Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

Lipo Power In Action

Ended up using XT60 Connectors for lipos that i got.

Turnigy 6s 5000ma in Parallel running electric bike
Max amps draw 28 amps, Running current approx 10 amps with normal load flat road.

Goes Well, Just need a Cycle speedy next to see how fast it goes without pedaling, Goes quite Fast no where as near as fast as my old electric bike build many years ago that was running 72 volts at 68km/h till motor smoked.

Steve Wink

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Awesome!!!!

Me wanteee

Deal Extreme have wireless Speedo's for cheap

Gday Stephen
" 72 volts at 68km/h till motor smoked"

This explains many things Stephen, actually, it explains everything. Biggrin

Quick question, have you ever got your hands on something electrical and not eventually fried it? Lol

Bike looks cool mate, good job. Thumbup Leet

Cheers
Rob B

Just Did A Bike Ride Test on The Electric Bike and was Quite Surprised How Far It Goes.
Pedaling was a no no on this test.

Stats -
Battery - 6 Cells 10000ma lipo (2x 6s 5000ma in Parallel)
Distance - 23 kms (9km hill 8km down hill 6 km flat)

Auto shut off power to motor when lipo reached 3.6volts
Top Speed 25km on Flat
15-18 km on steep incline

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Sounds impressive.
What motor do you have and how are you controlling the speed?
That's probably the only way I'll ever be able to ride a bike now. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Paul it uses a thumd stick lever on handle bars that inputs to 24v 500 watt speedy but you could also use a motor bike style throttle as well.
There are many types of parts and kits out there to custom build to wy tou want.

Still Hoping To Take My mates Petrol Go Cart of His Hands as its covered in dust wasting away, That would be a nice electric Build Project using http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=14426

But My Next Project is More To Do With Flying ANd its Getting Back To workings on best way to do It.

ALL COMMENTS SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED AS NOT SURE WHICH IS THE BEST WAY TO DO IT ?

.bmp untitled 1.bmp Size: 29 KB  Downloads: 98

Are you looking for a superman or astronaut look?

How about a backpack - Buzz lightyear?
It gives you a reason for having the wings too. Smile
Now, as for the reason for having the doll?? Paranoid

.png buzz lightyear.png Size: 56.49 KB  Downloads: 1,103
.png buzz2.png Size: 15.59 KB  Downloads: 1,223

It is hard to base design criteria on cartoon characters but wingspan seems to = height of doll and AR is about 1:5 or 6.
"Your payload" looks relatively light to start with so you probably don't need to go too bulky.

The flapping feet might turn into random elevator inputs though.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Yes i Think its a Tricky one to get right as well as its a inflatable flexible frame where dealing with.

Kieran Did have a idea a while ago when i first started to tackle the job EDF, I'm For EDF but it may be a hard issue putting into place and mounting.

As for the doll, Bought solely for RC FLYING Lol Bought From China for $12-00 as they use blow up mannequins for clothes display in shops rather than plastic molded ones.

Love to get this setup and flying right for AUS DAY next Year
Steve Smile

maybe we could pull a stunt like this at aus day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s576N9GTVSY&feature=related

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Deciding to go motor and prop on each shoulder for Flying man, as take off and hover may be better control this way rather than edf s on back

Just trying to workout what size to go for.
Will be Running 3s 2200 std lipo for Flying man

So looking at something that will draw about 20 amps max per motor.
Thinking 1000 kv approx 9x4 prop approx

After Today Flying with New 4s Lipos i found that i burnt out my 80 amp speedy.

I Replaced my Speedy to a 100 amp speedy with 150 amp burst.

Well I think My old speedy was limiting the amps that it pushed to the Scorpion Motor as i recall it use to Push about 1000 watts.

WELL LOOK AT IT NOW BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin Watch out

Just Hope the Motor copes Now Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71QdtRf23MQ

Resurrected my old Mini Swift with Some Alterations for Better Gliding and Control, I Hope.

Just Need To add Some Night Lights For Flying Now.

Steve

Mini Swift With Night Lights

Reference Here:
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Imagine the BEC is the battery.

You need a common ground and signal but no V+

You could also just use the power Supply from main battery rather than separate battery for bec.
Just Solder pos/neg to Main Esc Pos/Neg. Thats It.

Keeping in Mind what does your Bec Voltage Work At.
Mine works up to 10s lipo, was using in 6s setup Skyfun with 200amp Esc

Steve
Resurrected My old Stryker Frame and did some Mods.

Emax 1100kv, 10x10 Prop 3s Lipo 40amp max output with 80amp speedy.
Sound Db output Tested at 72db and Thats with some inbalance of Prop.

New design Motor Mount and some new addition Rudder Control.

Hobbyking Pylon Racer has been Resurrected Today with new Alloy Motor Mount Front end Chopped In, Some Custom Reinforcing and Paint Job To Cover up all the Repairs.
(Hammer metal Grey Paint looks Different, and its Bright Undercarriage for nice Visibility in the Sky)

Its a Shame I Didn't get a Picture of it after its Horrific Maiden Months ago with the Motor Mount ripping off the whole nose of plane and then to its carnage doom to the Ground.
I think Gaz was there and Saw it ?
Here is the Link To The Hobbyking Pylon Racer
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=14417

Steve

thats a pretty cool plane, i think ill get one of those if/when i bury my tucano.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

G'day Stephen

Nice Stryker mods, 10*10 prop must be a tight fit. Seeing as the weather is so crap I was considering ruddering up my Stryker as today's project. Any hints for me there?

Cheers
Rob b

(13-06-2011, 08:53 AM)robair Wrote:  G'day Stephen

Nice Stryker mods, 10*10 prop must be a tight fit. Seeing as the weather is so crap I was considering ruddering up my Stryker as today's project. Any hints for me there?

Cheers
Rob b

Thanks Rob, And It Flies So Sweet its lots of Fun.

I Found it a little more Involved with the install of Rudders as i modded the motor mount and pushed the fins forward nearly two inches so i could get the 10x10 prop in and it will fit a 11 inch prop easy.
then i cut the back end lips flush where the fins hooked under.
As you can see the motor sits way back giving me room for rudders.
Servo install straight forward, just two cheap servos parallel together.

Guys agreed on Sat it's a Quiet Flier with the 10x10 and low kv motor but still shoots up in a blink.

Can Post more Detail pics if you want.
But if your going to leave the motor setup as is it should be a little easier.

Steve Smile

Hi guy's

Just completed a Hobby King Skyfun, ready for test flight, but i am concerned about the prop hitting a hand.

I have been working on a dolly for the last couple of days, tried it in the back yard ( very bumpy) and found it left the dolly to easily, though the field at NMAA club (Rosebud Vic) is a lot smoother.

I wondered if anyone has got a design that works ?

Modified with a EDF 2816 4600Kva with a 5.47 x5.47 prop SS 40amp ESC pulls 30 amps on 3S 2200 if i go to 4s jumps to 70 amps so will have to change ESC :-) but that's in the future.

Getting on a bit in years now and not quite so fast on the sticks, and a solo hand launch is scary.

My HK JetTiger ( modified motor ) flies well on 1500 3s even though it's a short time in the air.

Currently using the ASSAN 2.4 modules on JR388s X 4 of the blighters,
that's 32 model memory available and i am still ripping out receivers for new projects.

New box on the lounge floor ( HK 1.6 meter J3 clipped wing Cub the $114 version)at least i have all the stuff to complete it :-)

Reason for the post is to get some suggestions for a dolly or find out if someone has a working prototype.

Cheers TBBW

(01-07-2011, 10:51 AM)Tsurwolf Wrote:  Hi guy's

Just completed a Hobby King Skyfun, ready for test flight, but i am concerned about the prop hitting a hand.

I have been working on a dolly for the last couple of days, tried it in the back yard ( very bumpy) and found it left the dolly to easily, though the field at NMAA club (Rosebud Vic) is a lot smoother.

I wondered if anyone has got a design that works ?

Modified with a EDF 2816 4600Kva with a 5.47 x5.47 prop SS 40amp ESC pulls 30 amps on 3S 2200 if i go to 4s jumps to 70 amps so will have to change ESC :-) but that's in the future.

Getting on a bit in years now and not quite so fast on the sticks, and a solo hand launch is scary.

My HK JetTiger ( modified motor ) flies well on 1500 3s even though it's a short time in the air.

Currently using the ASSAN 2.4 modules on JR388s X 4 of the blighters,
that's 32 model memory available and i am still ripping out receivers for new projects.

New box on the lounge floor ( HK 1.6 meter J3 clipped wing Cub the $114 version)at least i have all the stuff to complete it :-)

Reason for the post is to get some suggestions for a dolly or find out if someone has a working prototype.

Cheers TBBW

I haven't actually built a dolly setup yet for the a bumpy ground as i hand launch mine and i understand your concern as you need to be a little quick on your fingers if your doing it your self.

I was Toying on the idea on paper and not sure if i have heard someone talk about it before too.
But using three pen like rods off the dolly that go into the planes belly via larger hole size and goes in quite a bit so it plane does not bounce out but hole bigger enough so once it leaves the ground the dolly falls out.
Pen like rods will required to be on some forward angle and dolly needs to be quite heavy so it does fall off plane.

I can try to sketch something up if need be if my wording is confusing.

Heh i may end up Building one as our Field is Bumpy and would be a bit of fun taking off from ground.

Only issues i can see is Steering which may have to be some sort of easy unplug with a front dolly wheel thats servo steerable and have to be some distance from ground as prop may hit ground on incline.

Or Do This

Steve Smile

Here is a photo of a dolly I found on rcgroups.
No details of how it was made but looks like it's
all just cut out of depron(including the wheels) and
some steel rod for an axle.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Made a dolly out of a "U" shape piece of 4mm ply and foam blocks, foam supports at front and rear ( about where the vertical stabs are) the plane at rest sits at about a 10 degree angle

Used small control horns sticking up from foam blocks into large "Sullivan" exit guides in the wing close to the leading edge at the wing root, after 3 tries got it to fly. think i will need a third in the nose to stop the plane from wandering of the dolly, that accounts for two failed attempts.

Directional control of the dolly was done with a spare receiver on rudder Chanel,and a steerable nose wheel using independent power, I had some spare large diameter wheels laying round and the plane pushes the dolly easily to liftoff speed.

Overall it's a work in progress but shows promise, must confess to being surprised with the flight performance of the Skyfun, slows right down for landing and show a good turn of speed, though wants to climb as speed increases, think that has to do with the angle of the motor thrust line or CoG. I did take advice from someones post and made balsa elevons with pin hinges, btw using PVA is not recommended as it takes forever to dry ( something to do with the lack of air ?) I wound up using the toothpick method ( balsa pins so i could sand them flush ) and covered the gap while covering the wing.

Cheers TBBW

Some pictures i took this morning for the dolly setup

Cheers TBBW                

Dolly Setup looks Good, It Does seem to look a little low to the ground, my concern would be of prop hitting ground, maybe larger wheels for some more height ?
and yes that is similar to what i was thinking except using pen like holders for a deeper hold but servo arms look like they will do the trick.
Have you Tested it out on the grass yet.

Steve Smile

Simon in regards to the A-10, I SWAPPED OUT the stock 3s ESC's to 25 amp 4s ESC's and Running 4s 2200ma 30c
Esc's i Using
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...oduct=2167
Cheaper Esc's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11616

[/align]

samste

I am using small props at this time, (under 6 inch) and the one successful launch did no prop damage, ordered some slightly larger ones for fiddling later on.

I added a third control horn/ exit guide at the nose, to stop the Skyfun from shifting side to side, backyard tracking appears ok.

Weekend wind and rain stopped any attempt at flight for now, so moving on to the other box in the lounge Biggrin

Clipped wind Cub 1600mm from Aus warehouse

Cheers TBBW

Back on a much older topic, have you seen this (http://www.rcsuperhero.com/index.html) site? maybe you could copy the skeleton and skin it?

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

(06-07-2011, 09:38 AM)Drew Wrote:  Back on a much older topic, have you seen this (http://www.rcsuperhero.com/index.html) site? maybe you could copy the skeleton and skin it?

I was hoping for a more realistic Flying Person using the blow up Mannequin with clothing, which i guess is alot harder to make into a flying machine.
i going to have to get my act together and start work on it.

For the ones not sure what were talking about, Thread link http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=88&pid=5067#pid5067

Steve

yep i wanna see this..
im still keen to see superman fly at australia day! Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i