Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

(16-09-2010, 06:19 PM)~KevJ~ Wrote:  good job mate , that may come in handy for the new guys, also if your selling a plane or something and somebody want to test her or something Smile

Yeah i thought that Too as well Sometimes someone might want to buddy someone on there own TX and plane etc.
Or you may want someone to be there if there maidening something new and a bit nervous as they can be in full control and simply switch over to slave and the co pilot can Take over if need Too.

Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Guys

Do You Think Using a Iron will shrink the bubble i have on a Main Wing Film ?

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

yeah definately , ive done this alot , the tucano i have was covered in bubbles and i went over the whole plane.. BUT be careful not too have the iron to hot and although you can get away with it sometimes DONT put the iron directly on the film, use a shirt or something and just come at it warm and then little by little increase heat and also obviously dont just slam the iron down and leave it there for 5 mins.. it will come out easy though all this aside.. Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

What Kev suggests is the way to go.
However, if you still find it impossible to remove the bubble
completely try just pricking the bubble with the point of a needle
and then apply some heat.
I used to use that method many years ago when I was building balsa models

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Thanks Guys for the Advice i ended up cutting the film to epoxy the balsa with in as it had a fracture/Break, from hard forced landing that was caused from pushing the limits to Standard Frame without Modifying motor mount and causing motor mount and front nose to give way in flight.
I have custom installed a new strong motor mount and appears to be fine with test Flight This Afternoon.

Pics Below of carnage and repairs, Used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=12587 for Repairs very Strong.

Funjet In Hanger waiting for 200 Amp Esc to Arrive has had a Mini Make Over.

Funjet Retractable Landing Gear, For Ground Take Off's, Still a Work In Progress as need to Replace Nose Retract so i can Make Steerable as currently Fixed in Postion. but ordered adaptor to make Steerable.

Steve Smile

Make nose strut longer, the mains look like a bit far back from the CoG

Gday Steve

At risk of sounding like a sexual deviate..Sick Biggrin
Your new glider looks dead bloody sexy. Thumbup

What is it?

Cheers
Rob B

I Have Finally decided To Do It, Since i have had the Fiberglass Cloth for several months Now, Inspired by pauls Glassing Job on His Plane.
Was going to use the existing Stryker Frame, But Decided to Go Fresh and keep the Old one as is as it Flies Great Still, Till the new One is Built and then Transfer over the Electric Setup, that so far hasn't let me Down.

Also Looking Forward to a Real Great Fluorescent Enamel Paint Job with High Gloss smooth Finish, Inspired by Gary's Funjet Paint Job.
But Still Keeping to the Fluorescent Yellow Top and Fluorescent Orange / Red underside as i find these the best colors for myself for Visibility in the Sky.

STRYKER NEW FRAME,FULLY GLASSED BUILD

I have Reinforced the Frame with Carbon Rod across and front and back leading edges, (original Wasn't) and across the Width of Frame.
Totally Glassed the back overlapping glass several inches To top side.

Once Dry will then Glass top Side overlapping to underside several inches, Therefore leading edges will be Super Strong and whole Frame Totally Glassed and super strong.

Here is a Close Up Of Cloth for those not Familar with Fine Cloth used.

Steve Smile

Steve - what sort of resin did you use? I got some stuff from Bunnings which was supposed to be suitable for surfboards, so I thought that would make it foam-safe, but it wasn't!
Cheers,
Stevem

Steve Murray

Nice work Steve,
I'm sure you will have a good strong airframe

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Thanks Paul, I'm Hoping for a Nice Strong Frame.

Steve M I'm Using the Water Based Polyurethane Bought From Bunnings.
Here is Link of Can Picture.
http://www.parramatta.rcflyingclub.com/m...php?tid=88&pid=151#pid151

Its Great Stuff.

Steve Smile

Thanks Steve - much appreciated!

Steve Murray

Stryker F27c Painted
I was going top go the whole Hog and Fully Glass with many layers and smooth to fine Finish but decided to fully glass back and front and back edges on top once. and giving extra layers to all edges and rear motor mount area.

Steve Smile

As always Steve
Youre build detail looks excellent.
Will be interesting to check the performance between the Stryker and the Funjet.
Now that the glass has been added it will obviously stiffen the airframe which may bring it performance characteristics up to the Funjets.
mmmm Interesting
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I wouldn't want the flying characteristics of a Stryker to be like the funjet, thats kind of a step backwards! Durability at speed however....

Stryker Build Continues
Balsa Ailerons, Custom Rc alloy Motor mount, Metal Gear Servos with Carbon Rod Sleeves on Rods.

Looking good Steve.
Nice paint job.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Yeah awesome work Steve lookin forward to seeing it, are you coming tomorrow?

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Stryker Finished

Serviced My Scorpion Motor Too With Bearing and Shaft Change Wink

But Dilemma Cannot Fly Both At Same Time Confused

Steve Smile

Hi All

Here is my HOBBY KING YAK MODIFICATION

After some discussion down field this is the way i gone,will be interesting how it goes now.
If It Flies Well then a nice new repaint will be in order.

Steve Smile

A Bit Windy but a Maiden was Necessary. Note the Stock Wheels on Yak Does Not like Landing on Grass but it's good for Take off on the Concrete.
Very Pleased with The Outcome, a 100% improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hG3sAc415U

Nice mod Steve
Certainly looks like a BIG improvment on the original.
Well done mate.
Maybe you should give HK a ring with your wing specs.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Text book way of reducing wing loading! Well done!

Good bit of work Samste - it would be easy to accidentally introduce a warped wing doing that, but it looks like you've nailed it.
Could I ask - what precisely was the motivation for doing this mod in the first place? I'd be interested to know ...

Steve Murray

in it's previous guise, it loved to tip stall if you even thought about looking at it the wrong way!

I see ... OK, tapered wings ... thanks K

Steve Murray

Hd Key Camera With My Custom Mount Using Lipo Connectors lol in the upright Position Now.
Works Well Though Will Give It a Run On Saturday.

Clever use of a plug there mate. Smile

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Several hours in the workshop and Glider Revamped and ready to Go again.

Before

Now

Steve Smile