Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FPV wing raceing!!

Faster than multis and fast taking off as a new form if rc competition

http://www.horizonhobby.com/theory-type-...c-blh03055

Post up if you interested might be able to organise a group buy at a better price

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Jason, there could be a cheaper and more durable alternative and the would be the Hobby King Tek Sumo but I suppose the only thing is that flyers can fit different props, motors, batteries and the like to give them the upper hand in FPV wing racing.
Whereas with Blade Theory, they come pre=assembled and BNF. I'm sure pilots won't be using the SAFE mode that comes with the setup. Just a thought.
I just changed the shipping country to Australia and the price for pre order came up as $309.55

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

I'm not sure that it would work out cheaper because the blade theory comes with camera and VTX and antenna all ready to go. Plus my gut feel is the teksumo probably won't be stiff enough not to flutter at 90mph

Plus it's much more fun to race a single plane type then everyone is using The same gear and it's evenly matched. Close racing is much more fun

Plus price wise we may be able to get a slightly better deal if we do a group buy.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Jason. One of the issues with using FPV/goggles with planes of any description, will be a lot more complicated than flying quads, and an quads with FPV/goggles can all ready be a bit mind blowing into you get used to it however FPV monitors may be the way to go or not?.

I'm not sure Bob I like the idea of the quanum goggles with a single monitor in them.
But I can see no reason not to use a monitor. I've often though of putting a guard that fits up against my face around a large LCD screen and using that. I would have to mount it on a decent tripod but I think it would work well.

Go to Horizon Hobby page on Facebook as they have posted 2 videos of the Blade Theory test flight straight out of the box...

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

OMG
My neighbour came to me and said he might buy the Parrot FPV wing at Harvey Norman that is on sale. He asked a few questions knowing I fly FPV and was only worried about the price. He got the brochure and showed me and I nearly slapped him for even thinking about it, $2399.00. It may be good but give me a break.
My $750 googles, $500 Spektrum, $300 Wing, $450 Receiver, ESC, motor and fpv cam and tx would add up to $2000 and be worlds better than that. Is it a typo?
I think we will order 2 Theorys and 2 filters as the tx is powered directly off the battery and thats not good. This utube vid explains it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnpvGjF1T8
I'm still in shock.

Hey members. I want to get some extra fun happening with all our members. Would there be enough interest in holding a flying wing pylon or slalom race where everyone has the same wing and setup to keep it in a level playing field for all?
Thinking of either the HK Bonsai ($36 intl wh out of stock atm, weight 1234g), the original TekSumo kit (going for around $33 int'l WH, weight 1421g), new TekSumo kit ($62 at int'l wh, weight 869g), the Wing Wing Z-84 kit ($42 @ int'l wh, weight 1234g) then you would need a motor, prop, speedy, servos and battery.
Or a Sonic PNF ($76 from int'l wh, weight 3140g)
Your thoughts please on this idea. plus any other ideas you may have to keep the fun going at the field...

Great Idea, let's settle on the model first, will need to read up on the models first.
Alternatively we could pick a cheap wing from banggood, and buy them in bulk for spares Smile

Would you plan this to be an FPV race or line of sight flying ?
FVP would be exciting too, where line of sight will keep the cost down and open the the comp up to include all members, not just those already into FPV flying. So I am thinking we should do a line of sight event for starters ?

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Banggood have 600mm FPV wings for around $23 and in different colours. Plus a little AIO FPV camera from them as well will be ideal.
could have both FPV and line of sight classes...

https://www.banggood.com/Spirit-600mm-Wi...mds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

The Banggood Spirit is suggested as a 2S setup, should we go for something running 3S ? most of us will have 3S batteries spare, less so for 2S .

Also, for the competition part, do we want to prescribe the setup (motor and prop ) to use, so everybody flies the same setup and it comes much more down to pilot skills (and sheer luck, I call it !) ?

Yes of course everyone will/should have an identical setup to even the race up so it then comes down to flying skills and chance, because as we know, flying FPV you don't know where the other racers are and you might well bump into them and with the props at the rear, less likely for much damage as if it was in front...
Another aspect of the racing for example that there are 12 competitors, we would have the race in 2 groups of 6 competitors per race as you would need someone to launch you wing for you and to have the best of say 2 races and the best 3 in each group go into the final race.
If you are looking at using 3s batteries then I would suggest the TekSumo as I run mine with a 1300 3s with a 2210a 1650kv 180w Turnigy Air motor 20amp esc and a 6x5 prop.

I have a spirit 600mm on order, so we can see the build quality. Happy to upscale to a Teksumo if the club race rules require it Smile

Any other takers ?

I have ordered a Spirit myself. My thinking of the smaller model is the size of our field which would suit a race of this size of wing. What motor did you choose, the recommended size? I already have 1806 2200kv motors here that I'll be using with a 5030 prop.
If need be, because I have 2 TekSumos we can compare the 2 within the area in a mock race when our Spirits arrive and are ready to race...

sweet. not planned the motor yet, plan was to equip the spirit with whatever spare components I have lying around. Are you planning of going 2S or 3S on the spirit ?

I have both 2 & 3s batteries. Will have to sus it out when it arrives. I use a 2s 800 for my HK Bonsai which flies well on it as Jason B will atest too.

I am in!!!

Hi the committee and Jason. The quad racing on Sunday I think we should have a bit of a debrief?, There was no problems with the flying but a couple of minor issues we should maybe talk about if you guys gonna be down on the weekend just let me know which day and I’ll come along and we can have a quick discussion.

I just ordered the orange lattice Spirit 600mm

Just got my Spirit wings today.... Bloody quick service from Banggood.....
Orange Streak and Yellow Lattice....

Right, I am going to stalk another post package Smile

Ha ha ha ha...... 8 days for delivery.... Bloody quick for them lol

(01-02-2018, 01:11 PM)Busboy Wrote:  Ha ha ha ha...... 8 days for delivery.... Bloody quick for them lol

Yeah, most of my deliveries from banggood come in between 1-2 weeks.

Reinforcements have arrived ! Smile building time ! Smile

I just got one of these should be a hoot !!

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Micro-S...mds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Kogan has the parrot still on sale: parrot sale

I'll just leave this here.

Just $107.50AUD shipped in PNF form. A $27AUD premium over the frame only kit, while marked down at the moment. Spares are cheap, looks like a great deal.

I saw this and very fast....

thinking of an fpv wing.  big wing or small wing?

Saw this deal 11.11  $57 delivered.  
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Reptile-...src=google&albslr=116803436&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&ds_rl=1258646&albcp=756822904&albag=35305934810&trgt=69043700568&crea=en32907364885&netw=g&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiAt4rfBRBKEiwAC678KRtSQ9yoaAS4rHjCGbfCnXRtWuhT4pRnwKFYvXEdaVJUxeQlmgrIDxoC-DEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any thoughts?

(05-06-2018, 10:30 PM)Is this Sonic one what you got?, disadvantage I see is cant put a gopro/runcam in and an FPV Quadzimodo Wrote:  I'll just leave this here.

Just $107.50AUD shipped in PNF form. A $27AUD premium over the frame only kit, while marked down at the moment. Spares are cheap, looks like a great deal.