Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi,
My name is Ian Wilson, and I have dropped in to the field the last couple of weekends and spoken to a few people, who have all been a great help. I bought a Tarannis a few weeks ago, spent two weeks on a sim, and a friend gave me a plane to start flying, (ST Discovery).
I am keep to join and will bring along an application form next visit. I have only really flown the last couple of days on my own and have managed to put 8 battery packs through the plane without incident.
I hope to drop in again this weekend, and if a Mode1 instructor happens to be there, that's great, if not it's not a problem.
Ian

(01-08-2017, 08:59 PM)ianw Wrote:  Hi,
My name is Ian Wilson, and I have dropped in to the field the last couple of weekends and spoken to a few people, who have all been a great help. I bought a Tarannis a few weeks ago, spent two weeks on a sim, and a friend gave me a plane to start flying, (ST Discovery).
I am keep to join and will bring along an application form next visit. I have only really flown the last couple of days on my own and have managed to put 8 battery packs through the plane without incident.
I hope to drop in again this weekend, and if a Mode1 instructor happens to be there, that's great, if not it's not a problem.
Ian

I look forward to meeting you mate. Hope to see you down the field soon.

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum. Glad we could get you set-up and flying.
See you soon at the field !

Cheers,

Dirk.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Hi Ian Welcome

See you at the field !!

Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi - I'm new to the forum.. Looking to join the club with my son Smile

Hi John, Welcome !

Do come down to the field soon, watch the 'flying this weekend' sticky forum topic to see what's happening.

Cheers !

G'day John, Welcome to our forum and Club... Hope to see you down at the field soon.

John, do you have any planes, helis or quads to fly? Or are you after some advice before purchasing?

Regards Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Welcome John!!

See you at the field tomorrow, Hopefully the wether is kind wind wise.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi all I havnt been there in a long time but went down there yesterday and the field looks good no one flying though a few cars were there so i didnt fly will try again later on

There was a few of us there on Sunday from about 9am.

Flying RC is just more than a hobby now. Thumbup

(14-09-2017, 11:11 PM)dfw Wrote:  Hi John, Welcome !

Do come down to the field soon, watch the 'flying this weekend' sticky forum topic to see what's happening.

Cheers !

Thx for that,

Yeah I'll try and make it this weekend :-)

(14-09-2017, 11:21 PM)Busboy Wrote:  G'day John, Welcome to our forum and Club... Hope to see you down at the field soon.

John, do you have any planes, helis or quads to fly? Or are you after some advice before purchasing?

Regards Todd

Hi Todd,

Thx for that.. My son flies both a foam Extra 330 and a quad. I can fly the quad as well.. Should see you at the field on Saturday :-)

All the best,

John

(15-09-2017, 03:01 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Welcome John!!

See you at the field tomorrow, Hopefully the wether is kind wind wise.

Thx for the welcome - yeah should be at the field with my son on Saturday..

All the best,

John

Hi all,

I'm a seasonal pilot looking to join as an affiliated member. I'm currently a member at Hylandfc and was also a member at HMAS but didnt renew membership this year. I fly heli's, wings and multirotors. I now work at Seven Hills so the club is perfect for me.

Quang

Welcome Quang, We fly on weekends weather permitting and on Wednesday where those who have finished their working life come out to play or those who do shift work....
Hope to see you down at the field soon...

Regards Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Thanks Todd. I'll pop out tomorrow if anyone's going be out there.

Looks like a breezy day so bring the quads and we'll put our 2m conduit poles up for some gates to hit/go through.
I'll be there about 10.30 till 12ish.
You ready Dirk.

Welcome, Quang !
As what Baz Said, Saturday looks like a better day for quads.

Sorry Baz, Not likely I make it tomorrow. Sunday is a maybe.

Cheers,

Dirk.

Im planning to make it down...

Hi guys. I have been looking into places to fly my new apprentice s15e and have come across this club. I am hopefully going to be coming by with my son tomorrow to fly our new craft for the first time and will be on the look out for some experienced pilots to give us tips as we are first time pilots and have never flown the plane before.

Hi Wayne
Probably not a good day tomorrow to fly an apprentice. Definitely bring your gear down and get it checked out and things explained. Failsafe needs to be checked. We have instructors that will launch for you, trim the plane on its maiden flight which is very important as the sticks need to be centred with the plane flying straight and level. They then take it nice and high and hand over to you to get a feel. What is your transmitter and do you fly mode 1 or 2(throttle on left or right). The trainer function can be setup with 2 transmitters, 1 instructors and 1 student. Best tip, dont fly on your own, it will end quickly and costly.
You did the right thing contacting a club and we are more than happy to help you get in the air. The hard thing is you have to get it all right or it will be wrong, and thats not fun .
How old is your son?
Hope that makes sense and helps.
Baz.

(29-09-2017, 08:23 PM)Baz Wrote:  Hi Wayne
Probably not a good day tomorrow to fly an apprentice. Definitely bring your gear down and get it checked out and things explained. Failsafe needs to be checked. We have instructors that will launch for you, trim the plane on its maiden flight which is very important as the sticks need to be centred with the plane flying straight and level. They then take it nice and high and hand over to you to get a feel. What is your transmitter and do you fly mode 1 or 2(throttle on left or right). The trainer function can be setup with 2 transmitters, 1 instructors and 1 student. Best tip, dont fly on your own, it will end quickly and costly.
You did the right thing contacting a club and we are more than happy to help you get in the air. The hard thing is you have to get it all right or it will be wrong, and thats not fun .
How old is your son?
Baz.

Thanks for the response Baz, we will probably come by on Sunday then. I am using the base transmitter that comes with the RTF version of the plane and it is in mode 1 (throttle on left). My son is 14 years old.

Cheers guys, sounds like a plan. See you tomorrow.
Unfortunately I'm busy on Sunday so I'll catch you next time Dirk.

Hi Wayne, thanks for contacting the club you are most welcome and we will help you and your son out, to get you safely up flying. An Apprentice is a great plane to start with!

As Baz said if the forecast holds true tomorrow will be too windy to be learning but sunday looks a much better option.

(29-09-2017, 08:44 PM)wmarkman Wrote:  
(29-09-2017, 08:23 PM)Baz Wrote:  Hi Wayne
How old is your son?
Baz.

Thanks for the response Baz, we will probably come by on Sunday then. I am using the base transmitter that comes with the RTF version of the plane and it is in mode 1 (throttle on left). My son is 14 years old.

Hi Wayne,

Could you please double check that the throttle is on the left of the controller for your plane? If so then it is Mode 2.

Regards,

J.

Correct !! Mode 2 has throttle and rudder on the left aileron and elevator on the right

Mode 1 has elevator and rudder on the left and aileron and throttle on the right

We have experienced pilots who fly either way.

Hey guys we turned up at the field today and couldn't see anyone. We managed to get a couple of flights and had only 1 minor mishap on landing. Do many people come on Sundays?

(01-10-2017, 10:21 AM)wmarkman Wrote:  Hey guys we turned up at the field today and couldn't see anyone. We managed to get a couple of flights and had only 1 minor mishap on landing. Do many people come on Sundays?

We got there at 11 today. About 4 flyers...Good day

(01-10-2017, 03:09 PM)Rossy Wrote:  
(01-10-2017, 10:21 AM)wmarkman Wrote:  Hey guys we turned up at the field today and couldn't see anyone. We managed to get a couple of flights and had only 1 minor mishap on landing. Do many people come on Sundays?

We got there at 11 today. About 4 flyers...Good day

Yeah, it was a bit of a late start with 3 of us turning up and opening the gate at 11am. Seriously fun and properly eventful day though.

An incredible scratch built monster got airborne for the very first time, which thankfully ended up making a nice soft landing at the edge of the reeds after taking to the sky on it's first pass down the runway (I cannot wait to see more of this interesting plane, after it receives a few nessesary tweeks). A mini fpv delta wing was maidened also, flying better than expected until a failed launch prevented further flights. There was a gyrocopter that flew like a dream and really stuck it's landing. An old warplane that flew faithfully but lost it's landing gear to a particularly bumpy bump. An old EDF jet that flew like a needle but broke it's back upon testing the viscosity of dirt. A seemingly confused (or perhaps confusing) micro VTOL delta wing. Packs put through other planes and fpv quads, and a buddy trainer flying lesson issued to a prospective club member. An EFX Racer and mini quad were lost to the wetland serpents (two of the red-bellied black variety soon spotted, deterring attempted retrieval... with a third seen on the way out. Careful near the water). A sky cow was brought in at the end of the day and took flight for twin altitude reconnaissance missions (which, after a quick inspection of the imagery, has already revealed the location of one of the two unretrieved aircraft).

A fair few casualties claimed, some repairs to make and rescues to plan... but a super enjoyable day with relatively fine weather.

I plan to head back down tomorrow mid morning, and hope to see some more fine weather and friendly faces.

Its a shame I couldn't get down there this weekend due to celebrating my daughter's 18th birthday today and helping in packing and moving a friend...

I will be coming to the field next weekend!

(01-10-2017, 09:30 PM)wmarkman Wrote:  I will be coming to the field next weekend!

Saturday only as Quad racing on Sunday.