Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Free Flight

Yes, we're Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club, but I met up with Mickey T out at the NSW FF Scale Championships last weekend and it was way more interesting than I'd expected it would be.

There was quite a variety of flying machines on display, because a couple of other delayed competition events were also rolled into the weekend. There were tiny little nitro and diesel machines, all the way up to .40-sized models.

One of the classes that I didn't know much about was F1C gliders - these things have powerful 2-stroke nitro/glo powered motors and roar to altitude almost vertically for a set number of seconds, before switching off (under the control of a timer) and beginning their endurance pattern. Really very intricate and technical stuff, constructed from high-end materials. Mick sent me some photographs of some assemblies manufactured in the Ukraine, as examples. You can just see the top of the motor head in the first shot, with the glo-plug protruding and there are no mufflers at all. The exhaust is vented out the angled CF tube - these machines absolutely scream ...

I've got to admit, that I completely underestimated this entire field of aeromodelling - it's challenging in that you've got to ensure the configuration and trim is just perfect, before lobbing it whereupon you can do nothing but watch!

Steve Murray

Awesome stuff, That's what some people call real aero-modelling.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi guys,
just thought I'd let you know that one of our local free flight guys has won the World Championships for F1C. Roy Sommersby has competed at every World Champs since about 1979 so, he may know a little bit about what he is doing.

The video is a montage of the F1C flyoff rounds, there were 4 flyoff rounds in total.

The model Roy is holding is known as a "folder", meaning that the wingtips fold inwards and reducing the wingspan to about 1m for the climb portion of the flight, then unfolds to about 2.6m for the glide. You can clearly some folders in action in the video. It's not until you see them in person that you really appreciate how technical that some free flight models have become.

MT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xB1-Tv2ME&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

AWSOME Mick !!Thanks for posting that.

Some great shots in that clip

You've got to get up early in the morning for free flight !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci