Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Videos: RC Flying

Thanks Jason.

Paul, good thought thanks.
Tomorrow I'll put it on a stand that keeps the gear free to move, then move all the controls while exercising the gear switch to see if that recreates the problem. If so, good (or bad). If not, bad (or good). Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Interesting issue with the gear. Nicely done with the test flight there BB.

Gday Dave

Did you note the obvious editing parts where Andrew has removed the loops, inverted hovering, tick tocks and funnel moves?

There is also a suspicious "mown" section of grass that seems to closely match Airwolf's rotor diameter?
Biggrin
Cheers
Rob B

Rob, Shhhhhh! They wouldn't have noticed until you.....
BTW, the grass is cut square, not round. Explain that.

Anyway, update on yesterday..
I did as Paul suggested and the gear still operated normally with all the servos moving.
So I thought I'd take her out for another fly to see what happens.
Rob, remember when you said you wanted "it" videoed......well, I had my daughter video for me & just as well. You see, um, what happened was, well, er, ah, I guess I better not beat around the bush or skirt the issue in any way shape or form, or try to tell you by not telling you.....

Umm, the heli got airborne nicely..hovered for a few moments while I adjusted some trims..I then selected gear up...then it happened..I have no explanation..but..for some reason..the gear came up!!
woohoo. So, I flew her around for a bit, lowered the gear & landed safely & smoothly. Wink

Now..get your heart back to normal & move on with your life Smile

Yes, it is videoed, will be online soon & no, I have no idea why the gear decided to work.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Gday Andrew

That post was well written, I was almost going to launch into a Gaz like string of expletives. Lol
Glad things are resolving themselves and you have had another good flight. From my perspective it is great to be able to see her fly, when I am on the sticks I am semi shitting myself and quite literally shaking so watching your vids is nice and relaxing. Great to see a top heli flown by a top pilot!!

Cheers
Rob B

must have been a wiring connection? Perplexing but it seems sorted eh?

Not an Expert, but curious how much throw % you have on the gear as from personal experience you need to up the throw on gear to max eg 100% to 125 + % both ways

But you probably done this already.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hey pal! Back of with the condasending Gaz like expletives or you'll get some real Gaz expletives.
I think you will find that the location of the endpoints for the gear are quite critical.
They are run by one big servos and if you are not carful with the positioning of the end points you will either have the servo rip the airframe to pieces or not have them set in the lock position. I know this because I torn the servo tray out while doing the original setup.
Glad to see the mighty Airwolf in the sky.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Thanks for the ideas guys. The servo travel appears to be ok. Not too little, Steve, and not too much, Gaz.

Anyway, here is today's effort, the subject of my previous post which nearly caused Rob to say some rude words. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYfIVH9ojc0

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Top stuff BB.

Hi Andrew.
Here is the link to the guys I imported the Airwolf from. They are $250.00 I think the importing cost was about $65.00.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/600-air...-5399.html

Cheers Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Thanks Gaz, I've passed the info on.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Here are two maiden video's of the HK Durafly Corsair and the F-18 Starmax Kit I picked up at the Christmas party.
My son took them on my phone today, I managed to fly in the few breaks between the rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnVgmXXP3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXRgjdZ2j_I

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

I did some mods to the elevator on my Skyartec 182, it proved to be superior! As you can see I was doing some major rolls and turns, I was pushing it hard and It performed well. Enjoy! Btw landing is improving :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UM-y2LFti4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X4GaCMIgGU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In the Hanger AKA Bedroom....
- Cessna 182 Skyartec 1x Red1x Blue
-Durafly Cessna 310 1.1m
-Twister Police Helicopter 4CH
-105cm 3CH Heli
-FMS F6F Hellcat 1.4m
-Lanyu Texan AT-6 1.4m
-FMS Alpha Jet
-FMS F16 Falcon
-HK EP-Pitts 1.0m

- Tx Dx8

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid Lol

NICE VIDS . MINES BEEN RUBBISH . have stripped the nose wheel servo . they are $2 servos , the clevisis are rubbish , the control wires flex , the wing stabelisers had to be reglued as they just popped out . the servo plate i ripped out and re made, its on going cheap rubbish , costing time just to get right .the transmitter was rubbish , bought a DXI6 and receiver , to get some decent trimming and control setup , the undercarraige was a joke and had to be strengthened before its maiden flight ,and yet its still nastily cheap , yours looks good and hasn't lost its wings , so appears to be not as nastily built as mine was .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Did you buy the plane from HobbyKing if so they are bought very cheap, and thus made very cheap. HobbyKing I feel buy the rejects from Skyartec when I bought mine everything was out, specially the wings with the silly tape to hold them in, I should take a photo of the trim setup on the plane the ailerons are so trimmed out to the the point the left side is up and right side down it has to be like that because of how the wings were hinged on with the tape, it looks laughable but had to do it, and it's very stable in the air, your right nose wheel is rubbish, each landing it needs to be pulled part, having saying that I bought straight from Skyartec and had a similar problem with wings just not as bad, I don't think your building is an issue, not at all, I feel you got the worst of the batch :-(

-Durafly Cessna 310 1.1m
-105cm 3CH Heli
-FMS F6F Hellcat 1.4m
-Lanyu Texan AT-6 1.4m
-FMS Alpha Jet
-FMS F16 Falcon
-HK EP-Pitts 1.0m

- Tx Dx8

Odd. I've got a HK Skyartec Cessna (it was the earlier model without the flaps) and it's been perfect out of the box (albeit, I've never used the landing gear, which did look too flimsy to be useful). One of the few HK models I've bought that have been.

Heck, even the original electrics worked ok - only thing I've swapped out were the servos (and only then because it is now in service as a UAV, and the 915Mhz telemetry module was causing the stock servos to chatter).

Bought it as my first trainer, but ended up learning on a PZ Stinson. When I first flew the Cessna, I was surprised at how well behaved it was. No issues with asymmetric trim - all surfaces nice and level in the trimmed state.

Guess it's just luck of the draw sometimes...

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Yes your right, with the tapes hinge it's really based on luck on how the wing will be. But these Skyartec planes are amazing for the price and what it can achieve in the air, speed/rolls/loops etc it's an awesome plane I have two already and looking at getting another $85 delivered from HK is a fantastic price, 3 cheers for skyartec, Hip hip hooray! Hip hip Hooray! Hip hop hooray!! Hehe

-Durafly Cessna 310 1.1m
-105cm 3CH Heli
-FMS F6F Hellcat 1.4m
-Lanyu Texan AT-6 1.4m
-FMS Alpha Jet
-FMS F16 Falcon
-HK EP-Pitts 1.0m

- Tx Dx8

Feel the need for speed ???

Have a go at this Dynamic soaring, no motor and up to 400Ks That's quick!!
Just need the right hill Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16ZaNI4

and here's another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0hrjqU15I

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I saw that video about two years ago. Mighty fast planes.

As some of you know, Rob did not get to see his Airwolf do any aerobatics. Soooooo, in between showers and wind gusts today(although a couple of gusts hit while flying), I thought I'd make Rob's dream come true. Well....one of his dreams anyway. Smile

BTW, Rob, the gear is cactus. It needs some work because the thing that is loose needs tightening, and it won't tighten. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1aUQmQhLk

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Did you dial in some expo BB?

Yeah I did Dave. 50% rudder, 30% the rest as you suggested. It was a bit less sensitive, however, with the gusts it was hard to tell any real diff. But I'm sure there was.

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

G'day Andrew

Another point to add to your useless list, airwolfs left main gear.
RB

Rob, this is a copy/paste from my recent reply to your post on my YouTube version of this video. I have re-posted it here for the info of others, and to elicit any ideas.

Quote:G'day BB

I think I can keep the mech to one servo. As she is slightly tail heavy I am thinking of refabricating the front pivots out of aluminium and having some heavier duty carbon rods back to the main gear?

Cheers

RobB

aviaterred 1 hour ago

Yeah that would help. One of the probs is the arm that connects to the nose gear. The grub screw is stripped & won't tighten enough. Maybe no "flat" was filed into the shaft it's on. The is a bit of force required to retract to main gear from their over centre position (which in fact, locks them down s they don't collapse with no servo power), so as the servo is pushing on the nose gear arm to retract everything, it comes loose. Zap has helped temporarily. TBC.........

brotherblonde 7 minutes ago

@aviaterred PT 2. Don't think carbon rods are necessary because when the gear extends fully, they are all past the vertical...ie, nose gear points fwds, mains point back, so the weight of the heli keeps them locked down, even with servo unpowered. This means there is no tendency to bend the main gear rods. The prob you & Gaz had was the gear was never fully extended, so it tended to collapse under weight with no servo, hence bending the rods. Hope that makes sense. BB.

brotherblonde 2 minutes ago

ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

G'day Andrew

Yep that all makes sense. And modifies my plans significantly.
Cheers
Rob B

Found this on YouTube this evening

It's almost as good as the one of the bloke with the ceiling fan

with some great quotes like "that's the end of that plane" and
"you don't see that every day"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANeGWKYSr8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(28-01-2012, 10:53 PM)secant0give Wrote:  with some great quotes like "that's the end of that plane" and
"you don't see that every day"

"Oh, it's on fire" and "I'm not bleeding" were pretty good quotes too.

F for flying, but A+ for perseverance. Thumbup

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Well found Jason. I liked the final comment "all right I didnt break it" one of the rare comments I am able to give my other half when I get home from flying

This gentleman has attained copper wings status.
Probably contributed to a worldwide shortage of Corsairs at the time too.
Bit sad though because he makes just about every mistake that you can avoid by joining a club.
Cheers
Rob B