Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

(24-03-2012, 12:44 PM)paulj Wrote:  Nice Steve I have everything I need now to finsh off 5
new projects. You watch what happens now, the rain will go away
and plenty of sunshine and it will be too good for me to build Smile
Got that many boxes here at home now that I can hardly move in my building room.
Pat is on my back to get things moving.

what are the 5 new projects mate ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(23-03-2012, 10:43 PM)samste Wrote:  
(23-03-2012, 08:14 PM)paulj Wrote:  So steve whats your final amp draw?
On the F100 I'll be using 6s battery just wondering what
esc I will need.

You will need a 100amp Esc in it, I using this From Hobbyking and it Works nice had it fro a long Time when i Ran my High Amp Skyfun Setup as This Sucker Peak Bursts At 150 amps Icon_twisted.
Mine is in a great position as it air cooled in its exposed Position at the rear hatch area just in front of the Edf, So it Comes Down Cool.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...s_ESC.html

I reckon you will be Very Close to 90 amps full throttle.

Heh Paul you won't be Disappointed with This Edf its really really Nice, Don't Tell anyone but I love it so much i bought another one to keep in my box of goodies.

Steve

I really like those K force ESCs I've got a few of the 85A 100A burst ones running on 6S and they are sweet !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

G'day Steve

I too thank you for the esc review/ advice.
I have been considering esc's for the viper and sabre so your post is very timely.
The k forces must be bloody good to survive the samste electrical lunacy.
BTW your 90mm fanned Stryker is waaaaaay cool, nice work there mate.

Cheers
Rob B

Hey Steve
When you mounted the fan on the back of the Stryker did you angle it down and to the right or up and to the left?

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(25-03-2012, 05:39 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Hey Steve
When you mounted the fan on the back of the Stryker did you angle it down and to the right or up and to the left?

Gazz i played around with it on the prototype at different angles, and where Talking millimetres changes on my old frame stryker to i got it Right
and then i measured it exactly so when i fitted it to my new Stryker Setup it was the same.
So its hard to really be sure if its slightly more or less to right/left up/down as the Frame is angle itself where the mount is and design of Frame makes a difference etc.

I think you need to adjust it for each frame Type Gazz, I know what Ya Thinking, Skyfun Funjet edf setup.
I do have an old battered Frame in roof from my front prop setup failure that i could possibly test it out on one day

(25-03-2012, 09:33 AM)robair Wrote:  G'day Steve

I too thank you for the esc review/ advice.
I have been considering esc's for the viper and sabre so your post is very timely.
The k forces must be bloody good to survive the samste electrical lunacy.
BTW your 90mm fanned Stryker is waaaaaay cool, nice work there mate.

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks Rob, Had a lot of Fun with It Today at the Blacktown Fly in, Speed Passes and Boomerangs, Sounds Good Too.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Pretty sure asymmetrical thrust lines are not required for EDF's.

Probably Right Kieran, But did Find Though when i First put the Edf On and i had it butt end high it just wanted to climb and had to put in lots of elevator to adjust several times till i changed its angle just right with elevator in its neutral position. I,m sure cog, weight will play a part too.

I'll be honest i tend to do the Trial Error Flight Tests and bench test power setups etc to i get things right Rather than using Theory and Knowlodge calculations.

Barkyard Builder i am

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Well definitely chalk up one for backyard building, I want me a F27CS90mm!

You guys are no help. I guess I will work it out for myself, but I think that axial thrust shoud be on the money!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

If you're sending canted thrust down (what should be a straight) thrust tube, you're wasting energy

I'd put it as close to dead in line with the axis of the model as you can. or at least parrellel to it if your mounting it up higher.

You can allways adjust it a bit later if you find you need to use trim, to get it to fly straight, but I'll bet, London to a brick, you won't have to.

Let us know how you go with it Gazz

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(24-03-2012, 01:29 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  
(24-03-2012, 12:44 PM)paulj Wrote:  Nice Steve I have everything I need now to finsh off 5
new projects. You watch what happens now, the rain will go away
and plenty of sunshine and it will be too good for me to build Smile
Got that many boxes here at home now that I can hardly move in my building room.
Pat is on my back to get things moving.

what are the 5 new projects mate ?

well, the ones i know of:
1: 90mm jet teng l39
2: 90mm jet teng bae hawk
3: 70mm composite f16
4: modified airbus a380
5: modified boeing 737-800 .. something like that
6: he just got delivery for another 90mm jet the other day which might be top secret so i wont let slip
umm.. let me think...
oh yes...
7: falcon 120 thats half built and about to get a reworking..
8: fpv predator with all the fpv gear etc waiting for him..
9: even kieren has a jet around there for him to build..
(which by the way is not on because hes my master builder! :P )

so five my arse...

oh yeah and if he tells you its cause i keep dropping stuff around to him to build for me and that he's busy dropping my kids to school and picking them up, and that he had more time before he retired, ... hes lying ... trust me .... :P

hahaha

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

HAHAHA.
Thanks Kev.
After yesterday's performance I've also got the Spree(victim of a mid air) and
an Extra 300 (dumb thumbs) to rebuild.
Also, you forgot the Tucano that needs the Horizontal Stab reworked, and
I came very close last night to ordering another aircraft but changed my mind after
my financial advisor(wife) threatened to kill me. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(26-03-2012, 02:46 PM)paulj Wrote:  HAHAHA.
Thanks Kev.
After yesterday's performance I've also got the Spree(victim of a mid air) and
an Extra 300 (dumb thumbs) to rebuild.
Also, you forgot the Tucano that needs the Horizontal Stab reworked, and
I came very close last night to ordering another aircraft but changed my mind after
my financial advisor(wife) threatened to kill me. Smile

Ahahahahaha . LOL

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Smile hahah bloody hobby !

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

G'day Paul

Too funny mate.
May I suggest a restructure of your domestic business model?
Reassign your financial advisor to assistant financial controller, the controller bit seems to effectively mask the assistant bit.
Under that regime your wife would be the one who actually clicks the "buy" button after you have discussed the benefits of purchase.
You have noooo idea how satisfying it is to see that happen.

Cheers
Rob B

Rob I like the way you think!!
I may just have to do that myself!!
I'm liking the way you think! I wonder if I can get away with that.

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

Funny Rob,
My domestic business model is a bit more complicated than that.
Financial Advisor is also CEO and as such has the casting vote
in the event of a hung board. Smile
Needless to say she exercises that power of veto on just about every
occassion.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

hahahhahaha im in tears! :0

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

(26-03-2012, 09:52 PM)paulj Wrote:  Funny Rob,
My domestic business model is a bit more complicated than that.
Financial Advisor is also CEO and as such has the casting vote
in the event of a hung board. Smile
Needless to say she exercises that power of veto on just about every
occassion.

as a married man , i'm hearin ya . i know your just saying it like it is , everyone else is in denial , thats why we fly planes . hahahahahahah .

Under the heading "Techniques" (thread topic)

You are all doing it wrong. All you say is "Look! I have won another kit from the good folk at PRCAC" ... and hide your financial trail well. If you don't know how to do that, ask your wife.

My lovely wife (I ain't complaining) still thinks my Logo cost somewhere between $200 and $300 and (annoyingly) still refers to it as a "toy" despite me showing the inside cover of the build manual where it clearly says the exact opposite. Oh well. I still think she is winning in the "smuggling expensive things in to the house" competition.

I have to admit I've done my fair share of smuggling and hiding financial trails... with this hobby i'm trying to be a bit more open about it, but i'm sure the old habits will kick in again... jut have to hide the extra money away to pay for things Wink

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

blaaahahahaha . i cant help laughing at the replies in this thread . VERY FUNNY POINT about the wife winning with smuggling expensive things in , i gave up tracking bank accounts years ago ,decided it was much easier not to check the withdrawls and hair care stuff . money coming in and going out , i guess as long as everyone has food and a roof over there head , somewhere for us mere males to fly a plane , blame any error on the weather , receiver , sun, ant in your shoe , all is ok , cause while we're doing that , we're not tagging along shopping for cloths and the peroxide is flowing, amd wives are saving all this money down at the shops . LOL .

WOOOPS , just realised SAMSTE's thread has turned into a money laundering technique thread . SORRY STEVE .

Hey Frank,
I wish I got out of doing the clothes shopping etc, sadly the Mrs doesn't drive yet, so I'm lucky if I get free time to do the flying. Therefore I think I should be allowed to spend more cos I have to do more for and with her that I don't want to do haha
Anyway way way off topic from where this started!

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

(27-03-2012, 05:45 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  WOOOPS , just realised SAMSTE's thread has turned into a money laundering technique thread . SORRY STEVE .

Lol It's been interesting Reading

Steve Smile

Got a Chance to pop In at Pemac Today and Gave the Flycat Funjet a Run with The 10 Blade 70mm Changesun, Very Nice Sound as in quiet and deep, mini Turbine.

Swapped out Speedy to 85amp Turnigy as Timing on Plush 80 seemed out.
62mps, 992 watts on 4s at 16 volts this is Running 3580kv Scorpion Outrunner, 70mm Changesun Edf 10 Blade.

Now Just need to give this setup many flights and see how she go's before doing up a glassed up version with the spare frame i have.

Yes I'm a Changesun Edf fan Biggrin

Steve Smile

Very nice! Hows the performance compared to the old fan?

check out that esc position . love it .

(28-03-2012, 01:29 AM)wingtipper Wrote:  check out that esc position . love it .

Yeah It Literally Cool as in that Position Smile

(27-03-2012, 11:23 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Very nice! Hows the performance compared to the old fan?

I feel Its a little Slower but more Thrust with the extra blades of course, need to do a few more Flights To see speed wise.
The Problem was i Took the Rare Bear Up Yeterday also at Pemac with The Expo at 100% as you mentioned and was doing Full Throttle Circuits and that goes Quick as you know so the edf look tame compared to that Biggrin.
Amazing what more expo can do.

P.s Comments Where, you where the speedsters from Sunday at Blacktown Smile Boomerangs and they loved the Stryker Q vertical lift at the end on landing you Pulled.

Steve