Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Stephen's Plane Build's, Mods, Techniques etc

YEP . KING OF EDF . will be watching here .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(11-03-2013, 07:39 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  YEP . KING OF EDF . will be watching here .

LOL, I Just Love Fast sweet sounding Machines.

Three Coats In and One More to go then 24 Hours of Good hardening before i commence the Install of controls and electrics.
10 min to coat and i'm letting it dry a lot more than normal, coated last night, this morning, this afternoon, and one more Tonight.

Fyi

I use Water Based Cabothane Clear By Cabots (Polyurethane Clear)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Another 1.5 Hours of Build Fitting fins, Elevons Hinged and glued.
Canopy Customed to make 6s Lipo Slide In easier.

Total Hours Of Build Now 5.5 Hours

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Looking real good Steve !!
It's going to go hard on 6S !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hey Steve. What size battery are you running in yours?

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I did have a 2700ma 6s 65-130c nano, but lost that in the power Hit.
(This was a good weight at 468grams and kept it a bit lighter but flight times were short)

I still Have the Zippy Compact 3300 35c that i use to have but it did get hot with the pounding i gave it so I have bought a 3300ma 35-70c nano at 518grams that will give me more air time.

Ideally the lighter the better, but i did not notice too much difference except it was not as floaty.
If you want it to be a real floater then lighter the better but for high speed crusing circuits Nose Heavy the Go.

(Floaty it was on 5s as Lipo, alot lighter so thats an option for gliding flights)

Steve

samste and gliding - ying and yang . LOL .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

Steve
Where do you set your C of G on the Stryker with the 90mm EDF.
I've had a bit of an epiphany and decieded not to buy any more new aircraft until I get all the beasties in the wardrode in the sky, so until the Stryker, the Viper and the big Rare Bear are on the wing, I will not buy anything else... Honest!
As this is my first Stryker it would be nice to have it close to the money on the maiden so I don't have to deal with multiple issues while I am trying to come to grips with said beast.
Thanks mate
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

The true CoG of the Stryker C airframe is on the dimples inside the finger launching grips.

Gazz I know how feel, I've said similar thing's in the past but somehow they still have a habbit of arriving just when you least expect it Wink

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Kieran Is Right, Though i Tend to Fly It Nose Heavy. As it seems to fly sweet That way, especially at high Speed and tend to give it elevator when floating.

Finally All Done 9.5 hours Total Build Time ( casual, lazy pace)

Steve Biggrin

Beast . Top colours

Nice one Steve !! That's going to fairly hoot along !!
Does it use the same fan unit as the previous one or does this one have an extra blade or two ?

(15-03-2013, 06:13 AM)secant0give Wrote:  Nice one Steve !! That's going to fairly hoot along !!
Does it use the same fan unit as the previous one or does this one have an extra blade or two ?

Same Setup, It works and well.

Steve

I manage to get two cool Flights In with The Stryker Edf Today after a long afternoon Mowing Smile

The motor on this Edf seems to be a little higher rpm than the 1900kv Spec as it was Fassssst.

Wasn't Happy with the Clearance of Edf and Grass when Landing so i Installed Some Fixed Wheel Setup , Low Profile Fit.

That is an awesome setup Steve, very impressed. Love the colour scheme

Wow that was quick !!
Nicely done !! It should be able to take off from the ground now !!
The strip is certainly smooth enough and it has enough thrust to leap into the air !!

Manage to finish one of many Projects that i started over a year ago but put on back burner.

Took it Up Today and yep its Fast and Torquee, but i need to remind myself to put very soft start on Esc Setting to avoid snapping off motor shaft. As This Happened Today on second full throttle up motor shaft snap as i gave it full throttle very quickly and Then Had to call out Dead Stick Landing and 3 Minutes Later i landed Biggrin ( Jason in background saying Thermal Thermal)

Sorry No Build Pictures as it was a project Started a long Time Ago, It has alot of reinforced carbon and alloy rods in main wing, Tail and glass matting on front nose for motor mounting.
Customed main 1 piece wing mount and canopy cover.
100 amps full load and lots and lots of watts

Steve

Video of the Stryker today

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Thanks pete for the upload of video of Stryker Edf, does look fast when you watch it on the video, But It Just Seems not as fast when i'm Flying It. Smile

Talking about Speed the Glder Setup is fast but now its faster with the Prop Change This afternoon to 8x9 speed Prop, tested 105 amps 1500 watts.
I also added more glassed resin to mount for main wing front clip in as it had a small crack from the 90 degree turns at high speed today, this was the noise heard in the air.
Main wing and everything else seems to cope with the High G's for the moment.

Crash Test Dummy HotLiner Glider still Proto Testing for the finished version.

Steve Smile

That sounds awesome SAMSTE . love the fact we have someone in the club thats right into this stuff . .

Going To Give the A Spec a Go to see if it is worthy of all its Specs that it announces.

Been Using the Nano Tech 6s and Zippy Compact 6s In The Stryker Edf

I have Found after about 15 Flights Now with The Nano Tech Has lost Its Punch.
With Speeds of 278kmh + and last Test I did i wass Lucky to get 240kmh
The Zippy Compact is in the Same Vote but Heh its Half The Price so you would expect This.

My A Spec Below Ready for a Testing and beating.

Steve Smile

Just Came in at Hobbyking new Arrivals
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...v_DC_.html

Could have done with this on Sunday for my Lipo Posted in above Thread.
Definately Killed a cell with a 140 amps pushing through when lipo was very cold.
Was Not Thinking about it at the Time as Normally Lipos are not so bad cold when you only draw normal amps out of them and not pushing there limits like i do on the Stryker edf

Lessoned Learned Frown , Luckily landed Stryker edf, dead stick with minimal damage.

Notes - Normally get 3 Minute Flights, This Flight was less than 2 Minutes with Dead Stick.
My esc Is Set to 3.0v cutoff thus to avoid undesirable Deadsticks but normally come down with 3.5 - 3.7v per cell.
Lipo Check after dead stick revealed 3.03v,3.03v,3.08v,3.01v,3.02v, 2.05v

Not Bothering with A specs or nanos anymore going for the cheaper zippys compact too i find something thats better.
Even when i flew it before on warmer days it was not that much better than a zippy.

Hobbyking Arrow Pylon Racer/Glider 1228mm (PNF) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._PNF_.html

Started My Rc Missile Speed Build Modifications,

Motor Mount Strengthening and Mounting, Full Carbon 1 piece Wing Painted.

(06-09-2013, 07:41 PM)samste Wrote:  Started My Rc Missile Speed Build Modifications,

Motor Mount Strengthening and Mounting, Full Carbon 1 piece Wing Painted.

Lookin' good What motor are you using ?

Can you post a link to the specs for the air frame please Steve.

I bought this on impulse when in came in on the New Items Section On hobbyking,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._PNF_.html

Not what i was Expecting as i originally just wanted to put togeter as built PNF and Do Just That.

Very Disappointed in the Build Supplied Pnf,
Motor mount was flimsy, Main Wing Original Fixing Mount basically Snapped off giving it the pull apart test once secured.
Internal Motor gave it a Yank and front motor mount Cracked.
Motor Shaft was Bent as well, Cog Was Impossible to get at that config setup without weight to Tail.

Hence i gave it a little work over and keeping the same weight, swapped out motor, New ESc Installed towards back of Plane to center cog better with a lighter motor helping out as well, redid main wing mount alloy plate and nut and bolt.
Servo Rods replaced and rehinged badly designed. Elevator plastic hinges as it was very flimsy

Lets now see how it Flies, as i not going to spend anymore time on it as I prefer to do my GL Speedy Mod Build again with my spare ready to go with added strengthening to stop the wings from spreading apart and snapping at high G's.

Photos completed less servo protectors/ drag reducer, as they dont fit either,
3s Setup Approx 500 Watts 7x6 , 50 amps , motor comes down cool full throttle constant.
4s setup 1013 Watts 7x6 Prop, 80 amps , motor bursting only on full throttle, warm to hot. (caution with throttle control as motor can get super hot and burn out)
Ntm prop drive28-36 1800kv will run constant on 4s 7x6 prop but less top speed.
Need To experiment with Props as im after Torque Speed not Top Speed, Hence 7 Inch but 6 Inch may work Well,
Though Its Low Noise Rc With 7 Inch Prop which is Good as 5x5 etc brings out the high Pitch Noise.

It's gunna go good with over 1000W !!

Looking very nice Steve !!

I can mould you some nice servo/linkage fairings for it if you like. They can be trimmed to fit just about anything

Test flight tomorrow ??

After My MisHap Take Off on My Fourth Flight, I Slightly Crack the Fuselage.

So i Did a Epoxy Fiberglass Mat Fix on The inner for double Strength and gave it a Bright Color Make Over.

AS the Original Colors where very Hard to See in the Air.

Went The Green Craze White Look for Fuselage, It's Different Wink

2200kv prop drive, with 80amp esc 7x6 prop 2200ma 3s nano, sweet and fast. (on 4s 1300ma super fast but motor gets verrry hot short bursts only )
2200kv prop drive with 80 amp esc 6x5 prop 1300ma 4s nano, sweet and very fast.

Steve

That's a nice visible colour scheme !!
You won't loose that in the air !

Pterodactyl Ornithopter EPP Composite 1300mm Green pnf version

Hooking Up the Sound Module to your tx and rx

I found that the plug and play version the sound module will not work unless your using the RTF version tx and rx.

Everywhere on the web i found people having the same issue, even hobbyking chat could not help , "Just Plug into gear switch and all will work" They Said.
NOT THAT EASY I SAID, TRIED THAT AND ALL SETTINGS

Here is my Fix and Ready for Maiden on Weekend.

Using A Turnigy Receiver Control switch, link below

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...gy%20recei

I found that when i shorted out the positive and signal wire the sound would operate.
So i fitted the Turnigy Receiver Control switch to gear input and the relay output was used to short the Positive and signal wire of the Sound Module Lead.
and Just bridge over the negative and positive Individully.

Images attached

WARNING, DO NOT CONNECT ALARM LEAD TO RX AS THIS IS 12 VOLTS AND MAY DAMAGE UNIT/ RX
(THIS IS USED FOR RX OF RTF KIT THAT COMES WITH TX AND RX)

Future Mods to this Bird, Glide Lock mechanism for wings
Love to Install something like this into this Bird, but will maiden and fly it for a while before i start pulling it apart to mod

http://ovirc.free.fr/GLDAB_English.php

Link Above Interesting glide module