Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Anyone for EF1 ??

That's a bit of tease isn't it ??

I wonder if the wing is easily removable for transport ??

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I just saw this from world models
http://youtu.be/UcP1nnnyI8w

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

It looks like a really nice machine
Here's a link to the instruction manual
http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/instr...html/E337/

It seems to be a bit deerer than the Invictus but I think it might be a touch lighter, from the Pics it looks like it's got a built up wing, looks like a Dbox up near the LE and not sheeted back past the 1/4 cord mark. Light and strong, You can see the impression of the ribs on the covering.

Does anyone know who imports World Models ??? (TWM)

interesting and differently built. jury's out on that one . as is with the invictus . come boxing day i will start the builds . pics will be posted in the is thread . I'm expecting quick and easy builds , and cant wait to see the performance of the NTM 1300 KV EF1 motor , and YEP ESC .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(24-12-2013, 12:45 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  cant wait to see the performance of the NTM 1300 KV EF1 motor , and YEP ESC .

I'm sure it will be good!!
I really like those NTM motors they run pretty darn hard, when I was looking for a motor for the Dynamite I sifted through quite a few sets of specs and nothing came close to the NTM motor I chose for that air frame

Ok . Here is the build update on the 1st Invictus 1 . covering is quite loose so i reheated the covering . its the bad type . it expands with heat then shrinks as it gets hotter . however medium heat and perseverance ended in a really great shrunk finish .
Once that was out of the way , all the parts are there , the fuselarge is straight as with the stabs , ailerons ( could be better , but ok . ) great structure , built well and no extra glue needed anywhere .
the money in this plane is in the wing , it's simply nicely built .
a few mods needed , the servos recommended are good , but the model is built for bigger servos , i had to modify to fit the smaller servos recommended by the kit .
the wing clamp down i'm not very happy with , it lets the plane down , you have a foam core wing covered by balsa , the covered by shrink wrap , but the wing sits on the fuselarge edges and tahts it . it is aligned by bolts only ( which happened to be very tight tolerance fits with the nuts , so it ended up perfectly aligned as you do the bolts up . THE BAD - there4 are ply retainers that clamp down the wing , you can see them in the pics . as you tighten tho bolts there is no feel on how tight your clamping , so the wing starts to compress , if your not carefull you could easily distort the wing , because of this i fitted some cross reinforcements across the top of the fuselarge to stop the wing distorting on the underside, however there is still a problem with the top clamps .
so a little building extra mods are definately required when building , however when sorted this plane goes together really well . it isnt an easy build , extra tools are required as it has some unique construction steps .
can you see the ALIENS HEAD IN THE FUSE , ( SOMEONES GOT SOME HUMOR) LOL .

INSTRUCTIONS ARENT VERY GOOD AT ALL , you have to use your own experiences with building , dont rely on the catalogue .

finish = superb .
build so far 8 out of 10 .

enjoy the pics .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Nice one Frank!!
The alien's head motif is the signature of the guy who designed it.
And it looks quite nicely designed from the pics. The ailerons are nicely sized and positioned on the wing, which is important for precise handling!! they do look better than the shoestring.

The other thing I like is the cleanness of the airframe. It really does look slippery. The aileron linkages are completely out of the air flow which is much better, drag wise, than how they are arranged on the shoestring. The Invictus fuse looks more slippery than the shoestring too, I like the way that it's built low and flat and the moulded canopy with it's nicely faired shape is the only thing that sticks up.

The other thing I like is the motor mount box that looks robust and solid !!
I'd be very interested to know how much it weighs when it's finished. weight is a big thing because the lighter it is the faster it will accelerate and the faster it will go around the turns too.

EF1s have fairly decent torque reaction swinging an 8x8 prop, so you need to open the throttle extra slowly on take off and let it build speed before opening it all the way, otherwise it will veer off radically to the left. (I'm talking 90 degrees to the left with the shoestring) If you do this in a race not only does it cost you time getting back in the right direction, but you can end up flying to no1 pylon on the wrong side of the course into the on coming traffic, and traffic on the way back there is, if you start in lane 3 or 4.

Please let me know when your going to test fly them I'd love to see them fly !!

thanks for the tips on take off JASE . i have noticed that with all the ef1's of seen take off .
forgot to mention the linkage rod quality , there is zero back lash , really well put together at factory , quite tight feel , strong servos are required .
bought some really nice turnigy digital micro servos for the ailerons , they are the only ones besides the hitech 5085's that dont shudder on the servo tester .
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_...duct=23459

and rudder and elevater
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_...duct=19959

Flying weight = 1.71kg inc battery . without batt = 1.42kg

besides balancing plane it's finished . it is a nightmare to put together and challenges the mind . i had to bend alan keys etc the way i made mine . and the 6210 rx only just fits under the wing . pretty crambed . not much cooling at all , infact racers tip suggests minimal cooling in the instructions , i have set it up as such but may modify after testing i'll add more pics in a minute here .because the servo control rod tubes are pre fitted , you have to place servos accordingly , because they aren't perfectly placed for the servos a lot of manipulating involved this takes more time .also motor mount is too big and needed to be modded , also standoffs required 10mm , everything was a pain in the ass . battery only has storage charge ,even that will require a fitment tray for fixing and ( c of g ) how ever its probably 1.5 :1 thrust at that , taxis very well , will need some speed before lift off , i can confidently taxi it at running speed without any lift at all . .
i'm tired now .

Nice work Frank - get yourself a beer!

Steve Murray

here are the final pics , shes flight ready . !!!!

Looking good Frank!!
Heading to McCoy field today??

Nah mate , working all weekend unfortunately

NTM PROP EF1 Motor peaked @ 67 amps 1034 watts then settled @ around 61 amps 970 watts . in 30 secs it used 370mah .
my impression of the motor is , its more a smooth motor , rather than grunt horse. over 30 seconds motor esc and battery was only just off cold . motor is well balanced from factory , and has no balance resonance issues at any rpm .
batteries are all fitted and velcroed down . c of g placement of battery is perfect on centre . 5mm movement on the battery makes a noticeable difference with C of G , with this plane .
It will be maidened at Pemac tomorrow , wish me luck.. i'm very impressed with the overall package and build design off this plane,including my choices of hardware and surface control movement . . as i said earlier not overly impressed with the way the foam core wing is held down . it should've been glassed covered in the centre for such a design .
hope she flies well , i think with the wing design , G' forces will have to be taken into account when flying at 10 /10ths .

Good luck Frank. Couple tips from the Pogo: for the maiden, use a gentle run-up, keeping it on the ground longer than you think you need to, rotating gently. Be prepared to use a good chunk of right rudder to keep it tracking straight.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

thanks for the tip , will do . I'm wary that its on grass also . but she should be traveling before she lifts off .

MAIDEN FLIGHTS , REPORT ...... INVICTUS !!!

today i flew the maiden flights ( 4) in total . the maiden flight was successful, and went quite well with no hicups and minimal trimming req . take off and landing went very well , as i heeded some advice about airspeed on take off . ( thanks Claudio) .
2nd take off was woefull , as it lifted off and nosed up then torque rolled to the left , i had to lower the nose and hope for the best , just managed to clear the trees at pemac , then flight full speed etc and inverted , the plane would fly level on 3/4 speed but lift on full speed ,and felt twitchy in the air; inverted flight seemed neutrally balanced as it flew level inverted . upon this i concluded that it was slightly tail heavy .
3rd flight changed C of G 5MM further forward, a better take off but still torque rolled to the left , plane was now a smooth flyer , i also reduced the lower dual rates from 60% to 50% for this flight , and it flew better as it was now balanced well and on full throttle flew level , and slightly downward when inverted , twitchyness was now gone , landing was a cinch , just throttle off and touchdown with sink rate very nice .
4th flight i fine trimmed and practiced some circuits at full throttle , plane was very smooth and controllable on quick turns , performed very well without over banking on turn in etc , take off went well as i increased rudder travel as speed increased , at the same time i decreased elevator up whilst speed increased and the plane tracked straight and lifted off at a low angle , got the take off right with minimal torque roll , did some aerobatics and 10 /10ths low flying , the plane was now confident in the air , did a few low slow level flying circuits for touchdown.
one thing i found with the 4 flights on landing with this plane which was a huge bonus as it landed wings level and as soon as it touched down it stayed on the runway and tracked straight until it stopped, not once did i have to flare , get your approach right throttle down and this thing lands itself .
it sounded nice in the air but not wind sheering like the proud bird , indicating low drag . battery comes down pretty hot , esc best of all coolest of all . the motor comes down pretty hot too , only gripe is you've pretty much got to be on the ground inside 3 minutes after take off .it likes high rates on take off and landing , spoilerons not required on grass .
wing held up very well

overall mark 9/10 .

Nice to hear Frank, and a nicely written report, glad it went well.
Sounds like a keeper.....
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Thumbup Good work 'tipper - get yourself a beer!

Steve Murray

Well done mate!!
I'm not surprised at the lipos and motor getting a bit hot
That's how race planes are, designed to go flat chat for just 10 laps
I guess a reasonable time for 10 laps would be 115 seconds after that it's 1/4 throttle putting around waiting to land
I am surprised that the ESC is cool, does say good things about YEP!!
It's the 80A one your using?

Sounds like you got it balanced and set up just right
EF1s are good fun!! I had few flights with my shoestring at the Appin day and had a ball!!
You'll have to bring it down to McCoy and well set up the pylons for some practice
Bring the rare bears too!!
AWSOME!!
I'm feeling inspired now Smile

FOR SURE . those rare bears scale speed are pretty good . yes and i'll need to learn how to fly ef1 style.

Are you working on Sunday ?
have to do some Doppler passes and see how quick it is

No mate i might come out

INVICTUS REPAIRS !!!! . ok these things don't like severe wind , I was landing the other day at PEMAC in pretty turbulent wind , on approach the plane went knife edge , i was able to correct it , but couldn't bring it down too much lift , had to land with down elevator on mid throttle , which was fine except it flared and landed again tipping onto it's nose lightly .
this caused a broken prop and cowel damage along with cowel mounts ( plywood) broken .
investigating the cause !!!! the cowel mounts are glued with horrible glue at factory not strong at all and break at soonest impact . ANYONE WHO PURCHASES ONE NEEDS TO MODIFY THE COWEL MOUNTS WITH BIGGER HOLES FOR FITTING AND STRENGTHEN WITH EPOXY OR THICK ZAP !!!!. THIS WILL ALLOW EASE OF FITMENT WITH FLEXIBILITY IN POSITIONING AND NOT OVERSTRESS THE COWEL WHEN BOLTS ARE TIGHTENED WHICH ASSISTS BREAKS ON NOSE OVER !!!!!.
the other problem was mine , i followed the instruction with the under carraige fitment which set the wheels back to almost neutral balance . turn the undercarraige 180 degrees and you'll have the wheel about 8mm further forward and much less likely to nose over on take off and landing .

anyhow the repairs , a bit of cowel reshaping , fibre glass repair, refit and strengthen mounts , and turn under carriage around 180 degrees .
had to repaint cowel knew i wouldn't achieve colour match so used black gloss to split the colour , i also used black covering to run along the underside of the fuse to make it look a little matching on the underside . so this now gives it the same red appearence along the top and more black along the bottom . here are the pics .
and i'm dropping my score from 9/10 to 8/10 as . flaws are apparent with design and build instructions .

Good stuff looks like it might need the usual painting with west resin in the usual places, landing gear attaching points, motor mount plate /fire wall and where the cowel attaches. All good things to remember whenI get one. Smile The shoe string was similar and needed quite a few little touches like that.

Hey Guys can you help me. Are the HK 8 x 8 APC style props ok to use or should I get genuine APC props

"Fly it like you Stole it"

The rules actually give an APC part number for the prop, It's suposed to be that particular one
but If all you had was HK you'd still be allowed to race it. It wouls be interesting to see how close a copy The HK prop is to the original APC.
I remember someone takling about buying some for practice but I don't remember seeing any in the flesh. I have a spare APC 8X8 if you need one for Pitt Town on the 2nd 3rd of Aug. Your more than welcome to have it and replace it later if your's don't arrive on time.

It should be a good turn out for EF1, I'm looking forward to it. EF1 is very cool to watch 'cause it's so closely matched. Pogo, Shoestring, Invictus, Proud Bird there's nothing between them, It's really quite a nice formular. They are easy planes to fly too, once they are set up propperly they just groove around the course. Wing Tipper and I had a ball last time we got our out for a bit of practice down at McCoy field. It was a Wednesday and we had the field to our selves so we set up the course and had about 6 flights each around the pylons. No problems landing them there either now that the willows are gone.........AWSOME !!......There should be more of it Smile

The trick is setting up the controll surfaces sencibly. You need dual rates, I set my radio up so I can select which ever set of rates I want for rudder aileron and elevator all with the one switch. I set the rudder rates very low in low rates with a decent amount of expo so I don't accidently use rudder when I turn. I also set the elevator so when on low rates so I can give it full elevator at max speed and it doesn't snap or drop a wing or do anything silly. You might find it usefull to weight the outer wing slightly.

Thanks Jason I found a genuine APC 8x8 pro, I've potted the motor, and my 80 amp YEP esc arrived today. I will give it a go tomorrow and report back.
Cheers[/align]

AWSOME !! Sounds like you've got it pretty nicely sorted there Rod !!

The pogo is made for only one aileron servo. But I see the invictus of Franks has 2. I've modified the pogo and fitted 2 aileron servos I have set up spoilerons to help get it down. It just wants to keep on gliding. I haven't tried it yet (I've been a bit crook) but I should get out this weekend to give it a go.