Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Seagull Models MXS-R build & maiden

http://seagullmodels.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=105
Have been looking at this beauty for quite some time and considered it to be my next plane, but the demise of the MX2 necessitated some retail therapy and I could not have chosen better therapy if I had tried Biggrin Biggrin .
I thought this model had similar specs to the MX2 and I could simply swap over the electrics and didn't check it out until I got home Tounge . OMG it's huge. The guy from the movie "jaws" said "were gunna need a bigger boat" I am now saying "OMG gunna need a bigger donk" Lol to handle it's 4.2 - 4.8kg flying weight (Not sure if difference is 2stroke/4stroke or electric/gas).
The manual suggests .91 - 1.2 cu. in. 2 stroke engine and has the extra framework to mount electric and suggests a 50mm 310 kv motor, 60 amp esc, 14x10 or 15x10 prop & 8s lipo Shock Shock (my battery charger will only charge 6s max). MX2 has a 50mm 580kv but 2000w motor 80amp speedie only 3/4 utilised by the 15 x 6 prop and pulled 4kg thrust on 6s.

Comments appreciated

wow , nice plane mate . wait till jason gets wind of this one , i think he runs 12s and 1.6 electric motor 270kvwith 120 amp esc in his planes of that size , and when you see them fly , i think they need 12S . lucky you , youve graduated to the next size up buy default .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Now look what happens when you don't go fishin'. This reminds me of the movie "Sliding Doors".

What a fabulous plane. Just need to save for more batteries and a new charger. You could probably use two 6S batteries in series and then charge them on the charger you have. A bigger donk is definitely needed. Biggest glow engine I ever had was an OS 90 four stroke which was then considered serious grunt but that is not powerful enough for this plane. Roughly a 90 two stroke has half as much power again and that is the minimum recommended power.

Look forward to seeing this develop and maiden.

(09-03-2013, 06:07 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  http://seagullmodels.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=105
Have been looking at this beauty for quite some time and considered it to be my next plane, but the demise of the MX2 necessitated some retail therapy and I could not have chosen better therapy if I had tried Biggrin Biggrin .
I thought this model had similar specs to the MX2 and I could simply swap over the electrics and didn't check it out until I got home Tounge . OMG it's huge. The guy from the movie "jaws" said "were gunna need a bigger boat" I am now saying "OMG gunna need a bigger donk" Lol to handle it's 4.2 - 4.8kg flying weight (Not sure if difference is 2stroke/4stroke or electric/gas).
The manual suggests .91 - 1.2 cu. in. 2 stroke engine and has the extra framework to mount electric and suggests a 50mm 310 kv motor, 60 amp esc, 14x10 or 15x10 prop & 8s lipo Shock Shock (my battery charger will only charge 6s max). MX2 has a 50mm 580kv but 2000w motor 80amp speedie only 3/4 utilised by the 15 x 6 prop and pulled 4kg thrust on 6s.

Comments appreciated

I did say I wanted to push myselt in my progression Shock , but holy %$#@'n hell, maybe one small step for mankind, but one giant leap for this little black duck Leet

Most guys that run 8, 10 or 12S power setups use 2 separate batteries and wire them is series, the main reason is that 2 x 5S batteries are much easier to fit into the airframe rather than 1 x 10S the second reason is it makes it easier to get the C of G right, and third, you don't need to run out and buy a new battery charger...

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Yep I run a g160 in my 72" yaks
With 2 6s 3000 packs in series
They weigh pretty close to 5kgs all up
Flight time is 5 mins with some to spare running a 19x6 prop or an 18x8
The thing with these bigger machines is you really have to set them down gently
Otherwise they will suffer damage.
Try to keep it as light as you can especiAlly for our field

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks Gazz & Jason
My brain is hurting again & I cant get ecalc to work.
Specs on the G160 290kv suggests 22.2v - 19x12 Prop - 75A - will achieve 6000g Thrust. More than enough as this plane is a sports/scale (control surfaces smaller than 3D but larger than speedsters) plane rather than 3D.
Am thinking of propping down to say 17 x 10 and running 2 x 4s in series & buying a truck load of 4s 3300mAh 30-40c batteries to also power the eratics & pulse. Should be able to use 80amp plush ESC from the deceased MX2

Sounds like a plan
Can the plush ESC handle 8s ?
It's good to have your lipos do double duty like that

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks for pointing that out Jason, looked at the amps, not the volts. 6s limit, oh well back to the drawing board.

I reckon this one would be worth a try as it has active free wheeling

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=36601

I use these in my big Yaks, I think it's the earlier version tho

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...s_ESC.html
you'll also need one of these. I use one in the HK 72" Yak. The Other Yak, the yellow one from super and cheaper has a dualsky twin regulator and twin battery system. You can also put two megga 8's together with two lipo packs for extra bullet proof reliability but it's not needed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...EC_8_.html

and I also use one of these, it lets me know not only that the radio link is on but also the pack voltage, which is a handy safety feature. I like to run a seperate pack for the radio link that way you still have controll if you loose motor power and it also supplies your reciever from a nice noise free source. (the motor and ESC can be pretty electrically noisy when you get up to these voltages and you dont want to connect your reciever to the same power source as all the noisy stuff)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...splay.html

and you will need one of these as well to power your BEC so that it can power your reciever and servos

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Pack.html

I use a switch harnes between the 2s lipo and the BEC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...witch.html

Here's a switch with a voltage display built in, looks a little heavy have to check the weights verses them seperatly

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ispay.html

Just some suggestions This is the way I've set my machines up and they have been good, safe and reliable so far. I also use FRsky for the radio link which is a super reliable system.

Looks like the credit card is going to take a beating.
Maybe because there are no reviews for the HK speedie, maybe because I am familiar with turnigy reputation, maybe because it is something you have used before but I think I will go with the http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...s_ESC.html
My how this reply has grown since I first looked at it and I thank you for your time & effort Jason. Thumbup Will follow your lead & set up as suggested. Will probably need a bit of guidance along the way tho.
Not sure is missed intentially but I may need this timing card, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=8996
I seem to have everthing covered, seems I have everything but this
http://www.reece.com.au/bathrooms/produc...tchen-sink Wink

Definately go with the K Force Speedie, they are worth every cent.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

wow , i'm excited looking at all those things , certainly a lot more involved than a 50 size eh !!!
but more than 2 times the weight , so must be considered . whats it gunna cost to get these things and put this bird in the air .
the mx2 cost $199 + 4 x $40 servos , + 4 x $40 batteries , + a $60 esc , + $50 receiver + $40 motor + glue $15 + bigger wheels $10 = $535 without batteries = $700 with .

NOW HOW MUCH FOR THESE 70 INCH THINGS . ???

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

I dont want to add it up, might scare the credit card back into my wallet or scare me into keeping the plane permanently out of the air.
Just kidding, I love this beauty, just hope my flying progresses sufficiently to do it justice.

Motor $80
ESC $115
4 X HXT 12kg digital servos $8.00 each
BEC $12
RC link Lipo $7.00
switch harnes $3.00
voltage display $3.00
Prop $12.00
Spinner $8.00
Programming box for ESC $16.00
6X main power lipos (gives 3 sets) $33.00 each http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=15309

Airframe $279
http://www.superandcheaper.com.au/view_p...sp?id=1447

FRsky telemetry reciever $28

$781 plus postage and glue ........Smile for a Yak 55M from super and cheaper with HK power system

And add $20 for my airframe (no postage) Leet

oooooooooh !!! its my birthday next week . geez that yak looks the goods .

The Checkered Color Scheme looks Good, Very Sporty.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Already have servos from MX2 so did not have to purchase any more. Remaining purchase including 6 x 4S 3300 30-40c turnigy batteries have totalled just a tad over $800. For a quality Seagull model, I am reasonably happy with this price.

Gotta be happy with that Wayne

Yeah wayne gotta be happy . As soon as i can ill be starting a build on one too

I have heard nothing but praise about Seagull Models & expected a smooth run to completion. Bom Bom, looks like I am an exception to that rule.
Following the instructions which are minimal, I started with wing assembly. Love the way the servos are concealed by the cover plates with only the servo arms protruding. Centred the servo arm & installed the aileron control horn where marked & attached clevices to both ends of the pushrod. Swear time, even with the clevices screwed all the way to the end of the thread (which restricts servo arm movement), the servo arm has to be pushed off centre by about 5mm. Only conclusion is that the pushrod is at least 10-15mm too long.
2 possible solutions:
- Source M3 threaded pushrods with only 40-45mm between thread ends.
- Put 3 bends in pushrod to form a "V" in the middle to reduce their length.
Pushrods from deceased MX2 are right length but utilising ball joint ends become too short and are M2.5.
Looks like I am stuck at the beginning again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Don't want to sound condersending Wayne but you haven't got the servo mounted around the wrong way or got the right and left covers mixed so the control arm is in the wrong spot?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Would be impossible to swap it round as servo arm would not be centred in the slot & have a more than doubling effect of arm length error. Arm would then only swing one way. Thanks for the thought Gaz (a logical possibility), but I had already crossed that bridge.
Error discovered before removing cover plate from other wing, so definitely did not mix them up. Also hole for control horn would not line up if mixed up.

Hobbies in the Hills sells really top quality Dubro Servo linkage sets mate. Iv'e got a heap at home, if you what to bring the wing around to my place with servos installed and centred, we can set the rods to the right length and I can Z bend them for you in exactly the right spot. These are what I use on most of my aircaft to replace the fiddly unreliable connections supplied by a number of manufactures, it will take me 5 minutes to make you up a set. They are the ducks guts.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

hi wayne where did you buy this plane from ? do they advertise prices , searching for a buying link with prices , no luck so far .

Hobbies in the Hills, Frank

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Sorry guys, haven't checked forum for a while.
Thanks for the info & offer Gazz, went to Hobs in Hills & bought a length of fully threaded pushrod & matching clevices & now installed on wings. Pretty cheezed off at having to do that.
Motor arrived today, G160 , my what a mammoth motor, awesome, shame the supplied prop adapter screws were too short. A trip to the "nut house" in Parramatta sorted that out.
As Gazz said, bought plane from Hobs in the Hills. Was ticketed at $319 but I was given a small discount.

Sounds like your making progress with it Wayne !!
Photos ?? Smile

SORRY TO HIJAK THE THREAD GUYS . but i was thinking a plane this size i might be a little different , and run this motor sk3 64/74 192kv on 12s . rather than the g160 290kv on 12 s .
what do you guys think
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Motor.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Glow_.html

or this on 12s . i'm confused now .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Motor.html

the G160 has reports of magnets coming loose on 10s . what amps are you pulling on 12s jason ?