Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Introduce Yourself Here!

Youch! That crash looks painful. I'm a beginner as well - I've been a member for about 6 weeks and it's a really friendly club. Everyone's been willing to offer advice and help. There's almost always an instructor there on weekends. I just showed up at around 9AM, asked around for an instructor and did that for 4 visits before joining. I received instruction from 6 different instructors which was great because each has their own style and tips to pick up.

I see that you're a Mode 2. Most of the instructors are Mode 1 but some are 2's, so you should be OK. What TX do you have? I'm a 2 and had no problems getting hooked up, so it's probably a non-issue anyway.

I have a Bixler 1.1. There's a few Bixlers in the club - at least 2 or 3 Bixler 2's that I'm aware of, and a couple of 1's. You're in good company.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(06-02-2014, 09:17 AM)thomashouseman Wrote:  Hi All,

New to the hobby here. Got myself a hobbyking bixler 2 at Christmas and had a disastrous first flight. Got a few minutes and a couple of crashes out of it, then this:

[Image: img_20140101_102141-XL.jpg]

ShockShockShock

Have ordered a new body and will assemble in my spare time...

I really need help with the flying thing though. I'm hoping a local club may be able to help me out with that. (I live in Toongabbie).

What's the go with getting to know folks, do I just drop down to the field on any weekend and say hi?

Thanks,

-Thomas.

Hi Thomas, your most welcome to drop by the field, weather permitting there are allways people there on a Satterday or Sunday morning.
You will be able to get in some flying practice with your radio connceted to another radio opperated by an instructor so they can take over as soon as things get hairy and save your machine from ending up like that again.

It takes quite a few sessions to get up to speed with flying RC model airplanes. It's not a simple thing to do but amlost everyone can master it with some effort and some good instruction

See you there !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Welcome Thomas, I concur with the ouch comment, it is never a happy beginning to our hobby. Many advancements have arrived since some of our similarly experienced veterans learnt to fly, foremostly the advantage of simulators. If your transmitter has a buddy lead port, it should be able link up to your computer & fly (and crash) on a simulator program (I use phoenix). A great & much less expensive start to learning stick control. The more hours on the sim the better, but you will also need time in the air. With 2 transmitters & a buddy lead and in the hands of an instructor, your chances of crashing are minimised (cant help mechanical failure).
By all means come to the field for a visit, there are many guys all too willing to pass on their knowledge to help you progress to solo flying.

Thanks all! Sometime in the next few months I'll pop in. Things are a tad busy at home though right now. Looking forward to getting stuck into the hobby though.

T.

Looking to become a new member of your club and would like some assistance :?: consider I am Newbie and need some pro talent pilot to pickup some exp. I already build my yellow plane Pipier,. I live in Blacktown, look a bunch of good ppl with same common interest to play with planes and socialize.

If you are looking for a bunch of friendly social minded fellows willing to pass on some flying experience, then you have come to the right place. As Steve said in response to your "hello" we have had a fair bit of rain during the week and our field doesn't suffer it too well. We have a forecast of morning showers tomorrow, this weekend may not be a goer. Keep an eye out on the "flying this weekend thread" either tonight of tomorrow morning for an indicator.

Hey everyone, my name’s Christian. I’ve been pointed in the direction of this club via the RCGroups forum. Live in Seven Hills and have been flying quads for a couple of years. I just recently ventured into the world of planes and got a Dynam SkyTrainer, so I’m looking for a good club. This one seem perfect, I live 5 mins away from McCoy Park. I will drop down there over the next few weekends (providing this rain goes away) and take a look and introduce myself in person.

G'day Christian, good to see someone else with a Phantom in the hanger.
They're a friendly mob here and you will learn how to keep that plane in the air. I'm in the same position as you, learning how to transition from 4 rotating wings to a couple of stationary ones.

John

G'day Christian. If you find that one stationary wing isn't enough and you want one rotating wing, there are are few of us "strange" types here as well. Smile Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Nice to hear, thanks guys.

Look forward to seeing you guys down at McCoy field
Hopefully the weather improves soon !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

well i am officially a member now yay!!
I am looking for someone to buddy me, i have my own plane Parkzone t-28, i fly mode 2 a DX8.
i don't get to fly as often as i would like as i have two little brats and mommy is a nurse so she quite often works weekends reducing my flying time :-(
If there is any instructors here that would be willing to help me get my wings i would really, really appreciate it a lot.
I would love to get out this weekend if possible, late morning on Saturday (my son has swimming lessons first thing in the morning), or possibly Sunday morning?
Look forward to meeting more members down at the field.
Thanks in advance.

We have quite a few pilots willing & capable of buddying a newby. Only a limited number of mode 2 pilots, but as long as the instructor's mode 1 transmitter is bound to the plane, a mode 2 transmitter can be buddycorded to it successfully. The limitation will arise once you progress to "pass the parcel", in that a mode 1 instructor will have difficulty getting a plane out of trouble if taking over a mode 2 transmitter.

(19-06-2014, 07:57 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  We have quite a few pilots willing & capable of buddying a newby. Only a limited number of mode 2 pilots, but as long as the instructor's mode 1 transmitter is bound to the plane, a mode 2 transmitter can be buddycorded to it successfully. The limitation will arise once you progress to "pass the parcel", in that a mode 1 instructor will have difficulty getting a plane out of trouble if taking over a mode 2 transmitter.

Thank you for the response. i am not familiar with "pass the parcel", i assume this means passing the transmitter between learner & instructor? I had Steve take me up on a few occasions and he was buddied up with mode 1, as you said he bind his transmitter to my plane and that's how we flew. what would be my best bet? should i just come down to the field and hope someone there can buddy me, or do i try organise someone first?
thanks.

Foam fanatic!

Pass the parcel is a commonly used term where there is only 1 transmitter which the learner will pass to the instructor when difficulties arise. This means you will have to have a mode 2 instructor.
No need to organise an instructor first, just turn up at the field & there will be a high chance of an available instructor. Even if none are available, all are willing to chat. There is more than just flying practice to learning to fly, heaps of hints & tips will all come in handy. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they are expected & welcomed.

(19-06-2014, 08:26 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Pass the parcel is a commonly used term where there is only 1 transmitter which the learner will pass to the instructor when difficulties arise. This means you will have to have a mode 2 instructor.
No need to organise an instructor first, just turn up at the field & there will be a high chance of an available instructor. Even if none are available, all are willing to chat. There is more than just flying practice to learning to fly, heaps of hints & tips will all come in handy. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they are expected & welcomed.

this is good to hear, always good to get advice and tips from experienced pilots will certainly be picking some brains.
thank you for your advice, hope to see you down at the field, we have probably met before but i am terrible with names.
thanks again for your help.

Foam fanatic!

Garrick, I'm a mode 2 pilot, and I'll gladly help if you're at the field tomorrow.

It would be good if you can bring a standard minijack (3.5mm male at both ends) audio lead to hook up the radios, if you have one, cos I don't think I can find mine.

Should be an excellent day for flying :)

I will have my buddy lead at the field tomorrow available for a minimal fee Wink

(20-06-2014, 10:13 PM)disoriented Wrote:  Garrick, I'm a mode 2 pilot, and I'll gladly help if you're at the field tomorrow.

It would be good if you can bring a standard minijack (3.5mm male at both ends) audio lead to hook up the radios, if you have one, cos I don't think I can find mine.

Should be an excellent day for flying Smile

Hi Andre that is very generous of you thank you. i wont be able to fly tomorrow as my wife is working tonight but i would really like to come down to the field later morning when i come back from my sons swimming lesson, probably after 11am. It would be really awesome if you were available Sunday morning Smile
i do have 2 cables, yes 2 cables in case 1 is busted (hobbyKing). Thanks again!!

Foam fanatic!

Hi All,

Just registered and I hold the current 'noobie' status down at the field. I'm in the process of joining so I'll be hopefully catching up with most of you in the coming weeks, months and beyond.

Happy flying!

Nathan

Welcome Nathan, I am sure you will find us all a friendly bunch & enjoy the social aspect of our club as well as sharing the adventure of defying gravity & getting a plane up in the air.

Hi Nathan Welcome aboard !!

See you at the field !!

Hi all
Looking to join your RC. club,currently learning to fly 6ch helis and would be great to get any advice/tips and meet a great bunch of people..So I'd love to come down to the air field and check things out and even talk about planes Wink..if it's ok I might see you there when the weather is good...
Regards Chris

Hi Chris, we do have a few heli pilots at our field but our club is mainly fixed wing. I think our ace heli pilot is turning up tomorrow, however we do not have an MAAA heli instructor to give wings tests. We are a very social club & all are willing to help where we can and make people feel welcome.

Hi Wayne nice to hear from you, what do you mean about an MAAA heli instructor to give wings tests?
Do the helicopters and the pilot need to be approved ? Do you guys still have the heli practice area down at the airfield..I would love to come down tomorrow but I'm unwell at the moment so hopefully next weekend..
Regards Chris

Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (MAAA) is the insurance that our club operates from. Under supervision both heli & fixed wing pilots can fly (4 times as a visitor before required to join the club) and fly solo once deemed competent to fly solo by an MAAA instructor. After passing relative tests can be give bronze then gold wings. Achieving Bronze wings you can fly unsupervised at any MAAA club unsupervised as a visitor. Yes we do have the practice area.

(08-08-2014, 10:08 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (MAAA) is the insurance that our club operates from. Under supervision both heli & fixed wing pilots can fly (4 times as a visitor before required to join the club) and fly solo once deemed competent to fly solo by an MAAA instructor. After passing relative tests can be give bronze then gold wings. Achieving Bronze wings you can fly unsupervised at any MAAA club unsupervised as a visitor. Yes we do have the practice area.

Thanks for clearing that up Wayne..ok so I will have to find somewhere to gain my wings to be able to continue to fly at your club..
Thanks regards Chris

Wayne,
I would recommend Vineyard Club (HMAS) for Heli Instructors.

(08-08-2014, 11:42 PM)Chrismat Wrote:  
(08-08-2014, 10:08 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Model Aeronautical Association of Australia (MAAA) is the insurance that our club operates from. Under supervision both heli & fixed wing pilots can fly (4 times as a visitor before required to join the club) and fly solo once deemed competent to fly solo by an MAAA instructor. After passing relative tests can be give bronze then gold wings. Achieving Bronze wings you can fly unsupervised at any MAAA club unsupervised as a visitor. Yes we do have the practice area.

Thanks for clearing that up Wayne..ok so I will have to find somewhere to gain my wings to be able to continue to fly at your club..
Thanks regards Chris
Rainbow 

Albert Moo from Eagle RC Flying Club, Penang, Malaysia. Nice established club you have here which we would like to emulate. Please feel free to drop by our Facebook page. Good day!

https://www.facebook.com/EagleRC?hc_location=timeline

https://www.facebook.com/EagleRC/photos/...52/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Cheers Albert Smile

I lived in Penang from 1973 to 1975 and used to fly Cox control-line models on vacant land in Tanjong Tokong. There wasn't a club in existence at the time, unfortunately. Happy days, but a long time ago.

All the best with your Eagle RC Flying Club!

Steve Murray