Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

250 size Quad copters

Hi guys. Here is a YouTube video of the new RunCam Swift2 OSD also apparently there is also a mini version for small quads as well?.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvB4BkQ8EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZX-lZETQwg

I've got both the Mini and the Swift. Great cameras.

There's also a Micro out now which is useful for indoor quads. Haven't tried that one yet.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Hi guys. Have two questions about graphene batteries, on my big quad I use Multistar 52mah3s 10c works really well, HobbyKing have a*Turnigy Graphene Professional 5200mAh 3S 15C LiPo Pack 107X35X51*
I think it would work on my big quad?, HK is website measurements don’t specify length height or width does anybody know which way they go.

Hi Bob,

Battery specs seems okay, how critical is the battery size ?
The Turnigy pack measures 107mm X 35mm X51mm, according it's description and this link :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-grap...-xt60.html

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Hi, dirk. the specs on my quad battery tray are L125-H35-W50 the other Multistar batteries just fit cannot use Velcro but can squeeze a batteries strap in their and they don't move at all the reason I was putting the post HK used to have the links height and width on the battery specifications but the centre of stop that makes things a bit frustrating and at times trying to research the right battery can be a bit difficult.

For those looking for an FPV quad... this looks like a reasonable deal

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-2...s=category

If you use coupon code at checkout 'LXHH' it comes down to $128 delivered... you just need receiver.

Got a problem with my eachine 250 ccd3. the motors just keep powering and it flips out, cant get off the ground. I am on librepilot for GCS, tried to get to CF or BF but need an FTDI to upgrade it from what I can read.

What I want to know it if this is normal. In the video of the GCS you can see the accelerometers, now this quad is flat props off level on my desk, yet when I power the motor to just idle the accels jump around, I think that then send the the FC nuts powerin up the motors. Can someone tell me on Libre or CF or BF, when you do similar do the accel jump around like that, when the motors are on, in other words is it just vibration, seems way to much to be that??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxPuqj8G5Q&feature=youtu.be

ignore that the engine noise sounds like they go off they dont, it's just the noise cancelling on my webcam cutting the noise down.

I remember Bruce from RCmodeling had the same problem and worked out it was 2 ESC's failed at the same time. He changed them and all was good....
I hope that's a help..

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

have you checked the motor wires to the ESC's ? mine kept breaking off where they are soldered onto the esc.

The incremental speed-up of the motors, props off on the bench, is normal as the PID regulators are trying to reach their setpoint. Without props this won't happen and the I-gain will cause a gradual increase of the motor speed.

Yeah but it happens with props too.... and it flips over violently... ill check esc connections.. but right now thinking to ditch the FC.

Anyone had a chance to do similiar on bench and see the accel readings? Dont think they should be jumping around like that... but i dont know what normal looks like?

I doubt it is the FC, more likely motor or esc related.
are all the motors running in the right direction ? if one is reversed or if the wrong props (CW/CCW) are mounted, you can get this result.

Have you recalibrated the ESC's as well?

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

also, the eachine 250 numbers motors different from what BF / CF do by default.
I am unsure about what was done to the Flight controller,
Under BF you need to run some commands to change the motor numbering.
are the individual motors spinnig correctly with the corresponding FC numbering ?

Yep... did the whole setup again and recal the escs... this weekend im going to start from scratch... including redo any solder that looks suspicious. Also find if a way to factory reset a fc board???

Ever thought of setting it alight, just sayin' Smile

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Just a reminder for members and RC users. CASA have a discussion paper about drone regulations, and an online survey. Even if your not flying quads be aware that any regulations are likely to effect any UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), including you and your plane. There are a number of things being considered, like additional regulation, operator registration/licensing, geo-blocking, training and even review of the current 400ft/5km/30m rule. I think CASA have presented a good discussion paper with the arguments to consider 'for and against' each area, please take the time to read and respond, closes 22nd Sept.

https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regulat.../dp1708os/

Ok... I am seriously considering the 'set alight' suggestion. I've decided to refit this quad with new FC and ESC. This is the first time I've gone to buy these components individually. OMG... the options!! The ESC's are easy <$40 gets me 4x 30A Bl_heli Racestars on Banggood. The FC though is a different story... what do I buy? on HK there is heaps, on BG a heap more... Some run the ESC power through the board I dont like that, but guess I can wire around that, I want cleanflight, dshot, sbus, 6DOF is fine, OSD, keeping the budget under $50... suggestions, what have others bought?

(12-09-2017, 07:15 PM)robbo Wrote:  Ok... I am seriously considering the 'set alight' suggestion. I've decided to refit this quad with new FC and ESC. This is the first time I've gone to buy these components individually. OMG... the options!! The ESC's are easy <$40 gets me 4x 30A Bl_heli Racestars on Banggood. The FC though is a different story... what do I buy? on HK there is heaps, on BG a heap more... Some run the ESC power through the board I dont like that, but guess I can wire around that, I want cleanflight, dshot, sbus, 6DOF is fine, OSD, keeping the budget under $50... suggestions, what have others bought?

If you want an easy build with a simple setup and good performance then buy the KissFC. There are clones out there, so perhaps safest to purchase from Flyduino.

I like the KISS idea... keeping thing simple, though matching kiss esc are expensive... would i just put a chesper blheli dshot esc with it ok.

(12-09-2017, 09:38 PM)robbo Wrote:  I like the KISS idea... keeping thing simple, though matching kiss esc are expensive... would i just put a chesper blheli dshot esc with it ok.

I used kiss escs for about a month back in 2015, not since then though (too many fires and failures with their early 18A escs). You can use whatever escs you want. Dshot compatibility is no problem with current KissFC firmware.

I used these on my eachine, but I did not replace the FC:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/12a-esc-combo.html
The standard Eachine FC will support one-shot, (already a big improvement) but it won't support Dshot. I would suggest replace the ESC's first, upgrade your existing FC to the latest Betaflight to support oneshot and see how that goes. Let me know if you need help reprogramming your FC.

If you want to go all-out, then I think you are getting a cleaner build to build from scratch, rather than upgrading on the eachine 250 frame.

Or buy local, cant recommend Next FPV enough for quad gear.
https://www.nextfpv.com.au/collections/f...controller
Good luck with it.

(12-09-2017, 10:01 PM)Baz Wrote:  Or buy local, cant recommend Next FPV enough for quad gear.
https://www.nextfpv.com.au/collections/f...controller
Good luck with it.

Yeah, I have zero complaints dealing with Rob. He is a legit reseller.

Well just could not help myself.
Been looking to upgrade and wanted a 200mm frame so bought the helix ZX5 package while poking around Next FPV.
https://www.nextfpv.com.au/products/helix-zx5-fpv-frame
Went for the Xnova hyper 2205-2600KV option.
Time for some 6s funSmilie

(13-09-2017, 08:03 PM)Baz Wrote:  Well just could not help myself.
Been looking to upgrade and wanted a 200mm frame so bought the helix ZX5 package while poking around Next FPV.
https://www.nextfpv.com.au/products/helix-zx5-fpv-frame
Went for the Xnova hyper 2205-2600KV option.
Time for some 6s funSmilie

Sweet. Looks pharst!

I feel so inadequate ??

Awesome!!

That should be a HOOT !!

looking forward to seeing it fly!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Question... I am missing something...

Quad flys fine, but when I do a roll I punch throttle, pull back, roll... and the thing falls out of the sky... no rolling... throttle back on level off... saved quad.

It wont roll with throttle zero, I need to keep some throttle... but then my roll becomes a corkscrew, is that normal behavior for quads, my previous 250 racer would still roll with zero throttle (I think)... what am I missing, is there a CF setting somewhere? Or am I imagining on the previous quad I zero'd the throttle??

(29-09-2017, 11:16 AM)robbo Wrote:  Question... I am missing something...

Quad flys fine, but when I do a roll I punch throttle, pull back, roll... and the thing falls out of the sky... no rolling... throttle back on level off... saved quad.

It wont roll with throttle zero, I need to keep some throttle... but then my roll becomes a corkscrew, is that normal behavior for quads, my previous 250 racer would still roll with zero throttle (I think)... what am I missing, is there a CF setting somewhere? Or am I imagining on the previous quad I zero'd the throttle??

When you put the throttle all the way down the props are still spinning, but the FC no longer sends commands to the ESCs. This feature is designed to provide you with a clear indication that the quad is armed (if the props are spinning, then it is armed), however in this state it will not throttle up in reaction to movement (if the quad changes angle it will ignore this and not attempt angle correction. Nor will it react to yaw, pitch or roll inputs from the user if throttle is at minimum position... hence why you are falling out of the sky).

Some pilots, even pro pilots, will fly in this configuration and have simply learnt not to drop the throttle all the way, in doing so maintaining stability in flight and only throttling all the way down upon landing. This is ultimately ideal, because it allows the quad to be controlled most safely (minimum throttle position = minimum power from motors).

Other pilots use a throttle up switch (like we used to use on Nitro planes) in order to keep minimum throttle above the non-reactive state whilst in flight. Perhaps the most common approach to eliminating the non-reactive state at the bottom of the throttle movement is to enable 'air mode'. Note - 'air mode' is awesome (gives more acrobatic flight characteristics) because it has the effect of allowing the motors to reach full output to achieve angle correction regardless of throttle position (whereas normally motor output is limited by throttle position), thus 'air mode' can be more dangerous if you do not understand how it works (if you crash with 'air mode' enabled the quad goes crazy trying to correct angle, even if the throttle is at the minimum position). Landing in 'air mode' will also likely cause the quad to react with full force to ground contact - usually resulting in severe bouncing after landing until disarmed if you do not disable 'air mode' (hence why having it on a switch rather than enabled permanently is such a good idea - you can turn it on after you arm and before you land).

OMG What a day
I went to the FPVR race meeting today with my non responding Helix.
The build went well and really clean but software stopped all progress.
3 really good blokes nutted out the problems, solved them and setup Betaflight and BLHeli.
I've still got tuning to do but HOLY SHEEEEET its good.
I can stay full throttle and just fly, turning whenever, however and it just does it.
Super fast on 4S and a 1350ma lasts 90 secs at full throtle. 95C is only good for 3 secs full throttle or you risk sagging the battery so much you will starve the receiver or F/C.
I love how you can now tune everything on betaflight and your VTX without taking your goggles off. Just land, disarm and yaw right at half throttle with full forward pitch and it goes into edit mode and 7 pages of menu can be altered through the transmitter. VTX power (25,200,500ma) and frequency can be changed in seconds.
A few small issues to sort but tuning should be so much faster now and move my name from on top of OSD Volts, cos when you look twice at the volts the ground has already got you!!!

(29-09-2017, 11:16 AM)robbo Wrote:  Question... I am missing something...

A lot of personnel preference here.
Some people dont like "spin when armed" cos it kicks up loose material. I do like it cos it tells you its armed and you can hear it with goggles on. No need when you have OSD though.
Min throttle I like at 1030-1040 or 3.5% if you have DShot.
Airmode ON as it buys you time if you make a mistake. Where I did 3 rolls I can now do 3.5 and forward pitch to level without really loosing any altitude. Its like it floats when inverted and you have complete control even at zero throttle.
Mine was setup with arming on 1 switch and Airmode on another. You have to turn off Airmode before landing or you will really bounce when the motors just take off.
Quang then said why bother, just run Airmode all the time and disarm when landing, killing Airmode and rendering it safe, which is what I am use too.
Definately some spin at zero throttle and Airmode is my preference.