish tomorrow (unless somebody beats me to it). Again please be mindful of the soft soil beside the trees on your right when driving in. Further up where we normally park has more solid ground.

Ive recieved a few of these from PCC they asked me to pass them round the members
Please make a note of the phone number add it to your phone contacts and report the buggers at every opportunity
Your help is much appriciated

Thread Closed