Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

Steve,
What was the name of the material you got from Officeworks
to make your decals for the funjet?
Also how did you ensure that the colours did not run when you applied them to the model
thanks

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Hi Paul

Pic Below Transparent sticker from office works and spray from Bunnings.

I just printed as many pics etc as i could fit on one sheet. Then printed it out.
Let the Ink dry for 5 min then sprayed the whole sheet with the sealer very thick (my sheet looked wet but it dryed quick) and let it dry for about 30min or so. The spray did not make ink run.
Then cut out each Decal and Presto, Then i just stuck them on the Plane.
If you wanted afterwards you could do a clear coat of polyurethane over the top when they are stuck on the plane.
(P.s Tried the polyurethane as a sealer but brushing on made ink run, but after sealer was on it was ok to use)

Just Rememeber use the sealer spray only on the Transparent sticker sheet only not on the foam It will eat foam.

Here are some web sites for inspiration, there is suprising alot of stuff on the web.
you could use all sorts of clip art etc

http://www.skyhighhobby.com/airplane-decals . Quite a few on this site to view.

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en...e&resnum=4

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgur...N%26um%3D1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.
Here is another link for you with many pages of decal artwork.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029
When are you leaving for Hervey Bay?

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Just won this on Ebay, Just shy off 2m wing span.
Plenty of wing space for slithers of solar cells :geek: , so she wont have to come down till i want to go home. Lol
Looking forward to getting this up in the air hopefully when i get back.

Also
A-10 is getting a major over haul as well with some added features to ensure Flight control is easier and found out that original main wing angles were skewed out of whack when i carbon re inforced originally.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=6755

.jpg ViewImageCAF671L1.jpg Size: 17.99 KB  Downloads: 318
.jpg ViewImageCA5WBM6A.jpg Size: 15.99 KB  Downloads: 312
.jpg ViewImageCA6PIJKO.jpg Size: 10.16 KB  Downloads: 316

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

hey nice glider steve, and im interested to see how that gyro thingy works.. does it automatically make inputs in your aeilerons to help centre?

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

I used a manual adjust Gyro on my Mod Island hopper wing for windy conditions a long while back and it work not bad only down fall was adjusting % rate
had to be done on gyro.
When you inputed via aileron stick this would by pass gyro control and when aileron stick left untouched the gyro would adjust level flight Dependant on % rate.
Where as this Gyro has remote so i can use my King max Transmitter Gyro potentiometer knob on aux channel to adjust rate in flight.

Can use on Elevator as well,, have seen on you tube many with elevator gyro control on gliders

Review
Quote:I tried this in my Glider for checking if it is working well and it performs very good! With a fast digital Servo you will get stable and well horizontal levelled fly performance on the elevator.

Review
Quote:Nice airplane gyro for the price. Very small and light. I used it to stabilize the ailerons (roll axis)on a couple of my foam park flyers and a pusher jet with excellent results, makes hand launching, flat turns and hovering much easier. Extra signal wire can be used to turn gyro on and off in flight using the gear channel and switch and adjust the gain of the gyro remotely using the ATV of the gear channel, or if you have a radio with a potentiometer on an auxilary channel you can adjust gain in flight. I had to turn up the master gain to about 75%, but that depends on your application. Mount gyro with Industrial Strength Velcro in case you need to remove it for service or rotate it 180 degrees for correct servo direction. Check out rcsuperpowers on youtube.com for tricks and ideas for using servos on airplanes.

wow thats interesting will like to have a look next time i see you down the field.. you coming saturday?

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi Kev
Doing an all nighter tonight with Paperwork as I'm actually Flying out in morning with the family on a Holiday so wont be done the field for the next couple of weekends. Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin
But will keep updated via laptop for work commitments and prcac forum on happenings on the quieter nights. :ugeek:

Steve

nice mate have a great holiday with the family will catch up soon to check it out when your back Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

A-10 Reborn , hopefully all kinks taken out and ready for action.
New home made Decals.

very nice Steve,
Love the decals
Hope we get some good weather to fly it on the weekend

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Glider build started as finally decided motor type to put in, as it is very hard to change once body halves are glued together (have to cut out to replace)

Couple of Pictures of Glider Build.
Body halves glued together Motor and prop on, Tail and rudder glued.
The A-10 looks tiny next to this Giant

wow that thing does have a good span..!

looks like that motor is there to stay.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Glider is all finished, With control gear all installed and adjusted, gyro on elevator with adjustment and on/off via transmitter main wing attachment with elastic band hooks to keep wings in tight with movement for hard landings.
Maybe some Paint and maybe some more decals.

Not sure about wing tips as i bought bright orange paint to paint the wing tip ends about 8 inches from end of tip back to center of glider both sides ? Any Thoughts, was thinking would be good for visibilty up so high. Going to give it ago anyhow.

Steve Smile

Orange wing tips should give you good visibility.
How high are you expecting to go? Smile
Don't forget we have a 400 ' ceiling down at the field. Wink
How are you going to launch this? Bungee or hand?

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Paul wrote
Quote:How are you going to launch this? Bungee or hand?
Hi Paul

Planning to be able to do both as i have some bungee cord i used for soccer that will hopefully work well.
Orange Tips Turned out well Just Needs a second coat.

Steve

looking good steve, i like the tips Wink

also looking forward to seeing a glider launched off the bungie ..

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Yep looks great.
Should be able to see that ok. Smile

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

New Addition To Fleet Picked up very cheap.
Will Keep this Stock Standard

Only mod I suggest is black duct tape along all leading edges and on the nose.

Gosh they look bright and clean when they don't have years of flying behind them Wink

great buy steve , thats an awesome deal :!:

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

JETIGER Ready to Fly Maiden

Some concerns are -
1. No Center of Gravity point Guide at all, with battery in very nose heavy.
2. Ailerons have no Hinge tape or Hinges just press thin foam of plane as hinge on underside, long term use will snap i think
3. Motor appears to be under powered doing bench test 278 watts (slow flyer), will probably swap out with My A-10 480 watt after stock flight
4 Not as strong foam construction as Funjet or stryker
5. all one color light orange yellow may make it difficult to see in sky which side is top

Steve Smile

will be good to see a new sillouhette in the sky tho steve, i do think it needs 600+ watts but thats just me Icon_twisted

im sure you will address that in due course Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks Kev

yeah will maiden a few times before rebuild

Found that the ART-TECH JETIGER is exactly the same as the hobby king version so downloaded the Artech model manual and found Centerer of Gravity which is where i thought it would be (same as funjet)
Though don't know if motor is the same in both as you tube clip of Art-Tech Model flys Fast.
(Love the land and take off at end of clip)

http://www.snhobbies.com/product_info.ph...cts_id=613

Steve Smile

There is probably mylar in the hinges but tape them up as a precaution. Also tape the leading edges!

Quote: by kizza42 » 17 Nov 2009, 21:57

There is probably mylar in the hinges but tape them up as a precaution. Also tape the leading edges!

Thanks Kieran for tip going to give it a fly this arvo hopefully.

Steve Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

Stryker Or Jetiger project Modifications not sure which one to use
More Incline to do it on Jetiger But it would be nice on Stryker.
(Folding Prop Front, and Pusher Prop on back)

My Current project is to be able to change brush less motors in flight.

Eg. Aux switch controls relay that swaps brush less motor load wires that
go to motor 1 and changes it to motor 2.
As i want to have prop motor at front and pusher motor at back and change between the two during Flight.

I have a switch that will energize the relay from transmitter from Hobby king.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=8833

I have the gear and know how to do this but cannot find a suitable relay
with three poles no/nc contacts.
the biggest i could find 10 amps.
(keeping in mind it has to be small and light weight to fit in rc plane

Both brush less motors draw 25-30 amps max on full throttle, this is my dilemma.

The Idea behind This is the Fun Of Course and to be able to Fly it as a quiet flyer as well as a screamer.
Currently i will Build as a Manual Change over between front and back motors Till i can Source Something that will be reliable
with the loads it will generate.

Steve Smile

Might as well just run 2 speedies as you'd proabably run into timing issues with 2 different motors. Your radio should have the mixing possible to handle it on a switch

I don't know how that would work as i want to be able use the throttle stick control for both motors not a dial or switch. ?
Are you talking mixing functions ?

steve Smile

Yeah, you could have a mix that would do that but I dunno about your radio. Also look at a relay on the low voltage servo side of the speed controllers maybe?