Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

YAK 55 M FOAMY (HK) + maiden

THE SRL EXTRA 330 FOAMY WENT DOWN TODAY ( FOAMY) .
pushing the boundaries of 3d practice . it was a great model .
thinking of replacing it with one of these ,
any advice on these.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

on 3s of course with a slow fly 10x4.7 or 11x4.7 prop .
better to push the boundaries with these foamies .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I have one of those Aerodrive motors (1050kv) in a rc Pajero. It's a torque monster for certain. Nicely finished, too.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

yes i think i'm switching from ntm prop drives to sk3's . thanks steve .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

I would just build another one the same, Ummm that's just what I'm doing at the moment actually. I picked up a flat pack of SRL last weekend Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

i took the easy way out mate . its all ordered and on the way .

WELL , i really think i'm on a winner here . how can you fault something like this @ $58 ARF + $14 Delivery . brought a nice motor for it @$23 4 hxt 900 servos a prop and a receiver $42 and thats if you buy everything . . i only had to buy the frame and motor , the rest is carryover stuff .
i dont recommend it if your not an intermediate builder , as it simply doesnt fit togather without modifying and compromising , wing spar was 5mm out of whack, undercarraige fits like bald man combing his one hair , and it could do with a little strengthening here and there . the prefab was wrong , obviously there arent quality control checks for fitment etc . wings simpy would not fit without re shaping and modifying .
but if your ok with building its no big deal .
the plane though for what you get is simply inspiring , infact i dont know how they can do em so cheap .
it's not finished yet . but heres a few pics . they speak 1000 words 1096mm wingspan .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

final product . i had to add some spars to the rudder as it was flimsy , not in the pics . the good the bad and the ugly . the GOOD * - is its cheap and relatively nice looking well cut thought out model , plenty of hardware . skimping on nothing .
the BAD *- Design flaws and unmatched parts ,, easy to get around with a little thought ,modification and effort, servo arm extensions included which is a great idea , but 1.6kg load limit hxt 900 servos might struggle
the UGLY * - TAIL HEAVY . this model is designed for a 28-36 diametre motor , so i chose a 28 , to save weight . for this reason i carefully selected a 28-36 motor at 335 watts 35 amps , and it is too light for CG . i could use a 1800mah battery but battery compartment would need to be modded . thats just extra weight anyways , the idea was 1300mah .
HAD TO ADD 30 GRAMS OF LEAD AT THE FRONT TO GET IT WITHIN CORRECT CG LIMITS .
i would have to modify a fair bit to bring motor forward , so it's going up on its maiden to see how it flies with the lead on it .
flying weight 800grams +30grams . total 830 grams/ 30 ounces . Instructions say plane should come in between 690 - 760g , i'm 830g and i built as light as i could .

DATA: 3S 1300MAH , prop- 11x4.7 sf apc , esc hk 35 amp , motor SK3 1040 KV 28-36 3S , FLYING WEIGHT 830G . WING SPAN 1096MM CG 125MM ( 110-130)
32 AMP , 327 WATTS setting at 30 amps 300 watts for 830 grams. APPROX 170 watts/lb. 3d specs suggest 150-200w/lb

Don't worry to much about that C of G shit Frank, its a 3D model isnt it? Tail heavy is good...

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

MAIDEN FLIGHT , ^^^^^ THANKS GARY , YOU WERE SO RIGHT ON THAT .

had the maiden flight , needed the usual trimming and went ok , the landing gear fell out though as i hadnt glued it in i just wedged it with a paddle pop stick , but that came loose and she fell out . so i zapped it in for 2nd flight and all went well . i did 3 setup flights , adjusting throttle curve and throws between flights , also changing exponential , i increased the throws even though i'd set them up for max travel according to the instructions , <<< once again the instructions were wrong , as they supply servo arm extensions and then tell you maximum throws , where you end up reducing your travel on the servos <<< sacriligious in servo setup . but i was happy when i set them back to 100% .
the nose sage , i reduced half the nose weight , ie 15 gm and it made minimal difference , so i took all the lead off that i added - 30 grams , which brought back the model to 800grams even , mightn't sound a lot but 30grams of lead added 4% wieght to the model . so removing it and having a little tail heavy setup , rendered ever so slight down trim to keep model flying level , and inverted it is fine . very neutrally balanced , and soooo much better flying .
i had 9 flights all up most of it was changing bits here and there , and i think it is now close to a fantastic flyer . . power to weight seems spot on , battery life is only 4 min 30 seconds . but this thing can take off inside 30 cm and fly vertical , and land the same way . i really really enjoyed it .

i highly recommend this model with my setup for anyone training on 3d , or even as a 1st model trainer with a buddy setup . its a great beginner to advanced model , and when i came home i had a smile on the dial , and only 9 flights . i'll be back tomorrow .

Very happy it all went well Frank... told you tail heavy was good (only for 3D though)

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!