Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tx did not work after updating elrs firmware

I hope this has not happened to you....

I received advice by someone on the  Discord elrs site that my edgetx firmware on my RM Tx12v2 ("edgetx-txc12mk2  2.8.0-self build 8/6/2022") was out of date and it would be a good idea to update it, and as well my elrs version, even though everything was performing perfectly well.

I did this edgetx update following the advice on a chapter in the Edgetx user manual
https://edgetx.gitbook.io/edgetx-user-ma...ing-edgetx

I chose the bootloader method.

After updating, in System/info my Edgetx now reads "edgetx-tx12mk2  2.8.5 2023.08.04"
However after updating the tx did not work. Some of my models were missing, but after reflashing the firmware they all appeared. On powering a model, the model appeared to bind, and indeed telemetry worked normally, but none of the controls worked. The surfaces went into full R rudder, full down ele, and an odd aileron position, with no response from the sticks. On the control monitor the sticks did not move but were stuck at extremes.

For 24 hours I pondered and sweated this problem. Then I read a post by Oscarf Liang.
https://oscarliang.com/flash-edgetx/#How...-to-EdgeTX

Oscar says after updating, you must re-calibrate the sticks, he shows how. I had not done this. I never imagined that failure to do so could cause the above problem. But after re-calibration suddenly the sticks worked. I have not checked all special functions etc but it looks like all is now OK.

I have not yet updated my elrs firmware, currently I have elrs module firmware BETAFPV_2400_TX_MICRO_1000mw-3.2.1.bin  in the Tx12.

At FpvFaster at Lidcombe, the Tx12mk2 is $190 for the elrs version; in my case the elrs version was not available and I needed to add a BetaFPV micro elrs module when I purchased the tx in Oct 2022. It has performed flawlessly since.
The Tx12 is the most cost-effective elrs solution, the RM Boxer with elrs is 298$ and the Tx16S is 368$.

Hrmm, I had a similar set of symptoms when I tried 'loan model' with Dirk at the flying field yesterday.

The 'loan' appeared to work properly, Dirk's radio indicated that the connection to my receiver was good and we were getting telemetry, but no response from the sticks.

Possibly because he flies mode 2 and I fly mode 1, the sticks may have been well out of the appropriate range.

On the point of the cheapest ELRS radio, I'm very interested in the Radiomaster pocket when it becomes available here. $110 for a fully featured but smaller 16ch ELRS radio!

(03-09-2023, 11:22 PM)caffeine Wrote:  Hrmm, I had a similar set of symptoms when I tried 'loan model' with Dirk at the flying field yesterday.

The 'loan' appeared to work properly, Dirk's radio indicated that the connection to my receiver was good and we were getting telemetry, but no response from the sticks.

Possibly because he flies mode 2 and I fly mode 1, the sticks may have been well out of the appropriate range.

On the point of the cheapest ELRS radio, I'm very interested in the Radiomaster pocket when it becomes available here. $110 for a fully featured but smaller 16ch ELRS radio!
I have been testing my Tx12 after the edgetx firmware update, everything is now working perfectly with my 5 elrs planes. I find the audio on the tx12 is improved with new soundcard files, it sounds better than on my tx16s, and there are some software and display screen improvements. I am postponing my elrs firmware update to a later date...

If you want to make your own sounds, I created ttsautomate many years ago. I have a new web based version that isn't public yet, with dozens of new high quality voices. Let me know if you would like to try it out.