Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Skyartec Skyfun Thread

Hi All

Yes Kev i do too love the Paint Job, Very Envious.
It actually looks really good painted all over, Will have too do that on the next Funjet Frame i setup.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Lookin good Kev, nice job makes me want to build mine!

Very unique looks like something out of the fifties from the movie Grease - with flames - where's John Travolta?

It's GREASE LIGHTNING - ha ha ha Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

New color scheme for Funjet Makeover
Steve Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

thats the final look i guess, it darkened up abit after i put 3 coats of clear polyurethane on it..

i did accidently smudge some black into the yellow on the bottom when i clear coated it which is a bummer as it ruined the effort i went to but anyway i dont think its gonna matter as this is just my fun toy plane i can take in the car with kids and with me when i go away at xmas.. not stressed. it will be good to get her back in the air on saturday tho. Biggrin

i just need to put some velcro on the canopy to hold it down and some wire around the linkages as im worried they will come loose in flight.

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Looks Great Kev.
It's come up nicely.
Just cut some silicone tubing from your aquarium
and slide over the linkages, should do the job.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

The Clear polyurethane gives it a nice shine and it does darken it up a bit but looks great. Smile
I hope i can get down on Sat to see it fly if not will maybe see you Sunday.

Steve Smile

Gave the Funjet a quick remaiden today with new Speedy,
A quick adjustment with aileron and wow she runs so smooth and balanced. Smile

~KevJ~ Wrote:it looks like my funjet will be maidening on saturday,
i just tested the power with a "watts up" meter using the 2700kv "380L" motor , 6x4 TGS prop ,Turnigy 3S 2200mah 30c (40c burst battery) and Turnigy Plush 60 amp esc.

results: 507 watts @ 45.05 amps

ready to rock methinks Icon_twisted

(side note: with TGS 5 x 5 prop = 387 watts @ 35 amps. 380L motor rated at 40 amp continuos current)

i went to re-static test the funjet tonight with my new batteries(4s 3000mah),
i left the 6x4 on at first and i got to about 3/4 throttle and it lurched forward out of my hands and caught an old towel i had it sitting on and the prop ripped it to shreds and the prop adapter spat out and hit the ceiling. it was really unsafe and i was really lucky not to get hurt.. anyways by that time i had to go take kids to touch footy and when i got back it was far to noisy.. planning on testing a couple of props at field 2morro..

result i did get at the 3/4 throttle mark were like 610 watts @ 41.5 amps.. thats very promising compared to the 507 watts @ 45 amps on 3s.. probably will put the amps too high at full throttle but i have a 5x5 prop to try also..
it will be interesting tho to see if the extra power will be enough to handle the massive weight increase in the new batteries, i bought the batteries for my easy sport balsa job which has the same motor as kierens siren and i was impressed at his 4s power but seeing as tho i have them i thought id try and squeeze them in my other planes as i am not one to die wondering Icon_twisted

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Unlikely to make it this weekend, but not far off Smile Its starting to worry me, It weighs a ton!

As close to McLaren colours as I can get

Carbon Fibre Yeah! :mrgreen:

Looks very nice Kieran 8-)

Steve Smile

Heres some interesting stuff For Upgrade From Hobbyking.
May of be interest to skyfun fliers (Hint Con)
http://blog.hobbyking.com/blog/post/2010...grade.aspx

Steve

Hello aviators
It is all your fault... Yes thats right .....Steve, Kev and Kieran
I have been watching you,.... screaming around the sky at Mach 2
It looks like way to much fun
So now I want to play.
With that said. ...
Question 1:
Is the Hobbyking upgrade a worthy project that will fly FAST and RELIABLE or can you recommend a more appropriate upgrade.
Question 2:
Can I buy airframe only or do I have to buy the whole thing.... seems like a waste of motor and ESC.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

hey gary , the fastest option thus far has been steve's scorpion motor, it is the most expensive but easily the best so far,
that being said ive seen the performance of the motor listed in the thread steve posted, that motor hammers on 4s also..
kieran and myself both run another one again which is a higher rated motor capable of running 7" props on 4s its not as fast but has a heap of torque.. steve is really the guru on these planes so hes best to tell you about buying airframes and what not..

when you say you want it to be fast then thats easy .. question is how fast Smile
and what cell count you prefer to use to get your speed.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday all
Gary i may have started the sky fun saga but not the total expert.
I have smoked out many motors from stryker stock motors, to Turnigy hxt's to no name brands , but i found the Scorpion motor setup to be the most reliable and have taken off my retired sky fun setup and fitted to stryker and still going strong.

Scorpion Hk 2221-8 motor rated at 200 deg temp
Turnigy 80 esc
6x4 Master Airscrew Prop
Rhino 2250ma 40c 3s lipo
Metal Gear Servos

Though Kieran and Kev's Setup Is a Good Fast Setup on 4s using the Hobbyking 480l inrunner i think
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=9383&Product_Name=Turnigy_480L_V-Spec_Inrunner_w/_Impeller_2150kv

Scorpion Links
http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/index...oduct_info&cPath=16_46&products_id=975
or
http://www.rcbits.com.au/catalog/20/brushless_motors

Scorpion Hk2221-10 is a less Kv motor for good speed and long air time which i Tested for some time on stryker as well.

Also there is some tricks with Canopy lid hold down as Pictured using pen Lid and end or use of Velcro and Earth magnets.
Also motor mount should be re glued to Airframe as its not strong enough.

Hobbyking are selling Sky funs with std Servos 25amp esc and 1800kv motor which is a slow setup for about $100us delivered.
Though i still have my old contact from when i ordered a dozen from but i think i could still get them for airframe only without servos motor and esc but with motor bracket for about $70us maybe cheaper dependent on order quantity min is 4 the more i get the cheaper it is.

Gary, sit tight, A certain used but good airframe could turn up in the next week or so Wink

(17-06-2010, 08:36 AM)samste Wrote:  Heres some interesting stuff For Upgrade From Hobbyking.
May of be interest to skyfun fliers (Hint Con)
http://blog.hobbyking.com/blog/post/2010...grade.aspx

Steve

Thanks Steve Looks Fast

I Was Thinking Of Upgrading My Fun Get As Well

I Was Thinking A 80A ESC 4200Kv Brushless Moter

3000Mah Lipo 30c 4s.

What Do You Think..

Mirage 2000 EDF Jet
F16 EDF JET
L-39 Albatross EDF JET
SU-47 Twin 50 MM EDF JET
SAAB Sweedish EDF JET
Rafael EDF Jet
182 Cessna Prop
SR-71 Blackbird Twin EDF Jet (Still In Box)
Fun Jet Prop
MIG-15 EDF Jet
F-A18 Hornet Blue Angel EDF Jet
WinkWinkWinkConfusedConfusedConfusedWinkWinkWink
IMAX FS-TH9X Receiver Mode 2
DX6i Receiver Mode 2
2.4Gig

4200kv is up there for a pusher prop.. which 4200kv motor is it, want to make sure its strong enough to at least push a 4x4 prop or more but im not sure thats going to be your best option con, on 4s with a 5 x 5 prop i think thats gonna be close to burning out man.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

(19-06-2010, 10:57 AM)~KevJ~ Wrote:  4200kv is up there for a pusher prop.. which 4200kv motor is it, want to make sure its strong enough to at least push a 4x4 prop or more but im not sure thats going to be your best option con, on 4s with a 5 x 5 prop i think thats gonna be close to burning out man.

Thanks Kev

I Think You're Right
I Might Just Go With A 3200 Kv Motor And A 30 A Esc For Know Then Gradually Bring It Up See How We Go.

See You TomorrowWink

Mirage 2000 EDF Jet
F16 EDF JET
L-39 Albatross EDF JET
SU-47 Twin 50 MM EDF JET
SAAB Sweedish EDF JET
Rafael EDF Jet
182 Cessna Prop
SR-71 Blackbird Twin EDF Jet (Still In Box)
Fun Jet Prop
MIG-15 EDF Jet
F-A18 Hornet Blue Angel EDF Jet
WinkWinkWinkConfusedConfusedConfusedWinkWinkWink
IMAX FS-TH9X Receiver Mode 2
DX6i Receiver Mode 2
2.4Gig

Hi Guys With The Scorpion Motors you have a little program that you can use to see what you can push with lipo and prop to motor.
Showing, temp, amps, speed etc.
I have attached zip of program. A couple posts back i have linked Aussie Sites to Buy From. (Ark Innovations and Rc Bits)
What sold me on Scorpion was that can withstand extreme heat -
Scorpion Power System is pleased to announce the release of our new series of Brushless Outrunner Motors. These motors raise the bar in both quality and performance, and are establishing themselves as the new Gold Standard for model aircraft power! All of the Scorpion Brushless Motors are manufactured from the finest quality components using state of the art CNC machine tools. Every component of the motors are of the highest quality, from the materials used, to the box they ship in. They are designed to provide reliable power for your model aircraft at affordable prices, offering a total performance solution.

Scorpion Motors are designed from the ground up with the best quality components available to provide an excellent value for you, the R/C modeler. We utilize high quality aluminum alloys that are CNC machined and anodized for a fit and finish that is second to none. Unlike other motor manufactures that use off-the-shelf NdFeB magnets with a maximum Curie temperature of 80 to 100 degrees C, our motor magnets are custom manufactured to be able to withstand temperatures of up to 200 degrees C (392 F). The wire we use to wind the stators is rated to 180 degrees C (356 F), so it can take the heat and keep on performing. This all adds up to a motor that can provide you the power you need, without going up in a cloud of smoke if you push it a little too hard.

This Is the Official www site for info etc http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/mo...HK-2221-8/

.zip Scorpion_Calc_v337.zip Size: 1.42 MB  Downloads: 161

A strong Motor Mount Recommended as stock motor mount i have cracked from the torque a couple of times.

A good ESC 80 amp to be safe plus also gives room for swap in out motors and test for Yourself, This is what i use to do all the time down the field swapping smoked out motors till i found what i was looking for.

P.s Kev had some great Pictures at start of this thread but there disappeared ?

P.s The Hobbyking Motor Setup does Look good would be interesting to see how it goes and how hot the motor gets.

Steve Smile

He still does Wink

Hey Steve
Thanks heaps for all the information.
Your a champion, I really do appreciate all your help
The plan it to build a thermonuclear bullet, but Im only a rookie so we will have to wait and see how this project all pans out.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Howdy all
Yo Sky Fun Jet compatriots
Steve suggested upgrading or replacing the standard motor mount as he has had 1 or 2 fail
Does anyone have a part number or website that has a suitable replacment
Thanks

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(14-07-2010, 09:17 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Howdy all
Steve suggested upgrading or replacing the standard motor mount as he has had 1 or 2 fail
Thanks

Existing mount is strong though with the torque of a outrunner i found it stressed alot and fractured, but i guess it depends on the torque of motor and prop your swinging.

Hobbyking has these, i have some if you need.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=9082&Product_Name=Alloy_Gas-to-E_Conversion_Mount_(43/42mm)

or Custom Rc mounts have these which too i have also a spare as i bought two of them for when i rebirth my funjet / new stryker.
These are the cream of the crop strong and should fit on funjet ok
http://www.customrcparts.com/motorMountD...ID=A100005&bannerID=9

Steve Smile

Just chiming in, I'm running easily 800+ watts through my stock mount, the only modifications are slightly beefier screws through to a carbon spreader on the bottom

Quote:gbanger Wrote:
Howdy all
Thanks

Quote:Gbanger Wrote
PS I will buy that spare motor mount off you for the Skyfun. Mine didnt come with a motor mount.

Im A little confused Gary did you get a stock motor mount or are you after a replacement stock mount as pictured below as all kits come with stock mount, I'm sorry if you didn't get one, i do have a spare at home that i can bring down to the field on Saturday no charge if your kit didn't come with one.

Steve Smile

My Skyfun is fitted with the standard mount thanks Steve,
I was going to upgrade prior to construction to avoid the posibility of failue as I have read a few of you guys have had issues with the standard mount, but if you think its a good thing then standard will do me fine, I am glassing the airframe and adding a thin sheet of carbon fibre to the underside of the fusalage so it will be fastened through which should be pretty good.
If you think that a better mount is the way to go then I am happy to fit that straight up.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi Gary

What I will Do is bring Down the different mounts i have for you to look at if you like on Saturday.
If you need Sooner give me a call.

As for mount type well i swapped mine But Kieran, Kev still use Stock Mount and its Fine.
Currently i using a totally different mount on Stryker Home made Right Angle Sheeting, Till I found Afterwords Customrc do a great mount.

Steve Smile

Picture below of my Funjet with Carbon Strip for extra strength to mount with bolts from mount going to.

Steve
I will be flying tomorrow but have to work in the morning and wont get down to the field before 12 at the earliest
Will see you then to discuss engine mounts if you are still there.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Gary you can buy online link below or you you want rc bits is you other aussie dealer links below, i have bought from both via online.

http://www.arkinnovations.com/shop/index...oduct_info&cPath=16_46&products_id=975

http://www.rcbits.com.au/content/scorpio...size-motor

Steve Smile

OK plane construction has commenced.
Carbon fibre and fulalage glassing will commence this week
I have recieved my Scorpion 2221-8 motor (same as Steves) and have ordered an 85 amp ESC that is 40 grams lighter than the Turnigy plus 80. My digital servos are arriving next week.
What size prop should I use?
I have 2 options
1. 3S 2200mAh 30C batteries
2. 4S 2650mAh 35C batteries
I am open to suggestions and would like to hear your thoughts.
Steve, Kieran or Paul chime in at any time and let me now your thoughts. I would like to get this as close as possible to being on the money first time. Seeing that I have the benefit of all your experience.
Thanks guys

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

G,day Gary The Following Setup Is what i used in Skyfun Funjet and Taken Out and Installed In Stryker.

Prop Size Max for This motor Is a 6 x 5 Max
I'm Currently using a 6x4 Sports Prop.
Running 3S 40c Lipo with 50c Burst
Turnigy 80 Amp Esc

Test Results with wattmeter -
3s Lipo 40c 2250ma 50c burst, Using 6x4 Prop, Scorpion 2221-8 Motor, 80 Amp Esc (Mid Timing).
76 Amps ### 820 Watts ### 10.51 Volts Motor Temp I can Hold approx 40 Deg as its Outside and cooled.
Pivot tube Test Done many Times at approx 180kmh Horizontal

(Note Scorpion Calc software i have posted in earlier Threads, Great Tool)
Now Using The Scorpion Calc Software Results for the Above is, in Keeping with The 12.46 Volt setting Inputed into Calc using 6x4 Prop.
72Amps ### 898.4 Watts ### 85 % Effiecency ### 183.7 kmh pitch speed ### Motor Temp 120 Deg
(Pretty Close To mark of wattmeter test)

If You used a 5x5 prop for the above on 3s Lipo -
57 Amps ### 711.6 watts ### 92 % Efficiency ### 256.6 Kmh Pitch Speed ### Motor Temp 87 deg

If You used a 5x5 prop for the above on 4s Lipo It would Run To High as scorpion Calc warns of high Temp Overload -
A 4.7x4.7 Apc prop Results are -
72 Amps ### 1165 watts ### 90 % Effieciency ### 307 Kmh Pitch Speed ### Motor Temp 135 Deg

As For Lipo C rating see you Tube Clips Results Higher The c The More Punch You Will Get as Im using 40 c Lipo and the results show above any less C Rating will give Lower Results.

Also To keep In Mind More Torque with The Larger Prop But Less Top End
I prefer the 6x4 Prop as It Gives Good Speed and Great Verticals.

But I reckon You Need to get several different Size Props and Trial Each one and see what You find The best suited for you Flying Pleasure.
6x4, 5x5, 4.7x4.7 Props

Steve Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2CXGPd7ys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIP4jjPdx18