Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

YAK 55M superncheaper !

That certainly is a big motor, did you buy the Spruce Goose mate?
I suppose you get what you pay for Frank... HK stuff is more than reasonably priced and is certainly a good financial option, but I guess if you want the good oil... you have to pay for it.
I love the smaller stuff HK produces but once I go 6S or higher I personally won't go near any of their motors.
I only use Hacker, Eflite or OS Motor for the big stuff.
I've got one of those K Force ESC's and it is a gem.
I wouldn't get overly concerned about the size of the wire on the spark arrestor, it really doesn't carry any current.
I don't use spark arrestors, they are a bit of a wank actually, the big "CRACK" you hear when you connect your battery tells you that everything in speedie/motor world is doing what it is supposed to and is ready to go, it doesn't cause any issues apart from letting you know you have connected your battery!
I cant explain it to you in detail but next time you see Dave down at the field ask him to tell you all about it as he is our resident Electronics Guru. (So are you Claudio)
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yeah i guess your right GAZZ . IT'S WRONG TO ADVERTISE higher quality than standard , as you can see the bearing in the motor will be good for a go kart wheel , yet the the 3mm screws swinging a high rpm large prop .I also noticed i cannot see any glue around the magnets , some motors have more glue in the housing than magnet material . i may change my veiws after i build .
but i'm used to fabricating to the strength of 30 to 1400 tonne , we dont compromise on smaller parts there , the sad part is we're talking about 5kg here , and the consequences can be just as dire .
did you imply that i could remove those 4 capacitors if i want from the ESC ?

here is the motor . the sk3 63-74 is 10mm longer than a G160, although rated the same wattage with lower kv , it should be good for a genuine 12S , its 200gram heavier than the g160 but its 80 amp peak rating suggests it should do 4000watts peak with ease , some reports say it can sustain 3500 watts . thats why i bought it , not for speed , for power .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html IT DOES HAVE A NICE INTERNAL BLADED COOLING FAN IN IT THOUGH , AND FURTHER INSPECTION SUGGESTS THERE IS ENOUGH GLUE AROUND THE MAGNETS . , starting to feel a little better , perhaps i'm waking up . the wife has learnt not to talk to me the next day after a MN shift .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Do not remove the capacitors they are there for a good reason!!
If you remove them you'll have a lot of electrical noise that will mess with your radio
What Gazz was saying was don't bother with the anti spark system
The idea of the anti spark system is it has a resistor In series with the power lead and a heavy plug that shorts the resistor. If you disconnect the plug that shorts the resistor then when you plug in the main power lead to the battery it charges the capacitors via the resistor. The resistor limits the current and stops the crack you get when you plug it in. Then you connect the (the shorting plug) ie the plug on the red lead of the ESC and you ready to go
That crack sounds bad but it does no harm except to wear the connectors a little. It's caused by the large but very short lived current draw that is required to charge up those big capacitors.
The capacitors are needed tho' so don't get rid of them.
Gazz is 100% right it is a bit of a wank and not needed some ESC manufactures say that the crack is needed and strongly recommend against the addition of antispark circuits

It will be interesting to see how that motor goes
It might be worthwhile giving it a bit of a work over
I ve found out a few things from the motor gurus at CSIRO
One thing that makes a big difference to motor performance is potting the windings
I did this to my G160 and it made a big difference to the noise the plane made
I don't know if you remember but it used to make some crazy noises in the air. It sounded like it was flying with a feral cat caught by the tail in the elevator hinges. I potted the windings with 5 min epoxy and suddenly most of the noise was gone
I had earlier balanced the motor tho it was out a bit balancing made almost no difference to the sound it made
The other thing I did was grout inbetween the magnets this will stop them from coming loose and causing a dead stick
Something to think about with $800 of model in th air Smile
It's ok to use the cheep stuff and push it hard as long as you eliminate their weeknesses
Any improvement in reliability also increases safety and that's an important concideration with larger machines

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

JASON thanks for the explanation of the capacitors . I'll leave em where they are , i just didnt recall so much wiring and stuff dangling off other esc's of the same type and thought either i have a later series , or some people remove it , or lack of observation on my behalf . there are a few dangly bits on this ESC .
OK , I have ridiculed the SK3 quite harshly and stand by my comments . Some would not notice and not be concerned . The motor windings i noticed however have been ( potted) -epoxied during assembly , infact you can see where the glue has run down through the windings and stator and puddled on one end as it looks like the stator has been stood on end and sprayed .the magnets are recessed into a holding plate in the casing for correct spacing and holding , some of them appear to have been grouted others have not , ( this has been done with a blue filler ) the glue is clear in colour , so perhaps this may be quality control . For $10 extra for an sk3 , you get 3 bearings ( bigger too) supposedly better magnets , a little attention to detail , potted windings, and a nice box . i would love to inspect a hacker or axi motor for comparison . one thing i see on those motors is under rated current power draws , ( which i guess is safety caution stating in print )
IT will be very interesting to see how this motor goes . it's 192 kv 12 s spec . this motor is also available at 168kv and 149 kv . imagine the differences you can have with the same aircraft . mind you these seem to motors of choice for scooters and bikes at lower KV .
THE GREAT NEWS IS . IT'S 9.30 AM WIFES AT WORK , KIDS AT SCHOOL AND I HAVE 3 DAYS OFF . STARTING THE BUILD TODAY . I WONDER WHAT THE WIFE WILL THINK WHEN SHE COMES HOME AND PARKS UNDER NEW FITTED SHELVING WITH A 1.8M LONG PLANE OVER HER BONNET .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Sounds like a productive day ahead !!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

getting there .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's a great colour scheme!! It should be nice and easy to orientate

Wow, that will be impressive in the air. Well done

well its just about there . comes in at 5.3kg , runs 12 s , 20x8 prop , 70amps max and bang on 3000watts . just needs a little bit of fine tuning now and decals , and spinner . thats complete weight inc spinner to . batteries are 2x6s 3000mah 20-30c .
here are a few pics .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice old mate !! I can't wait to see it fly.

You'll love the way it flies !!

Yes - very nice indeed ... even if it's not a warbird!

Steve Murray

Frank/Jason

Had to let you YAK 55 junkies know about this lovely beastie, 2800mm wingspan..... Yeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaa !

http://www.rctrader.com/category/310/Gas...100cc.html

By the way I was talking about the plane gents!!!!

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Nice spotting Gazz, It would be great to have the space to fly a machine like that

The Hanger girl looks high maintenance tho', at least she's got her flying boots on Biggrin

She looks like she'd be a mode-2 honey to me!

Steve Murray

(03-07-2013, 08:32 PM)smuzz Wrote:  She looks like she'd be a mode-2 honey to me!

Probably - pretty sure that shot is at Tuscon. Those who follow the All Things That Fly podcast might recognise that as one of the Fly Low girls (Ashley?) from Higher Plane Productions.

I love this reason for selling:
Quote:Selling to fund 150cc project.

Because 2800mm was too small!? Shock Looking forward to saying that some day!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

weak at the knees . i dont know whats wrong with me . i was talking about the plane too , i think . maybe not . i dont know . thats just a nice page . and i cant afford either option .

Claudio..... me thinks you may have a dark side??????

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6