Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Build Log: QSC Rogallo

Here is the build log for my latest creation, the QSC Rogallo. The original can be found here at the All Things Crash page. The QSC stand for "Quick, Simple, Cheap" and the Rogallo was certainly that. Crash has several detailed Build-a-long videos that were really simple to follow and after viewing I found no problems following. All up, this may not be a bad project for any first time builders.

I purchased from Bunnings the 10mm square stock and one sheet of balsa that I didn't happen to have enough of. I also purchased the Ripstop Nylon from Spotlight and the servo's, ESC and other bits from our mates at HobbyKing. The 5mm square bits for the sail frame were purchased from Hobbies in the Hills. Everything else I had laying around from previous projects.

The whole thing went together very quickly and I probably spent more time waiting for glue to dry and painting it than the actual building! It's a very straight forward and simple build.

Crash has provided some plans in PDF format which are just a case of downloading and printing out. Once printed, the pages are trimmed then taped together. This gives the plans for all the parts. It's then just a matter of cutting out all the pieces and giving them a quick sand and then it's all ready to go.

Building starts with attaching the pylon support to the main stick fuselage. Pretty simple and stright forward. Just make sure everything is square.

Next, the tail is then hinged and glued together. Again, make sure everything is square.

Now the tail skid is made up from some bent piano wire. A hole is drilled in the fuse stick and the wire fitted. Next a bunch of thread is wrapped around it and a few drops of CA glue to hold the whole thing in place.

The tail is then glued to the fuse. Again, make sure everything is square

Next, Main gear is bent up from more piano wire and attached to the model

Finally the fuse is complete ready for painting.

Now the sail frame built up from 4 5mm square hardwood dowels. Nothing fancy, just lined up and glued. Just have to make sure everything is square.

Now the Nylon is cut out. First the template is drawn on the nylon and is test fitted to ensure it is the correct size. It is then cut out and glued to the frame.

Almost Done. Ready for painting and then having the electronics attached.

Painting completed. I was feeling a little patriotic as it was ANZAC day and I'd just watched a few ANZAC day specials on the TV.

Finally, the Receiver, ESC, motor and Servo's are added, things trimmed up and it's all ready for the maiden.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Nice work Mick - certainly one-of-a-kind! Looking forward to seeing the high-speed low passes Wink

Steve Murray

I wanna see it fly inverted...

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Mick You always amaze me with the suff you build from Scatch,.

Nice Work again. Smile

Now thats going to be a slow slow low pass Wink

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(29-04-2013, 04:06 PM)gbanger Wrote:  I wanna see it fly inverted...

The word is apparently they don't do inverted very well, ie not at all....Biggrin

otherwise I think it'll be another nice slow flyer once I get the CG worked out properly. Initial testing seems to show it to be a bit tail heavy. It may even give my First Step a run... or should that be a slow walk... for it's money in the slow fly stakes...

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Looks good and it will certainly be interesting to see it fly.

It might be worthwhile to add battens to hold the sail/wing full on the leading edge.
I think this what they did with some of the early hangliders to stop the leading edge collapsing in a steep dive.

Top stuff I'm keen to see how it goes in the air. I hope you get a nice still day for the test flight!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

fantastic . one thing i'll suggest is get an ultralight receiver .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

hallo is it possible to have the plans to make that rogallo  from allthings crash
the site  is not avaible any more thank you