Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Solo Flying

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what the Clubs Policy was on Solo Flying, before being granted Bronze Wing Status.

I have been told, rightly or wrongly, that Solo Flying can only be made once Wings were obtained.

There are Clubs around that allow Beginner Pilots Solo Flying once a qualified (???) member has assessed the Pilots Flying ability. Is this the case at our Club?

You must also take into account that on some days the number of Instructors at the field, at one time, is minimal and therefore a new pilot, may over a period of 4-5 hours at the field, only recieve 6-12 minutes, if that. As a newbie I can appreciate that Instructors want to fly themselves, and fully agree. However, at the same time we are forced to go "park flying" just to get some badly needed air time to practice manouevers. This of course poses inherrent risk of interference of people using the parks at the time and of course not being covered by Insurance.

Does the Club ever have "Instructor Days" dedicated to Pre Bronze Wing Pilots, for training Pilots?

Do us newbies get a Flight Book to monitor our progress when being taught by another Instructor whom we have not flown with before?

I am more than happy to be a Member at PRCAC and am very grateful for the help I recieve when asking q's about flying, and my models, and am also happy to take "baby steps" when it comes to flying at McCoy but would appreciate the feedback. Many thanks in advance.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

hi Chris . as a member of the club , not an instructor or committee person . im probably not the right person to reply to this thread . i think your points and questions are a worthy ask though .
the instructors of our club are all very approachable and have a huge interest in flying . trust me , knowing them you are not putting them out asking for assistance .
my advice is dont fly in parks . although heaps are guilty of this and the majority of times nothing will go wrong , at the very least the police just might rock up and throw the book at you .
therefore club flying is highly recommended .
obviously an instructor will assess your progress as they assist you and give yo further advice .
the main thing is they are there for us and love the hobby and flying just as you do . none of our instructors are there to hold you back , but to get you flight safe and worthy so you can enjoy progressing through the hobby .
it's important to remember that we all crash planes , so instructors as all members are very mindfull of this and strive for safety 1st . to prevent accidents and $$$$$$ being taken off your wife to spend on planes . it is difficult and costly to get to a reasonable flying standard as a pilot and something we all endure , but it's all part of the fun .
heres hoping you get lots and lots of flight practice , nothing wrong with that mate .
regarding the questions on solo flying i cannot answer . but i'm sure someone else will soon . as a club we are all there to see us all advance . cheers mate . good luck .

about the baby steps thing .
not everyone goes along at a baby step pace . its not a course . some people progress extremely quickly, others never master the sticks . so its up to the flyer on how that progress goes and the instructor to get them there at any pace required .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Nicely put there Wingtipper!!

Chris Mc
You don't have to have your official Bronze wings to be able to fly solo at our club but you do have to be able to fly to that standard with the plane you intend to fly.

Basically what that means is that an instructor or CAFI should be able see that you can fly your plane safely and get it back on the ground in one peice, that you know and have the necessary skill to stay with in the CASA rules, the MAAA rules and the local club rules. That you have MAAA Insurence and you have a basic idea of how your plane works and how to check if, it's in a safe condition to fly.

We don't have a specific day for flying instruction, were not that formal or that organised Smile
All you have to do is turn up with a plane in flying order and ask anyone of the CAFIs or instructors to take you up for a fly. They never, ever say no unless there is something wrong with your plane or radio, and in that case they'll usually help you fix it if it's something small and are only too happy to take you up for some flying.

There is a list of CAFIs and Instructors I can send you If you reply to the email I just sent, with your return address.
The list is on a section of the forum, but you might not have access to it yet.

If you post a request for one of the instructors or CAFIs to take you up on a buddy lead on this thread. Including which day and time you'll be at the field, someone will definatly reply. All of our instructors and CAFIs are friendly and keen to get new fliers into the air as quickly safely and painlessly as possible.

Just post something like:

"I'll be at McCoy field from around 8:30 am Saturday morning till 1PM If any CAFIs or instructors could please check me out to fly solo or give me a couple of lessons I'd be very much abliged. "

I'll bet you get a reply very shortly !!

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=136&pid=21053#pid21053

Please don't be reserved about asking someone to take you for a flying/training session.

You can also tell who the forum members are that are instructors or CAFIs as it mentions it on their Avitar.

Also check the afore mentioned thread Quite often you'll see Instructors or CAFIs post that they are heading to the field

There is also another sticky called flying this week check or post on this one too

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=67&pid=21030#pid21030

See you at the field !!

Cheers
Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Just thought I should jump in here and clarify one thing!

CAFI's (Club approved flight instructors) are approved by the clubs certified MAAA Instructors to assist new pilots to get air time.

The club has designated these more experienced pilots specifically for that reason, to take the load off the MAAA instructors specifically so that trainees can get more flight time.

CAFI's CANNOT approve trainee pilots to fly unsupervised.

Once a trainee is up to a standard where the CAFI believes they are ready to fly unsupervised they must be sited and approved by a club MAAA instructor before flying on thier own.

Gazz
President PRCAC

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Thanks for that Gazz !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks guys, very much appreciate the feedback and the clarification of Club rules.

Looking forward to becoming a more active member, in the air and on the ground.

Is This The Cris I know That Jet Skis and Flies the Durafly T28 and hasn't been seen for many months, If it is, were have you been Biggrin and re your flying skills when i saw you last was close to solo anyway.
Just that front retrcat was a nuisance that i did a repair for you and its been in my rc bag everytime i gone done to Mcoy.
Check link below -
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=837&pid=19378#pid19378

If its Not the Cris i'm Thinking Of i oppologise.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Sorry Steve, wrong Chris

I'm the newbie with the Cessna 182 1420mm

(13-06-2013, 08:30 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  Sorry Steve, wrong Chris

I'm the newbie with the Cessna 182 1420mm

No worries, Like the guys before posted before me, just ask and we are all more than willing to help out as we are all there to Enjoy the hobby, help each out.
That's what the clubs are about.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanks guys, looking forward to many happy hours at the club.