Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

Don't give yourself too high an expectation of skill level. You will have one of our instructors to assist with flying if you feel you need it and all we ask is for you to fly within our boundaries safely, as safety is of primary importance to us. But most importantly, enjoy yourself in our hobby & our comradeship.
You will be able to fly 4 days with us by signing the visitors book and then you must join our club as your visitor coverage by insurance will expire.
I will be at the field tomorrow from about 8.30 till at least midday and offer my assistance to get you in the air and try my best to make you feel comfortable.
Entry is via Tucks Rd Seven Hills off Powers Rd. As Tucks Rd takes a left bend, go straight ahead & follow the track. Please join the other cars there as there are no standing areas.

Cheers Fisho, I understand safety is paramount. So I can bring my planes with me tomorrow.
Even if I wont fly them, at least you can see them and give them a safety check.

Cheers, see you there. I will do my level best to get you into the air.

Hi All- Please let me introduce myself-
Very new, never flown,

I am based in Eastwood and my family is looking for a club we can join and learn with. Currently we have a Parkzone Radian Glider and a DX6 Tx for equipment. Been building up with some good advice from various LHS. We have also been “Practicing” if you could call it that with Phoenix Simulator at home.
At a suitable stage we want to venture outside and have some guidance. I am wary though that some clubs may have a “Pro competitive” focus and others may have a more laid back “families and new guys welcome” vibe.

Strangely enough, between yourself and the other two closest, you are all within 25 minutes of where we live so which club is neither here nor there.

How does your club work with Kids and Familys and new people joining? Is it crowded or Quiet? Do you fly every Sunday (weather permitting) or twice a month? How does it generally work? What does a “Sunday at the field” look like? Lunch BBQ or everyone split whenever?
I guess, also kinda important for this glider, is there sufficient space? I think it has a 30m+ turning radius. Many people at the club fly gliders or is it all Prop and fan drive focused?
Sorry for all the questions, hoping to be airborne soon,

Kind regards

Mike

Hello Mike, and welcome to our forum!

Our club is very friendly and open - new members and their families are most definitely welcome, and all of us are very willing to help and guide newcomers Smile

Weather permitting, there is always someone at the field on weekends from say 9am to at least 1 or 2pm, and on good days even longer. Congestion is not a problem (we are a relatively small club), and it's all very relaxed and informal. A prospective member can come and fly up to four times without joining, for free. An instructor will assess their ability to fly solo (sounds formal but it's not!), or if necessary take them up on a buddy box (trainer link between two transmitters), to help the student get past the steepest portion of the learning curve.

Given how wet it has been, our field is a little soggy right now, but hopefully the hot weather this coming week will dry things out. Space-wise, it would be fair to say that our flying area is among the smaller, but it is certainly adequate for a Radian. In fact, gliders tend to be rather popular, and most days there will be at least one similar glider in the 2m wingspan class. We also fly warbirds, trainers, jets, 3D planes, multirotors, helicopters... as long as it is electric and not abnormally loud (your Radian will be perfectly fine), it will almost certainly be OK at our club.

Hope to see you and your family at our field one of these weekends!

All the best,
Andre ("disoriented")

Hi Guys,

I'm very interested in getting involved in your club. I have been doing some indoor flying, mostly FF, but also a little bit of RC, so I'm pretty much a beginner. It would be great if I could visit your field and introduce myself. I have a plane that I have just about finished and if possible, I would like to have it checked out and perhaps maidened by an experienced flyer if convenient.

Hi Brendon,

Welcome to our Forum. Our Club normally flies on the weekends, however, with the holidays at the moment some of us will be there tomorrow.
We can certainly help out with your new plane, both checking and a maiden.
You will find that we are probably the most friendliest Club around. We fly RC Planes, Helis and Quad Copters.
If you can't make it tomorrow then the field is normally opened on the weekend by 9am, weather permitting.
Look forward to seeing you down there.

Cheers

Chris McCarthy

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Thanks Chris. I'm looking forward to meting you all.

Brendon

Hi all,

I am hoping to join the club. I have flown mainly slope gliders in the past, and I left the hobby for about 10 years, but am currently getting back into it; definitely a bit rusty. I now have a few slope gliders I fly at Long Reef, and 2 electric parkflyers (a bonsai foam wing, and a wing wing foam wing). I am working on a new model, a mini saturn 3D foamie.
Greg

Hi Greg, you would be most welcome at the Club.

We mainly fly Saturday and Sundays, weather permitting. Normally someone has opened the field by 9am.
We only fly Electric and we have plenty of support at the field should you require any. You can fly up to 4 times before it becomes necessary to be a member due to Insurance reasons.
We look forward to seeing you at the field soon.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Greg,
Hopefully this weather eases and as soon as it does we'll all be down at McCoy park again.
Ironically the very reason we are able to use the land where our field is situated, also stops us from flying there from time to time.

Our field is located in a flood basin so it will be a while, concidering the amount of rain we've just had, before we can drive cars down there again.

But watch the forum people will park up on the street and head down there for a fly with smaller machines. Please feel free to come along have a fly and meet the members. There a great bunch of guys!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Jason and Chris

thanks for these replies, I will plan to visit on Saturday if the weather is clear - and I will be sure to park up on the street.

Greg

I really doubt that there will be flying this weekend. It normally takes a few weeks after a heavy downpour.
I will visit the field later today and post a report.

Watch the flying this weekend thread usually people will post there if they are heading down to the field

Thanks Chris looking forward to hearing about what you find down there.
There will probably be a lot of cans and plastic bottles everywhere Frown

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

here's a challenge then : bring some scrap esc /motors and make the field trash fly ? :-)

Hi Guys, I'm back again.

I know I haven't been back after my first visit, but life got in the way of me getting a chance to get back there. So in the next week or two, I hope I can come and visit again.
I still have my planes with a few more to my collection.

Anyhoo, I'll keep check of the flying thread for next weekend.

Hello all,

New to the forum and keen to join the hobby. I enjoy Heli's and Quads. I can fly small indoor Eflite fixed pitch types, but haven't flown outdoor.
I did excited and bought a thundertiger 50 nitro, and am now looking for a place to learn to fly outdoor.

Cheers,

Shane.A

(21-09-2016, 05:59 PM)Shane.A Wrote:  Hello all,

New to the forum and keen to join the hobby. I enjoy Heli's and Quads. I can fly small indoor Eflite fixed pitch types, but haven't flown outdoor.
I did excited and bought a thundertiger 50 nitro, and am now looking for a place to learn to fly outdoor.

Cheers,

Shane.A

Hi Shane,

A few of us are very keen on helis, and quads are of course always popular. As Rob mentioned in the other thread, we are an electric-only club, and the places that fly nitro are farther out on the peripheries of Sydney.

It's quite a leap from FP micros to a 600-sized CP heli Smile

It can be done of course, and back in the day many people learned on such helis, because there were no intermediate options. Now most would be better off getting to grips with an electric 450 first, before venturing into the far more expensive (and dangerous!) 500+ territory.

Learning to fly and maintain a CP heli is a journey which tends to take years, with a few crashes along the way. Ultimately, progress is all about flight time, and something smaller-but-practical will allow a lot more flying than a big-but-expensive heli which can only be flown on the odd weekend after a long drive.

Is your heli flybarred, or flybar-less (FBL?). We would be happy to help with the setup, and to talk about helis and RC in general Smile

Andre

Hi Andre

The Nitro .50 Heli is flybarred, and so is the electric 360? thunder tiger electric [mini titan].

I have the mini titan to learn on, but am unable to set it up. I think the blades are unbalanced because there is a death wobble when the blades start winding up.
I also think there may be a servo which does not wok well at it exhibits a twitch and its movement appears limited.

I have a reasonable flight sim which I have practiced on, and that helped a great deal.

Welcome Shane, if there's ever a doubt about servos, it's better to swap it out than to be flying with it in and buying more parts because of a crash, but we are always willing to help with advice and check over aircraft for newbies.
As Andre has said we are an Electric only club and fly on both days of the weekend weather permitting and sometimes during the week, so your welcome to pop down and say hello. We are located at the end of Tucks Rd, Powers Rd end Seven Hills. :-)

Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

Hi All!

I'm looking to get a bit more serious into the hobby. I've done a few hundred hours in flight sims and have done a 30min glider flight. A few years back, I spent a few hundred dollars on some RC planes and helis before gyros were in everything and, long story short, basically crashed a couple thousand dollars worth of kit which discouraged me from going further.

Recently, I won a DJI Phantom 3 drone in a competition and it has rekindled my fascination with RC. For airplanes, I have a few cheap trainers from Jaycar (3ch and 4ch), a Flyzone Aircore, a HobbyZone Supercub S (with SAFE). For helis, I have a broken Phoenix 350 CP, a Double Horse 9116 FP, a couple of cheap 3A gyro cyclicals. I have a couple of cheaper drones as well such as a Hubsan X4 and RCTech Hornet.

I'm also greatly interested in cars, with a couple of rock crawlers (AX10, Wraith, HSP Pangolin) and some brushless models (Kyosho Fazer, HPI Cyclone).

At the moment, I've started to heavily get into robotics, prototyping some stuff using Arduinos, Rasbery and Banana Pis, servos and motors, etc.

I usually fly my gear in the local fields in Seven Hills behind Lily's and opposite the RSL (I only live a minute from Riley's Gym), so a dedicated field out in Tucks Rd sounds ideal!

Hope that wasn't too much to read lol

Really looking forward to meeting you guys!!

Marvin Montais

Happy to have you on board Marvin. We mainly fly weekends from about 9 am.

Happy for you to come down and have a chat, bring some gear with you and have a go.

I will be there today from 8.30am.

Marvin, Call me Wink

Hi PRCAC from GMAC,

Just thought I would say Hello from the Clarence Valley. From one that lived 38 years in Sydney.....i don't miss any of it.......my NEAREST traffic lights are an hour's drive from here.....

10 minutes from the flying field. 1.5 klm from the runway to nearest model grabbing tree. And predictable winds. SO GLAD I moved...ThumbupThumbup

I'm not sure if I should Congratulate you or Ban you Wink

Evening all,

I'm Richard. I came past the field a few weeks ago & met Rob and a few other fellows.
I own an RTF Blade 400, bought it second hand about 6 years ago now, and have only just got back into flying it. 3yo boy children and mortgages tend to put plans on hold ...
I'm using the DX6i that came in the box, I've read the "set-up" e-books from a few people in the know and applied their wisdom to my heli; it fly's really gently at the moment ... but that still doesn't stop gravity or the "mong on the box" from interrupting play; when it's too hot outside (as of the last few weeks) I turn on the pheonix sim and try not to crash in the virtual world.
To feed the addiction, the boy child, my wonderful fiance and generally keep a dry roof over our heads, I work as a glorified plumber and also occasionally get out and do some real plumbing.
Like many others I'm also a "wannabe" pilot ... if I ever get the money up, I plan to learn to fly a full size heli ... on day ... maybe ...
Anyway, that's a bit about me. I hope to meet a few more of you soon.

Richard

Welcome Richard! I understand what you mean about life getting in the way of helicopter flying Smile

RC technology has really progressed in the past six years, and if your Blade 400 is of the older flybarred variety you might want to look into a flybarless (FBL) conversion. The heli will be cheaper and easier to fix after a crash because it has fewer moving parts in the head assembly, slightly more efficient because there's less metal and plastic rotating against air resistance, and better behaved in flight according to most pilots' preferences.

A quality FBL unit (the controller) will cost say $200, but there is also the question of whether anyone still sells an FBL head for the Blade 400.

FBL or not, it's all great fun and I look forward to watching your heli fly down at the field!

Andre

Hi Everyone,

Introducing myself, my name is Anton, one of my many online aliases is schr4nz (hence my username) and I'd be interested in joining the RC club as I live relatively close to the field and I have a lot to learn.

Quick summary about me:
Complete newb to flying, recently bought a quad and have experimented in simulators, took it out for its maiden flight today and my mind was blown. I am very interested in learning more about RC from more experienced peeps, would also be interested in learning some fixed-wing in the near future, have previously owned RC cars (oh childhood how I miss thee) but haven't really played with anything RC in awhile until now. I do have a bit of experience with a soldering iron, I like to build/experiment with gadges/toys (the Rasp Pi and Orange Pi come to mind) and I have some experience in coding.

Current kit:
- FlySky i6 (great controller for the price)
- Eachine Wizard x220 (so far has been an awesome little unit)
- Eachine goggles (the only regret I have thus far, should have forked out some more)
- SJCAM4000 HD camera -- really gets some quality, crystal clear footage.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Anton

Hi Anton,

Welcome to our club and the forum. Do come down to the field soon, we usually have a mix of multirotors and fixed wings out on weekends.

Dirk.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

(04-06-2017, 07:21 PM)schr4nz Wrote:  Hi Everyone,

Introducing myself, my name is Anton, one of my many online aliases is schr4nz (hence my username) and I'd be interested in joining the RC club as I live relatively close to the field and I have a lot to learn.

Quick summary about me:
Complete newb to flying, recently bought a quad and have experimented in simulators, took it out for its maiden flight today and my mind was blown. I am very interested in learning more about RC from more experienced peeps, would also be interested in learning some fixed-wing in the near future, have previously owned RC cars (oh childhood how I miss thee) but haven't really played with anything RC in awhile until now. I do have a bit of experience with a soldering iron, I like to build/experiment with gadges/toys (the Rasp Pi and Orange Pi come to mind) and I have some experience in coding.

Current kit:
- FlySky i6 (great controller for the price)
- Eachine Wizard x220 (so far has been an awesome little unit)
- Eachine goggles (the only regret I have thus far, should have forked out some more)
- SJCAM4000 HD camera -- really gets some quality, crystal clear footage.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Anton

Welcome Anton to the forum. Definitely come down the field... good idea to keep an eye on them especially if we get rain as we can get limited access or have to close field occasionally. But watch the forums and you'll know. The Wizard is a nice little quad, one our other newer members had one down the field the other day, very nice... might be my next one.