Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Videos: RC Flying

(03-07-2012, 07:06 AM)gbanger Wrote:  So where is this great flying spot?

It's further away than even PEMAC Smile It was near Boggabri - about 7 hours N/NW.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(03-07-2012, 09:14 AM)Claudius Wrote:  
(03-07-2012, 07:06 AM)gbanger Wrote:  So where is this great flying spot?

It's further away than even PEMAC Smile It was near Boggabri - about 7 hours N/NW.

You drove 7 hours to maiden a planeShock ConfusedSmilie
Very smooth. I like it. Hope to see it soon. (weather crap again for the weekend forecast).

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Looks like a nice stable camera platform.
Love the location.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

The X-8 is a super impressive airframe. It realy flies nicely!!
A great camera platform and with the motor/power set up that Claudio has in it it's got plenty of grunt as well. It's even slippery enough to catch a bit of thermal lift !!

Lovely bit of filming too and such nice country. It was such a shame that the camera battery discharged on the next flight. That footage would have been even better I reckon.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Golden hour right there! Awesome footage guys! Where you running any stabilization on board?

Very nice stable flight there claudio . Specs please ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(03-07-2012, 09:14 AM)Claudius Wrote:  It's further away than even PEMAC Smile It was near Boggabri - about 7 hours N/NW.

You wouldn't want to forget the transmitter.. D'oh!!

(03-07-2012, 04:00 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Lovely bit of filming too and such nice country. It was such a shame that the camera battery discharged on the next flight. That footage would have been even better I reckon.

Yeah, I'd say so!

Subsequent flight the next day saw me avoiding combat with a wedge-tailed eagle easily the size of the aircraft, followed by Jason keeping the X-8 in thermals with a wind-milling prop. Broke the motor mount after finding the one rock in the field on landing... and no footage to prove it after the GoPro battery ran out 30 seconds into the flight (must have discharged into the laptop USB port it was plugged into overnight Icon_evil )

(03-07-2012, 09:02 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Golden hour right there! Awesome footage guys! Where you running any stabilization on board?

I was well pleased when I saw the footage! Smile No stabilization/UAV module in there yet. All pure RC.

(03-07-2012, 09:16 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  Very nice stable flight there claudio . Specs please ?

Hacker A30-10XL v2. Castle ICE 75 ESC. 11x8 folding prop. 4S batteries (only 3300mAh on board when that footage was taken).

Awesome acceleration/vertical performance with this setup (as one disapppointed wedge-tailed eagle can attest to) - needs maybe 100W to cruise, with 600W available when required.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Here's some video of the place where we stayed, Taken with my cheepy turnigy camera mounted on the 1/2 Artemis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh0qUfuWBsA

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

As usual, nice footage Jason with great music. Love the location.

Not sure if this belongs in the "Videos: Other" or "Videos: Flying" thread, but here's a video of something I've been up to:
Inside the plane is an autopilot, running a hardware-in-the-loop simulation against the flight simulator on the laptop. What this means is that the flight sim on the laptop tells the autopilot "where" it is, how fast it is going etc, and the autopilot sends back control inputs for the flight simulator to apply. Rinse, repeat.

In other words, the autopilot is essentially flying the flight sim.

And this is being controlled by the iPad app I've built, which is sending mission commands to the autopilot wirelessly via the radio modem - in effect telling the autopilot where it should fly to. Geeky enough?

In real life, this would translate to being able to throw a plane in the air, and just pointing on the map where you want it to go. But where's the fun in that, right? Smile

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Very classy, Claudio Thumbup very nice indeed Smile
... but I still haven't seen your root-locus plots for the autopilot and where are those gain and phase margins? Wink

Steve Murray

Me likey ThumbupThumbup

hey claudio , can i borrow that program for my bronze wings test , i'll just take the batteries out of the tx . Biggrin

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Thanks guys.

And I should also thank ConcreteTurtle for the encouragement, excellent cinematography, and a seemingly endless supply of access hatch commentary.

(03-08-2012, 12:55 AM)smuzz Wrote:  ... but I still haven't seen your root-locus plots for the autopilot and where are those gain and phase margins? Wink

I'm finding that there is unbounded amplification of the transfer functions at the Nyquist frequencies that will require a dyadic transformation of the near periodic orbits into a non-linear state space representation of Hamming codes. (shh, I won't tell anyone this is all nonsense if you don't Smile )

(03-08-2012, 08:22 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  hey claudio , can i borrow that program for my bronze wings test , i'll just take the batteries out of the tx . Biggrin

Sure thing. One problem though - video doesn't mention it, but the transmitter is actually active and used to switch between flight modes, nudge the plane while in auto etc - if you switched the transmitter off it'd go into failsafe, fly back over to you and circle your head... which your test instructor might have some pointed questions about Smile

I say hold tight for the guys who are trying to get these things to do aerobatics autonomously to finish up... and just go straight to Gold Wings instead Thumbup

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

Very Nice Claudio, !!

I can vouch for the fact that it works in the air as well. I've seen it. It's a very neat system! super impreassive !!

For your entertainment....

A week a go I was in Tasmania and had my first fly of a 4ch plane, a Escale Electroglide. The first flight was a bit shaky and ended in a low altitude stall. I learned when the little voice in your head says "come in now", it doesn't mean "go for another lap"

Two days later and a little glue I was up again... after a little stupidity with my old mate Phil's old 3S brushless ElectraFun camera plane and a rc truck... Skip to about 4 min to get to flying proper. As you can see, the EFun had a slight power out so I left my glide with him to become the new camera mule for his group.

Phil's mob down in Tasmania do put on the entertainments a bit... and a mild language warning Smile

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Something powered by Glow for a change ???

And of course the inevetable deadstick landing in the first minute.......Oh the smell of Caster

Windy day flying out west

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ygB6lp-Dro&feature=youtu.be

Some video of the Ian's Jpower Mirage fired from the pnumatic launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgL42TqxjGs

Very Nice

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko7xFAKifxM
Ron found a new way to launch his Funjet.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

If someone see's Ron, please tell him his lost glider needs to be picked up from Darren's (Or to call me)

That is AWSOME !!
I wonder if mine will do that ??

Very Clever Never actually thought of doing that but my Skyfuns were prob too Heavy.

Well Done Ron

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yes I have to agree .... never thought of that!
Very clever thinking Ron.
I'd be guessing but I don't think anyone has launched an aircraft of that type like that before. Gotta be a first. Go Ron, Go PRCAC and Go Australia...

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I've done it back in the early days, its all fun until it decided to tip and launch toward the pilot box. You have very little control for the first few seconds Wink

The trick now is to land it vertically! Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(21-08-2012, 11:33 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  The trick now is to land it vertically! Smile
Yes - I'd pay money to see someone do that!

Steve Murray

(20-08-2012, 11:36 PM)helijeli Wrote:  Ron found a new way to launch his Funjet.

Very cool - I had to watch it a few times to check it was real Smile

(22-08-2012, 01:16 AM)smuzz Wrote:  
(21-08-2012, 11:33 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  The trick now is to land it vertically! Smile
Yes - I'd pay money to see someone do that!

Challenge accepted - get out your chequebook.

No, it's not a SkyFun. Nor is it a video. Nor is it actually ready to fly just yet (photo is a bit staged - couple more nights of work left in it). Ok, so I guess your chequebook is safe. Smile

But it will take-off and land vertically like a quadcopter (that's the theory at least!) and transition to and from flying as a wing in-between... all controlled by an electronics board (micro-controller, sensors etc) that's maybe the size of your thumb.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

I like it !!