Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EDF with afterburner?

A really good episode of flite test:

http://youtu.be/yKuq8T7KMa0

Don't try this at home of course, but it does sound fantastic!

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Hmmm I was thinking along these lines only the other day.
If it's carefully designed it should be able to provide a lot more than 15% extra thrust

The Russians made an early jet fighter that used a piston engine to drive the compressor and a combustion chamber like a conventional jet engine. The idea has a few advantages over the traditional gas turbine design, especially in model size applications. properly designed it should over double the thrust but you wouldn't use it as an afterburner it would have to have a proper combustion chamber and nozzle and would have to burn fuel all the time.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(19-03-2013, 10:06 PM)ConcreteTurtle Wrote:  A really good episode of flite test:

Yes indeed mate - the best episode of Flitetest I've ever seen Smile

Steve Murray

(19-03-2013, 10:38 PM)secant0give Wrote:  The Russians made an early jet fighter that used a piston engine to drive the compressor and a combustion chamber like a conventional jet engine. The idea has a few advantages over the traditional gas turbine design, especially in model size applications. properly designed it should over double the thrust but you wouldn't use it as an afterburner it would have to have a proper combustion chamber and nozzle and would have to burn fuel all the time.

Hey Jason,

Yeah I think the concept is a thermojet, pretty inefficient but when you want a boost in combat it was a good stopgap.

I suppose the limitations we have are the materials, pressure and temperature are not good friends of EPO.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

Sounds and looks awesome.

Here is the ever-enthusiastic Alishanmao with a beautiful sounding 90mm EDF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDNNELiskg

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

He certainly had his hands full! I was pleased to hear him saying they were working on retract selection because a beautiful model like that cries out for them.

Steve Murray

Andrew, You Inspiring me to finish off my Viper Jet Wink

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yep. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Just to get this thread back on track Smile

Here's an interesting link I found discussing various experiments with motor Jets.

It's also interesting to note that some people are using EDF set ups to supercharge internal combustion engines.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

OK Jason you have my attention... I'm interested ... what Link????

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

http://www.angelfire.com/art/jetengine/

Sorry Gazz I forgot the link earlier here it is