Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

I normally do Ems and get it usually in one week if i'm in a hurry or when ordering alot but you are paying for it or International air if no rush for it and usually takes two weeks sometimes a bit longer but i never actually checked the packaging for its travel history.
I will next Time

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hey Steve
Ive just ordered another Funjet. I want to make it low Kv big prop to keep the noise down, but still would like mega speed. Will still run 4S unless you recommend otherwise?
Which motor and prop do you suggest and what motor mount do I need to attach said beastie to said Funjet?
Thanks mate
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

This was the Setup i had in the Stryker i Was Flying At Prcac that ended up hitting the side of the power Tower, which ran on 3s or 4s with
80 amp speedy.

Motor was 1100kv 3542 or similar

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=2139

Running 10x10 APC prop, or 11x10 Prop

You will need to custom make a motor mount using

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=4687

And some underside rectangle piece of aluminum for support of screws going through from motor mount to underside

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(28-07-2011, 10:40 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Omg!
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default...D=PKZU2280

Wow, now that's interesting Smile
A little brushless setup on 2S is better than the other UM power-trains! ... plus, plenty of scope for uprating too ...

Steve Murray

Hi Edward or FYi Anyone else Interested

They just dont do Stryker stuff, they do alot of other stuff as well
Here is the Link, Re buying Stryker stuff cheap overseas at the moment
http://stores.ebay.com.au/HopMeUp/_i.html?_nkw=stryker&submit=Search&_sid=179995618

Heres what it Cost me, Not bad Heh

Quote:Description Unit price Qty Amount
ParkZone PKZ1267 Bare Fuselage F27-C/F27C/F-27C Stryker
Item Number 390296722655 $18.77 USD 1 $18.77 USD
ParkZone PKZ1218 Clevis & Pushrod/2 Stryker F27-B F27-C
Item Number 390270625753 $2.49 USD 1 $2.49 USD
PARKZONE PKZ4213 COMPLETE HATCH SET F27C F27-C F-27C
Item Number 390254798271 $7.87 USD 1 $7.87 USD
ParkZone PKZ1220 Vertical Fins(2) F27/F-27C/F-27C New
Item Number 270627768336 $5.87 USD 1 $5.87 USD
Subtotal $35.00 USD
Shipping and handling $44.85 USD
Insurance - not offered ----
Total $79.85 USD
Payment $79.85 USD

Payment sent to customerservice@hopmeup.com
From amount $76.35 AUD
To amount $79.85 USD
Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 1.04584 US Dollars

Steve Smile

P.S
My Stryker ready to go again with new motor fitted this one is a 3542 1450kv
the one fitted was a 3536 1450kv
So it will be interesting to see how this one handles.

Steve Smile

Hi guy's

re: dolly for skyfun

After several modifications, I have finally got the dolly to work

The main change has been angle of attack of the skyfun, I have found that it works best when the model is sitting in a slight downward angle, this keeps the model on the dolly, also i put a magnet on the nose of the skyfun and another on the dolly, because of the position of the two main slots the balance point is very close to the CoG hence the magnets.
Raised the main support pylons about 1 inch ( better prop clearance as a bonus)

Just hold a bit of UP during taxi to speed then full UP till she lifts off, ease off till speed is obtained.

The tendency to climb has been cured ( idjot had CoG to far forwards) so elevons were to high/up at high speed

Cheers TBBW

Sue, but can you LAND on it? Wink

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

With All this Talk of The Parkzone T28 Trojan Flying Characteristics so much better without Wheels.
I thought This Afternoon when i got home to spend a couple of hours Doing something about it.
Still keeping to the Use of wheels for landing and Take off and everything else stock, Heres My Mod.
Tail dragger With Retracts

Steve Smile

Looks pretty smart Steve... but you are still carrying that weight, I am interested in your thoughts on the difference in the flight characteristics.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(20-08-2011, 10:27 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Looks pretty smart Steve... but you are still carrying that weight, I am interested in your thoughts on the difference in the flight characteristics.
Gazz

The weight won't be noticeable as i weighed what i took off and put on
The Three wheels including metal wheel Legs Weighed 75 Grams
The Two Retracts including wheels Weighed 90 Grams
Approx Weight of Foam Removed was Replaced with the Addition of two New plastic Threaded Bolts to secure Main Wing On Securely which you may notice just above Retract Wheels.
I haven't removed front nose wheel arm and rod to servo yet so i Guess that would be another 8 grams

My Main Concern was getting the Retracts as close to the Front as Possible to avoid nose Tipping on Take offs and Landings.
Which would make it Suck Totally.
Fingers Crossed its Enough as i cannot go any Further.

Hoping It will Fly Nicely with the Stock Motor as there will be no Wheel Drag In Flight.

I do Have a 1050 Kv Motor which is a lot lighter that will Suit T28, Replacing the Stock 960kv heavy Motor but still using Stock T28 Prop If i have an Issue of nose Tipping Down on Take offs and landings and need to lose some extra nose weight.
But Then ill Probably Need to Adjust Lipo To Get Cg Right Again.

Looking Forward To Giving It a Test Flight To See If I got It Right or Not.

Steve SmileSmile

Nice work Steve! ... and done pretty quickly too. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the changes to flight characteristics.

Steve Murray

Model flight has just released a new motor for the Trojan that is a lot lighter than the original, that has the same power specs but is a lot smaller. Didnt weight it but it is considerably smaller than the lump I took out. I know because I just put one in my Trojan and it is the goods.... for a stocky that is.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gazz - have you got a link to that motor you can paste in here?

Steve Murray

Got a quick Flight in Early Yesterday.
Flight Characteristics excellent
Take offs Easy and nice.
Landings Found that even with the nicest of landings the plane will nosed over on slowing down on Grass even with full elevator up.
Though i Didn't adjust the Cog as with the weight i removed and refitted , it was shifted forward and Plane is nose Heavy alot so i need to give it a try with the lipo back a bit. ( need to cut under hatch side to slide lipo back, so hatch will fit back on)

Really need to get a high class speed micro sd card for hd cam, any links welcomed.

Link for Retracts

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...pair_.html

p.s Team one after extra time and penalty shoot out, hair pulling stuff with many post hits.

Abra ka frigin dabra
http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/4...46-64.html
There you go mate

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gazz.
So that motor is the replacement? - which is lighter and smaller than the original?... (Just making sure I haven't got things mixed up).
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Yep. Thats the motor I just ordered and put in mine.
I thought they had sent me the wrong motor when I opened the box, because it was so much smaller than the original. The link to the motor under the Troan spares has been removed. This motor is found under Aircraft motors and has a different number to the old one.The specs on the box confirmed it was the right one and you have seen the performance of my Trojan. The little sucker goes off like a brides nightie.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Nice video Steve,
They are the same retracts I have put in my Mustang.
You did a great job with the fitting of them.
P51 wing must be a little bit thiner as I almost came
right through the wing fitting mine.
Haven't flight tested mine yet due to weather but I have them as close
as I could get to the leading edge. I have also fitted a non scale stearable tailwheel
as I had it lying around doing nothing....Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Just did a Test Flight with lipo Back a Bit and increased up elevator movment to help when touch down nose overs on slow down .
A major improvement, Sweet.
But i guess the field at Prcac is alot more bumpier so will see how it fairs there.

Steve Smile

Gary Here is Link http://www.leaderhobby.com/index.asp

Stryker, Delta Wing Take Off Pad, Works a Treat.

Tested Today "SWEET"

Steve Smile

Jason hopefully will upload some Footage as well of it in Action Thxs

(29-10-2011, 03:19 PM)samste Wrote:  Stryker, Delta Wing Take Off Pad, Works a Treat.

Tested Today "SWEET"

Steve Smile

Jason hopefully will upload some Footage as well of it in Action Thxs

Very Nifty mate!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Nice work Steve - looks like the hand is working properly again, and no more repeat performances planned eh? Smile
I guess the conduits are detachable for storage and transport?

Steve Murray

Hey Steve
Can you chase up another couple of conduits that are twice as long so I can launch my Skyfun,
just kidding mate. It is a wizzard bit of kit, well done.
If Kieran learns to stand on the end of it during launch, he too will be off into the deep blue yonder without any hiccups.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(29-10-2011, 06:58 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Hey Steve
Can you chase up another couple of conduits that are twice as long so I can launch my Skyfun,
just kidding mate. It is a wizzard bit of kit, well done.
If Kieran learns to stand on the end of it during launch, he too will be off into the deep blue yonder without any hiccups.

Funny you mention that thats why i left the ends open on conduits, so i can make an extension to it with an extra 2 more metres with a internal coupler to join it so there is no hump at join and a end of the extended conduit a bend down to ground support.

So you guys flying with high speed less thrust setups can use it as well.

Though i Really think a 6 inch prop setup should take off fine from the current setup, 5 inch prop may have a problem.

Keen to give it a whirl at Prcac others can try it too with there setup's as the Hard surface at Area 51 is less forgiving.

Steve

Steve

You are dead right there mate.
If the Skyfun does not generate enough speed off the ramp it could end in tears.
I run a 5x5 on my skyfun, the little sucker gose like stink but it is very slow off the mark.

On a different subject, I would appreciate your advice on a project I am just starting.
I am building a Skyfun twin rig (Yes mate thats right 2 engines)
I have emailed Peter Pine about prop recommendations and he has been very helpful.
I am going to modify the vertical stabilisers to give prop clearance and mount the motors on a carbon fibre plate just inside both fins and am covering the whole airframe if ultra light glass with Cabots urathane. I will of course be replacing the Elevons with stifferned balsa units and adding an extra 2 x4mm carbon fibre spars to the airframe.
I will be running twin Scorpion 2221-8's on 4S. I wanted to run counter rotating props but there is nothing available.
I think twin Graupner 6x5 will be the goods, Im not sure on the maths but with 2 of the suckers the load on the motors should be reduced considerably at higher RPM.
Peter Pine assures me there are a number of similar twin rigs around that run both props spinning in the same rotation and recons torque roll wont be a problem.
Interested in your thoughts and would appreciate your input on my 300kph+ project.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Innovate idea Samste. It worked better than expected. Well done. Who'd have thought an old folding chair and a left over length of $6 electrical conduit would be so useful (??!!). Don't get too fancy or you could drive the cost up over $10.

(29-10-2011, 07:44 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Interested in your thoughts and would appreciate your input on my 300kph+ project.
Gazz

Here is some Info, Remember twin Prop Setup won't necessary goe faster but will definately have a Stack of Thrust

Eg. 4.75 x 5.5e Prop x 2 = 9.5 Inch Prop now thats a bit of Thrust

Top Speed will be the Same as Pitch is Same 5.5 it doesn't double.

If you could get yourself a 4.0 x 6.5 Prop That would Scream

I Running In My Speed Stryker f27 a 9.0 pitch Prop so to help out with Top Speed.

The nearest thing available on the market according to Peter is a 6x6 Graupner speed prop, I figure if I am sharing the aircrafts flight load between 2 drives it wont half the load but it would certainly reduce it. So with that said and with out physically load testing do you think the Scorpions could handle the 6x6 props without overloading, and do you think that will give me the speed or should I be looking at other options. Cant go much bigger that 7" diameter props the tip cross over turbulance would start to create issues.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Its trying to find a balance i guess, bcause if you use a 6x6 speed prop you find that trying to get a high top end speed over 300km/h just wont happen the best you are looking at is 228km/h And that is Running 4s at 2580kv at 61 amps per motor.
But your thrust/punch in the air will be very nice at 12inch.

Gary to Achieve over 300km/h i refer you to an old Thread

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=72&pid=2649#pid2649

My speed pitot tube on my Skyfun clocked 308km/h running 7x7 prop, 1900kv, 6s, 150 amps.

Steve