Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

Cold a blow manican filled with Helium be made to fly like a blimp?

Could a blow manican filled with Helium be made to fly like a blimp?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Guys

After burning out my scorpion 2221-10 3000kv on 4s with 6.5 prop

When i Got home and started to look at all the motors i had in my box of goodies and was thinking rather than high kv but low kv like my rudder Stryker with the 1050kv 10x10 Prop with 70 db output that i quickly put Together for the Pemac swap meet.

And i Realized that i Had a Motor that i Bought for my Typhoon form Hobby King many weeks ago but they shipped me the Wrong Kv and discontinued it. was supposed to be 900kv but it was 1450kv

Discussion
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=13922
.gif C3536-900_t.gif Size: 11.57 KB  Downloads: 728

So with That i mounted the motor to My Stryker, Fitted a 8x9 Prop (Yes a 8x9 Prop) did a Amp Test on 4s lipo
Bench Test
4s 2200ma 40c Turnigy
1107 Watts
78 amps Max

Did a Test Flight Locally and it scream Speed and Verticals, Pushed It heaps and after 5 Min came Down and Motor Temp Cool.
It Flew Relatively Quiet so i did a Db Test and it Came out To 78 DB worst case Scenario which is Nice to Know.

Edit
Been trying to Find more Info on motor to see what its Rated but i guess i just keep flying it and see how it goes as it test flight seem promising, only time will tell

Edit 2 found Info Regarding Hobbykings Motor Disappearance

http://skyhobby.en.alibaba.com/product/3...motor.html

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Brushless motor Model
C3536-1450kv
RPM/V 1450
No. of cells 2- 4S
Max. efficiency 89%
Input Voltage 7.4 - 14.8v Max ( Fully recharged 4S battery may over 14.8v )
Motor Weight 107g
Weight 170g
Idle Current (A) 2.8
Current capacity 30A
Internal Resistance 32mohn
Dimensions (diameter. x length) 35mm x 36mm
Shaft diameter 4mm

Package Content :

•1 x C3536-KV1450 Outrunner Brushless Motor

•3 pair x golden connector

•motor accessories

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Gday Steve

You are a menace to motors. Biggrin
I think its time you investigated micro turbines. Thumbup

Cheers
Rob B

(09-07-2011, 07:01 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Steve

You are a menace to motors. Biggrin
I think its time you investigated micro turbines. Thumbup

Cheers
Rob B

Lol Rob, Your Right Motors Don't Like me as a Push them past there limits.

Heh Kieran what's The Chance or You Sending a photo of the Rudder setup On The Stryker Q in its extreme positions as Just Trying To work Out Putting Rudder on My Speedster Stryker and not sure where the props sit in comparison when the Rudder closes in Front of Prop.
As My Old Stryker Rudder Setup i pushed forward the vertical Fins, and with this Setup i Thinking of cutting square and Adding Balsa Rudders to the End.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hmmm ....

The motor is rated to 30A and you are flying at 78A peaks. Yeah baby!!

It's only a Serving Suggestion Wink

Yeah Dave I Know, 30 amps.
But Heh Test flight the motor came down cool and that was quite a few Full throttle punches in the air during flight.

Will See Tomorrow after a couple of Hard flights , How It handles.
As well as My Customed Rudder stryker Wannabe 27q modded Stryker Goes too Tomorrow.? with its 27Q Mods( Till i Can Afford the Real Deal 27Q).

Steve

Gday All

This thread seems appropriate to notify of a project I have been working on. Reason being that the thread focus seems to be on frying things and/ or "irresponsible" amount of power.

I have a Sniper EP that was designed for a 26/12 motor driving a 8*5 prop. As I only had a 35/36 motor around I decided to upgrade. The motor box hangs off aft of the fuselage and when I had everything sorted out noted that it took 2* 2200Mah 3s batteries to balance. Aside from baulking at running on 6s there was no space left for y leads in the battery bay. So back to the drawing board. Confused

The motor box and motor was remounted inside the fuselage and reinforced with carbon fibre strip and rod thus moving weight forward. This balanced perfectly with a 4s 2200 nanotech in the battery bay plus left enough space to be able to connect the battery to the esc and close the hatch. All looking good! Thumbup

Powertrain is 4s 2200 nanotech, plush 60 sentry esc to the 35/36 motor running a 10*7 prop. The prop just fits between the tail booms.

Here's the good bit that proves I have been hanging around Kev and Steve too much. Run ups today gave the following performance.

On the bench WOT it draws 15.7V, 35.61amps, 569.1W. Nothing earth shattering there however all up weight is only 900g. Common rule of thumb is 250 to 300W per Kg equals "High Performance". Biggrin

The airframe from an area rule perspective is very slippery so I suspect performance could be enough to take on the Strykers and Funjets.

Here's hoping for a good weekend next week so she can maiden, no way I am going to do this so heads up to Kieran who will hopefully help me and do the honours.

I will post some photos when able!

Cheers
Rob B

Hi Rob
Sounds like the Setup should be Fine, Curious what the Kv is on the 35/36 1000kv ?

Test Today

My Glassed Speedster Stryker with Hobbyking 1450 Kv motor and 8x9 prop is a Winner, absolutely fast and cool after every flight.

My Customed Rudder Stryker with Mods was a treat with Blenders, spins etc was so much fun, with many Flights in the wind and lots of Fun.
Unfortunately the Wind got the better of me and as i pulled out and turned i got just too close to the power line tower below the lines and clipped the tower.
(Good excuse for a stryker Q, i Think)

Steve Smile

Gday Steve

1100KV motor.
Bummer re the power lines mate, did you manage to land her ok or did she get trashed?

Cheers
Rob B

Yeah i Reckon That should be Fine 1100kv.

No Repair, it was my Old stryker Frame setup that was warped anyway as on high speed it would pull badly to one side, thats why i have my glasses speedster stryker for speed Rush, But it was aerobatic.
But Like Kieran Said The Stryker Q is Designed for Aerobatics so looking Forward to Giving That a Flogging.

P.s Jason and Pete
Link For the Blue Motor as individual item sale and stacks of other motors like 3536 etc range from Hong Kong and Cheap just ordered a motor from them.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?...4001100052

https://www.leaderhobby.com/list.asp?type=searchlist

Steve

Cheers mate, also ordered a few motors i've been waiting for aswell. Found that i stressed my lipo a little to much today and now the battery wont balance.

(10-07-2011, 04:50 PM)samste Wrote:  P.s Jason and Pete
Link For the Blue Motor as individual item sale and stacks of other motors like 3536 etc range from Hong Kong and Cheap just ordered a motor from them.

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?...4001100052

https://www.leaderhobby.com/list.asp?type=searchlist

Steve

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Thanks Steve Smile
Looking at that link now

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Sometimes when you Wake, Dreams Do Come True Biggrin

Steve Smile

Rofl

Yeh ........ crack yourself up Steve.
But be very careful mate, some dreams bite.
And that one looks like its got attitude to burn.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

After Maiden Today i Decided to Give the Stryker Q a Make Over for Better Visibility of orientation when Up High.
With a Nice Signature Fluorescent Orange Rather than the Red and Blue Stripe.

Other Mods Upgraded to 80amp Speedy, and 7x6 Prop, New Velcro for lipo Compartment area..

Gday All

Hoping I can get some tips here.
I have de-covered the TwinStar as phase one of her makeover.
As expected there are bits and pieces left behind all over the airframe, the outer clear covering has some off but the colour layer has still adhered.
How do I get this all off?

BTW Stryer looks v cool Steve.

Cheers
Rob B

You could try hitting it with a heat gun and scraping it off, watch the heat though!
or you can try your covering iron up on full power and heat it that way.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Ok Gazz thanks for that, will give her a nuking with my iron.

Cheers
Rob b

failing that, a light sanding

Gday Gazz/ KV

As expected my iron needs a major cleaning however got most of the residual film off. From the pace I set yesterday I will be sanding most of today. Paranoid

I am aiming for a nice smooth finish, think Gazz and Steve M highly photoshopped and you get the idea. All the current bumps and wrinkles would just create too much drag. Biggrin

Cheers
Rob B

Parkzone Stryker Q Motor Modification

Just Came In Mail C3536 1450kv from Leadershobby

Mounted nicely straight in, Fitted an APC 8x6 Prop (just Fits)
Quick Test Flight and Amp Test 52 amps max.
Test Flight Very Nice Stacks of Thrust and Punch and good Top Speed.
Best of all it's alot Quieter just under 70db

Steve Smile

That looks pretty smart Steve, whats the maximum amp draw (recommended of course) on the motor, I'm curious, why didn't you go for another Scorpion?
My brother has had his Skyfun for 2 weeks now with the same setup as mine (Scorpion 2221-8 on 4S with 4.75 x 4.75 prop with plush 80 ESC) and he loves it.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(18-07-2011, 06:29 PM)gbanger Wrote:  That looks pretty smart Steve, whats the maximum amp draw (recommended of course) on the motor, I'm curious, why didn't you go for another Scorpion?
My brother has had his Skyfun for 2 weeks now with the same setup as mine (Scorpion 2221-8 on 4S with 4.75 x 4.75 prop with plush 80 ESC) and he loves it.

They Recommend 32 amps but I'm running this Same motor in my Speedster Stryker on 4s with 8x9 prop and it screams speed and comes down cool every time and it pushes close to 70 amps in the air.
In the Stryker Q I'm running only 3s and 8x6 prop so less stress on motor again.

I Still love the Scorpion Setups as there a tried and Proven setup and fast and i have a couple ready to go in, but i'm enjoying Playing around with Low Kv Setups at the moment with a little less amps And they have such a powerful punch in the air with the larger props that can be fitted when you use low kv motors.
As well it's a lot quieter so i can fly it anywhere any field anytime.

Steve Smile

Good point mate.
I'm particularly interested in getting a high speed low KV big power Skyfun setup for other venues.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Yeh I'm Enjoying playing with Low kv Setup's looking at a 1050 kv with 12x8 prop setup for Skyfun Ressurect

Still waiting for my delivery of motors from LeadersHobby, contacted them on the live chat-line and apparently their air-mail is through Swisspost.
My order left Singapore on the 12th, arrived in Zurich on the 18th and now headed for Oz i hope........How does this shipping method make any sense?????

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

It's a crazy shipping method.
6 days to get from Singapore to Zurich?
God knows how long from there to Sydney, can't believe that was
deliberate. Guess they didn't know where Sydney was.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

It's a tax write off thing
The wonders of Swiss post... Have only ever had one HK shipment come that way and we wont be doing it again...