Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hobby King 1400mm 6S Rare Bear

Unusual for me to come to the field for a second days flying on the weekend but I did yesterday which was good because I was fortunate to overhear Gazza (who was parked next to me), discuss that he was selling a few aircraft. So I now the new proud owner of his 1400mm Rare Bear.
It was good to read this thread to gather info about the plane, particularly battery selection. Also good to note the care required for take off - I've noticed a considerable amount of torque roll on my much smaller Mustang (also 4 blader) but hadn't really understood the physics of what was going on. As just stated by Gazza, I'll have to be conscious of building up airspeed on takeoff (with my Mustang as we'll - I actually broke the 4 blade prop on the Stang yesterday as a result of bad torque while starting my roll out).
Gazza, might borrow you for a check out flight on the Bear for my first flight.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

No problem at all John, might catch up next weekend!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(23-09-2013, 08:34 AM)helijeli Wrote:  Unusual for me to come to the field for a second days flying on the weekend but I did yesterday which was good because I was fortunate to overhear Gazza (who was parked next to me), discuss that he was selling a few aircraft. So I now the new proud owner of his 1400mm Rare Bear.
It was good to read this thread to gather info about the plane, particularly battery selection. Also good to note the care required for take off - I've noticed a considerable amount of torque roll on my much smaller Mustang (also 4 blader) but hadn't really understood the physics of what was going on. As just stated by Gazza, I'll have to be conscious of building up airspeed on takeoff (with my Mustang as we'll - I actually broke the 4 blade prop on the Stang yesterday as a result of bad torque while starting my roll out).
Gazza, might borrow you for a check out flight on the Bear for my first flight.

it all comes down to right rudder / slow increase of throttle / and take off speed with these tail draggers . once your aware of these things you get used to em , but learning all these things and flying them scale like is a challenge and satisfying fly .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Fitted my Spektrum AR7000 receiver tonight and adjusted all the control surfaces. I've got a spare servo slower thingy that I'll connect to the flaps to slow them right down. Fitted one to my Mustang when I had to replace the flap servo. Tried one of the 6S 3300 Turnigy batteries ( I use in my 550 Heli) and the C of G seems to be correct. The lighter weight should improve performance, as long as the flight time is reasonable and current load not too high (I think they're 20C). Should be good to go for the weekend.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Maiden Flight last Sunday went well except that I stripped an aileron servo gear (a box in my Van fell on the aileron during the drive to the field). Decided to replace all 4 wing Servos (2 aileron, 2 flap) with the 4 MG929 (Metal Gear) servos I'd earmarked for the HK450 Heli I'm building. All good now. Actually good that I'm using a Turnigy servo slower as it provides a servo channel that can be reversed in direction. The original flap servos must have been opposite directions as they sit opposite but produced the same direction movement while connected via a Y-Lead. The Servo slower replaces the Y Lead and not only has adjustable servo speed in both directions but the servos can travel in the same or opposite directions.
Looking forward to taking to the air with the Bear again. I have the week off and had most of today free but the wind was horrendous of course. Might have to wait till the weekend.

John Jelovic

John
Here is the link to the retracts I installed in the Rare Bear

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=23483

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Gazza had warned me that the Bear has a tendency to Snap Roll under large up elevator movement, which I have experienced myself. Finally deciding to investigate this, I found that there was a large amount of twist flex between the 2 elevators, as its just foam connecting the two. So under load, the elevator with the control horn moves as requested, but the other one not as much, resulting in an elevator that thinks its an aileron. So I epoxied a thick Carbon Tube between the elevators and that did the trick. Did some aggressive elevator movements during the Bear flights today, and the bear would shoot upwards suddenly with no hint of roll. A lot of fun to fly!
I'd previously also found that the elevator servo was significantly slower than the (same size) Rudder servo, so I swapped them around and now (even though I still need practice with my landings), the porpoising I was previously doing on landing is much improved.
As I said, good fun now, especially in being able to throw it around with confidence.

John Jelovic

Well ne John, it did look impressive in the air and you flew it very well. Even the plane did a bow when landing, perhaps you could do the bowing next time Leet