Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

I'll be flying Sunday afternoon.
The weather looks much better.

srl

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam. I am a 45 year old father of three boys. My middle boy, aged 11 has recently saved up and purchased a beginner's RC plane. SO I thought I'd better get interested in it real quick to help / guide him. (Actually, I think now that I want my own one). Although that said, he did a fair bit of internet research himsef and actually impressed me with how much he had learnt on the matter! Additionally he practiced on an iPad game app for RC plane simulator!
Unfortunately on his maiden flight at the local Gooden Reserve this Sunday, he did kindly let his younger brother aged 8, have a go, against my advice and now he has a smashed up plane!
I might need to hit some of your experts up on how I can fix it!!! Poor lad saved up for weeks to get this!
Anyway I hope you are all well and I look forward to coming down for a bit a look at a chat to all the members with their cool toys!

Hi Sam, Do come down to our field, any weekend morning and weather permitting, there should be members out flying that can help out with repair advice.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Hey I am Jason, I've been down to the field 2 or 3 times now. I fly the Armattan Marmoote quads and have 2 wings (Dart, S800)
I did in the paperwork to sign up, but nobody has contacted me regarding payment. What 2 do?

J

G’day Jason,

I’m just about to shoot you a DM. I look forward to catching you down the field soon.

Regards,

Jason - Pres.

G’day Jason,

I can’t send you a private message, I assume due to your user preferences. Could you possibly review your settings and shoot me a message to which I will reply with details for membership.

Thanks matey,

J.

Sorry fixed, im new!

J

G'day all,

New to the world of RC flying, having just become licenced under the new CASA drone regs. Looking to find a safe and friendly place to practice my fling skills on Quads and learn a thing or two from experienced flyers such as yourselves along the way.

Living in Northmead I'm a short drive to the field so hope to make it over there soon, sounds like Saturdays and Sundays are the best bet for new members? Is there much usage mid-week like on a Friday?

I've had a look through the rules and will download a membership form as well.

Cheers,

Brendan

(28-10-2019, 06:35 PM)brendovelo Wrote:  G'day all,

New to the world of RC flying, having just become licenced under the new CASA drone regs. Looking to find a safe and friendly place to practice my fling skills on Quads and learn a thing or two from experienced flyers such as yourselves along the way.

Living in Northmead I'm a short drive to the field so hope to make it over there soon, sounds like Saturdays and Sundays are the best bet for new members? Is there much usage mid-week like on a Friday?

I've had a look through the rules and will download a membership form as well.

Cheers,

Brendan

G’day Brendan,

Good to hear mate. I’m based next to Northmead in North Parramatta, so just a stones throw away also. We’re always keen to welcome new fliers into the fold, and have a fairly simple induction. We like to invite prospective members to come fly with us on several occasions so that we can become familiar and assess flying capabilities. It is also wise for us to ensure you’ve been furnished with relevant information about the designated flying area, relevant procedures and so on. I very much look forward to meeting you. You can provide notice of your intention to visit the field here on the forum, which will improve your odds of finding myself and/or other key committee members there when you attend.

Numbers are highest on fine Saturdays and Sundays between 9am and 1pm, so that’s the best time for prospective members.

Kindest regards,

j.

Hi Guys, 
Has been a very long time since I posted on here. In 2015, after multiple heart attacks & triple heart by-pass surgery, my short term memory suffered and I lost my job, being virtually forced to take early retirement. Margaret (now my wife) & I moved to Worrigee (Nowra) on the South Coast. This medical episode not only affected my short term memory but also my flying ability & subsequently flying became too stressful for me, so I now pass my time travelling & playing golf.
A few days ago Bob Hoswell contacted me by email enquiring about how I am because of the fire disaster in our area. I replied to him but am not sure if he has passed on my comments to the rest of you guys. I must admit that the Forest Rd, Comberton fire (see "fires Near Me" app) was rapidly approaching my property (I live 200m from the forest but 1km from where it became controlled. At the moment my gutter downpipes are plugged & gutters filled with water pre-empting flying embers but am feeling confident we have passed real danger.
I do miss my contact with you guys as I believe I gained some valuable friendships at the club. 
I trust all of you & your families are safe from these Australia wide catastrophic fires.
Cheers & happy new year,
Wayne Magill

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Hi Wayne

Yes we still think of you when visiters turn up to have a look.
Pete and Ron have taken over most of your club welcoming duties.
Can you make it up to our next BBQ when it gets cooler?

srl

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply & BBQ invite. As long as the BBQ is not too late in the day as I don't like playing dodgems with the kangaroos at dusk on the way back to Nowra.
Will be good to see the gang again. Please give me a bit of notice as I don't frequent the forum as much any more.

Cheers Wayne

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

Hi guys,

My name is Ross. I used to build and fly RC gliders 30 years ago. In those days it was launch with a bungee and back then I was living in the country with lots of farmers happy to let us use their fields.

I am now back in Sydney and have just retired so I have bought a floater with an electric motor and am intending to get back into the hobby.

I would love to join you at your flying field whenever it is that this virus goes away.

I have bought a Hobby King AFX Floater and a T16 transmitter.  I have always flown Mode 1 and my new radio has shown up with Mode 2 (of course)
One of my flying mates from 30 years ago is now also back in Sydney (Sutherland) and he has got me started on building an alpha Jet thingy - it is a flat sheet foam plane that is prop driven - the prop is in the middle of the plane. The power to weight ratio exceeds 1!  I dunno how that is guuna go.  I reckon I am going to have to spend some time on a floater before I tackle something with a poer to weight ratio exceeding 1.

Thanks heaps
Ross

(28-03-2020, 10:32 AM)Ross Abraham Wrote:  Hi guys,

My name is Ross. I used to build and fly RC gliders 30 years ago. In those days it was launch with a bungee and back then I was living in the country with lots of farmers happy to let us use their fields.

I am now back in Sydney and have just retired so I have bought a floater with an electric motor and am intending to get back into the hobby.

I would love to join you at your flying field whenever it is that this virus goes away.

I have bought a Hobby King AFX Floater and a T16 transmitter.  I have always flown Mode 1 and my new radio has shown up with Mode 2 (of course)
One of my flying mates from 30 years ago is now also back in Sydney (Sutherland) and he has got me started on building an alpha Jet thingy - it is a flat sheet foam plane that is prop driven - the prop is in the middle of the plane. The power to weight ratio exceeds 1!  I dunno how that is guuna go.  I reckon I am going to have to spend some time on a floater before I tackle something with a poer to weight ratio exceeding 1.

Thanks heaps
Ross

G'day Ross,

Welcome to the forum. The rcgroups.com page dedicated to users of the Jumper T16 can be found here. This is perhaps the best place to start in order to find out how to convert your transmitter from mode 2 to mode 1, if desired. If you can't find the info you are after then join the forum and ask, fellow users are likely to jump at helping steer you in the right direction. If you get no satisfaction let us know, as we have a number of quite technically-minded people who may have already done something similar.

The Hobby King AFX Floater is a perfect starter aircraft to get you back into the hobby. Great choice! It is much like the Bixler I used to get back into fixed wing flying.

YouTube is a great resource for information, and there are some really awesome channels worthy of your time. Here is one such example.

The Alpha Jet sounds interesting. Nothing beats a good DIY build. While a 1:1 thrust ratio was rapid back in the day, the technology in RC electric aircraft has come a really long way in the past decade or so.  This, for example, is what a thrust to weight ratio of ~16:1 looks like.

I look forward to meeting you in the flesh when our field opens up again.

Kindest regards,

Jason B
President - PRCAC

Hi Ross
You are most welcome to come down to the field and bring your gear for a few flights once the current situation is over. Look forward to catching up and getting down there my self

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi PRCAC committees, and folks,

Like many other members, and other hobbies, I started by buying something wishing to fly our first plane asap.
After 2 minutes of flying it at a local oval being our maiden flight it crashed and this continue to keep me going online stores buying spare parts and more stuffs.

My son and i are still keen to fly again, the E-Flite Apprentice, our very first RC plane, is now repaired. We also have a new radio setup as a trainer (Spektrum DX6e and the kit DXe), lost the Spektrum charger somewhere so we need to buy a replacement before we can really fly ...

We went to the field today, but unfortunately it was closed and we found no one.

Just wondered when we could come to visit and to see you guys flying, and obviously if we are welcomed we'd like to fly too before/after becoming an official members?

cheers,

G'Day Eric. Welcome to our forum.You've certainly chosen a good trainer with the Apprentice. I have one and have only crashed twice, once because I hit power lines and the other is when I fitted a FrSky receiver to use my Taranis radio with it and it went a bit crazy for some strange reason, but it's all back together ready for another fly.
Unfortunately due to the Covid-19 pandemic, every RC Club have stopped activities to abide with the lockdown and social distancing laws.
MAAA have also recommended that this be inforced around all Clubs, but as soon as MAAA and State laws allows us to get back to our normal lifestyle, you'll see all of us down there on Saturdays and Sundays.
Our Committee will be having an online meeting this Wednesday to discuss getting back into the air and items from the MAAA meeting.
Keep an eye out on this forum from time to time and if you want to add anything to any of the posts on here, by all means we welcome it.

Regards Todd Hazell

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Hi PRCAC people and all,

Looking to offically join a RC Club and have visited your field previously - everyone looked quite busy so did not want to inturrupt the people there.

Am a very noice and currently flying a Vapor and Champ at a paddock.

Aware you are temp closed, is there a waiting list etc as keen to join given how close you are and seems like a friendly group.

Thanks Todd for the warm welcome.

Just not sure if it is okay to ask this here, since my plane comes with Spektrum batteries, and my first spare is also Spektrum.
I want to know what is/are the best alternative as Spektrum is obviously priciest than the others.

My current ones are 3S 11.1v 3200mA. I am unsure because I am using the Spektrum charger so do I need to mod the connectors?

cheers,

I don't think that there is no question regarding RC modelling that cannot be said in any forum.
I've got Turnigy 4000mha batteries for my Apprentice from Hobby King. They have different connector than the Eflite battery, but I've made a small patch cable with the relivant connectors to use the different battery types.
And very much cheaper to0.

Regards Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Thanks Todd. I just ordered 2 pcs, the version that I ordered come with the Spektrum plug i believe so I am looking forward to them.

cheers,

Another newbie question.

I just put together this E-Flite Turbo Timber 1.5M, everything looks okay and i was able to bind it with the radio.
Just the Ailerons are not centered in their idle/home position, do i need to do a mechanical trim (servo arms adjustments)? I used the radio trim but even I go far to the end its still inbalanced.

I am confused, or maybe be too inexperienced.

Hi Eric,

I would remove the trim from the transmitter. 
Then power on the radio and plane. This will center the servos. 
Remove power and with the servo's centered, get the control surfaces mechanically as flush as possible. 

Hope we get to fly again soon ! 
Cheers,

Hi there, 

I just discovered this club and am amazed there are so many people here. I dabbled in this as a kid, and would really like to have a look at these planes fly. 
Are you guys still meeting during the lockdown? 

Thanks in advance, 
Hugh

(24-05-2020, 11:59 AM)hughg Wrote:  Hi there, 

I just discovered this club and am amazed there are so many people here. I dabbled in this as a kid, and would really like to have a look at these planes fly. 
Are you guys still meeting during the lockdown? 

Thanks in advance, 
Hugh

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if I'm able to come down this weekend? I'm completely new to this hobby and have already purchased a heli so would love to get some advice and help ?

Cheers

Hello hughhg and Pedro, yes there should be flyers down there this weekend (weather permitting). Always check this forum for information if there is anyone coming down to fly as we have flying slpts during the day as we are limited to a maximum of 10 at the moment with the covid restrictions, so we have alotted (I think) 2 hour flying slots during the day.
We welcome you both down to the field and will give you all the expetise we have in helping you both with this wonderful sport and any models you have to fly.

Regards Todd Hazell

Is anyone going to be down at the field tomorrow
Regards Trai

Hi,

Looking to get back into the hobby after 13 years. I started this hobby when I was in Singapore (year 2004) and continued here after we migrate but has to has to quite the hobby when we bought our house at The Ponds. I was a member of Warringah Radio Control Society  last seen on 2209 when I query my MAAA number. I've flown Balsa planes, Foam Planes EPP planes and helicopters. I hope I can join PRCAC soon and start gaining my confidence to stir the radio sticks again.

Cheers,
Carlou

Hi Carlou,

Do come down to the field any Saturday morning (weather permitting)  you will find members there that can help you out to get flying again.

Cheers, 

Dirk.