Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Parkzone stryker ultra micro

I remember a while ago (probably last year) seeing someone who was setting up a stryker ultra micro for a maiden flight. Im thinking of getting one - do people here have any thoughts?

To fill you in, I dont have my bronze wings yet so when I fly solo it must be under 100g by CASA regulations. I have been flying a T-28 UM to death this year (at least 3 flights a week every week) and can get it to do pretty much what I want (almost to bronze wings grade I think - UM and wind makes the loss of altitude aspect of turns more challenging). I have also flown a UMX Carbon Cub (that wasnt mine) successfully and I have had some success at repairing and flying my UMX beast after learning the hard way to land with ailerons on low rate. I would be using the stryker to train me for some speed.

The other plane I have been thinking about for speed practice is the HK 400mm micro rare bear (which is also a 2s setup).

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

My mate Phil down in Hobart has one, and couldn't put it down for about 6 months. To keep him amused for that long... must be good Lol He has said it is really easy to handle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7akrpkn7zk[/youtube]

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

They are very Pricey Though, Better off geting the Stryker Q full size version for a few extra dollars.

Hobbyking Do a Parkjet though its a bit over 100grams. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._PNF_.html

Need to get The t28 up and flying, as you fly well ben, and get those bronze wings Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(16-03-2013, 09:49 PM)BenR Wrote:  I remember a while ago (probably last year) seeing someone who was setting up a stryker ultra micro for a maiden flight. Im thinking of getting one - do people here have any thoughts?

That was probably myself and the Anguses (Angii?).

Don't really remember the particulars, but I was impressed at how stable it was and yet how much you could throw it around - it was fun, but I don't believe it was real fast. Was a bit pricey though then; $180 or so. I remember thinking at the time that at half that price it'd be an impulse buy. At full retail, not so much.

(16-03-2013, 09:49 PM)BenR Wrote:  To fill you in, I dont have my bronze wings yet so when I fly solo it must be under 100g by CASA regulations.

I recall you've mentioned this before, and I don't believe this is correct. What drove you to that conclusion?

Last I recall of CASR Part 101, as long as you obey a few sensible conditions (like stay below 400ft AGL, not within 3nm of an aerodrome, within line of sight etc), anyone can fly model aircraft up to 25kg and CASA doesn't care less what accreditation they might have or whether they do it with a club or not.

(MAAA/insurance is a different story, but that's distinct from the CASA regs)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(16-03-2013, 11:37 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(16-03-2013, 09:49 PM)BenR Wrote:  To fill you in, I dont have my bronze wings yet so when I fly solo it must be under 100g by CASA regulations.

I recall you've mentioned this before, and I don't believe this is correct. What drove you to that conclusion?

Last I recall of CASR Part 101, as long as you obey a few sensible conditions (like stay below 400ft AGL, not within 3nm of an aerodrome, within line of sight etc), anyone can fly model aircraft up to 25kg and CASA doesn't care less what accreditation they might have or whether they do it with a club or not.

Yes, you're right Claudio - Ben is thinking about MAAA/Insurance issues, I'm sure.
As far as both CASA and MAAA are concerned, model aircraft with an all-up-weight of less than 100g don't count at all, so he can fly them solo without bronze wings and not draw the ire of either.
Naturally, however, someone flying a model of less than 100g weight in a public space might still attract unwelcome legal attention from another user of the same area if the model managed to gouge somone's eye out for example - but these things are always a matter of managing risks within what's considered reasonable scope.

Steve Murray

(16-03-2013, 11:59 PM)smuzz Wrote:  
(16-03-2013, 11:37 PM)Claudius Wrote:  

Yes, you're right Claudio - Ben is thinking about MAAA/Insurance issues, I'm sure.
As far as both CASA and MAAA are concerned, model aircraft with an all-up-weight of less than 100g don't count at all, so he can fly them solo without bronze wings and not draw the ire of either.
Naturally, however, someone flying a model of less than 100g weight in a public space might still attract unwelcome legal attention from another user of the same area if the model managed to gouge somone's eye out for example - but these things are always a matter of managing risks within what's considered reasonable scope.

What drove me to that conclusion is my first reading of MOP014 (3.3a) and CASA CAR 101 (5.4a). Reading them again though, its harder to clarify what the difference is by exemption. Having said that, I still think I would rather stay with UM while I am practicing away from the field - bringing much bigger and especially more powerful planes runs the risk of getting unwelcome attention from the people managing the area, whereas for now I am working on a kind of tacit approval.

Back to the stryker question - the answers seem to suggest its fine but pricy, especially compared to its full size partner. While they are $180 and $230 I agree however the prices for the UM version have come down and I can get one for about $110. And at that price Im tempted.

E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)

Yes, the UMX's have had a bit of a price plummet.

As far as CASA goes, from what I found when researching ludicrous statements by a person in another state is that CASA basically say "prefer you to join a club", "don't fly near an airport, over people and use common sense".

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

At the end of the day " old cleache I know" but it doesn't matter what you fly, If you cause damage by that action, be it personal or property "YOU" are responsible. being a member of a club simply reduces that risk by supplying a designated flying area that minimises risk and protects you with insurance coverage if you cause damage. If you do the wrong thing and break CASA regulations, well now you are opening pandoras box.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Well I thought about and and decided..... the box arrived today.

Hi Ben,

As the other Angus (who doesn't own a UM stryker), can you fill me in on where you found it so cheap?

After flying the other Angus's one, it made me want one of my own. Plus I've got a stack of batteries for the MiG that will work.

E-Flite Vapor
PZ Ultra Micro Mosquito
Durafly T-28 Trojan
HK FW-190-A8
E-Flite Ultra Micro MiG-15
FMS Stuka (Woo Hoo!)
Langxiang Su-47 Berkut
HK450 Heli

I got it for $130 not $110 unfortunately. That was from Frontline hobbies at Newcastle, but I notice that most places around are offering it at that price.

If you want it still cheaper, there is apparently a "basic" version with no charger that should be cheaper (which I cannot find in 5 minutes of searching) or I saw one on ebay from the US that would be about $110 delivered if you have the patience.

EDIT: Also, if you buy one, it requires a bit more height per mistake allowance then you might think. I crashed mine after trying something out at what turned out to only be about .3 mistakes high.