Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aerobatic Maneouvres and Techniques

I have asked these questions, received many answers & when I speak to newbies at the field, try to pass on some of the basics I have learnt.
Better it comes from people more experienced than me, but sometimes when we start reading up on things, we lack terminology knowledge & thusly some useful info gets lost in translation.
I found this site early in my progression in this hobby & is still useful in learning aerobatics.
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/
Hope you newbies find this site as useful as I did,
Cheers

Thanks for the link Wayne. The day we stop learning is the day we give the hobby away.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I actully posted this thread as a result of a question I received at the field on Sunday. In the site'e Plane Aerobatics menu selection, there are video clips from a RealFlight sim which include videos (on the RealFlight rc flight simulator), including close-ups of the Tx stick inputs and the airplane's response. This is the site I was talking about.
Phoenix also has the ability to display the controls on screen and I have seen a clip in our forum of Jason flying so presume recordings can be posted on here.
I was thinking this thread could be useful for instructors & learners at various levels by posting clips of basic & advanced maneuvres. I cant work out how to do it & dont possess the skill levels to be posting good examples.
Any further thoughts on this guys?

(12-02-2013, 06:52 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  I actully posted this thread as a result of a question I received at the field on Sunday. In the site'e Plane Aerobatics menu selection, there are video clips from a RealFlight sim which include videos (on the RealFlight rc flight simulator), including close-ups of the Tx stick inputs and the airplane's response. This is the site I was talking about.
Phoenix also has the ability to display the controls on screen and I have seen a clip in our forum of Jason flying so presume recordings can be posted on here.
I was thinking this thread could be useful for instructors & learners at various levels by posting clips of basic & advanced maneuvres. I cant work out how to do it & dont possess the skill levels to be posting good examples.
Any further thoughts on this guys?

That's a good Idea Wayne, I recorded that video like a screen shot, to get it into a format that I could upload to youtube was quite an awkward thing to it and it didn't grab the sound either.

You can record a flight with phoenix but it's only in phoenix's native format, it's not able to be posted up like that.

I managed to find this group of helpfull tutorials on youtube. They are not all relevent to the gold wings standard but some are and all are good to know. There are plenty more I'll post some more up as I find them

Cuban eight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aodWG9N59VM

Spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-PecAilUQ&list=UUr_-AweBMZoZnrxm12G7yWQ&index=35
4 point roll not a gold wings manouver but a good one to practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGLaeRhsdQ&list=UUr_-AweBMZoZnrxm12G7yWQ&index=42

Immelman turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6RNWE0WKQ&list=UUr_-AweBMZoZnrxm12G7yWQ&index=50

Tho' His deminstration of the figure of 8 is not quite right

Stall turn This looks good and it's good practice for using rudder
It especially looks good if you combine it with a roll of the vertical climb up and one on the way down as well. even better with a 1/4 on the way up and a 1/4 roll back on the way down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_9XlU_kNNQ&list=UUr_-AweBMZoZnrxm12G7yWQ&index=57

Knife edge spin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_wMZ35hBs&list=UUr_-AweBMZoZnrxm12G7yWQ&index=61

One thing that should be mentioned the manouvers look so much better when done parrellel to the strip and centered about the pilot area. For example if you were doing 3 rolls from left to right you would fly down the strip past the far left end, do a procedure turn to lign up with the strip fly back straight and level, parrellel to the strip. Then begin the first roll to the left of the pilot area the second roll would be centered infront of the pilot area and the thurd roll would be the same distance to the right as the first roll was to the left.

Similar with the cuban eight the cross over point at the center of the eight should be centered in front of the pilot area and the rolls should occure on the crossover point. It looks great if you can do that and keep it all in line.

The real trick is to think about setting up the plane in the right place to start each manouver not just do them where ever the plane happens to be at the time. It really makes all the difference if you are practicing these manouvers to make a big effort to put the plane in the same starting possition for each the manouver each time. Equally important is to practice them in both directions from right to left and from left to right.

For example I practice figure of eights most mornings I fly before work. I fly out to the left of the field, procedure turn fly straigh back parrellel to an imaginary strip, past the pilot area then all around the eight and exit the manouver parrellel to the strip flying off to the right. I climb verticle do a stall turn, fly back down and fly the same figure eight but this time from right to left. Then I fly out of the manouver parrellel to the strip again and stall turn to come back. Now it's time for an out side figure eight left to right, stallturn and then the outside figure of eight right to left. Once I do a nice one of each I move on to something else.

But this morning 'cause it's raining I'm typing about it Frown

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks for that Jason and it would appear thet you have aimed it at my own personal endeavours and for this I thank you.
Whilst I obviously would benefit from what I suggested for the advanced level maneuvres, my intention was more a follow up of what I was discussing with a newby on Sunday.
What I was more hoping would be included in this post were snippets from a Phoenix produced video like what you previously posted with the addition of controller in the corner like what appeared in the site I posted. Unfortunately I was not aware of the complexities involved. Oh well back to the drawing board Biggrin

thanks for this thread guys . Jason thanks for the vids . i couldnt help myself to get on the sim and practice them LOL .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Here's another one Slow roll with mode one stick movements shown and an immelman turn

http://youtu.be/DfzUfdtzyLM

The roll could be a bit slower and I should up the rates a bit so the stick movements are more pronounced, but it's a start Smile

It may be available in 1/2 hour the upload it's still going as I type

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Impressive stuff Jason, you are a legend. This is exactly what I had hoped could be produced. I thought lowering the rates would mean more pronounced stick movements. Perhaps decreasing the simulation speed would also assist the viewer to switch focus from plane to controller at various points.
This thread is becoming an excellent referenced for beginners & intermediates to improve skills.
Thanks again Jason.

Thank's Wayne, yes your right I should decrease the rates to make the stick movements more pronounced but thinking about it, If I do that it makes it less realistic

Here's a Cuban 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9TErCSovk

Thanks again Jason, more legendary stuff. Thumbup I follow your reasoning about keeping it realistic but on the other side of the coin, sometimes the little tickles of elevator can be missed with normal elevator throws.
There has been much talk about landing approaches with quick planes of recent. Perhaps a clip on here of final landing circuit & landing the Deuces Wild might help example the discussions. Sorry to create work on here for you Frown, but I am having difficulty emulating the master Mad

Here you go Wayne Here's landing the DW with the rates reduced for more stick throws, no flaps
http://youtu.be/8T61pFXJjSw

should be up soon

I dont know about others, but I find this stuff invaluable Jason & give you ThumbupThumbupThumbupThumbupThumbup for your efforts. I have seen many flying skill questions on various threads before and answered in this manner should provide the necessary tool to practice ourselves on the sim. If a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video clip worth. Smile

This link is intersesting because it has some very good reading, it also demostrates the right control inputs but the guy at the controls flies Mode 2, what a maggot!
http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/learn/awesomepilot/
Anyway it is a good training aid!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Nice link Gazz some really good infor Here !!

Thanks Gazz, good to have this thread used as a means of getting general info to advance skills rather than a question & answer thread like Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike.

I was about to merge this thread there, thats where it belongs

(19-02-2013, 06:27 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I was about to merge this thread there, thats where it belongs

I tend to agree - or re-title this thread to something like "Aerobatic Maneouvres and Techniques" which seems to be what it's turned in to?

Steve Murray

Good idea

I originally intended this thread to be aimed at newbies to the hobby as a point of reference for them to get the basics of flying. My original post included a link to a site that explained basic terminologies in layman terms. It did however, also give real flight clips of some aerobatics. My requesting posting of similar Phoenix clips was intended to be of basic circuit turns which was missing from that site and I thought that would have been helpful to newbies. This request was misinterpreted as to be for my benefit in my own progression and digressed accordingly. I appreciate Jason's intentions and in now way am critical of his efforts.