Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a TowerPro 2408/2410 Equivilent

Hi All,
Looking for a powertrain for the GuanLi planes that I recently picked up. I've been told that a TowerPro 2408/2410 should be a good brushless motor for these planes ( instructions show a Brushed Setup) but I seem to be having trouble finding some.

Would anyone know if the AX 2308N 1100kv from our mates at hobbyking would be a suitable equivilant? If not, does any one have any suggestions?

I need to have a stick mounted motor and this seems to be one of the few that I can find.

Thanks all
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

I think that HK motor might be a little too small Mick. At about 110 Watts maxed out it would only give you good performance if the takeoff weight was about 400g. I think those GuanLi models are going to weigh in at more than that. To give the model enough punch to make it good fun to fly, I'd be looking at something rated at about 180+ Watts.

Steve Murray

Bugger, I need something that is stick mount. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mick

How about if I use something like this stick mount or perhaps this one could anyone reccomend a cheapo motor to fit that would produce the 180+ watts reccomended? I'd be using it on a 3s either 1800 or 2200 most likley a 3s1800mah battery.

Thanks Again
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Ive got one its yours for free if you want . It was in a pulse i once owned mount included i think it is the 2308 one 1800 or 1100 kv 3S

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(15-03-2013, 08:59 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  Ive got one its yours for free if you want . It was in a pulse i once owned mount included i think it is the 2308 one 1800 or 1100 kv 3S

That would be fantastic. I'll gladly accept your donation. Thank you very much. Not sure when I'll get down next as I'm working this weekend but I may be able to pop down in the morning for an hour or so on sunday to check out the pylon racing. I'd like to try and maybe sneak in an hour on sat moring too to re-maiden my Morane

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Ill bring it there . Its yours .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

hey mate was looking for you all day . i have a prop to suit on the motor as well . it is in my boot . a blue falcon sedan xr6 . when you see it come over and take the motor . cheers .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sorry I ended up not being able to make it down on sunday Frown Looks like I missed a great day. I don't know yet if I'm working next sunday but if I'm not I'll be there. I still want to maiden my Morane Saulner.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

mate no worries , i'm not there all the time either , theres no hurry , if you want it sooner rather than later i'll put it in the field box for you or leave it with someone you see often , cheers .

No hurry, still gotta order servo's and other stuff yet so hopefully I'll bump into you at the field.

Now all I gotta do is find 2 more of them. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

ok, I'd like some opinions here as I'm not real good with working out motor equlivents. Would either the hexTronik DT700 Brushless Outrunner 700kv or the Turnigy L2210-1400 be closer to what I need for the GuanLi planes?

Also, as I need a stick mount, does anyone know if either of the above motors will attach to this stick mount.

Sorry for the silly questions but this kinda thing isn't my stong point
Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Mick - you might have some other mounting options available to consider.

The Spitfire I had annoyed me because it had a stick mount which I couldn't reach to modify because the slender nose and cowl were all one moulded piece and there was no room to work. Maybe putting the stick-mounted motor that Wingtipper has for you into that model makes sense.

For the others - I think there's a P-47 and a Zero? I've not seen either in the flesh but being radial-engined models means you've got more room to work within the cowl. It might make it possible to get rid of the stick mount and glue a lite-ply firewall in there instead - this gives you way more motor options as you can then put any of the suitable HK motors in place using a standard cruciform firewall mounting setup. I'd be looking at something in the 180+ Watts range, with a KV to match your chosen propeller. The GuanLi models come with slow-fly props - I'd give them the flick in exchange for a suitable APC or similar two-blade. If you wanted a more scale-looking prop, then things are a little trickier, particularly for the Thunderbolt because I'm not sure of any nice looking small four-bladers.

I hope that helps ... maybe it hasn't but I'd try to get rid of the stick-mounts, for sure.

Steve Murray

I have the P-47, The Corsair and a Spitfire. I've not yet unboxed them so I can't say how much room is in them or how they are set up. All I know is that there is a stick mounted Brushed motor and gearbox (no speed controller) in the planes already.

I'm assuming that what I want to do is check the brished motor/gearbox and drop in a stick mounted el-cheapo HK brushless motor.

I'm not much worried about the scale look of a $13.33 airplane so I'd be happy with any prop that suits but that'd be determined by the motor.

Is there a standard/simple way to turn a stick into a firewall?

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

(20-03-2013, 09:36 PM)Kedumba Wrote:  I have the P-47, The Corsair and a Spitfire. I've not yet unboxed them so I can't say how much room is in them or how they are set up. All I know is that there is a stick mounted Brushed motor and gearbox (no speed controller) in the planes already.

Yeh, well I'm only guessing that there'd be more room within the Thunderbolt and the Corsair cowl spaces - I've not seen them in the flesh. Yes, the stick-mounted, brushed and gearboxed motor is what I found in the Spitfire too, and I expect them all to be like that.

(20-03-2013, 09:36 PM)Kedumba Wrote:  I'm assuming that what I want to do is check the brished motor/gearbox and drop in a stick mounted el-cheapo HK brushless motor.

Well, that would be the easiest option - if you can find some stick-mounted options that offer a suitable power range. Have you checked Leaderhobby? (Edit: see post below) They might have something which could save a lot of mucking about.

(20-03-2013, 09:36 PM)Kedumba Wrote:  I'm not much worried about the scale look of a $13.33 airplane so I'd be happy with any prop that suits but that'd be determined by the motor.

Yeh, OK.

(20-03-2013, 09:36 PM)Kedumba Wrote:  Is there a standard/simple way to turn a stick into a firewall?

Put a cutting disk on to the end of a Dremel and use that to swipe the stick off, flush with the foam that it protrudes from. Leave the rest of the stick embedded in the fuselage, but keep a reference to its position (perhaps some felt-tipped pen markings in suitable places). You can then load up a plywood plate (perhaps a disk about 50mm diameter) with hot-melt glue or araldite and whack it onto the foam at the back of the cavity inside the cowl. After the glue has dried, you can put a single wood-screw though the ply and into the remainder of the embedded stick, just for good measure. Now you've got a plywood plate on the firewall onto which you can use woodscrews to attach the motor mount. You might need to provide standoffs of suitable length though, if your replacement motors are shorter in body-length than the original arrangement. The standoffs can be easily made out of more sandwiched pieces of ply with holes drilled through in suitable places to save weight - they can be glued in a stack until you've got the correct overall length. With a larger model and motor I wouldn't be that keen on just using woodscrews into timber as the motor fixing, but with something this size it will be alright of you use screws with a bitey thread.

One thing to make a note of beforehand - check to see if there's any down- and right-thrust on the motor mount before removing the stick. If so, it might be a good idea to replicate that with a replacement setup. Mind you, with the GuanLi models, anything's possible - it might not have any thrust-line adjustment even though it may need it, it's impossible to say.

Steve Murray

Here's something which would do the trick ...

http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001220588

... but I'm shocked at the price, being about $25. Leaderhobby are usually much more competitive with their pricing than that. No doubt this motor would "haul the mail" though, and it only weighs 85g - it would go well.

Steve Murray

Hi Mick, are still looking for one of those motors? My first plane had that type of motor and then after bending the shaft I decided to by a couple from HK. I'm pretty sure it's the 2410. I'm living with my folks at the moment as our unit is being renovated but If I see you at the field tomorrow I'll duck by home after flying and fetch it for you.

Now that's why being a member of a club is the way to go ... it's not insurance, it's people helping one another to get their machines in the sky!
Nice one Arron!

Steve Murray

Quote:Hi Mick, are still looking for one of those motors? My first plane had that type of motor and then after bending the shaft I decided to by a couple from HK. I'm pretty sure it's the 2410. I'm living with my folks at the moment as our unit is being renovated but If I see you at the field tomorrow I'll duck by home after flying and fetch it for you.

Yeah I'm Still looking although with no great urgency. I need three of them but I just want to get one up a flying first to see if that motor is the way to go. I also have few other projects on the back burner as well, but the 2410 would be very much appreciated and greatfully accepted. Thank-you

Quote:Now that's why being a member of a club is the way to go ... it's not insurance, it's people helping one another to get their machines in the sky!
Nice one Arron!

Couldn't agree more. I'd be so lost without the help from the wonderful members of this club.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

mate i will place mine in a bag and put it in the flightbox , as i havent seem to cross paths with you yet .

(30-03-2013, 04:02 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  mate i will place mine in a bag and put it in the flightbox , as i havent seem to cross paths with you yet .

Great, Thank you so much. I'm working every day over easter break so I've not been able to get down. Howver, Monday I don't start until 4pm so I'm gonna try and get down for a couple of hours in the morning weather permitting. I'll grab it then.

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

im working monday and havent been out there myself . through the week i should be out there one day , i'll put a post here when i drop it off . cheers .

A 2408 and a 2409. One motor free of charge, 2 motors $10. One stick mount aswell.
I'll be leaving for Vietnam on Saturday and will be gone for 3 weeks. Definitely got your name on it though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-04-2013, 06:13 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  A 2408 and a 2409. One motor free of charge, 2 motors $10. One stick mount aswell.
I'll be leaving for Vietnam on Saturday and will be gone for 3 weeks. Definitely got your name on it though.

Ok, I'll take both for $10.

Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

OK MICK . i was at the field today , i placed my motor, prop and mount inside the field box . there is a plastic box inside containing an incident log book , you will find the motor in there too . good luck with it hope it becomes of some use to you . cheers . it's free , i have no use for it .

(06-04-2013, 05:06 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  OK MICK . i was at the field today , i placed my motor, prop and mount inside the field box . there is a plastic box inside containing an incident log book , you will find the motor in there too . good luck with it hope it becomes of some use to you . cheers . it's free , i have no use for it .

Awesome, thank you muchly. I'm gonna try pop down tomorrow morning, depending on the weather, for a couple of hours and I'll grab it then.

Thank you so much.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Finally back home, if you still want those motors my number is 0418 619 801. Probably won't be at the field for a while so either you can pick them up from North Parramatta or I could drop them off.

(30-04-2013, 06:42 PM)Panspermian Wrote:  Finally back home, if you still want those motors my number is 0418 619 801. Probably won't be at the field for a while so either you can pick them up from North Parramatta or I could drop them off.

Still interested in them. A big huge mega thank-you. I don't know if I'll be able to make it down this weekend either due to being rostered to work. Hopefully I'll can make it down the following weekend. If you are down at the field you could possibly drop it off in the Flight Box and I can pick it up next time I'm there. Otherwise I'm not in a huge hurry so we'll eventually bump into each other.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF