Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Helicopters - What to choose?

The word crash has only been written 6 times in this thread, It can't be stated enough that unless you are god fingers or cheat (Like I did), You are going to crash a few times. Go cheap

Yes as Kizza mentioned it will be a case of when not if with crashing.

how did you cheat Kizza?

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

Good point. I have pranged only 3 times (mCPx excluded). All on the 450. Main blades, main shaft and feathering shaft (only). I think I fly too conservatively with expensive helis. A cheap one wont bring tears to your eyes if pranged.

Yes, Kizza. How did you cheat? Did you have one of those Spartan AP2000i stabilisers with the "I'm about to stack it" recovery switch and the stabilised hovering training wheels?

I think Kizza had a Flymentor (maybe?)...
I think I'm even more conservative (with my larger Helis) - I haven't crashed either my 450 or 550 Heli - I'm probably too cautious and wondering if that's slowing down my learning curve. I can fly my mCPX no problem and have crashed it numerous times as I'm not too worried about it. I'm at the point with my large Helis where I know I can fly nose-in but too chicken - probably should just bite the bullet. Enough height and just a matter of quickly getting it back to tail-in if needed.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Yep, I had a Flymentor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...=flymentor

It saved me from alot of crashes but made for some hairy situations where autolevel saved the chopper from an immediate crash but then I would let it get waaay too far away whilst trying to recover, I would lose orientation and have to ditch miles away. Once on someones roof which definitely was not something to be proud of:
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=91&pid=3335#pid3335 <--Thats a great writeup by an ex member...

My next bird will certainly have the Ikon flybarless on it.
Currently saving up for that kit as we speak Wink

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

Hmmm.... in a quandary.... want something a bit bigger than my 450, was thinking 500 but maybe a 600 is in th realm of possibility.
Comparing a Goblin 500 with a Protos and Compass 6HV.
Pros and cons?
I like the compass for the lack of parts and it's simplicity in its design, I love the look of the goblin, and have heard good things about the protos.

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8

I've also bought a HK450GT V2 Beltdrive from Hobbyking. I dont really need another Heli but I wanted to build one from scratch (although with this one the frame and Head are pre assembled). Have made a start and it is time consuming but fun tinkering and as Skidz said, you do learn a lot. Will take my time as there's no point rushing and I'm less likely to stuff up and damage things with impatience. As mentioned previously, some of the parts are cheap and easily damaged anyway. Will take it slow and see how I go.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Make sure the head assembly has thread lock in the right places *and in the right qty*.

Thanks Dave. I wasn't sure if I should reassemble what's already been done but I guess the Head is pretty important. I've actually just finished the majority of it - mechanically anyway (will reloctite the head). Just have the electronics to fit (need to order some of it) and then all the adjustments and setup of course. I've got a Turnigy 3550KV motor fitted and at least it looks like a Helicopter. That canopy is pretty ugly. Will order a new one with the other bits from Hobbyking.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Jelovic